• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Ebris

Hmmmm.

Potentially interested in finally trying WoW again.

I played waaaaay back in the day during Vanilla. I left sometime before they released the desert bug things that were supposedly OP back then. I have some questions, if anyone will answer them:

How are Warlocks nowadays? That was my class back then and that's what I'd want to play now. Are they dumbed down now? Are they weak in PvP? Any info would be awesome.

How are Death Knights? I've never played them but they are something I'd want to play too.

Thanks for your time! Now, to see if I can find my damn old account for the Scroll of Resurrection...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
dungeon boss?
you get a shitloadish amount while running hc for drops... but you can't spend them until
1) you're revered with golden lotus
AND
2) you've earned a decent reputation with ANOTHER faction that has what you want
considering step one alone takes what? 5 days worth of dailys, lest you run 1-2 hc per day (i run 8-9hc/day) by the time you've got enough rep into the second rep where you want something... well chances are you'll be already decked in full 463 or really close to that :)

I think part of the issue is it was designed with the gear improvement system in mind, but that isn't coming until 5.1 so it feels bad.

I'm up about 75K right now. I leveled my main first and gathering alt second in the first 3 days and didn't touch the AH until day 4 so I missed out on the early AH frenzy but I've set myself up well for the long term. I'm currently selling darkmoon cards and the 450 Holy Paladin PVP crafted gear. Once I have my epic blacksmithing chest/gloves I'll start using my transmutes and the harmony I'm getting from farming to make one of those items a couple times a week.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hmmmm.

I played waaaaay back in the day during Vanilla. I left sometime before they released the desert bug things that were supposedly OP back then. I have some questions, if anyone will answer them:

How are Warlocks nowadays? That was my class back then and that's what I'd want to play now. Are they dumbed down now? Are they weak in PvP? Any info would be awesome.

How are Death Knights? I've never played them but they are something I'd want to play too.

Thanks for your time! Now, to see if I can find my damn old account for the Scroll of Resurrection...

My brother plays a lock and is very impressed with the changes they made since Cata. The class is one of the top DPS classes right now. Dumbed down? Not really, but I guess it depends on what spec you play. I don't know anything about their PvP situation as I don't do any WoW PvP.

I don't play a DK either, but they're highly survivable and still considered a very strong class for tanking or DPS. Someone who has played one pre and post MoP could probably give you the insight you want.

Woorloog

Banned
Hmmmm.

If you play on EU servers, i could send you a Scroll of Rez. Wouldn't mind getting that mount...

Warlocks are... different. They've changed them quite a bit. Nowadays you choose a specialization and that determines your secondary resource and what skills you gain (in addition to general skills).
The talent system has been overhauled as well, you choose one talent of three per tier, you gain talents every 15 levels (15, 30, 45, so on).
I wouldn't call them dumbed down, they're just different. But they still feel like Warlocks and get all sorts of cool stuff. Metamorphosis at level 10 is fun.

The DK is cool. At least it was, it's been nearly three years since i played. Mobile, powerful, flexible. If you start playing, just make one and try it, they start at level 55. The starting quest line is quite interesting.

Do note the game is quite different from what it was. I assume you mean you left around the Gates of Ahn'Qiraj event/raid? That's... long ago.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having a blast with Mists of Pandaria, even before the raids have opened up. I did the Sha of Anger world boss yesterday. Very nice encounter though a bit easy. At least initially, for the graphics configuration I had during the boss fight created a lot of lag for me. As I may have mentioned before, my graphics card isn't great (especially regarding MMOS), but I've tweaked Config.WTF a bit and am now playing in 640x480 resolution. This itself is no problem for me as I value a good framerate (which is now between 60-80, before it was around 20) higher than the best graphics, for World of Warcraft anyway. The downside to playing in this resolution is that the text (chat, quests, floating text etc.) is difficult to read as it appears quite blurry. I believe this can be changed by using a different typeface than the default. I've searched to see how you change this and a few tutorials point to these following easy steps:

1. Create in your World of Warcraft folder (at local disk) a new folder called Fonts.
2. Copy from your \Windows\Fonts folder whatever typeface you want to use in-game.
3. Copy this typeface four times to the newly created folder Fonts.
4. Name the copied files ARIALN, FRIZQT__, MORPHEUS and skurri

I've done this (I used Courier), but it changes nothing in-game. The tutorials I've looked at are from this year. Maybe it was disabled in a previous patch, or I'm simply doing something wrong. Does anyone have a solution?

