• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Mairu

TheYanger said:
how can anyone hate anything more than Rhyolith?
This isn't computing for me.
Rhyolith is dumb but at least something actually happens in the fight and I don't just stand in one spot waiting for something that might not happen :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
TheYanger said:
how can anyone hate anything more than Rhyolith?
This isn't computing for me.

do you hate rhyolith cause tanks don't need to tank a boss or something? i think its an interesting fight fwiw.

TheYanger

Because it's mechanically awful?
The idea of steering the boss is interesting, the reality of the mechanics is that they're unwieldy, seemingly random at times, and it's an incredibly frustrating fight because of it. Blizz realized it partway through PTR I'm sure but it was too late to do much about it, the steering mechanics changed multiple times per day EVERY time they tested the boss. It's still only really doable because it's JUST forgiving enough to make up for how stupidly inconsistent it is. The theory of 'dps leg to turn' sounds awesome and simple. The game doesn't work that way, however.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheYanger said:
The idea of steering the boss is interesting, the reality of the mechanics is that they're unwieldy, seemingly random at times, and it's an incredibly frustrating fight because of it. Blizz realized it partway through PTR I'm sure but it was too late to do much about it, the steering mechanics changed multiple times per day EVERY time they tested the boss. It's still only really doable because it's JUST forgiving enough to make up for how stupidly inconsistent it is. The theory of 'dps leg to turn' sounds awesome and simple. The game doesn't work that way, however.

It does for us.

TheYanger said:
Oh so you have people buffing their dps at the expense of the raid?

Damns another elitist post.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Heroic Shannox 10 man was harder than I thought it would be. We ended up having hunters kite Rageface away to reset his debuffs since the crystal prison traps were a pain to coordinate and our Riplimb tank sucked and needed them all the time.

Aesthet1c

Man it's depressing to see you guys talking about heroic fights. My guild has only been able to down Shannox. He was relatively easy for us but we aren't even making a dent in both Rhyolith and Beth'tilac, and that's after multiple nights of wiping for hours on each.

Does anybody have any tips for spreading dps on Beth'tilac? Like a kill order or priority list. It seems like no matter how we try it, we get over run downstairs, even with all 5 dps staying down (10 man), we still get over run.

RedGamer

Neo Member
How long does it take to get from one tier of content to the next in Cataclysm?

I'm gonna be buying Cataclysm soon. Can you dive into Heroics at 85 or do you need to do normals? About how many normals?

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Aesthet1c said:
Man it's depressing to see you guys talking about heroic fights. My guild has only been able to down Shannox. He was relatively easy for us but we aren't even making a dent in both Rhyolith and Beth'tilac, and that's after multiple nights of wiping for hours on each.

Does anybody have any tips for spreading dps on Beth'tilac? Like a kill order or priority list. It seems like no matter how we try it, we get over run downstairs, even with all 5 dps staying down (10 man), we still get over run.
We have a hunter trap and AOE the spiderlings, sometimes he'll call out for help on the AOE if he needs it. The top priority should be killing every spinner, then move onto the drone. People like to ignore the spinners as soon as the drone comes up, thats probably why you are getting overrun.

Aesthet1c

dave is ok said:
We have a hunter trap and AOE the spiderlings, sometimes he'll call out for help on the AOE if he needs it. The top priority should be killing every spinner, then move onto the drone. People like to ignore the spinners as soon as the drone comes up, thats probably why you are getting overrun.
This is what we do as well, it my just be a case of our dps being bad players. Our shadow priest helps with spiderlings because our hunter can only do like 10k dps on the spiderlings which doesn't kill them fast enough. We have tried killing spinners first, but then the drones don't die in time. We have tried ignoring the spinners but our raid damage is just too much. I guess our dps just needs to up their game a bit...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Aesthet1c said:
This is what we do as well, it my just be a case of our dps being bad players. Our shadow priest helps with spiderlings because our hunter can only do like 10k dps on the spiderlings which doesn't kill them fast enough. We have tried killing spinners first, but then the drones don't die in time. We have tried ignoring the spinners but our raid damage is just too much. I guess our dps just needs to up their game a bit...
Yeah, it's a basically a balancing act of coordinating enough dps to finish off the spinners while still getting the drone down in a reasonable amount of time - while someone else keeps it from healing by AOEing and slowing the spiderlings.

Alucrid

Banned
RedGamer said:
How long does it take to get from one tier of content to the next in Cataclysm?

