• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Entropia

No One Remembers
......they better crank out more content quick.

[edit]

I know, I know, there's so much already. And there is. I agree. There's a ton. On a lot of fronts, Blizzard did a great job...but...

A LOT of it is very easy and will only get easier as people overgear it.

Mogu'shan Vaults stats from Wowprogress.com (how many guilds IN THE WORLD have cleared said content):

6/6 = 1
5/6 = 2
4/6 = 116
3/6 = ~84

I know it's only day 1, but I'm going to guess that the content will last a while given heroics haven't even been touched (and won't be until normals are cleared enough to gear up accordingly).

Plus the other two raids are "Gated" in a way that they aren't released yet. I'm sure my guild will still be plugging away at the current content for a good amount of time.

Now that justice point gear doesn't require faction rep anymore. Did they make a justice point vendor anywhere ?

Yes. Niuzao Temple, in Townlong.

Bizazedo

Plus the other two raids are "Gated" in a way that they aren't released yet.

Right, and it has just been two days. A lot of stuff to do still for a lot of people. Plus the gated content. I know. I'm not saying it'll all be done for most people in one month, it won't be.

What I am saying is that people will burn through this faster than prior expansions.

I'm pretty sure at this point that Ask Mr. Robot is completely wrong on stat priority for Druid tanks. It would have me reforging everything to Dodge, which has a horrible conversion rate, and sitting at around 1.5% hit and 2% expertise. I find it much better to be at hit and expertise cap and prioritize Stamina and Mastery. The rate of return from passive mitigation just isn't there, compared to the active cooldown management using Rage.. and the most efficient way to improve Rage generation now is to make sure that all of your melee strikes land.
You are correct. You want to strive for Hit and Expertise cap now. Look at T14's itemization, for reference. It has quite a bit of both of those stats.

AGI and STAM are still our best friends. Mastery helps increase our armor for mitigation, but certainly don't discount dodge. It's not as amazing as it used to be, since the contribution has been decreased, but still it is very valuable.

You really are going to have to gauge how you reforge and gem based on the encounters you'll be facing. I've not worried one iota about doing so for heroics, since I am just trying to amass gear and find no point in changing up an item until I get the replacement gear I need. I went into Vaults last night, though, and have gone very stam-heavy in an attempt to make up for my gear's other shortcomings.

We couldn't down Stone Guardian last night. It took some time to fully understand and execute the mechanics, but the gear deficiency just wasn't helping our cause. This is the first time I've ran a raid straight outta the gates since Wrath and I've forgotten how exciting it is!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Right, and it has just been two days. A lot of stuff to do still for a lot of people. Plus the gated content. I know. I'm not saying it'll all be done for most people in one month, it won't be.

What I am saying is that people will burn through this faster than prior expansions.

Yeah, power creep. It's cool shit, haha.

Robin64

What exactly are we looking for to drop in the Vale? I've done many days worth of dailies there now and not seen anything special.. hope I haven't sold something I needed to keep.

Entropia

No One Remembers
What exactly are we looking for to drop in the Vale? I've done many days worth of dailies there now and not seen anything special.. hope I haven't sold something I needed to keep.

Skyshards.

You will need 10 of these to combine to make an item that you can then use on Alani, the flying dragon in Vale. I have only seen 1 so far, so they're pretty rare. I imagine most people only have 1-2.

So I had a 441 two-handed Stamina axe drop with a level 84 requirement. My 83 Death Knight is ready!

Yeah seeing these high ilvl, low level requirement weapons are hilarious. I have the Spear of Xuen ready for when my monk ever hits 85.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I am kind of curious, has Blizz ever stated why they decided to gimp the quality of JP and VP gear? It seems really odd when they had a system that worked pretty well before that they would suddenly change it to a system that makes no sense at all. Also, am I to understand that resilience/pvp power don't count against item budget? So even once/if they revert honor gear, isn't it still technically better since its equal to JP gear on the pve front, and far superior on the pvp front?

