• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

aesop said:
I'm not looking for raid strats. I'm just getting back into the game after a year and a half break with a new toon. Just looking for some info on the new zones and dungeons and what not. I rolled a pally healer, and I don't want to go into the newer stuff blind just to get kicked for wiping the group.

But thanks for the elitist attitude!

That post was elitist? Really? I told you to look at the journal, that's all you need to know.

Finally killed Rag last night. Pretty disappointed with how long it took us, but good to have it done. Got the lightning capacitor trinket too.

M.D

I just hit level 16 with my Druid

I still haven't picked a talent tree yet but I'm having a blast playing this class.
I love using the different forms. I haven't used the bear yet but the cat is really strong for me right now. I use it almost always for combat.

Although at least at these levels the mage has way more useful and powerful spells.
Being a frost mage it's really easy to control multiple targets. Simply freeze them and blast them with spells.

M.D said:

I still haven't picked a talent tree yet but I'm having a blast playing this class.
I love using the different forms. I haven't used the bear yet but the cat is really strong for me right now. I use it almost always for combat.

Although at least at these levels the mage has way more useful and powerful spells.
Being a frost mage it's really easy to control multiple targets. Simply freeze them and blast them with spells.

I have a feral druid. Use the cat to level, no matter what spec you end up with when you get to 85. Spec for damage and dual spec for tank or heals. That will make it go quicker. :)

M.D

devildog820 said:
I have a feral druid. Use the cat to level, no matter what spec you end up with when you get to 85. Spec for damage and dual spec for tank or heals. That will make it go quicker. :)

Not sure I understand what you've meant :x ... And yeah the cat really is strong
I just use the same 2 of the spells until I can get the stronger one and it over really quickly

Plus the stealth ability is really useful at times :p
I just hate it when mobs attack you and you can do nothing to avoid it

Garryk

Got to level 30 with my priest. I've been leveling as shadow, but I want to heal so I bought dual-spec and went disc for BGs and dungeons. Trying to heal in BGs is pretty pointless at this level because the heirloomed players are killing people before I can get a heal off or they just faceroll the healer.

I've been hesitant to try out the RDF due to how awful it is at 85. Is healing hard at this level or is it OP and puts the dungeons on easy mode?

Alucrid

Banned
Oh shit. Me and my friend went 8-0 this week in 2v2 arena. Me, Hunter, him, Death Knight, it was so fucking awesome. God, having resilience gear helps soooo much. Thank you 4k honor and 2211 resilience.

Thoraxes

moojito said:
I've only seen into phase 2 of the fight but it's certainly a good 'un. The whole instance is pretty good aside from lord R being janky as fuck and the bird boss being a bit too long. As I'm the sucker up in the air I find it incredibly stressful.
Phase 2 was difficult until we use what I call the "X" strategy. It was like magic and fixed everything.

I think my overall biggest complaint and compliment is that boss fights feel too short. Maybe it's because i'm one of those older players, but most fights, minus a few, are like 5 minutes long maximum.

Alucrid said:
Oh shit. Me and my friend went 8-0 this week in 2v2 arena. Me, Hunter, him, Death Knight, it was so fucking awesome. God, having resilience gear helps soooo much. Thank you 4k honor and 2211 resilience.
You won that many with only 2211 resil? How far in the brackets are you?

Garryk said:
Got to level 30 with my priest. I've been leveling as shadow, but I want to heal so I bought dual-spec and went disc for BGs and dungeons. Trying to heal in BGs is pretty pointless at this level because the heirloomed players are killing people before I can get a heal off or they just faceroll the healer.

I've been hesitant to try out the RDF due to how awful it is at 85. Is healing hard at this level or is it OP and puts the dungeons on easy mode?

You can pretty much heal all dungeons with renew and PW:Shield exclusively until you get to Wrath/Cata dungeons.

idlewild_

Azwethinkweiz said:
You can pretty much heal all dungeons with renew and PW:Shield exclusively until you get to Wrath/Cata dungeons.
that doesn't change in wrath dungeons, can't speak for cata normals, my healers aren't quite there yet

TheYanger

M.D said:

Choose a tree. any of them. You can respec for dirt cheap at lower levels, if anything it's the BEST time to experiment. You can't make fail choices that you can't undo in this game, beyond race/class selection (which you can still fix with some real money).

