• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Acerac

Banned
TheYanger said:
http://youtu.be/3wyi3mPJTV0

Best song ever in wow, as far as I'm concerned. say what you want about ToC, but the music is fucking kickass. And this is my favorite of the bunch.
4 times a week and once per day per toon.

STILL AWESOME.

Ugh. The opening speech for the encounters play in my head when I hear this song.

*Edit*

Fucking flesh trombone. KILL THE DAMNED PORTALS. I DON'T CARE IF WE'RE DOING NORMAL I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SISTER.

Chriswok said:
Yeah in Battlegrounds, they had been promised for years, I think it just got to the point where you were expecting them to be amazing. So it was probably always going to be a bit flat when they appeared.

There were still flying vehicles on the BOX, the BOX of WotLK. And yet here we are, an expansion later without them.

T_T

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Tamanon said:
You guys are going to wake up Jrex and his Dance Studio.

tumblr_ll38g4xBjg1qbga2ro1_400.gif

Alex said:
Cataclysm pumped in a ton of good music, fantastic music really, it'd be absolutely raved over if it was in a single player game.

But it's not, and that's a flaw with the kind of music it is, it really doesn't hold up well to looping. I am pleased though that Cataclysm has at least gotten us out of the overly atmospheric hums and single chords of the past, but I do wish they'd restrict the orchestral swells for areas more suited to it.

But I grew up on Japanese games with catchy repeating synth pop and rock, so even as down on nostalgia as I am even I'm hardwired to some things!

As far as some of my favorite pieces:
My favorite piece from Cataclysm is the redone Elwynn Forest music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7p-hqRz7cw

Dresden

blue post said:
The other part of the reason is that Battlegrounds (and Arena maps, for that matter) require a higher degree of polish than a PvE map does. If a bit of geometry causes you to hang up, or blocks line of sight in a dungeon or raid, then in the majority of circumstances you can probably just work around it until it's fixed. If the same flaw exists in a bg or arena map, then that imperfection might be exploited for an unfair advantage, which runs contrary to the spirit of fair competition we want in that kind of PvP. We know that a lot of the PvP community is ultimately more interested in having perfectly balanced and bug-free maps to play on, than they necessarily are in having new maps to play on.
Meanwhile the pillars still move in RoV, Dalaran continues to exist, and they haven't retooled Ruins of Lordaeron over three expansions. So full of shit.

Bisnic

Alucrid said:
I bought my valor bracers for 9k and now I'm down to almost no money. Anyone have any tips for money making?

Make profession alts, do dailies, sell gathering mats you dont need. With just that, i probably have 100k gold combined with all my characters since that if i need some enchants, gems, glyphs, pants enhancements, belt sockets, truegolds, volatiles, whatever, i can just get them freely with just a little quick farming.

I think i only use my gold for reforging, resetting my talents, buying some inferno rubies when i dont feel like prospecting ores, and the rare BOE epics when theyre not sold for 30k gold lol.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
I bought my valor bracers for 9k and now I'm down to almost no money. Anyone have any tips for money making?
Making yourself struggle financially because of one armor slot was a horrible idea.

I too have profession alts. I'll run heroics on one for a few weeks for the bracers. Right now I don't even care about them and I have 50k.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have like 300k gold.

just run old instances and loot everything, sell the grays, and sell everything else on the AH.

i get like 150g just from the loot and grays from a heroic bc run. then all the money from auctions probably puts me at like 200 or 300g from that run.

also, dailies help. i make like 250g a day on the firelands dailies.

It's probably already been brought up in here, but Blizzard confirmed WoW is coming to Brazil this year which partially confirms that infamous Blizzard release calendar that leaked. Not that they can't change/delay anything that was on there since the time they drew it up.

For example I have a hard time believing noth Diablo III and Heart of the Swarm will make it out this fall. If Diablo III does, then Heart of the Swarm won't. I also have an extremely hard time believing that Blizzard can make Cataclysm last until Fall 2013 when the next expansion is planned. I think they need to get something out Fall 2012 on the WoW front for sure.

Bisnic

ToyMachine228 said:
It's probably already been brought up in here, but Blizzard confirmed WoW is coming to Brazil this year which partially confirms that infamous Blizzard release calendar that leaked. Not that they can't change/delay anything that was on there since the time they drew it up.

For example I have a hard time believing noth Diablo III and Heart of the Swarm will make it out this fall. If Diablo III does, then Heart of the Swarm won't. I also have an extremely hard time believing that Blizzard can make Cataclysm last until Fall 2013 when the next expansion is planned. I think they need to get something out Fall 2012 on the WoW front for sure.

