• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Berordn

Anyone else not like the new lighting system? No, I'm not talking about shadows or liquid detail, but some of the lighting doesn't look very good, at least on my monitor. Example: make a draenei, and look at the character select screen. Wasn't that dark before.

There's a new (ugly) bloom effect that you can disable through a console command, though what it is escapes me. Turning it off for me made everything look normal again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't get why they didn't just make it baseline (without the haste penalty, even). So many glyphs, so little space.

The Earthquake glyph should be baseline, no doubt.

I don't think our main spell should be baseline castable while moving, I agree with the glyph.

Enosh

It's a good UI, but I prefer to make my own from scratch with various addons
I tried that, everything I tried came out looking like shit :(
anyway 75 on priest, still on course for hitting 85 before mist, will probably make this my primary alt in mop

Tamanon

Banned
For the record, Penance is absolutely brutalizing while leveling. Hit 70 on my priest and not slowing down at all. One penance wrecks mobs.

ampere

For the record, Penance is absolutely brutalizing while leveling. Hit 70 on my priest and not slowing down at all. One penance wrecks mobs.

Yeah I just leveled two disc priests with RAF (no heirlooms) and I would routinely be #1 and #2 damage unless there was a lot of AoE. Penance is just ridiculous right now

It's also absolutely amazing with the glyph that lets you cast it while moving, and the holy fire glyph that makes that spell instant

mileS

Anyone else not like the new lighting system? No, I'm not talking about shadows or liquid detail, but some of the lighting doesn't look very good, at least on my monitor. Example: make a draenei, and look at the character select screen. Wasn't that dark before.

The new lighting system makes a lot of things darker. That one character select screen looks a bit strange yes.. but the game looks 1000x better overall with it on. I can't go back anymore.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I just leveled two disc priests with RAF (no heirlooms) and I would routinely be #1 and #2 damage unless there was a lot of AoE. Penance is just ridiculous right now

It's also absolutely amazing with the glyph that lets you cast it while moving, and the holy fire glyph that makes that spell instant

I completely missed the new Glyph of Penance. Time to snag it!

Entropia

No One Remembers

Ooh, I think I'm gonna dual box/RAF Priests then! :D

Draxal

Man, Blizz really don't know what the hell they did with the argent tournament status after faction xfers (account wide achievement features have really screwed it up). I unlocked the Crusader title before a faction change, still have it due to xfeature achievement, but I can't unlock the dragon daily which is the easiest one qq.

johnsmith

remember me
Hows the MOP gear transition going to be? How much stronger will you be at 90?

This will never stop being true.
green_is_new_purple.jpg

There was discussion about doing something about the exponential increases in power every expansion a year ago, but nothing came of it. The power increase will be about the same as all the previous expansions.

ampere

This will never stop being true.
http://brian.carnell.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/green_is_new_purple.jpg[IMG]

There was discussion about doing something about the [URL="http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3258652"]exponential increases in power every expansion[/URL] a year ago, but nothing came of it. The power increase will be about the same as all the previous expansions.[/QUOTE]

Indeed. Health pools will go from 150k-ish to 400k-ish

They're going to have to do something about the size of the numbers at least behind the scenes. Unless they make 64 bit WoW mandatory which I don't think would happen.

I would not be surprised if there was an item squish in the next expansion pack.

Westlo

MOP 83 level green 2h sword > deathwing 2h.

83 and 84 MOP greens gonna sell like hotcakes to people who want to pvp in those brackets as well as level quickly.

Tamanon

Banned
Hmm, pretty bad dk bug on the servers right now. Lot of carnage in town from DK diseases being cast on friendly targets, not even PvP flagged.

ampere

Hmm, pretty bad dk bug on the servers right now. Lot of carnage in town from DK diseases being cast on friendly targets, not even PvP flagged.

Interesting. From researching it, it looks like it's in the same vein of bugs as the Frost mage macros that could kill friendly NPCs.

I don't know how to do it personally, but I read about it

Tamanon

Banned
Interesting. From researching it, it looks like it's in the same vein of bugs as the Frost mage macros that could kill friendly NPCs.

