• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alucrid

Banned
Uh. Has anyone else been taking fall damage and dying instantly without actually falling? Yesterday it happened in the badlands going up stairs, today it happened in Swamp of Sorrows going down stairs, then again walking off of a small bump. It's really annoying now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
vilmer_ said:
A couple of hours before that.
That's weird. No idea why that would happen.

Alucrid said:
Uh. Has anyone else been taking fall damage and dying instantly without actually falling? Yesterday it happened in the badlands going up stairs, today it happened in Swamp of Sorrows going down stairs, then again walking off of a small bump. It's really annoying now.
It happened to me yesterday while flying towards the new Firelands dailies.

Some of these new fights have kind of interesting mechanics. They're definitely trying to mix it up. The starfox minigame in the Alysrazor fight is cute, and the gatekeeper fight mechanic is really a cool idea (albeit boring as hell for DPS).

Settin said:
That is a respectable level of lameness. I'm surprised no one thought of that sooner.

It's basically the same shit people pulled when they would transfer servers to reset lockouts and go for world/server first until Blizzard put some measures in place to prevent this. (I distinctly remember people doing this around 3.2)

This must have been a loophole that they didn't close.

zugzug

vilmer_ said:
Just fired the game up and there's an almost 5 gig update?

I had this happen a week or two ago to me, I simply cancelled it and restarted client after panicking then it just picked up normal and started without any patch.

Mairu

wonderdung said:
Some of these new fights have kind of interesting mechanics. They're definitely trying to mix it up. The starfox minigame in the Alysrazor fight is cute, and the gatekeeper fight mechanic is really a cool idea (albeit boring as hell for DPS).
The Alysrazor fight is definitely my favorite of the tier, though I'm sure as a tank being able to crit for 500+k is a small part of that enjoyment. We killed Ragnaros earlier today, it'll be interesting to see some of the fights on heroic. Seems like a really short tier though considering how long it took for it to come out D:

Mairu said:
The Alysrazor fight is definitely my favorite of the tier, though I'm sure as a tank being able to crit for 500+k is a small part of that enjoyment. We killed Ragnaros earlier today, it'll be interesting to see some of the fights on heroic. Seems like a really short tier though considering how long it took for it to come out D:

I'm surprised that what seems to be a decent amount of people are clearing the whole thing on normal in the first week, but I suppose that happens when any halfway decent guild would have had at least half the heroic bosses from 4.0 on farm by now and has somewhat overgeared raiders. Are you going to try for heroic stuff starting next week? Or farm normal for another week or two at least? It's not really farm unless you kill it at least twice, if not three times without it being a close call.

Any down-to-the-wire encounters with just a few people left standing? I know I had that with Valiona and Theralion at least twice and it definitely happened with the Twilight Council/Elementium Monstrosity.

I'll have to watch videos of the encounters at least - I've been purposefully avoiding them, but I can't help but love to see what mechanics have been cooked up.

Mairu

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I'm surprised that what seems to be a decent amount of people are clearing the whole thing on normal in the first week, but I suppose that happens when any halfway decent guild would have had at least half the heroic bosses from 4.0 on farm by now and has somewhat overgeared raiders. Are you going to try for heroic stuff starting next week? Or farm normal for another week or two at least? It's not really farm unless you kill it at least twice, if not three times without it being a close call.

Any down-to-the-wire encounters with just a few people left standing? I know I had that with Valiona and Theralion at least twice and it definitely happened with the Twilight Council/Elementium Monstrosity.

I'll have to watch videos of the encounters at least - I've been purposefully avoiding them, but I can't help but love to see what mechanics have been cooked up.
I wasn't in the raid for the majordomo fight (1tank fight qq) but our Ragnaros kill was pretty close. It was our second time reaching the last phase and I the majority of the raid was handling the last mechanic very wrong, I think we had 4 people up when it died
I didn't even realize he died at 10% either, I thought it was a wipe :p
. The rest of the encounters were fairly quick to learn.

We're starting heroic next week, but I don't know which bosses we're going to try first. On the plus side, we went and plowed through normal bwd/bot/throne after the actual raid and got the rest of the achievements for the drake. Ugly drake :|

TheYanger

Same thing we did.

There's no reason to NOT try heroics next week, even if you're a 'bad' guild relatively, this stuff on normal is just SO easy that there's no fear of not being able to re-clear it, which is typically the reason someone would stop bashing face against a new boss.