I think you got WoW X4 and X5 confused. That chart says the next expansion will be out in the 2nd quarter of 2012, which is hard to believe honestly.

Jrmint

Can you guys help me out with Fire Mage questions.

Just got 69 and have been playing frost the whole way, but I dual specced now that I have the top talent.

I have my spec figured out but what is the best priority system or rotation for leveling as a fire spec. I have so many fire spells and just really not sure what to use and when. Thanks guys.

Bisnic

Jrmint said:
Can you guys help me out with Fire Mage questions.

Just got 69 and have been playing frost the whole way, but I dual specced now that I have the top talent.

I have my spec figured out but what is the best priority system or rotation for leveling as a fire spec. I have so many fire spells and just really not sure what to use and when. Thanks guys.

Keep Living bomb up. Use Scorch once for the extra 5% crit. Spam Fireball and use Pyroblast when you get the proc for an instant one. Use Dragon Breath if something gets too close. Repeat until dead.

But since you're lvling, when you're questing i guess it's better to start with a Fireball or Pyroblast before the mob start chasing you because of Living Bomb's dot.

Bisnic said:
I think you got WoW X4 and X5 confused. That chart says the next expansion will be out in the 2nd quarter of 2012, which is hard to believe honestly.

Well like I said plans have surely changed since this leaked. Things get delayed etc. Seems like Holiday 2012 would be the time to launch the next WoW expansion. That said, they are aiming for "smaller" more frequent expansions they've said so you never know.

One thing I do know is that Cataclysm hasn't been much of a success and the longer they go without another expansion I think the more the WoW brand drops off. Which was inevitable it had to happen at some point but the combination of blowing their load with Wrath of the Lich King, following it up with a pretty unexciting expansion, and then taking 7 months to put out any major content for that expansion...I think it's in the process. Launch Diablo III and Titan and I think WoW definitely falls into the background. Unless they pull out some stops for the next expansion.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Well like I said plans have surely changed since this leaked. Things get delayed etc. Seems like Holiday 2012 would be the time to launch the next WoW expansion. That said, they are aiming for "smaller" more frequent expansions they've said so you never know.

One thing I do know is that Cataclysm hasn't been much of a success and the longer they go without another expansion I think the more the WoW brand drops off. Which was inevitable it had to happen at some point but the combination of blowing their load with Wrath of the Lich King, following it up with a pretty unexciting expansion, and then taking 7 months to put out any major content for that expansion...I think it's in the process. Launch Diablo III and Titan and I think WoW definitely falls into the background. Unless they pull out some stops for the next expansion.
They were talking about the in-between expansion free content patches.

We want more frequent, slightly smaller updates to the game so that content keeps coming. Since Firelands isn't quite ready yet, we've made the decision not to hold back the other 4.1 patch content for it.

Not many were happy with the 4.1 content or the time it took it and 4.2 to come out with, so they kind of failed.

We got Uludar sooner in wotlk than Firelands in Cataclysm. And there was more content from to get-go.

They say they want quality of quantity when they refer to the new bosses in Firelands, but the first three are hella easy and the battle mechanics really aren't that impressive IMO.

M.D

Thanks Bisnic and idlewild_
Duskwood is creepy as hell

I was planning to activate my account late last night but I'm having internet connection problem so I need to wait till tomorrow morning till it solved and I can start playing properly

Weekend wasted :(

Can someone explain what do people mean when they talk about "activating dots" or something like that?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
M.D said:
Thanks Bisnic and idlewild_
Duskwood is creepy as hell

I was planning to activate my account late last night but I'm having internet connection problem so I need to wait till tomorrow morning till it solved and I can start playing properly

Weekend wasted :(

Can someone explain what do people mean when they talk about "activating dots" or something like that?
I never heard a person say "activating dots".

A dot is http://www.wowpedia.org/Damage_over_Time as apposed to a spell or melee strike that only does damage from the initial hit. Tho, it's not impossible for a casted spell or melee strike to apply a dot depending upon the class/spec.

If you're still playing a druid Moonfire applies a dot. "Burns the enemy for 197 to 239 Arcane damage and then an additional (93 * 6) Arcane damage over 12 sec."

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
We got Uludar sooner in wotlk than Firelands in Cataclysm. And there was more content from to get-go.

Correct me if im wrong, but the Ulduar patch only had a raid and that's it. While Firelands had a raid and a new zone and a bunch of dailies with pets/mounts/gear/achievements to come with it. And lets not forget the troll heroics we got before that, old updated instances or not, it was something added.