I'm gonna be buying Cataclysm soon. Can you dive into Heroics at 85 or do you need to do normals? About how many normals?

You might need to do normals. Being able to do Heroics depends on your item level. You can buy BoEs on the AH to completely skip the normal modes if you want to, however that would cost a bit of gold and would rob you of knowing the basics of the fights for heroic mode.

For 10 man normal is it generally agreed that Shannox is easier then Beth?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
Beth is the easiest once you figured out your DPS balance IMO. Shannox has the tanks running around and Rhy has the gimmick.

It seems like everyone learned Shannox first because DPS balance is straight forward, no gimmick like steering, and the tanks are they key. Most experienced tanks can learn their strat easily.

This week we wiped on Beth once because a different healer that went up top fell, one shotted Rhy, and wiped on Shannox three times because the tanks messed up for various reasons.

While off-topic as it may be for this thread, (and I don't know if this has been posted before or talked about) I was talking with my bro about some of the music we like in video games and this one always comes up for me. I just love the chello and I remember hearing this song for the first time back in the WotLK beta.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyInx0ldfo

This is definitely my favorite piece in all of the WoW music there is out there.
Whats yours? Did I just show you something you never heard of because you always play with your own music pumping? WoW's music catalog is one of the best out there and if you have never taken the opportunity to listen to it a bit next time your in a zone for the first time turn you music off and turn the game music up. You might be glad you did.

ItAintEasy said:
While off-topic as it may be for this thread, (and I don't know if this has been posted before or talked about) I was talking with my bro about some of the music we like in video games and this one always comes up for me. I just love the chello and I remember hearing this song for the first time back in the WotLK beta.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpyInx0ldfo

This is definitely my favorite piece in all of the WoW music there is out there.
Whats yours? Did I just show you something you never heard of because you always play with your own music pumping? WoW's music catalog is one of the best out there and if you have never taken the opportunity to listen to it a bit next time your in a zone for the first time turn you music off and turn the game music up. You might be glad you did.

That Grizzly Hills piece you linked is definitely a favorite of mine. A lot of the Northrend stuff is good, though Icecrown's music definitely became super obnoxious with the booming, especially since you spend so much time in that zone.

I'd have to browse through all the WoW music though to pick out other pieces that I like. The Vanilla title music and the BC title music are good ones though.

Also, has anyone else gotten phishing emails offering them a Winged Guardian mount saying that they're giving 5000 away for free and you have to put your details in at whatever website? I've gotten a couple now, but they're clearly not real since it starts off with proper grammar and then devolves into broken (likely written by someone in China) English.

Alucrid said:

It's really hard to judge when you outgear normal modes, but to me Beth seems like the easiest fight since Flame Leviathan.

TheYanger said:

Is it really inconsistent or is it people DPSing it when they shouldn't? We were having all kinds of problems yesterday because of AOE on Liquids only clipping one leg.

Alex

Cataclysm pumped in a ton of good music, fantastic music really, it'd be absolutely raved over if it was in a single player game.

But it's not, and that's a flaw with the kind of music it is, it really doesn't hold up well to looping. I am pleased though that Cataclysm has at least gotten us out of the overly atmospheric hums and single chords of the past, but I do wish they'd restrict the orchestral swells for areas more suited to it.

But I grew up on Japanese games with catchy repeating synth pop and rock, so even as down on nostalgia as I am even I'm hardwired to some things!

As far as some of my favorite pieces:

http://youtu.be/1w-lfD5Jngg Feralas Cataclysm

http://youtu.be/URh8ca89olM Arathi Highlands Cataclysm

http://youtu.be/L2q539U8aOg Moonglade Cataclysm

http://youtu.be/YgOJvUBydmA Vashj'ir

http://youtu.be/zqkTiq0K8l0 Sindragosa

http://youtu.be/zqHTwLU40yU Magisters' Terrace

http://youtu.be/vCEa7U4ydIg Alysrazor

http://youtu.be/ZNstdF54ypo Eversong Woods

http://youtu.be/Nu00ywIcW8M Halls of Reflection

Alex

TheYanger said:
http://youtu.be/3wyi3mPJTV0

Best song ever in wow, as far as I'm concerned. say what you want about ToC, but the music is fucking kickass. And this is my favorite of the bunch.

That is also rad, I've never actually heard that being as I stopped as that patch launched, but thanks for posting it.

Alex

While I really like a lot of the music in modern WoW, I'll say right off though, I think the sound effect work is horrible. Absolutely horrible.

