• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

zugzug

Alex said:
Going back and watching a video of Ragnaros from back in the day makes me wonder how I ever stayed awake during that garbage. You don't realize how crazy far the boss design has come until you go back and comb old-school MMO combat footage (or modern Square-Enix MMO footage lololol)

I dislike talk like this. its like your disrespecting the past.

Alex

And the past in MMO design deserves ridicule and disrespect. It was horrid game design in general.

Spot on, the genre being held to reasonable standards nowadays is what's causing every new release to faceplant out of the gate or fall into a license fandom niche at best.

It's a shame, no one can compete with WoW on the whole traditional MMO bit so it feels like a lot of developers will sink into cheaper sub-genres with more focused action or dungeon crawling or instanced affairs.

Which is fine and fun but I would like to see a REALLY good dangerous, expansive world type of game again in this genre. I have a soft spot for classic Ultima Online and the crazy stuff it did for a game back in the 90s. Notably the property/boats/adventure and general guild systems (especially declaring war!)

Alucrid

Banned
What's that site that lets you put in a specific amount of a stat and then tells you what to reforge and what not to get it that way?

Alex said:
Spot on, the genre being held to reasonable standards nowadays is what's causing every new release to faceplant out of the gate or fall into a license fandom niche at best.

It's a shame, no one can compete with WoW on the whole traditional MMO bit so it feels like a lot of developers will sink into cheaper sub-genres with more focused action or dungeon crawling or instanced affairs.

Which is fine and fun but I would like to see a REALLY good dangerous, expansive world type of game again in this genre. I have a soft spot for classic Ultima Online and the crazy stuff it did for a game back in the 90s. Notably the property/boats/adventure and general guild systems (especially declaring war!)

Declaring wars between guilds could be an interesting PvP mechanic in the game that would probably add to some of the danger of venturing out and maybe revive world PvP a bit. Just use a mechanic like EVE has where the guilds at war from any faction can attack each other without interference anywhere (except capital cities and perhaps some anti-griefing measures for low-level characters) and you would have a decent time. Would be best if it worked on both PvP and PvE servers, as it would be just like flagging yourself to a specific group, rather than anyone of the opposite faction (and no one of your own.)

Alucrid said:
Perfect, thanks. Also lol at people putting delicate inferno rubies for 250 when I can buy inferno rubies at 65g, and tip someone 20g to make them for me.

That stuff totally sells anyway though. People are lazy. I never really did cuts for random people (guild members for free of course) as it devalues the finished product. What will happen is people will get a new piece of gear during the raid and if they want to use it immediately they'll often hearth back during a break and just buy a cut gem rather than having to fuss about with finding and making sure someone has the cut you need. The extra price is really a convenience fee - I could sell cut gems for 5g more than the raw gem and still make a profit eventually, but it's a simple case of supply and demand really. Sufficient demand to justify the price, even if the supply is nearly unlimited.

And that was a kind of long bit, but making a decent profit from the auction house is a pretty fun sidegame and I kind pretty into it towards the end of Wrath and beginning of Cata when I wasn't really raiding.

Alex

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Declaring wars between guilds could be an interesting PvP mechanic in the game that would probably add to some of the danger of venturing out and maybe revive world PvP a bit. Just use a mechanic like EVE has where the guilds at war from any faction can attack each other without interference anywhere (except capital cities and perhaps some anti-griefing measures for low-level characters) and you would have a decent time. Would be best if it worked on both PvP and PvE servers, as it would be just like flagging yourself to a specific group, rather than anyone of the opposite faction (and no one of your own.)

It's a nice concept, and I think it'd work really well back in say, classic or maybe even through BC but the greater world is really dead in Cataclysm (which is kind of funny given the theme of the expansion).

Next expansion is supposed to be a new continent, at least that's what they said around the time Cataclysm launched. If they could congest players there and put some new systems out into the zones outside of those few simply gathering when you're capped, you could do fun things like that.

Though, since it's related to some of the struggles with this I will say, and I'm sure some people will think I'm nuts, that I really do think the focus on flying mounts was a mistake. They should be a treat for certain areas and zones. As it is they just cause problems and it's like eating pancakes for every meal.

I don't want traveling timesinks, but there's better ways around that, IMO.

Alucrid

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:

That stuff totally sells anyway though. People are lazy. I never really did cuts for random people (guild members for free of course) as it devalues the finished product. What will happen is people will get a new piece of gear during the raid and if they want to use it immediately they'll often hearth back during a break and just buy a cut gem rather than having to fuss about with finding and making sure someone has the cut you need. The extra price is really a convenience fee - I could sell cut gems for 5g more than the raw gem and still make a profit eventually, but it's a simple case of supply and demand really. Sufficient demand to justify the price, even if the supply is nearly unlimited.

