• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
and done, priest at 85, will probably be my primary alt in MoP, really enjoying it
2 days, 12h played
already spend 2.6k gold on the blue pvp shit in order to do HoT ^^
but i don't think I can level another alliance character, got 3 now already and the BC/Northrend and cata zones were already boring as hell (vanilla part was nice since I went with kalimdor this time)
oh well will probably level a blood elf warlock in mop

@one post up: don't think it's open for US yet, but not sure

Should have just waited a week for MOP greens.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I don't know why any of you are assuming WoW is going to stop getting expansion backs when Titan launches. That isn't how MMOs work, especially ones still hovering around 10 million subs. The WoW team may shrink if Titan takes off and WoW's subs decline, but that just means smaller or less frequent expansion packs, not the end of expansion packs. EQ1 didn't die when EQ2 came out, and EQ1 is still getting frequent expansion packs. In that situation the game was literally a sequel, and for a game that pulled in much less revenue than WoW.

WoW would need to lose something like 98% of it's current subscribers in order for them to really think about turning the servers off or stopping live development. WoW will continue to live as long as even a small fraction of it's players are willing to pay them monthly.

Because cannibalizing their own market would be dumb? WoW has a set ending in the works for some time now? What is supposed to be an expansion after we do a Burning Legion set?

The frequency of updates and new content can't keep up like this much longer (inb4 hurr durr what updates?) it updates a lot more than most MMOs, with an expac every 2 years almost to the letter, it won't be a good thing to keep going with another MMO going at the same time.

I got a couple ideas, but they're all pretty far-fetched I admit. Somewhere in here Allen Adham says that Blizzard is going to make a new MMO, before someone else does it.

For the longest time I thought Titan was going to be a non-competitor to WoW. Some F2P something-or-other, maybe some kind of console game. If anyone could do it they could right? Well it's been years now and WoW is 1 1/2 years off the 10 year mark. Going for another 10 just doesn't seem plausable to me is all. I know right now it seems like it would be dumb, but they are slowly shedding subscribers. Putting their eggs into one basket and releasing a new Warcraft MMO (and lets be realistic, they haven't made a new IP in over 15 years, it's gonna be WoW2) that is a reboot or redux or sequel to WoW is what I can see happening. Like someone else said, EQ2 being released killed EQ, and it didn't do too well itself. TOR came out and killed SWG, not the same developer but it was up to Lucasarts I'd imagine. It probably would've worked out better if TOR didn't flop, but it's not unheard of.

I don't know if the expac after MOP will be the final, but I'd bet money that it's a Burning Legion Focused one. It's being heavily hinted at in the MoP Narrative. The Klaxxi and Wrathion storyline is foreshadowing a need for the Alliance and Horde to work together very soon. Whether or not it's some sort of Burning Crusade "cataclysm" that re-shapes the 60-70 experience and we re-visit outland, or if it's a full blown Argus assault and putting an end to the legion once and for all.

Why bother keeping a corpse alive for the next 10+ years with a influx of players every now and then when you can create an entirely new juggernaut?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Because cannibalizing their own market would be dumb? WoW has a set ending in the works for some time now? What is supposed to be an expansion after we do a Burning Legion set?

The frequency of updates and new content can't keep up like this much longer (inb4 hurr durr what updates?) it updates a lot more than most MMOs, with an expac every 2 years almost to the letter, it won't be a good thing to keep going with another MMO going at the same time.

I got a couple ideas, but they're all pretty far-fetched I admit. Somewhere in here Allen Adham says that Blizzard is going to make a new MMO, before someone else does it.

For the longest time I thought Titan was going to be a non-competitor to WoW. Some F2P something-or-other, maybe some kind of console game. If anyone could do it they could right? Well it's been years now and WoW is 1 1/2 years off the 10 year mark. Going for another 10 just doesn't seem plausable to me is all. I know right now it seems like it would be dumb, but they are slowly shedding subscribers. Putting their eggs into one basket and releasing a new Warcraft MMO (and lets be realistic, they haven't made a new IP in over 15 years, it's gonna be WoW2) that is a reboot or redux or sequel to WoW is what I can see happening. Like someone else said, EQ2 being released killed EQ, and it didn't do too well itself. TOR came out and killed SWG, not the same developer but it was up to Lucasarts I'd imagine. It probably would've worked out better if TOR didn't flop, but it's not unheard of.

I don't know if the expac after MOP will be the final, but I'd bet money that it's a Burning Legion Focused one. It's being heavily hinted at in the MoP Narrative. The Klaxxi and Wrathion storyline is foreshadowing a need for the Alliance and Horde to work together very soon. Whether or not it's some sort of Burning Crusade "cataclysm" that re-shapes the 60-70 experience and we re-visit outland, or if it's a full blown Argus assault and putting an end to the legion once and for all.

Why bother keeping a corpse alive for the next 10+ years with a influx of players every now and then when you can create an entirely new juggernaut?
Because WoW is probably just a unique fluke that started at the exact right time to become popular. It doesn't seem unlikely at all that they're worried about killing a cash cow in exchange for a moderate level of success with whatever the successor is.