You're seriously gimped without a spec.

Alucrid

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Phase 2 was difficult until we use what I call the "X" strategy. It was like magic and fixed everything.

I think my overall biggest complaint and compliment is that boss fights feel too short. Maybe it's because i'm one of those older players, but most fights, minus a few, are like 5 minutes long maximum.

You won that many with only 2211 resil? How far in the brackets are you?

We only have a 933 rating. Here's what it says on the Arena menu though, Games 41, Win - Loss 24-17, Played 32. And yeah, two weeks or so ago I had like 200 resilience since I never pvped and was too lazy to craft my own gear. I'll probably hit 3k once I grab enough honor for a ring and another trinket. Still, going 8-0 ain't bad considering my gear and our team make up.

Alucrid said:
We only have a 933 rating. Here's what it says on the Arena menu though, Games 41, Win - Loss 24-17, Played 32. And yeah, two weeks or so ago I had like 200 resilience since I never pvped and was too lazy to craft my own gear. I'll probably hit 3k once I grab enough honor for a ring and another trinket. Still, going 8-0 ain't bad considering my gear and our team make up.

That's definitely a low rating. Me (DK) and a Priest (usually shadow, sometimes disc) made it to 1400-1500 easy last season. I think we got up to 1600 once, but that was the highest we went and we sort of plateaued around 1500 give or take a couple hundred points. Probably could have pushed it higher, but I stopped playing. We both had roughly 3k resilience. You still probably haven't hit the more decent sets of players. Sometimes it depends on the day you play too. It's easy to become streaky.

Alex

That rating seems really low for the wins. Usually at the lower brackets every win really shoots you up until like ~1500.

The whole situation with the honor is just silly, they probably should have just given everyone the 4k honor and been done with it. That's probably only a days worth for one of the large populace of bots that litter the Battlegrounds anyhow. I really wish they'd fix their borked method for this stuff.

I liked the old honor system a lot... IN THEORY, in practice it was ungodly bad (largely boiled down to whoever was on the PC 24/7 won, old school style) but I really do like the titles and tiered rewards and weekly competition. I was really looking forward to RBGs this expansion moreso than anything but they've not been really compelling to me and it's been a struggle just to get the folks together for it.

Alex said:
I was really looking forward to RBGs this expansion moreso than anything but they've not been really compelling to me and it's been a struggle just to get the folks together for it.

That's been my issue with WoW for the last few years. People take this shit far too seriously now, to the point they'll just play solo out of fear of other people messing up their 'wow life'. Or they'll group with people after they've submitted a resumé, and vetted them through several background checks.

Shits serious.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i wish rbgs were easier to get into. there should be a random league, who gives a shit about comp. just have the random league and you get better within certain bgs or whatever and play with people that are near your rating.

H. Shannox down tonight, still in the remedial raiding box but climbing out slowly.

For an easy fight there sure is a lot of complexity there. Managing 4 different stacking debuffs on 3 different mobs while avoiding tons of stuff on the ground? No sweat!

Someone on wowhead said he counted 47 separate elements to the normal mode Alysrazor fight. While I'm not so keen on only 7 bosses in FL it's fun to see where we are now in terms of encounter design compared to the very first raids. I could do without the gimmick fights but at least raiding requires an attention span these days.

What is the most comfortable tanking class in the game these days?

ie: Which one requires the least micro management and button mashing?

Thinking about getting back into the swing on a new server with a new play style.

M.D

TheYanger said:
Choose a tree. any of them. You can respec for dirt cheap at lower levels, if anything it's the BEST time to experiment. You can't make fail choices that you can't undo in this game, beyond race/class selection (which you can still fix with some real money).

You're seriously gimped without a spec.

I guess you're right. I don't know why but I'm afraid of making choices in this game.