Alex

Did they ever fix up battleground queue times on the Horde any? I feel like maybe when I come back I'll do a Horde alt.

Oof, BG pvp feels like such a cluster fuck nowadays though. All of the crazy ass CC and no one has a free GCD anymore. I so wish they'd trim the skills and classes some.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
Did they ever fix up battleground queue times on the Horde any? I feel like maybe when I come back I'll do a Horde alt.

Oof, BG pvp feels like such a cluster fuck nowadays though. All of the crazy ass CC and no one has a free GCD anymore. I so wish they'd trim the skills and classes some.
I've been getting 3-6 min queues for random balltegrounds.

Nugh... so after getting to the Molten Front, I will now have to gather marks for about a month before I can actually do something else here? How about no?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SiegfriedFM said:
Nugh... so after getting to the Molten Front, I will now have to gather marks for about a month before I can actually do something else here? How about no?

Sound like Argent Tournament to me.

PatzCU

mre said:
I just started on Drak'Thul. Low pop PVE server.

I highly recommend not playing on a low pop server. If you are going to play Alli, play Tichondrius. If you are going to play Horde, play on Illidan.

scoobs

PatzCU said:
I highly recommend not playing on a low pop server. If you are going to play Alli, play Tichondrius OR Kel'Thuzad. If you are going to play Horde, play on Illidan.
fixed for truthiness

bjb

Banned
Kel'thuzad is a nice server for sure.

Tichondrius lags like hell unless you live on the west coast. It's is / was much more pvp-oriented. At least during Wrath.

Illidan on the other hand is a giant cluster fuck. Having spent almost the entire previous expansion there - I wouldn't recommend it at all. There's almost too many people, and the horde to alliance ratio is laughable.

I would definitely recommend Kel or Sargeras for Alliance.

-NeoTB1-

I heard about some people getting 7 day passes to come back and try the new patch. I've checked my e-mail, but nothing from Blizz. Any truth to this? If so, are they only sending these invites out to certain account holders? I haven't played in a few months.

Alex said:
Why are AV/Isle in this game. Really. Does anyone like this shit with modern mechanics and design?
So alliance can farm lots of honor with little PvP gear on AV weekend.

Bring back 8 hour AVs with 8 hour queues.

Alex

I just wish theyd take it out of the random bracket. Or at least redesign it to be like the old one, but quicker.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
PatzCU said:
I highly recommend not playing on a low pop server. If you are going to play Alli, play Tichondrius. If you are going to play Horde, play on Illidan.

It's actually listed now as medium pop., and I don't care about raiding so I'm not sure what the other benefits of a high pop server would be.

strafer

It is no longer possible for two separate guild groups with less than five players each to be matched with any other groups or players in the queue from the same guild.

Why was that even a problem? Seems perfectly fine to me.

Anyone know how many Justice points you get for doing a Heroic Dungeon? I mean from the dungeon itself, so not including the 7 times a week bonus.

I'm in a casual 10 man guild, (3 hours a night, maybe 3 nights a week or so), and we totally got Shannox last night, which I'm pretty psyched about. Later, I heard we're only the fourth horde guild on the server to down any bosses. God damn, what a backwater we're on.

Couple of things learned from last night, disarm trap must have some sort of unexplained internal cooldown, because you definitely can't spam it. Also, Rhyolith is probably the most outburst causing mob I've ever dealt with. I found myself yelling TURN YOU FAT FUCK on almost every pull. We seemed to be getting active volcanoes close to the edges of the arena, making it a bitch to get him to step on it and then immediately turn, and the fact that rogue dps requires kind of a high ramp up time was making me sweat. Still, we only got gobbled and spit on once so I suppose the problem is adds. I assume we'll get him tomorrow.

Fun encounters tho, and pretty excited to have some new content.

Thoraxes

Nobiru said:
Anyone know how many Justice points you get for doing a Heroic Dungeon? I mean from the dungeon itself, so not including the 7 times a week bonus.
Isn't it just 70 per boss? I don't remember there being a weekly limit of JP.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i got an email from Blizzard today saying that my account was banned for some violations of ToS yet i haven't used WoW in months. After updating to 4.2 and trying to login to WoW i confirmed that the email was not a scam and that my account was hacked. The bulk of my morning was remote scanning my machine while changing every password for every site/game that i use. Good fun lol Most of my passwords are different but there must have been some kind of overlap or my machine has been infected with something that can't be picked up on a remote scan. i could still log-in to Battlenet so i changed the password and opened a ticket. The payment history is blank so im wondering how they even got into the account without paying. Possibly Scroll of Resurrection?