I don't know how to do it personally, but I read about it

I think it's just something as simple as "/cast Frost fever"

sazzy

I killed a few NPCs and tried it on a couple of level 85's (who didn't die).

One of them started crying about 'omg baaaan Fearus plzzzzzz!!!!!!'

sigh

Tarazet

So now I have a geared Guardian Druid at 85 and a Protection Paladin that just hit 85 today. Pondering what to do with the Paladin. I loved Prot when leveling up, but since 5.0.4, the Druid is just so much more fun to play. It just feels like I'm fumbling with buttons all the time on my Paladin now that the cooldowns are so long, and positioning is, as always, a giant pain. (I accept that threat is a problem since I'm ungeared and playing with epic geared 85's.)

Since I am enjoying the bear much more than the Paladin when tanking, and I hate the way Retribution plays, I feel kind of stuck. It's kind of compounded by the fact that my partner doesn't seem to know what to do in MoP.. he has a Druid, a Priest, a Paladin, and a Mage all at 85, and a Rogue, Hunter, Warrior, Shaman, and Warlock between 80 and 84. He has massive experience and could do anything, but doesn't seem to be committing. Most of the time he's on his Shaman or Priest healing me through dungeons, since we get instant queue pops 24 hours a day, but I have no idea if that's what he intends to keep doing when MoP lands. Neither of us are going to go crazy looking for realm first achievements or anything.. just looking to have the best experience with the new expansion.

sazzy

Is there a way to change font size in the chat/loot boxes in ElvUI?

The tiny text has been driving me up the wall and I can't find the text size option.

I see there are text size options for headers and everything else BUT the chat/loot window text :(

Elemental is terrible and Entropia needs to quit preaching that it *could* be good at 90. It's in dire need of reworking / buffing!
Actually, Entropia should continue to preach that it could be good at 90. Blizzard has stated repeatedly that all classes are balanced around level 90 now and that any buff/nerf requests are going to be ignored at 85. As glum as you are about this spec, you truly are going to have to wait until 90 to see just how good it is.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I have some antivirus concerns, directly related to World of Warcraft, and I'm hoping to get som advice. The deal is that I currently have no antivirus solution (my subscription for Norton 360 expired some time ago) and I lack money to purchase a new one like Norton or NOD32. At least I won't be able to purchase any of those programs until November this year. I do have enough money to purchase Mists of Pandaria, and I want to be able to play that game without fear of having my account hacked etc.

I will be more than satisfied to exclusively play World of Warcraft on my Windows 7 computer, I don't need to access any web pages or other games over the internet and I have no desire to transfer any decadent imagery or video to my computer. Content I disabled through Internet Options include all cookies, images, video, sound, ActiveX controllers and some other things. If I install let's say Microsoft Security Essentials until I can get hold of a better solution, will that and the configurations I have done be enough to keep my Battle.net account safe, or can more be done? I don't have access to reinstall Windows, so if a virus gets in and starts messings things up, I might be without a computer to play World of Warcraft on (my Mac mini computer is no longer compatible with the game). Any help is appreciated.

Note: Computer security isn't my area of expertise, so I acknowledge my message may appear a bit too cautious.

Rösti;42154949 said:
I have some antivirus concerns, directly related to World of Warcraft, and I'm hoping to get som advice. The deal is that I currently have no antivirus solution (my subscription for Norton 360 expired some time ago) and I lack money to purchase a new one like Norton or NOD32. At least I won't be able to purchase any of those programs until November this year. I do have enough money to purchase Mists of Pandaria, and I want to be able to play that game without fear of having my account hacked etc.

I will be more than satisfied to exclusively play World of Warcraft on my Windows 7 computer, I don't need to access any web pages or other games over the internet and I have no desire to transfer any decadent imagery or video to my computer. Content I disabled through Internet Options include all cookies, images, video, sound, ActiveX controllers and some other things. If I install let's say Microsoft Security Essentials until I can get hold of a better solution, will that and the configurations I have done be enough to keep my Battle.net account safe, or can more be done? I don't have access to reinstall Windows, so if a virus gets in and starts messings things up, I might be without a computer to play World of Warcraft on (my Mac mini computer is no longer compatible with the game). Any help is appreciated.