Knch

Read this thread, looked up the changes, bought expansion and re-subbed Friday evening, up to about tree quarters to 88 (and an undead monk up to 8)

Is it me, or do I only have like 6-7 spells left (to spam)? (As an affliction lock, for a single target (Curse of element, Agony, Corruption, Unstable affliction, Haunt, optionally followed by Malefic grasp/Felflame spam))

If anyone on Deathwing (EU) wants to do some questing/dungeons/..., add Knch#2651

Willectro

Banned
Hmmmm.

Warlocks are pretty awesome right now, at least IMO. I'm playing Affliction and it seems to work pretty well for everything. The rotation is pretty easy. I see a lot of people running around as Demo too, so I'll probably try that out also.

Ebris

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Unfortunately, I think I may be screwed. I have no idea how to access my really old WoW account (over 2 email addresses back) and my recent B.NET account seems to be compromised.

Sarcasm

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Unfortunately, I think I may be screwed. I have no idea how to access my really old WoW account (over 2 email addresses back) and my recent B.NET account seems to be compromised.

Which one do you care about first of all? Old one or bnet? Or did you merge your old one into the bnet one?

Robin64

Weird, the Honored JP gear is just ilvl 450. I don't know why they didn't go all the way and just remove JP entirely.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Weird, the Honored JP gear is just ilvl 450. I don't know why they didn't go all the way and just remove JP entirely.

Yup.

Even Revered/Exalted stuff is going to be outgeared when the raids open up tomorrow. I guess the vanity stuff (pets/mounts/etc) are worth the rep grinds...

Ebris

I don't think I ever merged my real old WoW account with my semi-old B.NET account. I have info I could potentially access for my B.NET account, but I don't know how I'd get about doing the real old one.

I think I can remember the email I used and the name of my character, as well as the billing address. That's about it I think, lol.

Sarcasm

I don't think I ever merged my real old WoW account with my semi-old B.NET account. I have info I could potentially access for my B.NET account, but I don't know how I'd get about doing the real old one.

I think I can remember the email I used and the name of my character, as well as the billing address. That's about it I think, lol.

Cause if you have any toons that you want its worth trying to get.

The easiest one to solve is the bnet. Contact blizz/reset password and add an authenticator.

Robin64

Even Revered/Exalted stuff is going to be outgeared when the raids open up tomorrow. I guess the vanity stuff (pets/mounts/etc) are worth the rep grinds...

I'm not a raider, and many aren't, so I guess this system is for us.

And I swear, if someone uses the "Then why do you even want gear?" argument, I will flip. :p

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm not a raider, and many aren't, so I guess this system is for us.

And I swear, if someone uses the "Then why do you even want gear?" argument, I will flip. :p

Then why do you even want gear? ;)

(I can see where you are coming from though with that side of things though)

Ebris

Cause if you have any toons that you want its worth trying to get.

The easiest one to solve is the bnet. Contact blizz/reset password and add an authenticator.
Potentially, but I just want to try and get a Scroll of Resurrection. I don't feel like shelling out a ton of money for the base battlepack + all the expansions just to get current, if I can!

Ultratech

Finally hit 90! Woo!

Feels so nice to be able to fly around again.

Was kinda pissed that I didn't have a high enough ilvl to do Heroics initially. (You need ilvl 440, and I had 438 from quests, dungeon runs, etc.) But I solved that issue once I won a trinket from Coren. Yay Brewfest.

Also started on getting my Cloud Serpent stuff done...which would've gone faster if goons weren't abusing CRZ to worm their way into our server to snatch eggs. (Apparently somebody invited them to a group...)

Speaking of, I found where you turn in Raid Tokens for Horde. Such an odd spot, and they sell all sorts of JP/VP/Raid Gear. But of course, I think most of the JP/VP stuff still requires you have rep with the different factions, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Wish I saw this advice before heading to Townlong and Dread Wastes, two of the most boring fucking zones in WoW history.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Those two zones just dragged on and on...

The Klaxxi stuff was kinda interesting at least. Hell, I did pretty much all the quests in those zones too. (Almost done with Dread Wastes...just have the Anglers quests left.)

Sarcasm

Potentially, but I just want to try and get a Scroll of Resurrection. I don't feel like shelling out a ton of money for the base battlepack + all the expansions just to get current, if I can!

I'd try to save your bnet account atleast. Because you won't be able to get a scroll with a new one.

Only level 87, about halfway to 88. I have to say that this is by far the best quest experience in WoW yet. Not only are the quests themselves fun and interesting, but they flow very well from one area to the next both story wise and geographically. This is the first time I want to finish out all the quests for the sake of seeing the story.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I need to fix my shit asap. I'm so tired ,_, MoP is more addicting than any other expansion-pack to this date.

I can't find a single egg anywhere
I checked at 2am nothing

ffs -.-

You need to spend at least an entire day looking for the Onyx Egg, you can't just login and expect the eggs to spawn rightt away. Competition is fierce and i'm the only Alliance farming the eggs against a shitton of horde who would gank me and steal the egg.