Sethos

Banned
Man, after having played Snooze Wars 2 it's amazing how superior WoW is in every. single. way. Excluding all the content that was added over the last many years just the snappy controls is like a slice of heaven compared to GW2. You have so much incentive to actually level and gear at least changes while you level. Plus I really, really missed the good ole' quests - So much more relaxing than crappy dynamic events and jumping puzzles. Also art the style of WoW is amazing, so unique and breathtaking even after all these years - Not that sterile, generic looking crap with barely any view distance that other MMOs seem to cling to.

So good to be back, appreciate it even more after having seen an alternative.

Rokal

Because it makes money. D3 has a large audience overlap with WoW but that didn't stop them from 'cannibalizing their audience' and releasing it. We don't even know anything about Titan, which for all we know will be a F2P shooter, and you're assuming Blizzard is going to kill off their 10 million sub cash cow for it when MMOs with 1% of that audience have continued to thrive?

Blizzard will continue to release WoW expansions for another decade, at minimum. Just because you can't think of any ideas for new expansion settings doesn't mean they don't exist. Blizzard has already hit most of the predictable settings for WoW expansions, but there is plenty of stuff left to do. They could try to make concepts like an Emerald Dream or Azshar-focused expansion work. They could do another Burning Legion expansion (or multiple burning legion expansions). They could do something completely new like Pandaria.

Even if Titan is great and eats a large portion of WoW's audience, they will still continue to make WoW expansions.

Rokam

Think it may be working now, but 11 minute average wait time... what? Not sure how the hell that's possible when there's no tank/healer requirement lol.

Sethos

Banned
I was doing the Scenario hours ago on EU servers, 5 second queue time.

Man it was awful, they couldn't possibly have spent more than a day slapping that together.

Rokam

I was doing the Scenario hours ago on EU servers, 5 second queue time.

Man it was awful, they couldn't possibly have spent more than a day slapping that together.

Yeah watched a video, looked terrible, but gotta get my stupid vanity item.

There are purples, but not sure where you get them, helmets & weapons/shields.

Edit: Apparently if you solo queue it doesn't group you with people, you do it with npcs.

Huh? You can do a scenario with NPC's? I solo queued but got put in with two other people.

Fjordson

So, am I okay to queue up with the minimum ilvl requirement (353)? I'd love to check it out, but I'd rather not waste time just to get instantly voted out...I mean, there are people in trade chat looking for people with item level 401+ for this thing...

Sethos

Banned
Edit: Apparently if you solo queue it doesn't group you with people, you do it with npcs.

It does, I solo queued and got hooked up with two other tanks.

So, am I okay to queue up with the minimum ilvl requirement (353)? I'd love to check it out, but I'd rather not waste time just to get instantly voted out...I mean, there are people in trade chat looking for people with item level 411+ for this thing...

It takes like 10 minutes to do and it's non-elite / low-hp mobs. There's no real bosses or anything it's just a group quest. A level 81 could do it.

Rokam

It's easily soloable, wish I didn't have to sit in queue (farming out the remaining JP I need for cap) Think we pulled everything to the 2nd "boss", and then did the same to the third.

Cipherr

Holy shit Fall of Theramore is so bad. That was incredibly half assed.

Edit: Its very literally a few easy mob packs followed by some Jaina dialog, then a few more mob packs, and Jaina storming off in a huff. Then you get a box with an ilvl 384 epic inside, and you are done.

Wow..... I hated the zombie event, but I would have taken that over this any day.

Rokam

Holy shit Fall of Theramore is so bad. That was incredibly half assed.

Edit: Its very literally a few easy mob packs followed by a few more mob packs, and then some more packs. Finally some random dude is like lets gtfo. Then you get a box with fireworks and are done.

Wow..... I hated the zombie event, but I would have taken that over this any day.

Horde'd it up for you

JCizzle

Scenarios will be good for what they're meant to be - I think it will be a great way to spend a few minutes and get something for it.

But it's not "expansion event" quality.

Rokal

Scenarios will be good for what they're meant to be - I think it will be a great way to spend a few minutes and get something for it.

But it's not "expansion event" quality.

This is probably why they released it a week before the expansion instead of much earlier.

Yes, it's (apparently) disappointing. Fortunately the full expansion comes out in only a week so it doesn't matter much.

Tbh, if it means they spent more time on the permanent 85-90 content instead, I'm okay with the 'launch event' sucking.

JCizzle

This is probably why they released it a week before the expansion instead of much earlier.

Yes, it's (apparently) disappointing. Fortunately the full expansion comes out in only a week so it doesn't matter much.

Tbh, if it means they spent more time on the permanent 85-90 content instead, I'm okay with the 'launch event' sucking.

Yep. I wish I got some good transmog gear out of it that would look cool, but overall I think you're absolutely right.

