• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

sazzy

And that everyone, is the send off Theramore gets for getting permanently wiped off the map. That scenario was an insult to the entire WoW community and salt on an open wound for Alliance players. Even with the "it's not a real pre-launch event, it's just a quick scenario" argument, its still a piece of shit. There was simply no thought or effort put into it. It was lifeless and lazy on a whole new scale and to top it off, it takes less then 10 min to clear it. Seriously, the first part of "Escape from Durnholde Keep" where you take out the guards and set the buildings on fire and kill Lieutenant Drake is far better then the entirety of this so called scenario.

Fucking pathetic no matter which way you look at it and everyone that cried a river over the zombie invasion event can piss off.

Yeah, but is it a SLAP IN THE FACE!?

I haven't played since 2008, so I started a battle.net account today and I had to call in to get my WoW account merged. The guy told me about a Scroll of Resurrection. Does anyone have one of those?

Please PM US realm. I plan on sub'ing at least 1 month so you would get your mount.

Thanks

Edit: or should I wait for a special offer after MoP comes out?

Edit 2: Thank you to Rokam and Bizazedo for getting back to me.

Right now, it'll last until MoP I think, then it gets converted into a Lv90 Scenario.

Pretty sure it's one week only and then it's gone forever.

I tried it. It was lame. It made no sense as far as the in-game story goes. Maybe it would make sense if I read Tides of War, but I didn't. As far as the game goes, we went from, Thrall's brown girlfriend is having his baby to, the Horde is dropping a nuke on Theramore. We have no explanation, no back story, nothing.

I think the scenario system has a ton of potential, but they really need to start putting in the story from the books into the game. Really that made no fucking sense.

It was boring.

That's the first adjective that comes to mind. And Theramore is forever destroyed on my Horde character. I liked having Theramore there as the Alliance town in the middle of Horde territory. I wish they'd let you choose whether or not you want to phase to the new situation after the scenario was done. Theramore doesn't get destroyed in the Alliance version does it?

It was seriously underwhelming.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hopefully all other scenarios aren't that short and simple... did anyone played them in the beta or were they unavailable?

JCizzle

Hopefully all other scenarios aren't that short and simple... did anyone played them in the beta or were they unavailable?

That's their purpose though - short and simple with no tank/healer requirements. Challenge mode dungeons is the content aimed at the opposite spectrum.

I could really care less if they were easy as long as they actually have effort put into them. The Fall of Theramore has every sign of being rushed together over a weekend.

Sophia

That's their purpose though - short and simple with no tank/healer requirements. Challenge mode dungeons is the content aimed at the opposite spectrum.

Short and simple doesn't have to mean completely unspiring, unpolished, and downright bland.

I couldn't really care less if they were easy as long as they actually have effort put into them. The Fall of Theramore has every sign of being rushed together over a weekend.

:p

No, it's one week at 85. Turns into a level 90 with Mists launch.

I'm not sure why people are saying otherwise. They've been saying from the very beginning it would be available at 90. Heck I think it was in the patch notes even...

JCizzle

Short and simple doesn't have to mean completely unspiring, unpolished, and downright bland.

That's fair I guess, I don't think it's quite that bad, but to each their own. The biggest issue to me was no real explanation of why you're there, even if it's some initial dialogue you can skip after the first time, or a ongoing explanation by an NPC at each stage while you're there.

I get that but I mean... I'm a healer at heart, with my Holy Priest. I thought I could have some fun playing Shadow in scenarios. Go pew pew in these ones and just have a different kind of fun. But it's not fun. I can't even get some form of AoE going because mobs die in 3 seconds. Bosses die in 20 seconds and I don't even get (or need) to pop my DoTs more than once during the fight. It's just too easy. Like this, considering any scenario WILL be more interesting in terms of location/lore (ie, everything not gameplay related), they'll be nice to see a new location, see a bit of story... And then never play it again. Some dungeons are absolute classics (to me, the 3 ICC ones, Utgarde, a few more...) but even if the upcoming scenarios are fantastic, if the gameplay inside them is the same as the Ther. Sce. they'll just feel bland, to me at least.