And that was a kind of long bit, but making a decent profit from the auction house is a pretty fun sidegame and I kind pretty into it towards the end of Wrath and beginning of Cata when I wasn't really raiding.

Mmhm. That's why I'm gonna either get my druid / dk leveled to make me gems or just wait until raw ones drop low in price and get someone in the guild to make me heaps. I used to be able to make ~2k gold for about 1:30-2:00 of farming but people stopped buying the greens that dropped and I got bored of farming leather so I haven't been in the AH game for a bit. Still, doing daily quests has given me enough to slowly keep going positive. lol

I just did my first Firelands trash run. Need to do more for the epics and, I suppose, rep. God I wish I had that polearm and bow.

Sweeeeeet. In my guilds main firelands run. I feel special.

Edit: Got the Avenger of Hyjal friendly cloak, huzzah.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How can some people already have the avenger cloak? I did every single daily since day 1 and im at 149 marks.

M.D

Alucrid said:

I'm a Blood Elf Mage - Is that a good combination? What can I do best as this character? I basically have no idea about this part of the game and I only chose what looked the coolest looking character to me

I understand most of what you do until you hit higher levels (50+?) is completing quests, but is there anything else I can do at the lower levels? Is it useful to buy gear from the NPC's right now? I feel I'm being led by the nose right now only doing quest after quest.. Maybe I'm even missing quests?

When you do raidgs you pretty much have to be part of a guild right?

I'm currently on Kazzak which is a PVP server - What the difference? Like.. are there no raids done on this server? Only PVP?

Any general tips?

Alucrid

Banned
M.D said:
I'm a Blood Elf Mage - Is that a good combination? What can I do best as this character? I basically have no idea about this part of the game and I only chose what looked the coolest looking character to me

I understand most of what you do until you hit higher levels (50+?) is completing quests, but is there anything else I can do at the lower levels? Is it useful to buy gear from the NPC's right now? I feel I'm being led by the nose right now only doing quest after quest.. Maybe I'm even missing quests?

I'm currently on Kazzak which is a PVP server - What the difference? Like.. are there no raids done on this server? Only PVP?

Any general tips?

If you like the blood elf character stick with that. Racials are nice but by no means make or break a character. You can do quests or you can do dungeons using the dungeon finder. I'd get most of your gear from quests of dungeons. NPCs probably won't sell that great of gear for you at the moment. Raids, yes and no. You might be able to find a pick up group for a raid, but for consistent and good raiding a guild is preferable. PVP means that you can be attacked by a member of the opposing factor any time. PVE means that you can only be attacked in you flag yourself for PVE. Raids are still done on PVP servers, no effect other than you're always open to attack by the other faction.

Tamanon

Banned
M.D said:

Any general tips?

Well, once you hit level 10 you can start doing PvP in battlegrounds. That can be fun if a bit frustrating as a cloth-wearer, due to the plate-wearers with really awesome weapons.

At level 15, you can hit I and access the Dungeon Finder. It'd be a good idea to at least try some of those while leveling, because that's what you're going to have at 85.

And a PvP server has everything a PvE server does, just also has world PvP.

M.D

Alucrid said:
If you like the blood elf character stick with that. Racials are nice but by no means make or break a character. You can do quests or you can do dungeons using the dungeon finder. I'd get most of your gear from quests of dungeons. NPCs probably won't sell that great of gear for you at the moment. Raids, yes and no. You might be able to find a pick up group for a raid, but for consistent and good raiding a guild is preferable. PVP means that you can be attacked by a member of the opposing factor any time. PVE means that you can only be attacked in you flag yourself for PVE. Raids are still done on PVP servers, no effect other than you're always open to attack by the other faction.

Thank you :)

About dungeons - What levels are we talking about? I'm currently level 6. I've just started the trial

What level do you usually start going to dungeons? And do I go alone or with a group? If so I do I find me a group?

Nugg

M.D said:

About dungeons - What levels are we talking about? I'm currently level 6. I've just started the trial

What level do you usually start going to dungeons? And do I go alone or with a group? If so I do I find me a group?
You can start running dungeons at level 15 (I think). You'll get a dungeon finder tool that builds the group for you when you get to the appropriate level.

Bisnic said:
How can some people already have the avenger cloak? I did every single daily since day 1 and im at 149 marks.
Hyjal Avengers stuff is linked to the raid rep, not the dailies.

Alucrid

Banned
M.D said:

Like Tamanon said it opens at 15, then as you level newer dungeons open up.