An hour or 2 can give you 2-5 eggs in a single sitting

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't you have work / school?
Starting again tomorrow, but taking (yet another) break on Friday. There will be lots, and lots of time to spend on RE6 (tomorrow) and this.

TheYanger

Hmmmm.

DKs are really fast paced, but you'd probably find that EVERY class is fast paced compared to vanilla. Since you've never played one at all, the basic gist of what makes them different is that their resource system is completely unique. These days healers operate on standard mana, most of the other dps work on various forms of energy or combo point-ish systems with some class specific pizazz thrown in (the dps casters use mana but functionally due to abilities it's like a more slow paced energy playstyle. They can't ever run out if they're playing correctly).

DKs use runes though, which are sort of like having 6 different energy bars at once. Abilities rarely have cooldowns because the regeneration of runes are your limiting factor.
DK tanks rely on self-healing to remain alive, with proper timing of cooldowns and heals being the main skillset involved.
Frost DKs rely on lots of procs that are very frequent and a somewhat random and hectic rotation, good if you like a fast pace and split second decision making being what separates good from great.
Unholy rewards thinking and planning, and revolves around having a permanent pet like a hunter or warlock. The buttons you hit are a bit less random than frost, but you gain or lose dps by deciding how to spend your resources 10-15 seconds prior to when you need them.

Uh, that ended up long winded and probably info overload. You can tell that I really like DKs :p I'm not entirely sure they'd be the best choice for coming back to the game after so long, however. It's changed a LOT, and 1-60 being revamped is actually quite good as a levelling experience, whereas if you start a DK the first thing you'll see after the excellent newbie zone is...outlands. The oldest content in existence.

WTF is SSAO?

Anybody need a scroll that's on a US server? I'm trying to get my girl the mount. SHe still has the orange dragon from wrath.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Am I alone in feeling that blacksmithing really got screwed over this expansion? I know there was truegold in cata (was a pain then, and is a pain now), but living steel is ridiculous. Is any other profession so dependant on a separate crafting prof as BS? I really wish blizz would let us make our own high end ore, or have a small chance to mine it.

Am I alone in feeling that blacksmithing really got screwed over this expansion? I know there was truegold in cata (was a pain then, and is a pain now), but living steel is ridiculous. Is any other profession so dependant on a separate crafting prof as BS? I really wish blizz would let us make our own high end ore, or have a small chance to mine it.

Yeah I finally got my Belt Buckle recipe, was about to put a few up on the AH to sell, and then saw how much Living Steel was going for. I was not ready to sink in 2.5K at the CHANCE to sell a buckle for 4K.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I took a screenshot from Vale of Eternal Blossoms. It's in fullscreen 640x480 resolution:

wow6rs00.png

Looks like garbage, but runs smooth as a dream. At least I have the Red Flying Cloud mount.

Yoshichan

Hahahahahahaah

Ebris

DKs are really fast paced, but you'd probably find that EVERY class is fast paced compared to vanilla. Since you've never played one at all, the basic gist of what makes them different is that their resource system is completely unique. These days healers operate on standard mana, most of the other dps work on various forms of energy or combo point-ish systems with some class specific pizazz thrown in (the dps casters use mana but functionally due to abilities it's like a more slow paced energy playstyle. They can't ever run out if they're playing correctly).

DKs use runes though, which are sort of like having 6 different energy bars at once. Abilities rarely have cooldowns because the regeneration of runes are your limiting factor.
DK tanks rely on self-healing to remain alive, with proper timing of cooldowns and heals being the main skillset involved.
Frost DKs rely on lots of procs that are very frequent and a somewhat random and hectic rotation, good if you like a fast pace and split second decision making being what separates good from great.
Unholy rewards thinking and planning, and revolves around having a permanent pet like a hunter or warlock. The buttons you hit are a bit less random than frost, but you gain or lose dps by deciding how to spend your resources 10-15 seconds prior to when you need them.

Uh, that ended up long winded and probably info overload. You can tell that I really like DKs :p I'm not entirely sure they'd be the best choice for coming back to the game after so long, however. It's changed a LOT, and 1-60 being revamped is actually quite good as a levelling experience, whereas if you start a DK the first thing you'll see after the excellent newbie zone is...outlands. The oldest content in existence.
Nah, that was great. Thanks for the info! I'll definitely level Warlock first before I try out a DK.

strafer

Rösti;42730144 said:
I took a screenshot from Vale of Eternal Blossoms. It's in fullscreen 640x480 resolution:

Looks like garbage, but runs smooth as a dream. At least I have the Red Flying Cloud mount.

I played vanilla like that.

My comp sucked back then.

Top Bottom