I went with Balance since I don't like melee at all
I love playing this class, but I feel so weak and useless compared to a mage at about the same level.

CrashPrime said:

Thinking about getting back into the swing on a new server with a new play style.

Paladin. Just show up and that's pretty much all you need to do.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
CrashPrime said:

Don't play a warrior, that's for sure. Mine have nearly 20 buttons to use for every little situations and it can get confusing and irritating if you don't like this.

Alex

Player input highest to lowest for a tank:

Death Knight > Warrior > Druid > a rock >Paladin

Warrior is probably the best all around tank, currently. Well balanced defenses, medium-level play and a lot of neat utility.

i wish rbgs were easier to get into. there should be a random league, who gives a shit about comp. just have the random league and you get better within certain bgs or whatever and play with people that are near your rating.

Blizzard puts the carrot before design. That's often a source of their problems, especially with PvP. They have fantastic combat and support systems but they're always too focused on convoluted rewards systems and how to distribute them moreso than letting their game systems speak a little more for themselves.

I really think PvP in WoW could be such a big deal, way bigger than it is now, especially in drawing in new and returning customers if they'd just clean it up. Make a fun Horde vs Alliance expansion, shake it all up and do some of unique work on PvP and new types of PvE.

(although I'm still to the point where I'd rather see factions removed)

Bisnic

Alex said:

Warrior is probably the best all around tank, currently.

Warrior is the best because they have so many tools for so many situations. But that also means you have to use almost all your warrior abilities if you want to master warrior tanking. Not everyone want to learn how to properly use over 20 different abilities just for tanking(im including trinkets, tanking cooldowns and shouts in this). I mean, you have 4 different abilities just to quickly move around the field, 3 of them are pratically the same thing. If i was Blizzard, i would just remove Intercept and Intervene and change how Charge works.

Alex

Bisnic said:
Warrior is the best because they have so many tools for so many situations. But that also means you have to use almost all your warrior abilities if you want to master warrior tanking. Not everyone want to learn how to properly use over 20 different abilities just for tanking(im including trinkets, tanking cooldowns and shouts in this). I mean, you have 4 different abilities just to quickly move around the field, 3 of them are pratically the same thing. If i was Blizzard, i would just remove Intercept and Intervene and change how Charge works.

Yeah, the umpteen remakes to talent trees + expansions plus the general arms race of each archetype have done hurtful things to the spellbook, especially for a few classes. I really would love to see a pass over things like that. Priest and Warrior are just crazy in that regard.

Alex said:

Warrior is probably the best all around tank, currently. Well balanced defenses, medium-level play and a lot of neat utility.

Having played all 4 (3 at a high level, two at max level) I can say this is an accurate rating. And I would agree that Warriors are probably the best tank on average right now. Between utility abilities and defense capabilities, you can't go wrong with a warrior. The other tanks still work of course, but they're more likely to have specific advantages or disadvantages on a give fight.

Paladins are definitely brain-dead easy though. It's fun to play because you feel really powerful, but it definitely does not take as much mental processing power to pull off as effectively as the other classes. Avenger's Shield is SO good. I'm just a bit jealous since I mained a DK and forced into Blood we don't have a good multi-target taunt type ability. At least when tanking as Frost you had Howling Blast.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm enjoying Paladin tanking as my first tank as I level up. And yeah, Avenger's Shield can just be silly, especially for dealing with Pats. Then toss in Righteous defense and it's the ultimate "Training Wheels" tank.

Which I need if I'm also learning the dungeons and bosses. Then once I really get the hang of it, I'll see if I can switch to my warrior who is already 85.

Alex

Blizzard's PR speak is always amazingly full of shit but this one is actually pissing me off since it's shrugging off a core issue I have with modern WoW; it's no longer any more of an MMO than the original Guild Wars:

I see players in all of the cities all the time. My level 85 characters have their hearthstones set to Shattrath, and while it's not as crowded as it once was, I do see players coming and going when I'm there.