Edit: How long does arch take to level?

M.D

Thank guys really appreciate it! The game really lacks any explanation about anything lol

What other things can you do in the game? Things like mining and such.. What level do you start? What does ti give you?

I'm having fun although I'm just doing generic quests at the moment.. It really strangely addictive and fun...

Nugg

M.D said:
The game really lacks any explanation about anything lol
It really does a good job not overwhelming you with things you don't need yet.

As a Blood Elf, you should start checking out professions such as mining when you first hit Silvermoon. Just ask the guards about the profession trainers.

Just wanted to come in and say that I've been playing Brutal Legend and the design and feel of the zones/environments in that game are amazing and remind me very much of Azeroth. Would be great to see WoW 2's environments look similar to that of Brutal Legend's whenever it comes around.

M.D

Nugg said:
It really does a good job not overwhelming you with things you don't need yet.

As a Blood Elf, you should start checking out professions such as mining when you first hit Silvermoon. Just ask the guards about the profession trainers.

I'm now at Silvermoon because there was a quest that took me near there

I'm a bit confused about the quests now - I see no more quests on the map, and it says I need to level up to take some quest I can take from the last guy who gave me one

What do I do now? level up by killing monsters and get more quests open up?

Edit:

Never mind, I found me some quests

One thing that I'm curious about... Why there's seems to be no one where ever I go?

Tamanon

Banned
M.D said:
I'm now at Silvermoon because there was a quest that took me near there

I'm a bit confused about the quests now - I see no more quests on the map, and it says I need to level up to take some quest I can take from the last guy who gave me one

What do I do now? level up by killing monsters and get more quests open up?

Edit:

Never mind, I found me some quests

One thing that I'm curious about... Why there's seems to be no one where ever I go?

Depends on the area, Silvermoon is pretty barren of people.

If you want to see many many people, there's a teleporter in Silvermoon that takes you to the Undead City. From there, you can take a blimp north of there to Orgrimmar, the main capital city.

Bisnic

Yeah, until you reach the higher lvl zones(80+), you wont see many people outside of Orgrimmar or Stormwind if you're alliance. And Silvermoon is probably the worst.

Bisnic

Blizzard added a new option in the armory where we can see what mounts/companions people have and what they're missing. Pretty neat! Now i'll know where to look at for the 100 companions achievement.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
So I just kited Gri'lek to death in ZG with only the healer up from 50% lol.
It was quite common to have 2 people duo one of Arch bosses early on. People would die from dumb stuff.

On our first guild run everyone that died ran back and watched through the shield.

Alex

All I know about AskMrRobot is every few days I have to correct problems on guildies or friends who use it's suggestions.

Alucrid

Banned
I lost both the Polearm and Crossbow in a trash run tonight. I r sad. :(

DeathNote said:
It was quite common to have 2 people duo one of Arch bosses early on. People would die from dumb stuff.

On our first guild run everyone that died ran back and watched through the shield.

It brought back the memories of having the old hunter quest for the staff/bow. I want more like that are fun and test your skills.

zugzug

I feel dirty now.

Not enough people showed up for firelands raid today me included so they went back and killed Al'akir, Cho-gall, and Nef.

I logged in and got in for Nef kill. Dumbest thing ever its so stupidly easy. Allowing firelands gear and the nerf to content. It was my first Nef kill but I so do not appreciate it.

Seeing a lesser guild that was only able to do 7 of 12 and now sitting around with Defender of Shattered World and sitting on Purple Phoenixes. I know most everyone one of you will disagree with me but I don't care.

The guy a few pages back speaking about no middle ground, Absolutely correct.

M.D

I'm now level 12 and I think I have 2 talent points

What make these different than the powers I have now? Which talent tree should I invest in? Am I limited to one?

Also, I'm not getting any useful gear in my quests and the the one at the NPC's doesn't look that good either but the enemies keep getting stronger... What do I do?

Bisnic

M.D said:
I'm now level 12 and I think I have 2 talent points

What make these different than the powers I have now? Which talent tree should I invest in? Am I limited to one?

Also, I'm not getting any useful gear in my quests and the the one at the NPC's doesn't look that good either but the enemies keep getting stronger... What do I do?

Talents improve all your spells, which could be damage, crit chance or speed cast or other cooler and more unique stuff like giving entirely new spells unique to your tree.

Since you are a mage, i suggest you go with frost talents, they are pretty powerful for lvling and questing and your elemental pet is useful with its ranged freeze. You can kill most melee enemies before they even touch you.

You can only choose 1 tree at the beginning, but once you get the talent at the bottom of the tree, you can take points into other trees, which is recommended.