So I was all pumped to get a bunch of heirloom gear and then send it over to new toons on a normal server. Then I realized you can't. Dang. I don't think BoA gear should be called BoA gear if you can't send it across servers.

Alex

Deputy Moonman said:
So I was all pumped to get a bunch of heirloom gear and then send it over to new toons on a normal server. Then I realized you can't. Dang. I don't think BoA gear should be called BoA gear if you can't send it across servers.

They've been saying for ages how they wanna fix it, but they don't. They have some awkward priorities for some things. Personally, I'd like to make a Horde character, but the Horde populace on my server sucks. Which means if I want my heirlooms or any gold my choices are to roll into a vastly reduced populace with a mediocre economy and a terrible end game scene or I have to cough up the big bucks for character services.

Server and social stuff is probably my #1 major qualm with WoW currently. It really restricts a lot of how I'd like to play lately, it'd be nice to see some stuff like:

1.) An account-wide chest. I'm sure there are some possible issues with this, but they can be worked around. Mules are an old and annoying concept.

2.) Cross Realm Grouping extended to all game venues (Raiding, BG, RBG, Arena, etc). Take it off the Real ID stuff too, why is that required?

3.) Cross-Realm "Finder" like functionality for Raiding, BG, RBG, Arena, etc. The Guild Finder is a good piece of kit, it's just not something most people will have to use more than maybe once, if at all, extend it to more meaningful areas.

4.) Battlegroup-wide or game-wide auction houses (being in a ghost town with an empty AH is no fun, I've been there before and I pity the people Blizzard has conned into those empty realms with the new player flag)

5.)
dissolve the factions and let players pick their own ideology specifically for PvP, I want to play with my entire server and the War in Warcraft is massively diminished (I realize this is very much my own desire though and will never happen)

Alex said:
Cataclysm pumped in a ton of good music, fantastic music really, it'd be absolutely raved over if it was in a single player game.

I had forgotten about the Vasj'ir music. I must say that theme that is repeated throughout the whole song is excellent and the ominous minor chords throughout the song are awesome at setting the tone for the zone while still making you feel like the area is one that you cant wait to explore. It has a sense of adventure and I love that.

I also agree that the sound effects are sub-par and so is some of the voice acting(most of which is from the original game). The new voice acting is actually pretty good 'cept for Metzer still doing Thrall.

Alex said:
They've been saying for ages how they wanna fix it, but they don't. They have some awkward priorities for some things. Personally, I'd like to make a Horde character, but the Horde populace on my server sucks. Which means if I want my heirlooms or any gold my choices are to roll into a vastly reduced populace with a mediocre economy and a terrible end game scene or I have to cough up the big bucks for character services.

Server and social stuff is probably my #1 major qualm with WoW currently. It really restricts a lot of how I'd like to play lately, it'd be nice to see some stuff like:

1.) An account-wide chest. I'm sure there are some possible issues with this, but they can be worked around. Mules are an old and annoying concept.

2.) Cross Realm Grouping extended to all game venues (Raiding, BG, RBG, Arena, etc). Take it off the Real ID stuff too, why is that required?

3.) Cross-Realm "Finder" like functionality for Raiding, BG, RBG, Arena, etc. The Guild Finder is a good piece of kit, it's just not something most people will have to use more than maybe once, if at all, extend it to more meaningful areas.

4.) Battlegroup-wide or game-wide auction houses (being in a ghost town with an empty AH is no fun, I've been there before and I pity the people Blizzard has conned into those empty realms with the new player flag)

5.)
dissolve the factions and let players pick their own ideology specifically for PvP, I want to play with my entire server and the War in Warcraft is massively diminished (I realize this is very much my own desire though and will never happen)
After all this time, the fact that it still cost money to switch servers is kind of a bummer. It's one more way for blizzard to make money, but I totally dislike it. I could put all the heirloom gear on one toon and switch him over to another server, but I refuse to pay for it.

And, yes, I like all of your ideas, even number 5. The horde versus alliance thing is kind of old, and a revamped system that puts you against other players based on your own choices/preferences (and not just from choosing between two factions) would be really interesting and new. It would be really crazy if we could attack players of our own faction, but I think it would be kind of cool. Make it so you can't damage players in your own party/raid group. Give various locations all across the realm where players can take them over and gain random bonuses and benefits (like mini-towns for small groups and guilds to fight over). Make people want to attack each other in a more respectable manner, versus tool ganking (as i like to call it) and capping random towers for no reason.