Sure Ulduar was bigger than Firelands, and if you only count the number of raiding bosses as "new content", then sure... the Ulduar patch of WOTLK had more stuff than Firelands.

DeathNote said:
They say they want quality of quantity when they refer to the new bosses in Firelands, but the first three are hella easy and the battle mechanics really aren't that impressive IMO.

As far as I'm concerned, Blizzard peaked with their encounter design in Ulduar and Icecrown Citadel. Hell, even Naxxramas at 80 was more interesting than any of the content in Cataclysm in my opinion.

And Bisnic, you're right that Ulduar didn't add new zones. I don't remember if it added new quests or not, but really, who cares? It took them 7 months to put together some new daily quests? It took them 7 months to put together a generic mountain range instance and throw some enemies inside it? And no one really seems to be pleased with the encounters either. Not to mention that Firelands was supposed to be in the game at launch. And then 4.1...And then 7 months after launch it finally comes out and isn't all that interesting.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Bisnic said:
Correct me if im wrong, but the Ulduar patch only had a raid and that's it. While Firelands had a raid and a new zone and a bunch of dailies with pets/mounts/gear/achievements to come with it. And lets not forget the troll heroics we got before that, old updated instances or not, it was something added.

Sure Ulduar was bigger than Firelands, and if you only count the number of raiding bosses as "new content", then sure... the Ulduar patch of WOTLK had more stuff than Firelands.
You could do Argent Torunment stuff and work for the Argent Hyppogrph in 3.1. The firelands mount is merely a firery version of it!

How would I forget the troll dungeons when I specifically mentioned 4.1 in my post and that's the highlight of that patch?

Bisnic said:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_3.1

We also saw the addition of the early Argent Tournament dailies (when the structure was still under construction) as well as many, many more class and talent changes. Also included was the turtle mount you could fish up from Northrend pools among a variety of other changes.

WoW battle mechanics went out of the window after people complained that Molten Core and BWL were too complex. Even though we grinded the hell out of those instances back in Vanilla WoW, they were some of the more interesting ones. You had to think, classes had a role to play for different bosses. It wasn't just a simple tank, spank and interrupt affair that you have at the moment.

Original ZG was probably my favourite instance back in Vanilla, simply because the bosses were different.

Tamanon

Banned
BWL maybe, but Molten Core had maybe 2 fights that really required more coordination than "Slam on your decursive button every 20 seconds until it's done"

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Chriswok said:
WoW battle mechanics went out of the window after people complained that Molten Core and BWL were too complex. Even though we grinded the hell out of those instances back in Vanilla WoW, they were some of the more interesting ones. You had to think, classes had a role to play for different bosses. It wasn't just a simple tank, spank and interrupt affair that you have at the moment.

Original ZG was probably my favourite instance back in Vanilla, simply because the bosses were different.
Ha, I started looking for some vids for nostalgia and found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cPquVkRD7g
Live and active level 60 Twink Guild killing Nef.

Too bad they can't do Naxx.

This is the GM: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-shatar/Cleris/simple
35 Nef kills and he got AQ loot last night.

I wonder what it's like with all the class changes.

No DK's exist in the guild. Not even an alt.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't even understand the point of a level 60 guild now. Even if you're just doing it to hit old content, it's nothing like it was previously. The different skills and tricks available to each class even at 60 is astounding compared to the old days.

I mean, you can actually have a druid at 60 that's not just a healer, or a Paladin for that matter!

DeathNote said:

That just must be kind of awkward without having level 60 Onyxia available. And some classes being almost completely redesigned, even just since Cataclysm (Paladins + Holy Power).

dc89

Alucrid said:

Sell arena boosts to 2200 rating if your into pvp and can get it easy.

I sell them for 40-50k a pop.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dc89 said:

Are people paying that much for 2 pieces and a weapon? Seems like they should and would have to wait at least a few more weeks to upgrade all 6 pieces and a weapon.

Jrmint

DeathNote said:

Heh that is really cool. I would love to do a level 70 version of that. If I found a Level 70 capped BC raiding guild I'd make a toon and join that in an instant.

dc89

DeathNote said:
Are people paying that much for 2 pieces and a weapon? Seems like they should and would have to wait at least a few more weeks to upgrade all 6 pieces and a weapon.

Yeah lol, its crazy how much people will pay.

You'd be astonished by how much people will pay for gladiator/r1.

Dresden

DeathNote said:
Well, they get there and just sit on the rating while they RBG for points.