Also, keep questing, you'll eventually get good gear with more intellect, stamina, crit and all other useful stats

M.D

Bisnic said:
Talents improve all your spells, which could be damage, crit chance or speed cast or other cooler and more unique stuff like giving entirely new spells unique to your tree.

Since you are a mage, i suggest you go with frost talents, they are pretty powerful for lvling and questing and your elemental pet is useful with its ranged freeze. You can kill most melee enemies before they even touch you.

You can only choose 1 tree at the beginning, but once you get the talent at the bottom of the tree, you can take points into other trees, which is recommended.

Also, keep questing, you'll eventually get good gear with more intellect, stamina, crit and all other useful stats

I went with frost as it seems like the best choice

People here said when I reach level 15 I should go for the dungeons but when I click that dungeon finder I only see dangerous for Cata

Maybe it because I'm playing a trial I can't play the dungeons? Also, if I go to dangerous does it give me XP? Will I level up with that? So I should cut a bit on the quests on focus on dungeons from level 15?

I read when you hit level 15 you should go for quests with a group - How do I find a group? since almost no one is in these areas I play right now

Bisnic

M.D said:
I went with frost as it seems like the best choice

People here said when I reach level 15 I should go for the dungeons but when I click that dungeon finder I only see dangerous for Cata

Maybe it because I'm playing a trial I can't play the dungeons? Also, if I go to dangerous does it give me XP? Will I level up with that? So I should cut a bit on the quests on focus on dungeons from level 15?

I read when you hit level 15 you should go for quests with a group - How do I find a group? since almost no one is in these areas I play right now

I don't really know what this "dangerous for cata" means. Maybe it's a trial thing.

But doing quests as a group means doing dungeons. And when you do dungeons, you just join a queue, wait for 10-15 mins for the game to find 4 other people before getting teleported to the dungeon. No real effort on your part to find them and its great XP and loot.

Just be careful of one thing when playing as a group, when good loot drop, you'll see a window with a dice(Need) and gold(Greed) icons. Only choose need if the loot is an upgrade for your class(say a robe with more intellect than your own) and choose greed for every other stuff. The only rare occasions where someone might choose need other than for gear is when rare mounts drop.

M.D

Bisnic said:
I don't really know what this "dangerous for cata" means. Maybe it's a trial thing.

But doing quests as a group means doing dungeons. And when you do dungeons, you just join a queue, wait for 10-15 mins for the game to find 4 other people before getting teleported to the dungeon. No real effort on your part to find them and its great XP and loot.

Just be careful of one thing when playing as a group, when good loot drop, you'll see a window with a dice(Need) and gold(Greed) icons. Only choose need if the loot is an upgrade for your class(say a robe with more intellect than your own) and choose greed for every other stuff. The only rare occasions where someone might choose need other than for gear is when rare mounts drop.

I checked and there are nothing that says you can't do dungeons if you are playing a trial

When I hit the dungeon finder I just see Cata in the left corner after "Home" and it shows me high level dungeons

Maybe I'll see all of them when I reach level 15 or something

Anyway I've just come across what I was saying earlier, an "Elite Quest" that is suggested I will take with a group

How do I find this group?

Edit: Never mind about that dungeon thing... I was looking at dungeon journal lol
dungeon finder is not yet available for me

dave is ok

aztek is ok
DeathNote said:
give an example.
I use Mr. Robot and have an example.

Crit and Mastery are both rated the same for locks, or so it says. So it'll just randomly tell me to change crit to mastery or mastery to crit. Reforged like two or three times before I realized the thing was being an asshole

Bisnic

M.D said:
I checked and there are nothing that says you can't do dungeons if you are playing a trial

When I hit the dungeon finder I just see Cata in the left corner after "Home" and it shows me high level dungeons

Maybe I'll see all of them when I reach level 15 or something

Anyway I've just come across what I was saying earlier, an "Elite Quest" that is suggested I will take with a group

How do I find this group?

Edit: Never mind about that dungeon thing... I was looking at dungeon journal lol
dungeon finder is not yet available for me

Oh yeah.. elite quests require for you to actual get a group for yourself, but they are so rare you can just skip them since its hard to find actually find a group. If you are in Ghostlands, you might find more of them than anywhere else as its old content. Newest content doesnt have as much elite quests.

M.D

Bisnic said:
Oh yeah.. elite quests require for you to actual get a group for yourself, but they are so rare you can just skip them since its hard to find actually find a group. If you are in Ghostlands, you might find more of them than anywhere else as its old content. Newest content doesnt have as much elite quests.