Entropia

No One Remembers
I am kind of curious, has Blizz ever stated why they decided to gimp the quality of JP and VP gear? It seems really odd when they had a system that worked pretty well before that they would suddenly change it to a system that makes no sense at all. Also, am I to understand that resilience/pvp power don't count against item budget? So even once/if they revert honor gear, isn't it still technically better since its equal to JP gear on the pve front, and far superior on the pvp front?

I think they wanted people to put some time investment in to their gear, even if they weren't raiders. The problem is they did it completely ass-backwards and required too much of a time investment to get the gear. By the time you had the rep to purchase some of the gear, you'd have outgeared simply by 5 man heroic gear. If you were a raider, than you wouldn't even look at what JP gear is available.

Mogu'shan Vaults stats from Wowprogress.com (how many guilds IN THE WORLD have cleared said content):

6/6 = 1
5/6 = 2
4/6 = 116
3/6 = ~84

I know it's only day 1, but I'm going to guess that the content will last a while given heroics haven't even been touched (and won't be until normals are cleared enough to gear up accordingly).

Check back on Monday for more accurate stats. Different guilds have different raid days/times. A bunch who are capable of clearing may have not had their scheduled raid(s) yet.

falastini

Ugh... so the same loot piñata endgame? I haven't picked the game up yet, but stuff like that dissuades me. There is no challenge or achievement anymore. I thought LFR was supposed to be the "let everybody experience content mode". Why are people already beating normal raids then?

I've spent less time with each consecutive expansion. I ended up quitting Cata a few months in, after clearing nomal raids, and haven't been back since. Its a shame bc it looks like they put in the effort to add more non-raid content, but unfortunately raids are still a mess, and that's probably the prime reason I play WoW.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ugh... so the same loot piñata endgame? I haven't picked the game up yet, but stuff like that dissuades me. There is no challenge or achievement anymore. I thought LFR was supposed to be the "let everybody experience content mode". Why are people already beating normal raids then?

I've spent less time with each consecutive expansion. I ended up quitting Cata a few months in, after clearing nomal raids, and haven't been back since. Its a shame bc it looks like they put in the effort to add more non-raid content, but unfortunately raids are still a mess, and that's probably the prime reason I play WoW.

Because Normal mode is designed for normal people, not the poopsockers that already cleared it. If you want harder content, it exists and saying "I cleared normal mode" isn't really convincing.

Bizazedo

Well, the loot endgame will never go away. It's what drives a lot of the current playerbase. That and you always need a carrot.

They have started to try stuff that's different / great, though. Like a few pages ago, the Klaxxi quest was mentioned that does not start from an NPC. You need two people to trigger the spawning of an elite in the zone and he drops a quest turn-in.

Now, once you look at how his area is set up, it's obvious and not exactly a tough brain teaser to figure out, but if you just go from Question Mark to Exclamation Point, you'd miss it.

That plus all the added rares in the world, the rare groundspawns (found a chest that open-able in a tavern, had 100 gold. On Mt Neverest I think I found a dead adventurers pack, had gold in it. I want to say 200). Stuff like that is fantastic! They need to continue / increase it.

Because Normal mode is designed for normal people, not the poopsockers that already cleared it. If you want harder content, it exists and saying "I cleared normal mode" isn't really convincing.
Are the heroic versions of the raids hard, though? Heroic 5-mans are .... not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, the loot endgame will never go away. It's what drives a lot of the current playerbase. That and you always need a carrot.

They have started to try stuff that's different / great, though. Like a few pages ago, the Klaxxi quest was mentioned that does not start from an NPC. You need two people to trigger the spawning of an elite in the zone and he drops a quest turn-in.

Now, once you look at how his area is set up, it's obvious and not exactly a tough brain teaser to figure out, but if you just go from Question Mark to Exclamation Point, you'd miss it.

That plus all the added rares in the world, the rare groundspawns (found a chest that open-able in a tavern, had 100 gold. On Mt Neverest I think I found a dead adventurers pack, had gold in it. I want to say 200). Stuff like that is fantastic! They need to continue / increase it.

Yes. They use buffs/debuffs over time to make them easier so more people can clear them, but you aren't required to use the buff either.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Check back on Monday for more accurate stats. Different guilds have different raid days/times. A bunch who are capable of clearing may have not had their scheduled raid(s) yet.

