• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Chris R

H Shattered Halls was one of my favorite instances tanking as a warrior. The rush of doing everything right was sooooogoood.gif

Exactly. HSHalls was just tough enough when it released. You needed to know the order to down the trash, what to CC, how to pull, ect. It was soooooooogooood :(

Weenerz

Banned
I remember doing heroic shattered halls when it was required for attunement to The Eye, fun times. We had 2 mages, hunter, priest and warrior tank, CC out the ass and it still was a struggle. Saving that dude at the end for the quest made it pretty tense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It has an ilvl requirement of 463. I don't see a large percentage of players getting to that in time. That means having heroic gear in every slot, or almost every slot plus two Coren's Direbrew trinkets. I've been playing every day since launch and I'm at 454. I'll be striving to get over the hump, though, because it'll drop 476 gear and our guild is too small to run raids.

You are now able to obtain a VP item from the various factions at Honored, but not all of them.

Fularu

Banned
Heroic Underbog , that one giant MOB in the end would one shot tanks....

Those were fun times indeed!
That never happened on my warrior.

BC heroics were frustrating because they had obviously been designed with bear tanks in mind (with prot pallies a second).

With that said, it was feasible, just not fun.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think the playerbase was vastly different back in TBC. They were young, fresh, new to the MMO experience and were willing to learn. As more people got into the game, with the varying types of people now playing, Blizzard had to cater to the lowest common denominator so that everyone could enjoy it which is why we had the Wrath heroics.

Fularu

Banned
I disagree, in TBC tanks tanked for their guild and that was it, plenty of awfull players that you avoided like the plague.

The difference is that now, you almost never play with the same people twice and if my BC warrior had his wrath tools, BC heroics would have been just as easy

TheYanger

I don't understand the last page. There is more to do here than ever before. there is readily available CHALLENGING content. Who gives a shit if the queueable content is easy? It has to be, this has been proven over time. One of the best guilds in the world beat the first raid on normal mode the first day. I find it more shocking that anyone would be surprised by that than that it happened. Elegon is apparantly quite hard judging by the statistics, so idk what exactly more can be desired from 'normal' modes, GOOD GUILDS HAVE ALWAYS TRASHED THEM.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
TheYanger is right about everything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't understand the last page. There is more to do here than ever before. there is readily available CHALLENGING content. Who gives a shit if the queueable content is easy? It has to be, this has been proven over time. One of the best guilds in the world beat the first raid on normal mode the first day. I find it more shocking that anyone would be surprised by that than that it happened. Elegon is apparantly quite hard judging by the statistics, so idk what exactly more can be desired from 'normal' modes, GOOD GUILDS HAVE ALWAYS TRASHED THEM.

Most of the people complaining are people who only have a passing familiarity with how current game content works and just remember Vanilla/TBC.

Fjordson

As with any game ever released, there will always be a select, elite group of freaks that clear the content faster than you can "MoP is Kungfu Panda ripoff".
Yeah, I've always found it a little unfair to use the absolute bleeding edge as a measuring stick for something like MMO content. Or maybe not unfair...but, I don't know, I just don't think their experience with content is indicative of the general playerbase.

Does anybody here use a Radeon 7850 GPU?

I just ordered one after my card started crapping out, but have been reading some conflicting reports of WoW not performing well with this card.

I just ordered one after my card started crapping out, but have been reading some conflicting reports of WoW not performing well with this card.
I don't personally, but I just upgraded from a 6950 that was able to run everything at Ultra ~60fps most of the time. There were dips into the 40s, but mostly 60fps. And this is in conjunction with an i7-3930k.

Fjordson

Wtf, do monks not get to use the leather gear from Arathi Basin? Flew up to the quartermaster to grab the boots and belt, but it's literally not showing up for sale. Lame.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I've always found it a little unfair to use the absolute bleeding edge as a measuring stick for something like MMO content. Or maybe not unfair...but, I don't know, I just don't think their experience with content is indicative of the general playerbase.

It is, you're right. People will say that about this content but never clear the heroic stuff themselves. Bandwagon, ho!

Been using it for maybe two months now. No issues so far. Made sure I registered the damn thing though in case I do.

I don't personally, but I just upgraded from a 6950 that was able to run everything at Ultra ~60fps most of the time. There were dips into the 40s, but mostly 60fps. And this is in conjunction with an i7-3930k.
Been using it for maybe two months now. No issues so far. Made sure I registered the damn thing though in case I do.
Awesome. Thanks dudes, was starting to get a little nervous about my order.