Note: Computer security isn't my area of expertise, so I acknowledge my message may appear a bit too cautious.
IT Professional here. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is an excellent AV solution and you should rest assured with that scanning your machine. I wouldn't worry about a "better solution," because we'd be splitting hairs then.

Another excellent free AV software program is MalwareBytes. It isn't an active solution (it doesn't constantly scan your machine), but manually running weekly scans will catch damned near anything MSE can't handle or missed.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
IT Professional here. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is an excellent AV solution and you should rest assured with that scanning your machine. I wouldn't worry about a "better solution," because we'd be splitting hairs then.

Another excellent free AV software program is MalwareBytes. It isn't an active solution (it doesn't constantly scan your machine), but manually running weekly scans will catch damned near anything MSE can't handle or missed.
Thank you very much. Seems I'll be playing Mists of Pandaria come the 25th then. :)

ampere

Rösti;42155249 said:
Thank you very much. Seems I'll be playing Mists of Pandaria come the 25th then. :)

I'm going to chime in and confirm what DJ said is good advice. You could get adblock for your browser as well (of course put GAF and other sites you trust on whitelist).

Also, do you have a Battle.net authenticator? It's a really good extra layer of security, it's *almost* impossible to get hacked with one enabled. You can get a dongle for $5, or a free app for a smartphone.
They also have a phone service that you call in that isn't as good, but it's something.

I think it's just something as simple as "/cast Frost fever"
Oh wow, that is simple. I wonder if they take any action on people griefing with it

Sciz

Elemental is terrible and Entropia needs to quit preaching that it *could* be good at 90. It's in dire need of reworking / buffing!

The level 90 talents are all straight dps increases, the 87 ability is an outrageously powerful cooldown, and it's still the most mobile spec in the entire game. Chillax, bro.

Kuntz

To whoever mentioned openraid here on gaf .... thank you sir, this has made completing achievements and raid not a chore .. good people, nice idea. I'll stick with this for mop.

Also : forget auctioneer, tradeskillmaster is the bad boy to make money

Berordn

To whoever mentioned openraid here on gaf .... thank you sir, this has made completing achievements and raid not a chore .. good people, nice idea. I'll stick with this for mop.

Also : forget auctioneer, tradeskillmaster is the bad boy to make money

Unfortunately, MoP raids won't be available cross-realm on day 1, so you'll have to stick to old content until T15 lands.

sazzy

So... uh.... is anyone else like, poor in real life, and make a lot of gold in WoW/professions, and feel good about it?

I've been looking for part-time work for the 8 weeks now and I'm completely out of luck. Doesn't help that I moved to Sydney [overpriced - exaggerated - worth my asshole's content's]. Seriously, dunno if I want to stay here.

'No asshole, your 'beached as' accent is the one with the accent, not me.' Fucking moron.

Yeah I'm mad tonight, sue me.

So... uh.... is anyone else like, poor in real life, and make a lot of gold in WoW/professions, and feel good about it?

I use Warcraft as an outlet for spending when I'm depressed. Safer for my real bank account that way because while I'm not exactly poor, I shouldn't be spending frivolously or I'll find my way there really fast.

So it looks like you need an ilevel of 353 to do the Theramore event. I'm going to have to gear up some of my alts if I want to run them all through it :(

So it looks like you need an ilevel of 353 to do the Theramore event. I'm going to have to gear up some of my alts if I want to run them all through it :(

Yeah...

My DK should be fine, and maybe my shaman (I could gear him up quick), but I think my warrior may be fucked since he was still in half quest greens/blues. Druid I would have to level one or two levels.

Rokam

Have they made an official announcement on what time Pandaria will be open? I'm assuming midnight PST, but I saw some screenshots of it being EST.

Top Bottom