I'm on a maxed population server and if I pass through Shattrath I'll, rarely, see like one dude there because he's leveling in that range or something. The game world is completely dead outside of Org/Storm and whatever current patch questing zone they herd people into (ie; Molten Front)

Even if they go completely laze-ass on the actual world I wish they'd at least spread out the cities populace, I have a 4ghz quad core and a GTX 460 and going to the AH in Storm drops me to 35 FPS due to the entire server being all in one spot or in an instance.

Edit: Looks like everyone is calling out that CM and posting /who's of the emtpy cities, kinda funny

Alex said:
Even if they go completely laze-ass on the actual world I wish they'd at least spread out the cities populace, I have a 4ghz quad core and a GTX 460 and going to the AH in Storm drops me to 35 FPS due to the entire server being all in one spot or in an instance.

...Still better than Dalaran? At least you only have (supposedly) half the population in a fairly large city at a time now instead of all of it in a tiny floating! (more rendering) city.

Alex

Dalaran didn't have an auction house and stuff though, and it had portals to all the cities so it still had SOME spread to it. Plus Dalaran had modern visuals for it's time, whereas we're in 2011 now and Stormwind has that awkward 2004 modeling. :(

Alex said:
Dalaran didn't have an auction house and stuff though, and it had portals to all the cities so it still had SOME spread to it. Plus Dalaran had modern visuals for it's time, whereas we're in 2011 now and Stormwind has that awkward 2004 modeling. :(

I play Horde almost exclusively so I don't see Stormwind very often. The new Orgrimmar is pretty awesome, though I (like many people I'm sure) do miss having the main bank roof to run around on. Auction Houses don't bother me though - I usually use(d) one of the ones in the back rather than the front one with Cataclysm - Valley of Wisdom or Valley of Honor.

Thunder Bluff at least used to be really convenient for having bank/auction alts at though since you could run mounted between the auctioneers, the mail box, and the guild bank. Still had to go inside for the regular bank though. Undercity is pretty decent as well still - usually a bit more busy than TB, but still kind of quiet and cozy. Ironforge is the "cozy" city on the Alliance side.

Bisnic

It would help a lot if Blizzard could add portals to high lvl zones in every capital cities. I don't see why they aren't doing this. Would help a lot for the lag and people would just go to their favorite cities instead of being forced to one they might not like.

Alex

Every city should have everything in it or every city should have only a few things in it.

I would immensely bitch about the latter a few years ago, as part of my tirade against MMO time sinks, but they did all of the stuff I wanted them to do and it killed the game world :lol

I actually miss traveling and seeing people going about their business, nowadays.

I don't think it'd be too hard to fix up at least a little, really. Just put in rares that actually drop desirable items and mats, let everyone take a gathering profession and perhaps keep some use of lower level materials and maybe cycle a festival in the cities like BG weekend that has some benefits.

Since they want to do a new type of content, I still think they should try something along the lines of random open-air dungeons, perhaps even certain ones that PvP flag you for PvE servers.

Speaking of PvP servers, I really feel like they should some debuff that prevents flying mounts for a brief spell.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Alex said:
Blizzard puts the carrot before design. That's often a source of their problems, especially with PvP. They have fantastic combat and support systems but they're always too focused on convoluted rewards systems and how to distribute them moreso than letting their game systems speak a little more for themselves.

I really think PvP in WoW could be such a big deal, way bigger than it is now, especially in drawing in new and returning customers if they'd just clean it up. Make a fun Horde vs Alliance expansion, shake it all up and do some of unique work on PvP and new types of PvE.

(although I'm still to the point where I'd rather see factions removed)

i can definitely see what you're saying. i think they should take a more "starcraft 2" approach to how they deal with pvp. allow for unlimited arena teams based on who you're teamed with, have random leagues as well as comp leagues.

a really cool thing that could work is some sort of persistent pvp that is actually the whole world, similar to tb and wintergrasp.

also, i think that once wow gets to the point of losing popularity they'll combine the alliance and horde under one army or whatever... there's a lot of things to do when they downsize that would still make sense content-wise

Alucrid

Banned
Anyone else find it annoying how they now allow letters with tildes and dots and shit? I can't type /who anymore on the majority of the population.