Rokam

Once the queue times go down it'll be a nice quick way to get JP. My disappointment is that in interviews they said this ties the book events into the real game so you don't only get it by reading the book. I saw nothing in the way of story besides the destruction.

This is why we can't have nice things. Everyone complains so much about little inconveniences and now Theramore is what we are stuck with :(

The DK rampage from Saturday night was way more fun then Theramore in my opinion.

Ultratech

I expected a purple, got a bundle of fireworks.

Yeah, same here. :(

The whole scenario was kinda meh. The Mini Mana Bomb is kinda neat, but that's it.

Once the queue times go down it'll be a nice quick way to get JP. My disappointment is that in interviews they said this ties the book events into the real game so you don't only get it by reading the book. I saw nothing in the way of story besides the destruction.

For Horde, you're basically just performing a feint to distract the Theramore forces. Then shit happens.

Also, I was following this dude around and we ran smack into Jaina's room. Insta-killed us pretty quick. lol

Robin64

The Fall of Theramore scenario is basically a page or two from the book with no context surrounding it whatsoever. I can't begin to imagine how confused people who haven't read the book are. Thalen who? Goblins? What the eff?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
All i get from this is fireworks, or is there a low chance of getting an epic in the bag?

Edit : Guess i got my answer.

Sophia

I mean..... just wow, that was so incredibly lazy. What I dont understand is why they waited to release it like this allowing the hype to build.

I've been playing World of Warcraft since 0.6. Third phase of the Beta test. In the seven or so years I've been playing I have never played something so awful.

My god.

Oh shit, got a nice gun out of the loot bag that was actually an upgrade from my current weapon. Nice!

Please don't do what someone in trade did and waste the money on a Woodchuck for it.

Horde Side:
The blood elf you rescue was a traitor who was supposed to be sent there to help Jaina by one of the members of the Violet Hold. The whole reason their barrier broke to begin with was because he was weakening it for the Horde. He was caught and captured and in the book they say he escaped but not how... (the barrier was just supposed to be a distraction anyways).

Rokam

Horde Side:
The blood elf you rescue was a traitor who was supposed to be sent there to help Jaina by one of the members of the Violet Hold. The whole reason their barrier broke to begin with was because he was weakening it for the Horde. He was caught and captured and in the book they say he escaped but not how... (the barrier was just supposed to be a distraction anyways).

I know all that, because I read spoilers for the book. There was zero story in the scenario :p.

And that everyone, is the send off Theramore gets for getting permanently wiped off the map. That scenario was an insult to the entire WoW community and salt on an open wound for Alliance players. Even with the "it's not a real pre-launch event, it's just a quick scenario" argument, its still a piece of shit. There was simply no thought or effort put into it. It was lifeless and lazy on a whole new scale and to top it off, it takes less then 10 min to clear it. Seriously, the first part of "Escape from Durnholde Keep" where you take out the guards and set the buildings on fire and kill Lieutenant Drake is far better then the entirety of this so called scenario.

Fucking pathetic no matter which way you look at it and everyone that cried a river over the zombie invasion event can piss off.

I know all that, because I read spoilers for the book. There was zero story in the scenario :p.

What are you talking about? That Blood Elf had at least five lines of dialog. :\

But yeah... I saw a wall of yellow-ish text and I was killing dudes and not reading through it.

On the Horde side, it also doesn't come anywhere near setting up what's to come with Cairne and Garosh and other members of the Horde. I was seriously hoping to see more of an internal conflict in the run. Otherwise, I felt nothing.

Most of the game I'm treated as a special cow who contributes to the best of the Horde. This is an instance where I just felt like a peon and out of the loop. :(

Rokam

What are you talking about? That Blood Elf had at least five lines of dialog. :\

But yeah... I saw a wall of yellow-ish text and I was killing dudes and not reading through it.

On the Horde side, it also doesn't come anywhere near setting up what's to come with Cairne and Garosh and other members of the Horde. I was seriously hoping to see more of an internal conflict in the run. Otherwise, I felt nothing.

Most of the game I'm treated as a special cow who contributes to the best of the Horde. This is an instance where I just felt like a peon and out of the loop. :(

A peon who almost got murdered by his own faction, yet you're supposed to hate the alliance going into MoP. Hmmm....

RPGCrazied

The scenario...

Not bad. Short, but that is not what bugs me. What bugs me is the loot at the end. 4 runs all I got was fireworks. The last run I did, the box vanished and I got nothing. Come on, I don't want to have to do this a million times for an item.

The bomb is cool, but get rid of the cool down, and let it hurt at least mobs.. even if for 1 dmg or something.

The scenario...

Not bad. Short, but that is not what bugs me. What bugs me is the loot at the end. 4 runs all I got was fireworks. The last run I did, the box vanished and I got nothing. Come on, I don't want to have to do this a million times for an item.

The bomb is cool, but get rid of the cool down, and let it hurt at least mobs.. even if for 1 dmg or something.

Why the hell do you care about the ilvl 384 items when Panda greens will replace everything 10 min into the expansion?

Top Bottom