Anyway, anyone have experience with this? If so, what was the outcome? i dont even know if i am going to ever play again but the thought of losing my characters makes me :(((((((((

Alucrid

Banned
Well I feel bad. I asked for someone to open a few lockboxes up, then tipped then what I thought was a decent amount (10g). I open them up and three of them give me 33g each. :| I feel cheap....neogaf > wow > neogaf.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Alucrid said:
Well I feel bad. I asked for someone to open a few lockboxes up, then tipped then what I thought was a decent amount (10g). I open them up and three of them give me 33g each. :| I feel cheap....neogaf > wow > neogaf.

i wouldnt tip any more than that anyway. probably about 5g each lockbox myself.

Alucrid said:

They're literally just pressing a button for a skill that doesn't even take effort to level up anymore. I think I tipped someone 10-20g back in Wrath for picking a lock and got an epic or a stormjewel out of it (pre 4.2). That's just how things go sometimes.

Also, TIL that in beta there used to be a mage ability called Khadgar's Unlocking that unlocked stuff for a reagent cost.

Jrmint

On the previous page I saw someone talking about achievements in the Molten Front, I tried looking in my achievement book and didn't see any.

Am I missing something? I'd like to do more exploring there.

strafer

Jrmint said:
On the previous page I saw someone talking about achievements in the Molten Front, I tried looking in my achievement book and didn't see any.

Am I missing something? I'd like to do more exploring there.

They are under Quests - Cataclysm.

Alex

Anyway, anyone have experience with this? If so, what was the outcome? i dont even know if i am going to ever play again but the thought of losing my characters makes me :(((((((((

They'll always restore the account. You don't need to worry about anything, not even your other internet accounts really.

Still, even if you're not playing right now, you may wanna put an auth on there if you have a smart phone, or if not set it to that home phone auth maybe during unsub time.

mackaveli

I'm thinking of getting the game.

Do i need a CD key for each WOW + expansion pack?

Or can I just buy WOTLK at like Best Buy and hop straight in?

Also I read that veteran's of the game may get a code to email to friends to give them WOW + BC for free for 30 days?

Does that mean after 30 days all I have to do is pay the monthly subscription fee and I have the two full games?

Is anyone willing to give me a code?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
mackaveli said:
I'm thinking of getting the game.

Do i need a CD key for each WOW + expansion pack?

yes. there is a digital wow "starter" kit now for 19.99. it is Vanilla and BC.

Or can I just buy WOTLK at like Best Buy and hop straight in?

can't, sadly. you have to have keys for all the previous games. I'd say if you want to get into the game, get the starter kit first and see how you like it. then if you like it buy WOTLK and cataclysm.

Also I read that veteran's of the game may get a code to email to friends to give them WOW + BC for free for 30 days?

Does that mean after 30 days all I have to do is pay the monthly subscription fee and I have the two full games?

no, i think you just need to pay the subscription fee after 30 days and the first two games are yours.

Is anyone willing to give me a code?

i dont have one.

mackaveli

Jrmint said:
It'd be best to wait until this holiday if you can. I'm sure theyll have a new battle chest with wotlk included.

Yeah I don't know if I can wait.

I'm just playing the trial version with the level cap of 20.

Hopefully I can find someone to give me the game + 30 days for free from that Veteran Recruit a Friend thing.

That'd really help.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
mackaveli said:
Yeah I don't know if I can wait.

I'm just playing the trial version with the level cap of 20.

Hopefully I can find someone to give me the game + 30 days for free from that Veteran Recruit a Friend thing.

That'd really help.
I've been playing since 2005 and didn't get one. Maybe because I canceled my account for a month. It says you needed to have opted in for promos. I don't remembering opting in but in the settings it's checked.

Anyways, personally, If I didn't have a real life friend I would give it to myself as a second account for various reasons.

The 20$ battlechest has 30 days free.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Strafer said:
Poor guy, the GM didn't even listen.
poor guy? he was lying.

"we would just take all the gold and mail it to everyone we know and their brothers and it never got fully reclaimed by the audit"

Top Bottom