Yeah, I'm not using it as an argument as much as evidence to date. I'd be surprised if most guilds didn't raid yesterday though...It IS new content day, so I imagine a lot of raid schedules got moved around.

I think after week one will be the tell. Also, heroic clears.

XenodudeX

They're basically stuck in the wrong game pvp-wise. Too active, damage isn't that good, and their ranged root/gap closers need to be manually aimed. Fun in dungeons, but it just doesn't work well in pvp.

What pisses me off is that the PvP and PvE complaints were communicated well during beta, but blizzard didn't want another DK situation ( right now DK are fucking overpowered, right up there with warriors and mages), so they pretty much ignored a lot of complaints. How does that make any sense? This is looking a lot like Ret paladins at the beginning of cata. During beta they brought up issues with the class in PvP and PvE, and blizzard pretty much ignored it. If they don't make any real meaningful changes soon, then I'll simply stop playing, as the Monk was the main thing that excited me about the expansion.

Berordn

Heroic has become a warped term since it first came into use. While heroic dungeons in BC were balls-to-the-wall hard, Wrath made them far more accessible (and the LFD system even more so) even though they introduced the difficult Heroic mode to raids too. It's safer to just assume that if you can queue for it, it's easy. If you need to meet at the entrance, it's going to take more coordination.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Heroic has become a warped term since it first came into use. While heroic dungeons in BC were balls-to-the-wall hard, Wrath made them far more accessible (and the LFD system even more so) even though they introduced the difficult Heroic mode to raids too. It's safer to just assume that if you can queue for it, it's easy. If you need to meet at the entrance, it's going to take more coordination.

I laughed because it's relatively true and it's a super simple way of putting it. A+

Bizazedo

Heroics were always intended to be hard. Heroic WotLK wasn't easy. Heroic in Cata wasn't easy. The Ettin with the weapon switch murdered many a PUG in Grim Batol.

You're mistaking people gearing up and bluntly overgearing them as them being made a lot more accessible. In "intended" gear, they were a real challenge.

What you're really trying to say is Heroics have been nerfed, hard, and they hope the Challenge modes are a suitable replacement.

I....eh, I'll be honest, I don't even know if that's a bad thing, really.

But, yes, as said above, your last sentence is hilariously accurate now :).

ampere

You should probably try the normal raids before calling them easy...

Exodus is going to clear normals in one week no matter how hard Blizzard made them. They'll put in any number of attempts that it takes. They are not a good metric at how hard the content is for the average guild.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Angry Grimace

You should probably try the normal raids before calling them easy...

Exodus is going to clear normals in one week no matter how hard Blizzard made them. They'll put in any number of attempts that it takes. They are not a good metric at how hard the content is for the average guild.

The reports I'm hearing is that MV is pretty hard, particularly given the lack of gear available for characters beyond heroic stuff. You have to realize, Mogu'shan Vaults drops gear that is 2 tiers above heroic level gear. It's 26 ilvls higher.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If you macro jab to tiger strike you are going to run into situations where you won't have energy ready to use keg smash or expel harm. That would be bad.

Agreed. You don't want to macro it. You need to be situational with it. Monk is probably one of the hardest tanks to play because you need to assess everything that's going on before deciding what to use chi on. It's an incredible active class that requires you to be very strong on hitting mitigation abilities at the proper time while maintaining buffs and debuffs for optimal all around performance. Guard, Elusive Brew, Purifying Brew, BoK for shuffle, etc.

Berordn

Heroic WotLK wasn't easy.

Wrath heroics were intended to be far more accessible than BC and Cata ones were at the beginning of the expansion. They did scale very poorly with gear, but they were a lot easier and even in questing blues/greens you could complete them. The packs required no CC and for the most part were designed to be AoE'd down or just had a simple kill order. The difficulty of heroics is a constantly shifting paradigm for Blizzard, and considering the HoT heroics in 4.3 were intentionally designed to be like Wrath heroics, they're moving away from the BC/early Cata model.

They did get stupid easy once everyone was getting T9 handed to them on a silver platter, I'll give you that.