Also is the best way for honor to keep grinding BGs? I have no clue what's going on in most of the big ones, especially the wotlk one with the docks and air ships and shit. I just protect the glaives and whatnot and follow others around lol. They should totally make arena give you some honor once you hit the cap.

Alex

Why you gotta hate on S鶵é®☼±µ, man? Just because Sepheroth and 15 of it's variants were taken doesn't mean he shouldn't get respect.

Alucrid

Banned
Alex said:
Why you gotta hate on S鶵é®☼±µ, man? Just because Sepheroth and 15 of it's variants were taken doesn't mean he shouldn't get respect.

Honestly had no clue what that said until I read on further.

Just bought the Extreme-Impact Hole Puncher. Feels less powerful than the ZG bow. :( I can only hope that the FL BoE drops soon...or that I teleport three weeks into the future for the Conquest bow.

Hope we down a boss in FL so that I can start farming trash cause I'm out 10k now.

Alex said:
I think i almost got myself banned on the wow forums once complaining about how I hated that stormwind was the major city chosen to have everything. I miss ironforge, but there's no point in putting a hearthstone there, or even visiting the area. I'd rather go back to Shattrath or Dalaran with portals everywhere, personally. Stormwind is not the place to have everyone standing around with the the mass of buildings and narrow roadways everywhere. Such a horrible idea.

EDIT: On a side note, I resubscribed. I was using a free 7 day pass or something and when I logged on today it was over. Oh well. Still trying to get all the heirloom gear so I can screw around leveling new toons.

TheYanger

Mairu said:
I don't even see the point. The second tank does almost nothing.

Reduces the odds of wiping drastically, and changes healing into something you can actually mess up instead of basically RNGing through. Commonly people throw either 2 tanks, or extra healers at the task. 2 tanks seems better, at least they do another 10k dps or so.

ch0mp

We started out with 2 tanks.. and hit the enrage timer. Got him on our second attempt with one tank, and only because one guy messed up the crystal.

Mairu

ch0mp said:
We started out with 2 tanks.. and hit the enrage timer. Got him on our second attempt with one tank, and only because one guy messed up the crystal.
In my experience with the fight so far as the second tank it seems like a massive waste of a raid spot. It makes me extremely frustrated how little a second tank adds to that fight.

I hear the fight is infinitely more easier on 10man though, but that's how it goes in a 25man guild I guess :p. Hopefully we'll kill it tomorrow
while I'm sitting outside the instance twiddling my thumbs

mclem

Mairu said:
In my experience with the fight so far as the second tank it seems like a massive waste of a raid spot. It makes me extremely frustrated how little a second tank adds to that fight.

This is something Blizzard have often had difficulty with; finding uses for extra tanks in fights. I'm reminded of Putricide, which was fun for the first tank, awesome for the second (abom duty!), and dull as ditchwater for the third, who had literally nothing to do until the final phase.

It doesn't help that I'm useless at every part of the game *but* tanking, and don't really have time to learn another playstyle, so in single-tank fights, it pretty much has to be me doing it; fortunately our other tanks are viable DPSers if they respec, but it does leave me feeling vaguely guilty.

TheYanger

Shrug, I offtank it for us and while I wouldn't call it a 'fun' job, I think the value it adds is immediately apparant. Don't be surprised if you sit out and watch the MT die repeatedly to decimations, not to mention the much stronger melee hits he'll be taking later in the fight.

Mairu

TheYanger said:
Shrug, I offtank it for us and while I wouldn't call it a 'fun' job, I think the value it adds is immediately apparant. Don't be surprised if you sit out and watch the MT die repeatedly to decimations, not to mention the much stronger melee hits he'll be taking later in the fight.
It is the most boring fight I have ever done in this game. The healers found it easier if I picked it up during decimation after the MT takes one hit from it to reduce chance of me dying, and it's just waiting around for Decimations then staring at a focus bar to see when he stops dodging/parrying. This is my least favorite fight right now :|

Top Bottom