Yup, I'm in Ghostlands.
Haven't seen many people here.. just a few. I doubt a lot of people will want to join this.

I hate this kind of broken game design :\

Anyways, I think I'm gonna get some quests done to hit level 15 and just go do the dungeons

I don't know if I'm happy with this Blood Elf Mage pick I made.. I dunno why
I like playing mage and attacking from distance, but with the selection you have in WOW maybe I should have done some research before picking

Bisnic

M.D said:
Yup, I'm in Ghostlands.
Haven't seen many people here.. just a few. I doubt a lot of people will want to join this.

I hate this kind of broken game design :\

Anyways, I think I'm gonna get some quests done to hit level 15 and just go do the dungeons

I don't know if I'm happy with this Blood Elf Mage pick I made.. I dunno why
I like playing mage and attacking from distance, but with the selection you have in WOW maybe I should have done some research before picking

Well the big problem with blood elves is that their starting zones are the oldest ones in the game currently, which kinda shows in the quest design and which also mean probably the ones where you won't find as many people as the other newest ones.

Also, not many people like blood elves. People often make fun of them, just like gnomes for the alliance. :p Don't take this too seriously though, pick what you like to look at.

M.D

Bisnic said:
Well the big problem with blood elves is that their starting zones are the oldest ones in the game currently, which kinda shows in the quest design and which also mean probably the ones where you won't find as many people as the other newest ones.

Also, not many people like blood elves. People often make fun of them, just like gnomes for the alliance. :p Don't take this too seriously though, pick what you like to look at.

I just checked the other races from the horde and god dammit are they ugly! that the only reason I picked blood elf in the first place without knowing much about anything

You can change a race, right? How can I do that?

What would you say the best combination of race and class? Is magic a good class?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
M.D said:
I just checked the other races from the horde and god dammit are they ugly! that the only reason I picked blood elf in the first place without knowing much about anything

What would you say the best combination of race and class? Is magic a good class?
You can pay 25$ to race change.

You're under level 20 right? Re-leveling is hella fast even for 1-60.

You can take your blood elf to a different low level zone. You're not forced to do the blood elf starting area.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/757449-Azeroth-level-flow-map

Don't worry about what the best race for a mage or any class is. Just pick what race and class you like. Some races can't do certain classes so you might want or need to broaden your horizon. Back in the day I hated everything but Undead. 5 years later I can and will play any race.

I would suggest leveling multiple races and classes to 15. It's extremely quick.

Picking a class you're not sure of and not experiencing the others is going to hurt you in the long run. Getting to 70 or 85 and realizing you don't like it or want a different class is bad.

Alucrid

Banned
I feel like an idiot. I was wearing the leather JP boots for a few days because I thought they were mail. I mean, it makes sense. Why would blizz include 2 mail boots one with mastery and the other haste. No hunter would go mastery > haste. :| I remedied that now though since I'm rolling in the JPs and only have 3 more slots until I'm epic'd out.

Also, I pretty much always get ZG when all I need is ZA. :|

Bisnic

M.D said:

If you hate how most of the Horde races look except blood elves, maybe Alliance is more for you. :p

Don't bother changing race unless it's high lvl and you spent a lot of time on it, with 25$ per character, you don't want to waste it on some character that took you only a few hours to get there.

There isnt really any "best" combination if you're playing the game as a game. Some hardcore elitist players will tell you that such race is better for such class, but the difference in power isn't huge enough to be worth it if you don't like how your character looks.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
I feel like an idiot. I was wearing the leather JP boots for a few days because I thought they were mail. I mean, it makes sense. Why would blizz include 2 mail boots one with mastery and the other haste. No hunter would go mastery > haste. :| I remedied that now though since I'm rolling in the JPs and only have 3 more slots until I'm epic'd out.

Also, I pretty much always get ZG when all I need is ZA. :|
I only see mastery JP mail boots. Mastery>Haste for shaman.

Nugg

M.D said:

Here's what you should do if you want to see cooler quests from the new expansion. Go back to Silvermoon. There, in the Sunfury Spire, you will find an orb that will teleport you to the Undercity.

Once you're in Undercity, get out by going north.You should see towers: that's where you can hop on a zeppelin. Just ask the goblins on top of the towers which dock will get you to Orgrimmar (it's the one with the bright red flags). Wait for the zeppelin, get to Orgrimmar.

Once you're in Orgrimmar, take the northern exit of the city, in the Valley of Honor. You are now in Azshara, one of the coolest zone post Cataclysm, with quests right in your level range.

If you get lost along the way, or if you change your mind, just use your hearthstone to go back to Silvermoon.

Top Bottom