• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

mclem

Alex said:
No, vanilla was terrible. You might miss the new MMO experience, or some of the stuff with the world back then, but you're right in that it's pure nostalgia. Classic raiding sucked ass.

Later classic raids weren't *too* bad, but MC was an awful, awful instance.

zugzug

Trickster said:
Thrall questline was pretty underwhelming from a design standpoint. You bassically just had to do the same thing 4 times over...

About firelands quests. Well I wouldn't know, apparently we have to do mount hyjal dailys for 3 days before we can even get to the firelands zone. Don't know what the fuck is going on in minds of the developers, because I can't imagine any sane person thinking it'd be a good idea to make players wait so long for this stuff. Then when it finally does hit. Have us do dailys for 3 days before accessing the large majority of the new non raid content.

I really hope the raid instance is better than the rest of this patch so far.

Perhaps your line of thinking is not in line with what a MMO is, you perhaps like single player games more? Or you like perhaps a shooter MMO?

The Thrall questline was great from a storytelling perspective, and since everyone and their dog was doing it I'm glad it wasn't some complex item drop thing or "farm 30 of these guys". But yeah, they would have had some more variety than survive X minutes killing simple mobs.

Any suggested order for the first four bosses in Firelands?

We tried the giant boss on 10 man for two hours (the one with the feet) and he seemed ridiculously difficult. We just couldn't find the right balance for who to keep on the feet versus who was dedicated to the adds.

After trash repopped we went to the spider boss, who seemed to be a bit more manageable.

Trickster

zugzug said:
Perhaps your line of thinking is not in line with what a MMO is, you perhaps like single player games more? Or you like perhaps a shooter MMO?

Not sure what you're trying to say.

The Thrall questline is boring, simple as that, unless you like doing the exact same thing 4 times over.

Having players wait 7 months for any new content worth a damn is bad enough on it's own, then making them wait 3 days after the content goes live before being able to access it is a freaking slap in the face.

The best part of the Thrall quest line was after finishing it then going back with some friends and killing every alliance player as soon as they ported in, thus sparking a huge PvP battle.

Mister Zimbu said:
Any suggested order for the first four bosses in Firelands?

We tried the giant boss on 10 man for two hours (the one with the feet) and he seemed ridiculously difficult. We just couldn't find the right balance for who to keep on the feet versus who was dedicated to the adds.

Spider boss seems like a minor DPS check and that's the only thing remotely challenging about it. Shannax had some trick to dropping the stacks on the tanks that it took us four pulls and almost one vent rage quit to figure out. Neither is particularly difficult if you know what you're doing going into the fight.

We had the hardest time with the volcano boss but I still think we'll get it in <10 pulls. I think the only adjustment we need is to start calling for raidwide cooldowns on the last few stomps.

Anyway Shannax and spider both seemed significantly easier than the volcano guy.

PatzCU

Trickster said:
That's the point I imagine, it's fucking dumb to have players do 3 daily for 3 days before we even get acess to the majority of the new non-raid stuff. The Thrall questline is pretty bad as well.

I actually think it's great that you have to put some groundwork in to open the gate to the Firelands for new content. This patch is going to be out for likely 6 months so what is the rush to rip through the new daily hub right away? They are trying to create a sense of progression for people instead of simply creating a quest hub of the same old shit. Besides, by doing the 3 days of dailies, you are still improving your rep for the rewards.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ShadyMilkman said:
The best part of the Thrall quest line was after finishing it then going back with some friends and killing every alliance player as soon as they ported in, thus sparking a huge PvP battle.

Eh, even in PVE servers, you have a lot of flagged people because of how easy it is to target a player rather than a npc.

Trickster

PatzCU said:
I actually think it's great that you have to put some groundwork in to open the gate to the Firelands for new content. This patch is going to be out for likely 6 months so what is the rush to rip through the new daily hub right away? They are trying to create a sense of progression for people instead of simply creating a quest hub of the same old shit. Besides, by doing the 3 days of dailies, you are still improving your rep for the rewards.

And by "groundwork" you mean spend 10 minutes a day doing 3 standard "kill x creatures" and "loot x items" quests, right? I just feel that it's an unnecesery block towards accessing the majority of the non raid content of the patch.

It's not like you're gonna "rip" through the content even when you get to the firelands however. There's a cap of 25 quests a day, and they've made over 60 quests for players, and I'm sure some will be locked until you reach certain rep levels, so it's gonna be a progression based experience either way, no need to try and fluff the length of that experience by having players wait an extra 3 days after finally getting the patch with the sorely needed content.

Alex

Quests in WoW are sort of a one time deal. They're designed kind of like an adventure game. It's fun to absorb the story or humor, see any of the scripting and neat mechanics and explore the area with them.