Tarazet

Where are people at with Golden Lotus rep? I just managed Friendly yesterday. I can't imagine too many people have the epic gear or schematics.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Nope, LFR isn't up yet!

Bizazedo

They did scale very poorly with gear, but they were a lot easier and even in questing blues/greens you could complete them. .

You could, you're right. If I remember a right, a group did that specifically to show it could be done because a lot of people were freaking out and demanding x to group.

Burning Crusade was hilariously over the edge. Shattered Halls ruined so many people and although it was a matter of pride for besting it initially, it can easily be viewed as too extreme. Even after making it to Kargath, he'd wreck so many people.

In an organized group, Wrath heroics were easier than Cata or BC. Wrath was definitely the easiest of the three in terms of Heroic difficulty at the beginning of the expansion, but it still gave PUGS issues. It was probably a good compromise point. My issue was you saying Heroics have warped and Blizzard has a shifting paradigm for them.

I don't think it's a constantly shifting paradigm, or at least it wasn't before now. I really don't. I just think it's very hard to do what they were intended to be and don't blame them at all for it.

i.e., hard, but not impossible.

I think Blizzard set for themselves an impossible goal, realized it, and thus we now have Challenge Modes.

Tarazet

Next week.

It has an ilvl requirement of 463. I don't see a large percentage of players getting to that in time. That means having heroic gear in every slot, or almost every slot plus two Coren's Direbrew trinkets. I've been playing every day since launch and I'm at 454. I'll be striving to get over the hump, though, because it'll drop 476 gear and our guild is too small to run raids.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Crafted PvP gear should help. My guild is preparing to gear me up on my Monk once I hit 90 this weekend, and that's how they intend to do it at first to let me LFR for gear, haha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You could, you're right. If I remember a right, a group did that specifically to show it could be done because a lot of people were freaking out and demanding x to group.

Burning Crusade was hilariously over the edge. Shattered Halls ruined so many people and although it was a matter of pride for besting it initially, it can easily be viewed as too extreme. Even after making it to Kargath, he'd wreck so many people.

In an organized group, Wrath heroics were easier than Cata or BC. Wrath was definitely the easiest of the three in terms of Heroic difficulty at the beginning of the expansion, but it still gave PUGS issues. It was probably a good compromise point. My issue was you saying Heroics have warped and Blizzard has a shifting paradigm for them.

I don't think it's a constantly shifting paradigm, or at least it wasn't before now. I really don't. I just think it's very hard to do what they were intended to be and don't blame them at all for it.

i.e., hard, but not impossible.

I think Blizzard set for themselves an impossible goal, realized it, and thus we now have Challenge Modes.

Seriously it was insane, I have to make a mouseover macro to keep everyone on me. This was back then cleave only hit 2 max and thunderclap only hit 3, there were pulls of 4-6. Mother of god, it was more of a fight against the mechanics.

Seriously it was insane, I have to make a mouseover macro to keep everyone on me. This was back then cleave only hit 2 max and thunderclap only hit 3, there were pulls of 4-6. Mother of god, it was more of a fight against the mechanics.

Pulls of 6-8 you mean.

The pulls of 4 were just as bad because you were forced to wait for them to damage each other down to sub 70% health so you could burst them down before your tank got shredded.

Shattered Halls was a nightmare and you were expected to speed-clear it just to attune for T5 content. Ridiculous.

Irnbru

H Shattered Halls was one of my favorite instances tanking as a warrior. The rush of doing everything right was sooooogoood.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Pulls of 6-8 you mean.

The pulls of 4 were just as bad because you were forced to wait for them to damage each other down to sub 70% health so you could burst them down before your tank got shredded.

Shattered Halls was a nightmare and you were expected to speed-clear it just to attune for T5 content. Ridiculous.

I had a friend who played a mage and another who played a hunter so when we went for the first few clears it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately I was relegated to being the tank for getting our entire raid group through that place...I still have nightmares...

Thinking my video card crapped out. Can't play WoW for more than 3 minutes without the screen freezing in a pixelated mess.

New card comes tomorrow, hopefully I can install it no prob and it resolves my crashing!

Top Bottom