I just can't see Scenarios working out for me if the gameplay is like in the only released one. There's no satisfaction in playing them. Not even the fights. At a point in my life in which I'll never play for more than 1 month in a row, one good gameplay experience is the only thing I need to have fun, it's not even about loot or being a healer 100% of the time. It's too easy as it is.

I'm still torn on whether to buy the expansion. I had the beta, I should've just played it for free and see the new zones. I don't have much money to be able to spend the expansion + sub and Scenarios, on paper, looked extremely interesting, but so far the only one is just wrong in nearly everything. The whole MoP package seemed (and still does) very interesting from the get go and I was willing to spend the money for it, but this first Scenario (coupled with 7 days Blizz offered me) did nothing but think it's one bullet point less to the expansion, and coupled with non-existant changes to Holy Priests (from what I've played so far in 5.0.5), I just have to consider my money very carefully.

Sophia

That's fair I guess, I don't think it's quite that bad, but to each their own. The biggest issue to me was no real explanation of why you're there, even if it's some initial dialogue you can skip after the first time, or a ongoing explanation by an NPC at each stage while you're there.

I think the biggest insult was the fact that I can solo it yet I had to find two other people just to avoid the 20+ minute queue. They kept treating this like it was a much more functional successor to the group quests of old, and it was anything but that.

Actually, it'd be a lot more fun solo. At least there'd be a risk of dying.

Ultratech

Isn't Kalecgos impossible to solo because of the mechanics? Or did they fix it so it doesn't glitch out?

*shrug*

They're sitting around in a building when you're doing the Horde side of the scenario.
It's Jaina (Boss-level; will aggro), Kalecgos (Neutral), and another neutral mob. Needless to say, they wipe the floor with you VERY quickly.

Sophia

Oh, I haven't seen the horde version, as I play almost exclusively Alliance. Didn't know that. thought you meant the Kalecgos boss in Sunwell and was like "Wat?"

I'd be tempted to try them if I could get a 10m raid in there. :p

Killing wild horses in Hillsbrad Foothills for the Black Tabby has been especially soul crushing. I've been camping the spawn point, so it's basically non-stop kills. Deleting shit out of my bag every 10 seconds...a group of horses spawning every few seconds...if I miss one I have to go track it down somewhere along their path. It's intense.

Man, why is the one cat in the game that happens to look like my cat such a rare drop!? I must've killed 1k already...went to bed last night with visions of running horses trying to slip by me. This thing better drop tonight.

hooray :)

j1bsZ.jpg

Tarazet

Got a spiffy-looking pirate sword on my Paladin from Theramore, but it was the DPS variety. Still going to be tits for transmog.

For the one who says that's the worst thing he's ever done in WoW.. Culling of Stratholme.

ch0mp

It was boring.

That's the first adjective that comes to mind. And Theramore is forever destroyed on my Horde character. I liked having Theramore there as the Alliance town in the middle of Horde territory. I wish they'd let you choose whether or not you want to phase to the new situation after the scenario was done. Theramore doesn't get destroyed in the Alliance version does it?

It was seriously underwhelming.
Yep, it's gone.

sazzy

Underwhelming start to the expansion.

If I hadn't already played the beta, I wouldnt have much hope for the game.

Robin64

Amusingly enough, most people on my server don't actually know this is live. Every time it's mentioned in chat, there are so many people asking what it is and where you go to find it. Horrible communication.

Why is there nothing in game about it? There should at least be large Theramore/Orgrimmar banners in the cities along with NPCs that call you to battle. And they should function as a queue trigger, much like the NPCs in the cities when a holiday event is on. Not making something like that is just so lazy. And I really doubt adding an NPC and a flag would have taken any time at all.

Oh and apparently they've stealth-hotfixed it so that mobs have double health.