Daily quests kind of throw that into a wringer, it's just busywork. They're digital errands, and not fun ones that have you dungeon combing, collecting and crafting, exploring or fighting fun bosses. I love some good ol' grinding and even I won't touch these things.

Questing in general really needs a heroic and/or group toggle or something. Getting it away from the super casual fodder targeted at solo people in greens who have two skills and 35 mounts on their action bars (and still have no possibility of failing a quest) would be nice.

Miletius

Alex said:
Quests in WoW are sort of a one time deal. They're designed kind of like an adventure game. It's fun to absorb the story or humor, see any of the scripting and neat mechanics and explore the area with them.

Daily quests kind of throw that into a wringer, it's just busywork. They're digital errands, and not fun ones that have you dungeon combing, collecting and crafting, exploring or fighting fun bosses. I love some good ol' grinding and even I won't touch these things.

Questing in general really needs a heroic and/or group toggle or something. Getting it away from the super casual fodder targeted at solo people in greens who have two skills and 35 mounts on their action bars (and still have no possibility of failing a quest) would be nice.

I don't necessarily mind daily quests, just not in the way they are implemented for the first 'gate' in the Firelands hub.

I think the attempt here was to make it more like a "world event" where the players unlocked an epic storyline via daily quests ala Isle of Quel'danis. The problem is the introductory quests are, for lack of a batter word, stupid. You do quests to collect "marks" that allow the caravan you are on to march onto the Firelands. Supposedly these marks represent supply tokens, which is where you have to suspend your belief.

On the other hand, the Isle had you (mostly) fighting Demons in order to take back Island locations. Even if the quests ended up with more or less the same objective (kill monsters, collect reward) it still ended up making more sense than how they implemented it in the Firelands.

I kind of wish they would do an AQ style server wide collect-a-thon again. Those were a heck of a lot of fun and I feel as though they really build some community. It would be way cool if they had something like "10000 5 mans with only memebers of your own server" or something like that as an objective to unlock a server wide reward. I guess that would punish low-pop servers though, so it'll probably never happen.

Wow I never realized how insanely detailed the beginners guide is. I only remembered the initial instruction booklet (which was nice too), but this is just massive. Did this used to be an old strategy guide?

Trickster

Miletius said:
I kind of wish they would do an AQ style server wide collect-a-thon again. Those were a heck of a lot of fun and I feel as though they really build some community. It would be way cool if they had something like "10000 5 mans with only memebers of your own server" or something like that as an objective to unlock a server wide reward. I guess that would punish low-pop servers though, so it'll probably never happen.

The AQ opening event had potential but was totally ruined by being the most insane gathering quest every invented. It was nothing but a chore to do. It also punished being on a low pop server as you mentioned

Alex

I like the concept of the AQ opening event, but all it ultimately involved for us was the big guilds bribing the lessers into participating and then the server falling to shambles during the actual event.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I remember in AC (Asheron's Call) where they had a huge event that the server had to complete to open up the new content. It involved grouping up to kill a certain boss in a certain place etc etc

For some reason, my server decided that we were NOT going to do it. Instead we formed a huge group of people assigned to make sure the boss did NOT die...we could kill other players, protect and heal the NPC etc.

This went on for weeks and eventually the devs had to design a special even to force us to fail. Overwhelmed us with a massive raid of stuff...was so awesome and unique.

My point was...the CHOICE made it awesome.

WoW needs diverging paths ;)

Bisnic

What's the best addon for watching dots? I don't want something overly complicated, just enough so i dont have to check the mob status every 5 secs.

witness

Downloading the starter edition. Haven't played since Jan. '09 when I sold my account, was desperate for money. Excited to see the new starting zones and quests. Will be playing a Pally first since that was my old main. At least with the way its setup I can't get super invested and deep into the game so that it takes over what little free time I have.

gillty

Banned
witness said:
Downloading the starter edition. Haven't played since Jan. '09 when I sold my account, was desperate for money. Excited to see the new starting zones and quests. Will be playing a Pally first since that was my old main. At least with the way its setup I can't get super invested and deep into the game so that it takes over what little free time I have.
If you roll Horde, go through Azshara 10-20, that zone is bananas.

Alex

Bisnic said:
What's the best addon for watching dots? I don't want something overly complicated, just enough so i dont have to check the mob status every 5 secs.

ForteXorcist was by far my favorite, but it probably falls under the category of overly complicated!

DoTimer used to be fairly simple haven't used it ages though.

Alex said:
ForteXorcist was by far my favorite, but it probably falls under the category of overly complicated!

DoTimer used to be fairly simple haven't used it ages though.

Fortexorcist is awesome because you can customize it so much and it's easy to use once you spend a little time tinkering with the options.

Bisnic

Yeah, i don't want something that takes me 30 mins to customize.. just some flashing icon with a timer that i can put around my character when a dot is about to expire or something.