NRK (Norwegian national television) just ran a segment on how the Oslo mass murderer played WoW, and showed a bunch of random footage along with a psychiatrist rambling on how players express joy at killing characters in the game.

His profile is not available on battle.net but he was in a fairly active guild on Silvermoon (EU). Guess they aren't feeling too well right now.

TheYanger

Jrmint said:
Heh that is really cool. I would love to do a level 70 version of that. If I found a Level 70 capped BC raiding guild I'd make a toon and join that in an instant.

There are plenty I'm sure, but BC is even worse than vanilla in that regard, since not only are classes radically different today but all BC content was nerfed by a straight 30% when 3.0 came out. I wouldn't be surprised if you could like 10 man the content at level 70 in 70 gear with good players.

Jrmint

I don't think it'd be that extreme. And people still say Sunwell was up there with the most difficult raiding content ever created. 30% makes it easier, but not a complete faceroll, especially with the new class mechanics you mention.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Bisnic said:

wow x4 will definitely be in Q4 of next year if they've got an x5 coming out in a couple years from then. they need to delay as long as possible.

TheYanger

Jrmint said:
I don't think it'd be that extreme. And people still say Sunwell was up there with the most difficult raiding content ever created. 30% makes it easier, but not a complete faceroll, especially with the new class mechanics you mention.

No, it IS extreme faceroll. And new class mechanics have almost always universally increased dps and survivability. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I did Sunwell pre-3.0, post 3.0, and at higher levels. There's no way it's even remotely the same.

I'd like to see how hard it would be for that guild to actually do Naxx 40 for instance, I wish it were still in. but those two zones are definitely the hardest the game has ever seen and I imagine both would be a complete joke with current game mechanics.

Acerac

Banned
dc89 said:

Perfectly reasonable idea for somebody who seems to be relatively inexperienced in the game!

Alex

Naxx Classic was challenging for sure, the trash in Naxx Classic was significantly harder than anything in the WOTLK remake. Still, in my opinion a lot of the challenging bosses from classic and BC were due to the type of overtuning (with occasional crippling bugs) and farming and class stacking they required. Most of our downtime in that place was due to ridiculous recruitment requirements than anything else.

WoW's modern combat and encounter design is orders of magnitude better and to go off on a tangent, part of the reason why competitors fail and will keep failing without financial backing equal to a small country. Despite a lot of my problems with WoW it can't be ignored how the combat and boss design and a few other core tidbits just tower over everything in the genre. It used to be about general polish, but that's improved on the whole, nowadays it's about competing in the extremely expensive and difficult to maintain end game and PvP.

I'd really like to see a shift to more worldly MMOs, away from the end-game heavy model of today (maybe I just miss some of the ideals of classic UO from time to time!) but publishers seem more interested to commit ritual suicide at Blizzard's feet as even they struggle to maintain their own style of design at times.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
dc89 said:
Just suggesting dont have to be good at the game if he plays dk :(
Might be the least skilled melee, but melee in general in PVP takes hotkeys and good movement control to be good. At that point, you should be good at other melee classes as well TBH. Hotkeys are the largest learning curve.

Edit: Not to imply that good range don't use hotkeys. It's just that chasing a moving target to do damage can get frustrating and inherently increases skill.

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
Might be the least skilled melee, but melee in general in PVP takes hotkeys and good movement control to be good. At that point, you should be good at other melee classes as well TBH. Hotkeys are the largest learning curve.

I need to get a mouse to hotkey stuff to it. Probably disengage and maybe traps. Anyone have any recs? Also is the 'gaf guild' a raiding guild? Like, FL content?

Also, anyone else main hunters here?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Alucrid said:
I need to get a mouse to hotkey stuff to it. Probably disengage and maybe traps. Anyone have any recs?
Razer Naga times a million. Completely changes how you play MMOs.

There is no GAF guild. Going to Area 52 is just a happenstance of some people that really wanted a GAF guild, but just ended up in In Defense of the Genre. Every time I log on my character on there, no one is online. I haven't been online at the same time as anyone in that guild in two months.

There is no organization in GAF WoW players. There hasn't been since early BC.

dc89

DeathNote said:

Edit: Not to imply that good range don't use hotkeys. It's just that chasing a moving target to do damage can get frustrating and inherently increases skill.

Yeah of course im not saying you can just pick up and play dk at high rating, i just hate them from being trained on my priest. D:

A very good dk can put out some serious dmg:

wowscrnshot071911002414.jpg

Thats our 5s team playing vs the highest rated team in the world in 3s (the mage/lock/shaman), he constantly puts out double the other teams dmg in each game.

Top Bottom