Garryk

Alex said:

I think this would work if they would limit the items that can be put in the chest to heirlooms and maybe gold. I don't think you should be able to move trade goods and loot around since it would screw up the individual server economies.

M.D

Well, I got the battle chest.
I hit level 20 with my druid today but still haven't decided whether to play druid or mage so I haven't activated the key yet

Just to clarify, I already got Burning Crusade installed when I installed the trial right? The BC zones will just open up when I put in the key? no need to install it from the disk or anything, right?

Another question - Can I ignore the whole Night Elf zone and go to other zones that suit my level and level up there? Like, there is no harm in that right? I won't lose anything by doing that? That pretty much what I did with my night elf mage when someone here recommended going to Azshara to see cool quests so I guess it's cool?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
M.D said:
Another question - Can I ignore the whole Night Elf zone and go to other zones that suit my level and level up there? Like, there is no harm in that right? I won't lose anything by doing that? That pretty much what I did with my night elf mage when someone here recommended going to Azshara to see cool quests so I guess it's cool?

I think you're confusing night elves(alliance) and blood elves(horde), since alliance do not have quests in Azshara, but yeah. Any races can leave their starting zone and go do one from another race. Although, i think some very early quests might be exclusive to 1 race. Might as well wait until you are lvl 5 or 6 before leaving your race's starting zone.

M.D

Bisnic said:
I think you're confusing night elves(alliance) and blood elves(horde), since alliance do not have quests in Azshara, but yeah. Any races can leave their starting zone and go do one from another race. Although, i think some very early quests might be exclusive to 1 race. Might as well wait until you are lvl 5 or 6 before leaving your race's starting zone.

I meant Blood Elf

I'm already level 20 with my Night Elf druid so that's why I asked.

I saw this map

I saw you can level in the zone under Stormwind it for 20-25 which is what I need right now

So are there cool quests there? or can you recommend another place? I find the Night Elf zone kind of boring

Bisnic

M.D said:
Yeah I meant Blood Elf

I'm already level 20 with my Night Elf druid so that why I asked I saw this map

I saw you can level in the zone under Stormwind it for 20-25 which is what I need right now

So are there cool quests there? or can you recommend another place? I find the Night Elf zone kind of boring

I can't see imgur pics at work, but i guess you mean Duskwood? Yeah, it's a pretty good and dark zone. It wasn't changed as much as, say Azshara, but its still cool with the undead and worgen theme. Then you have the Stranglethorn Vale jungles to the south, and the Plaguelands to the north after that. All fun zones. In general, i prefer questing in Eastern Kingdoms zones when im Alliance, since Stormwind and Ironforge are both capital cities in the middle of the continent, while Darnassus is stuck in the northwest corner of Kalimdor, which suck a lot when you're in the southern zones. No one wants to do a 15 mins flight from Tanaris to Darnassus.

idlewild_

M.D said:
I meant Blood Elf

I'm already level 20 with my Night Elf druid so that's why I asked.

I saw this map

From my experience having leveled 1-60 a couple times since 4.0, the 20-35 level range is kind of a crapshoot no matter what zones you go to as alliance, in terms of interesting quests/lore/etc. duskwood -> northern stranglethorn is pretty mindless, a lot of 'go here and kill x of these' quests. pretty simple questing and fairly fast leveling. Personally, I'd go to Western Plaguelands as soon as you get to 35, the revamped Plaguelands are, imho, much better than Dustwallow and Thousand Needles, and you definitely want to be on Eastern Kingdoms for 45-60. Tanaris/Ungoro/Silithus (esp. Silithus since nothing has changed,) were painful to go through. The revamped Eastern Kingdoms' zones for 35-60 are pretty awesome; Blasted Lands actually gives quite a bit more experience than the first few zones of Outlands. I would stay in there until 60 if possible, instead of going to Hellfire at 58. I have not tried Felwood or Winterspring since 4.0, but they sucked back in Vanilla :d.

Bisnic

Alucrid said:
This Hyjal Bear Cub is so fucking cute when it sits down. What a cute motherfucking bear. BUY DIS SHIT.

Is it the same model and animations as the free white bear cub companion we got back in 2008 for the WoW anniversary? If so, waste of gold. :)

I forgot, what did we get last year? I remember the Onyxia whelp from 2009, but 2010?

Edit: Wait. If i remember right, we didn't get a companion last year right?