Teletraan1

Banned
Why are Rez costs so high? I get 2 dummies that stand in a 1 shot mechanic and have to rez them, it cost me around 40% of my mana and the stupid ass tank is already chain pulling the next pack after the boss. That is how these randoms go. It only punishes healers to have to be oom for an out of combat rez to cost so much. There are no current gameplay exploits that I can think of that justify this cost.

Angry Grimace

Why are Rez costs so high? I get 2 dummies that stand in a 1 shot mechanic and have to rez them, it cost me around 40% of my mana and the stupid ass tank is already chain pulling the next pack after the boss. That is how these randoms go. It only punishes healers to have to be oom for an out of combat rez to cost so much. There are no current gameplay exploits that I can think of that justify this cost.

Just use Mass Rez instead.

Bizazedo

Most of the people complaining are people who only have a passing familiarity with how current game content works and just remember Vanilla/TBC.

"Old content was harder, this new content is pretty easy."

"You just don't know how the current game content works."

".....yes I do, it's too easy?"

"There's a new challenge mode!"

"Yes, but it just seems like a speed run that encourages you to take risks that would normally be unnecessary. Yes, it's challenging, but not in the same wa-"

"CHALLENGE MODE!"

/golfclap

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone having trouble logging in to EU realms? The game's hanging on "Logging in to server" part.

EDIT oh, re-logging solved that.

Ultratech

I remember doing heroic shattered halls when it was required for attunement to The Eye, fun times. We had 2 mages, hunter, priest and warrior tank, CC out the ass and it still was a struggle. Saving that dude at the end for the quest made it pretty tense.

Oh man, that takes me back...

Took forever to find a decent group for that place sometimes. Was pretty hard, but oh so good once you beat it. The worst was trying to lead an enemy to a trap only to get that ever-dreaded "Trap Resisted" message and end up running around kiting the guy.

Very nasty pulls...that's all I remember. The only other hard heroic I remember was Sethekk Halls, because the enemies in there could ruin your day quickly.

Also remember running a crapton of Shadow Labyrinth for some reason.

I remember farming them for the stupid heroic key, and the blacksmithing or cooking recipe. Still liked the heroics.

Heh, I remember those silly Heroic keys. Now those were some crappy rep grinds. I ended up hitting Exalted with Cenarion after doing so many Steamvaults hoping for that Epic Bow to drop.

Angry Grimace

"Yes, but it just seems like a speed run that encourages you to take risks that would normally be unnecessary. Yes, it's challenging, but not in the same wa-"

"CHALLENGE MODE!"

/golfclap

Challenge Mode is also just harder in general, and heroic raids are nothing like what you're talking about. But hey, I'm all for arguing theoretically about things you've never done.

Draxal

I don't agree with you on alot of things, but totally agree with you on this, Blizzard stepped up to the plate and delivered at least a solid double here. My concern is once 5.3-whatsoever comes out that this stuff would be static, and there needs to be a new incentive for the people who have already done them to do them again or new challenges, or that content isn't going to be used.

And honestly, the hardest part of the BC heroics was actually getting the gear to actually do them initially, once geared they were doable (except my one friend could not tank heroic Steam Vaults for shit, pretty much made him quit tanking for such along time).

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today I became honoured with The Black Prince by grinding rep on the Zan'vess isle in Dread Wastes. It was super easy. Took about two hours going from 1000 to 6000. It can probably be done much faster, I played rather relaxed.

I've been doing some heroic dungeons as well. Most of them feel to me as easy as scenarios. Only very few feature interesting/new mechanics and they are very short. Nothing like Blackrock Depths or Maraudon. I only do them to gear up for Mogu'Shan Vaults, I have some pieces ready.

Angry Grimace

Rösti;42819260 said:
Today I became honoured with The Black Prince by grinding rep on the Zan'vess isle in Dread Wastes. It was super easy. Took about two hours going from 1000 to 6000. It can probably be done much faster, I played rather relaxed.

I've been doing some heroic dungeons as well. Most of them feel to me as easy as scenarios. Only very few feature interesting/new mechanics and they are very short. Nothing like Blackrock Depths or Maraudon. I only do them to gear up for Mogu'Shan Vaults, I have some pieces ready.

There really isn't any reason to rush grinding Wrathion; there's nothing you can even do with his reward until Heart of Fear comes out and you can get a Sha-Touched weapon.

Dresden

"CHALLENGE MODE!"

/golfclap

let's see your challenge mode runs brah

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There really isn't any reason to rush grinding Wrathion; there's nothing you can even do with his reward until Heart of Fear comes out and you can get a Sha-Touched weapon.
I know, I just wanted to get it done so I could focus on something else. When is Heart of Fear coming out by the way, is it four or two weeks from now?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I disagree, in TBC tanks tanked for their guild and that was it, plenty of awfull players that you avoided like the plague.