Fjordson

I'm excited for MoP proper so I'm not too upset about this, but it wasn't very...exciting. As someone who hasn't read the book this comes from, I was a pretty apathetic towards it. Sort of bland really. Could have done with some more context as to what's currently going on I guess.

mileS

I wonder if the Mini Mana Bomb will change to the tabard if you faction change or if thats something they overlooked. Because once MoP hits you wont be able to get either anymore apparently. Someone tweet GC for me :p

I came back with the free week just to see this Theramore thing. lol! My guild is a ghost town. I've seen 3 people log in once over the last 3 days. Most people have not played in weeks or months. They could have at least put pet battles in to help people pass the time. Besides Theramore and the new talents, it's just the same old shit.

I never got rid of the 'stuck on the loading screen' problem. Once in a while I just get stuck on the loading screen while doing a dungeon/scenario, and all I can do is restart the game. It's so annoying.

Sethos

Banned
I never got rid of the 'stuck on the loading screen' problem. Once in a while I just get stuck on the loading screen while doing a dungeon/scenario, and all I can do is restart the game. It's so annoying.

Oh you have that too? I was dealing with that for months, even after Windows re-install it was still an issue - Never found a fix for it. It was especially bad in the latest instances added ( HoT etc. )

Bizazedo

Oh and apparently they've stealth-hotfixed it so that mobs have double health.
Yeah, that was "hilarious".

Suddenly the scenario was taking way longer.

I think the main problem is that the scenario is built like the holiday fights. Queue up, you may or may not get the loot that you want.

Problem is, it's a lot LONGER than the holiday fights, you can do it more than 5 times in a row, and you're still not guaranteed any loot.

On the bright side, you get JP's! Not that anyone cares.

So, yeah, this is lackluster.

I'm also not a fan of being put in Orgrimmar. I'd rather go back to where I was when I entered.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In response to the Theramore scenario:

Zarhym said:
Was never meant to be a world event. It's the first Scenario of the game. Tons more content coming next week!
Source: https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/247908866019438594

Very poor wording here, for it could seem there's something more than this scenario coming. But Mists of Pandaria launches on Tuesday, so that would give them only one day to do something. Anything could happen of course, but I'm not counting on it. It's probably just referring to launch.

As for the scenario itself, I find it completely underwhelming. There's no challenge, no original mob design and the lore is explained very poorly (as in an attempt to get people to purchase the recently launched novel Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War by Christie Golden, to know the true story). Even the loot is unoriginal with very ugly weapons. The tabard is ok though.

In an attempt to find something interesting with this scenario, I explored the entire instance. It features a lot of invisible (not impenetrable) walls and that irritating fog effect to prevent people from venturing to places that aren't intended for them. But it was no match really to navigate. I travelled to Onyxia's Lair (features the gate and an invisible wall at the place of the instance portal, I couldn't go through it but I reckon it could possible with this recently discovered method). I also went to Alcaz Island but there wasn't anything interesting there, no changes to the prison complex as far as I could see.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait. Alliance got a tabard, and horde got what, exactly? I don't even remember...

Entropia

No One Remembers
In terms of the lore, I'm pretty disappointed. Without having read the novel, I have no idea why I am freeing some Blood Elf, I have no idea who he is. Hell, I have no idea why we're bombing this place to begin with.

Was it someone on here felt like we were just playing in a commercial for the book? We're giving absolutely no details, but if we want to find out more - READ THE BOOK!

This has been something that's been bothering me since Sunwell Plateau. Blizzard throws in all these things OUTSIDE of the game through books, comics, etc. Another great example was Baine dying, that wasn't really anywhere in the game was it? I mean, it was talked about, it was touched on, but we never actually saw it.

I get that Blizzard wants to have the lore be open through various mediums, but we should be able to see and interact with everything that happens in the books - not just get mentions of them.

The only thing this does is help make sense of why in the introduction cinema of Mists there's a naval battle, the war has truly been re-sparked. But even though, it's kind of weak considering the Horde and Alliance are generally always at war.

ALSO: Are we going to create a new OP for Mists or just ride this one out? (Are we allowed to make a new OT?)

strafer

For the love of god; don't create an OT, it will be filled with GW2 vs MoP or people hating the shit out of the game, let's just use this.

Top Bottom