Tamanon

Banned
idlewild_ said:
From my experience having leveled 1-60 a couple times since 4.0, the 20-35 level range is kind of a crapshoot no matter what zones you go to as alliance, in terms of interesting quests/lore/etc. duskwood -> northern stranglethorn is pretty mindless, a lot of 'go here and kill x of these' quests. pretty simple questing and fairly fast leveling. Personally, I'd go to Western Plaguelands as soon as you get to 35, the revamped Plaguelands are, imho, much better than Dustwallow and Thousand Needles, and you definitely want to be on Eastern Kingdoms for 45-60. Tanaris/Ungoro/Silithus (esp. Silithus since nothing has changed,) were painful to go through. The revamped Eastern Kingdoms' zones for 35-60 are pretty awesome; Blasted Lands actually gives quite a bit more experience than the first few zones of Outlands. I would stay in there until 60 if possible, instead of going to Hellfire at 58. I have not tried Felwood or Winterspring since 4.0, but they sucked back in Vanilla :d.

I like Felwood at least since the Sundering, there's nowhere near as much running back and forth. Plus you get to see some cool lore stuff from history.

Garryk

Where's the best place to go after Hillsbrad? I just went to Arathi, but the quests have definitely taken a step back in quality.

Tamanon

Banned
Garryk said:
Where's the best place to go after Hillsbrad? I just went to Arathi, but the quests have definitely taken a step back in quality.

I enjoyed Stonetalon Mountains for that range as a Horde.

Aww Hillsbrad, fond memories of my rogue, and spending far too long ganking people in the early days when World PVP actually happened. The day when you'd raid the cities and crash the server, because the server couldn't cope with the traffic.

Ah, a shame really. I remember the days when Faction Leaders were suppose to offer you fantastic loot and rewards. Oh early WoW you offered so much. To think we waited 5 years for Raid Weapons to finally appear... and this is what we got.

Bisnic

Chriswok said:
To think we waited 5 years for Raid Weapons to finally appear... and this is what we got.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.... raid weapons have been there since the beginning of the game.

Or you mean you wait 5 years for raid weapons to drop from faction leaders? If that's what you mean... other than Wrynn and Garrosh, all the other faction leaders are very easy since there is almost no players around. Their raid loot would pratically be free.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Chriswok said:
Aww Hillsbrad, fond memories of my rogue, and spending far too long ganking people in the early days when World PVP actually happened. The day when you'd raid the cities and crash the server, because the server couldn't cope with the traffic.

Ah, a shame really. I remember the days when Faction Leaders were suppose to offer you fantastic loot and rewards. Oh early WoW you offered so much. To think we waited 5 years for Raid Weapons to finally appear... and this is what we got.
Ah that's interesting, I always wondered why people bothered killing faction leaders before the achievements were implemented.

sykoex said:
Ah that's interesting, I always wondered why people bothered killing faction leaders before the achievements were implemented.

Form of griefing. A decent amount of quests (some lowbie) start/end at faction leaders. And with about a 4 hour respawn time...

Also just a way to assert dominance/power. You know "we were able to infiltrate your city and kill a boss, even while you were there!"

Bisnic said:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say there.... raid weapons have been there since the beginning of the game.

Or you mean you wait 5 years for raid weapons to drop from faction leaders? If that's what you mean... other than Wrynn and Garrosh, all the other faction leaders are very easy since there is almost no players around. Their raid loot would pratically be free.

I meant siege weapons, sorry, in PVP.

Bisnic

Chriswok said:
I meant siege weapons, sorry, in PVP.

You mean like the catapults and other vehicules we have in battlegrounds & PVP zones?

Sorry, this is confusing to me lol.

Bisnic said:
You mean like the catapults and other vehicules we have in battlegrounds & PVP zones?

Sorry, this is confusing to me lol.

Yeah in Battlegrounds, they had been promised for years, I think it just got to the point where you were expecting them to be amazing. So it was probably always going to be a bit flat when they appeared.

Its probably not, however, I'm sure you can think of creative ways to transfer the ownership of the account. Say you accidentally forgot you had two accounts and you wanted them merged together or something.

Alex

I see digital items and accounts (including Battle.net accounts) traded fairly frequently in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. It's not against the law, just Blizzard's ToS, whom no one gives a shit about.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
I see digital items and accounts (including Battle.net accounts) traded fairly frequently in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. It's not against the law, just Blizzard's ToS, whom no one gives a shit about.
Are you talking about mounts, game cards, pets? Yeah.. that's that's fraudulently. People get the code, have the mount for a day, and it gets removed.

Top Bottom