The difference is that now, you almost never play with the same people twice and if my BC warrior had his wrath tools, BC heroics would have been just as easy

This is absolutely right, if BC warrior tanks had the same toolkit as LK warrior tanks stuff like shattered halls would have been a joke.

Draxal

This is absolutely right, if BC warrior tanks had the same toolkit as LK warrior tanks stuff like shattered halls would have been a joke.

Shattered Halls was a joke with a Paladin tank, although I do think that BC heroics were harder overall, I few it more as a frustrating hard, instead of a fun hard, when it was the only content available for a decent amount of people. I think Challenge modes do fit that niche, you only have to get a gold once on each of them and don't have to do it again (which is what made the BC heroics annoying), but getting the right team for it is going to be such a pain in the ass.

Irnbru

Shattered Halls was a joke with a Paladin tank, although I do think that BC heroics were harder overall, I few it more as a frustrating hard, instead of a fun hard, when it was the only content available for a decent amount of people. I think Challenge modes do fit that niche, you only have to get a gold once on each of them and don't have to do it again (which is what made the BC heroics annoying), but getting the right team for it is going to be such a pain in the ass.

Nah, it was fun hard. Made you push your tanking to the limit.
I can't wait for challenge mode healing! NO MANA AFTER EVERY PULL :D

Draxal

Nah, it was fun hard. Made you push your tanking to the limit.
I can't wait for challenge mode healing! NO MANA AFTER EVERY PULL :D

It's not a fun hard when you have to do it 100 times, or nobody else in the guild wants to do it for a new person in the guild, so you have to do it pugging.

Irnbru

It's not a fun hard when you have to do it 100 times, or nobody else in the guild wants to do it for a new person in the guild, so you have to do it pugging.

Well of course you needed a good team, I mean, pugs in general for anything beyond a normal would always be bad news. ( I mean, people would fail LFR. ) Also, my damn guildies already finished up the heroic achievements and got their mounts, damn my crazy work schedule!

Angry Grimace

Rösti;42819520 said:
I know, I just wanted to get it done so I could focus on something else. When is Heart of Fear coming out by the way, is it four or two weeks from now?

End of the month, I believe.

TheYanger

The only part of Shattered halls that was hard was tanking. I knew so many tanks that were successful in vanilla that couldn't do a 45 minute shattered halls run for the life of them, but I could do htme with no CC on my alt without much trouble. It was a fun dungeon for sure, but it was only hard because of the limited toolset of the warriors of the day compared to what the dungeon was throwing at you.

Challenge Modes aren't that kind of 'unfair' hard, they're coordination among everyone, I have equated them to BC heroics at launch in appropriate gear except with a timer. I stand by that, Shattered Halls was tank-heavy, but overall the original BC heroics were challenging and required a lot of tricks for your group to enable tank survival. Challenge Modes totally deliver on that, anyone pining for BC heroics - there you go, make a group. Oh you wanted to queue for them? I thought you remembered BC where you had to actually make one because you wanted to have a snowball's chance in hell of success.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Damn, they really buffed earning guild rep.

I joined a random ass leveling guild for the perks (because I can't invite myself into our dead guild) and I hit exalted at 70 without the tabards.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

I joined a random ass leveling guild for the perks (because I can't invite myself into our dead guild) and I hit exalted at 70 without the tabards.

It's pretty awesome, isn't? Before you got, like, 2 exp from doing a quest.

Irnbru

The only part of Shattered halls that was hard was tanking. I knew so many tanks that were successful in vanilla that couldn't do a 45 minute shattered halls run for the life of them, but I could do htme with no CC on my alt without much trouble. It was a fun dungeon for sure, but it was only hard because of the limited toolset of the warriors of the day compared to what the dungeon was throwing at you.

Challenge Modes aren't that kind of 'unfair' hard, they're coordination among everyone, I have equated them to BC heroics at launch in appropriate gear except with a timer. I stand by that, Shattered Halls was tank-heavy, but overall the original BC heroics were challenging and required a lot of tricks for your group to enable tank survival. Challenge Modes totally deliver on that, anyone pining for BC heroics - there you go, make a group. Oh you wanted to queue for them? I thought you remembered BC where you had to actually make one because you wanted to have a snowball's chance in hell of success.

Give this man a medal.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

My low lvl warlock was exalted with my guild at lvl 34 with the tabard, and i didnt even do all the quests on my way, there was some dungeon xp in there too... :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Spawn timer on Galleon?

Top Bottom