LowParry

It seems with farming rep, you can only get to 1 point before hitting Honored in FL. Though the drop rate of purples is pretty high. :D

FLEABttn said:
Ally or Horde?

TBC->WotLK transition decimated the horde there for whatever reason. Ally seemed to be much better off.

Horde. Raid progression was pretty split until recently. Horde has pulled away in that regard now, though.

Ravenholdt, US (alliance)

Had fun starting the new quest line; I actually feel excited about the game. Also got my gear score up to 355 pretty quickly today thanks to that new quest cape

Guild started Firelands yesterday and continued tonight. I'll have to pug until we get a second group going

scoobs

I'll be honest ive been doin BGs all day long as a frost DK and the nerfs haven't really hurt me too bad. Still do more damage than everyone and i guess the dark succor nerf sucks but if u kill someone fast u get a free 22k heal. Meh, we'll see how arenas go.

LowParry

scoobs said:
I'll be honest ive been doin BGs all day long as a frost DK and the nerfs haven't really hurt me too bad. Still do more damage than everyone and i guess the dark succor nerf sucks but if u kill someone fast u get a free 22k heal. Meh, we'll see how arenas go.

Isn't Unholy the new OP class for PvP DKs?

ch0mp

CcrooK said:
It seems with farming rep, you can only get to 1 point before hitting Honored in FL. Though the drop rate of purples is pretty high. :D
One trash run we got something like 8 recipes, and 2 BoE's both hunter loot of course.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
CcrooK said:
Not sure what you mean by this. I just hit honored a few minutes ago and was a half bar in when I logged.

Or will rep stop at some point within honored?

lordmrw

ch0mp said:
One trash run we got something like 8 recipes, and 2 BoE's both hunter loot of course.

I think I better stop procrastinating and get my ass in there before they nerf the droprate. skipping the latter half of Hyjal bit me in the ass and I spent a good portion of time yesterday catching up. I have access to the dailies now so I'm good to go for some trash runs.

LowParry

Mr Pockets said:
Not sure what you mean by this. I just hit honored a few minutes ago and was a half bar in when I logged.

Or will rep stop at some point within honored?

From what I've been hearing, it's been varied among players so I'm not sure the details. But we got a couple of guildies who's rep stopped right before honored. So no more rep from trash kills.

strafer

Finally!

GHuKo.jpg

bjb

Banned
DeathNote said:
How do warriors seem in 4.2 PVP? I decided to play one since it's already on my friend's server.

Seen the all warrior 3v3 team?

My god that shit is hilarious, all popping reck and bladestorm and killing everything :lol

They're still legit in 4.2

TheYanger

Abused the 3 o'clock power hour the first night to get into the molten front a day early, having now explored that place thoroughly, done achieves, etc. Yeah the first 'section' of the quest line is balls, but the area itself is pretty dang cool, the achievements are fun, the quests can be neat, there's like floating mario platformer rocks that explode for you to jump accross, etc. It just takes too long to unlock more thna a few dailies (150 marks after the first 20, and after two power hour sessions I only have 43).

Firelands was fun, people whined about the trash enough that it got doubled in respawn, so meh. I liked the trash tbh, farming it for rep/drops is boring as dirt, but the pulls are interesting, extremely varied, and you can skip a huge majority of it.

Rep stops at 1 shy of honored for whoever asks, but giants and other 'special' trash (there's a lot that qualifies as that, but not at the zone in mostly) continues past. Sitting at about 3700 into honored now.

yanhero

Bisnic said:

Best and simplest one I've used is Class Timer. Wont take more than 2 sec to setup where you want the bars to be.

Entropia

No One Remembers
TheYanger said:
Abused the 3 o'clock power hour the first night to get into the molten front a day early, having now explored that place thoroughly, done achieves, etc. Yeah the first 'section' of the quest line is balls, but the area itself is pretty dang cool, the achievements are fun, the quests can be neat, there's like floating mario platformer rocks that explode for you to jump accross, etc. It just takes too long to unlock more thna a few dailies (150 marks after the first 20, and after two power hour sessions I only have 43).

Firelands was fun, people whined about the trash enough that it got doubled in respawn, so meh. I liked the trash tbh, farming it for rep/drops is boring as dirt, but the pulls are interesting, extremely varied, and you can skip a huge majority of it.

Rep stops at 1 shy of honored for whoever asks, but giants and other 'special' trash (there's a lot that qualifies as that, but not at the zone in mostly) continues past. Sitting at about 3700 into honored now.

Saw you guys downed Rag already, of course. Grats!

Those bastards. Sent me a free 7 days on my primary account.

Must...resist...

The funny thing is that they addressed the email to my warrior alt's name (Rhizome). He's 85, but I have no idea why that character was named - maybe the last character I logged out with?

Top Bottom