• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alex

Combat mechanics between specs in this game are a bit awkward at times.

Some specs have insanely clunky AoE whereas some have one button carpet bombs. Some have enormous ramp up times, others are full power the moment combat begins. They homogenize the wrong shit, instead of tooling around with buffs (that honestly dont need to exist anymore beyond personal and activated) and other fare, they should work on the risk/reward of combat mechanics. It'd probably play out nicely in producing some more niches as well.

M.D

I've reached level 20 with my shaman

I'm liking this class a bit more but still I dunno..
I'll order the game tomorrow and in the meantime I'll open up a druid just to see how it is

Do you guys recommend buying the game + expansions all at once? Do I get a 1 month code with each game?

kunu

Well, I started this game back in December with a buddy who's been playing for a long time and finally, after a few periods of on and off playing, I'm about to hit 85 as a human hunter. I can't say how much I've enjoyed this game, from reading up on the lore to the awesome questlines and the spectacular zones. I'm a bit scared of reaching endgame, though. How hard is it for someone who enjoys PvE (I love running dungeons) to play endgame content, like raids, with a demanding schedule? (school, work, etc.) I have a raiding guild but they're not super hardcore, although it can be hard to tell.

kunu said:
Well, I started this game back in December with a buddy who's been playing for a long time and finally, after a few periods of on and off playing, I'm about to hit 85 as a human hunter. I can't say how much I've enjoyed this game, from reading up on the lore to the awesome questlines and the spectacular zones. I'm a bit scared of reaching endgame, though. How hard is it for someone who enjoys PvE (I love running dungeons) to play endgame content, like raids, with a demanding schedule? (school, work, etc.) I have a raiding guild but they're not super hardcore, although it can be hard to tell.

As for time constraints, in my experience, it wasn't too demanding. My guild was probably around 4th or 5th in Horde progression last tier (12/12, 4/13) and is 4/7 now (Gorgonnash lol), and we raided 3 nights a week at about 3-4 hours a pop.

Check your realm's section on the main forums. There are usually recruitment threads for guilds there, each listing their schedule. That is, unless, your current guild fits.

In terms of actually playing and doing well in raids, that's all on you. Get DBM, watch a few videos, and you should be golden. I was pretty apprehensive when I first started to raid, but realized quickly that it wasn't that big of a deal.

kunu said:

Just find a guild that raids around your schedule. I only do it two nights a week, for instance.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
M.D said:
I've reached level 20 with my shaman

I'm liking this class a bit more but still I dunno..
I'll order the game tomorrow and in the meantime I'll open up a druid just to see how it is

Do you guys recommend buying the game + expansions all at once? Do I get a 1 month code with each game?

I think you can buy some battle chest that include WoW + the Burning Crusade, but you'll have to pay for the other 2 seperatly. But they aren't necessary for lvl 1 to 60, so might as well buy them later if you're not 100% convinced you'll play until you reach lvl 85.

And no, only the original game have a free month, expansions do not.

Alex

24mz1bm.png

2m5cbk2.png

For how trivial they are, Mylune's quests crack me up. Their best characters are always the warped trivial ones.

Ugh, fuck this daily grind garbage.

Agree, the quests are fun a couple of times, after that it becomes rather tedious. I've never seen the appeal of daily quests, really, and as such I typically ignore them when I can.

They tend to do some very cool things with the setting and progression at least but that doesn't change the fact that they're designed so that you see the story, have some fun with the scripting/unique gameplay bit and move on, it's not a very fun to repeat venue.

It's funny to punt turtles or cool to have your party of druids for a bit, but after that you're just going through the motions, not to mention you are in for a world of hurt if you have more than one character.

M.D

Bisnic said:
I think you can buy some battle chest that include WoW + the Burning Crusade, but you'll have to pay for the other 2 seperatly. But they aren't necessary for lvl 1 to 60, so might as well buy them later if you're not 100% convinced you'll play until you reach lvl 85.

And no, only the original game have a free month, expansions do not.

I've just checked I can buy all the games for 117-130$

I think I'll buy them all at once

Anyways I just opened a Night Elf Druid... if I understand correctly if you go with balance you get a bear form? if you go with feral you get a cat's form?

I was so expecting to get my cat form :(
Who wants to be a bear anyway?

I just keep reading that all the choices I want to make are bad.. like balance druids are not as good as feral or whatever

Maybe I should stick with mage for now

Alex

Balance is Magical DPS, you get a Moonkin form, which is an Owl.

Feral is physical DPS (cat) and tanking (bear)

Resto is healing and just stays in the caster form (it used to be perpetual tree form, still not sure why they changed it).

I just keep reading that all the choices I want to make are bad..

You can't really make bad choices in this game, it's remarkably well balanced for an MMO (although it took 6 years to get there). Keep in might when people talk about good and bad they're talking about the VERY tippy top of end game played at the most skillful level and even then the difference between best and the worst is like...5%, varies on the encounter and shifts often

Just play what you think is fun. If you aren't sure just pick a hybrid like your Druid you seem to want. You can always swap, there's no dead-ends in the game, you can always just respec.

Alucrid

Banned
Alex said:
24mz1bm.png

2m5cbk2.png

For how trivial they are, Mylune's quests crack me up. Their best characters are always the warped trivial ones.

Agree, the quests are fun a couple of times, after that it becomes rather tedious. I've never seen the appeal of daily quests, really, and as such I typically ignore them when I can.

They tend to do some very cool things with the setting and progression at least but that doesn't change the fact that they're designed so that you see the story, have some fun with the scripting/unique gameplay bit and move on, it's not a very fun to repeat venue.

It's funny to punt turtles or cool to have your party of druids for a bit, but after that you're just going through the motions, not to mention you are in for a world of hurt if you have more than one character.

The only reason to do dailies is because of the rep/rewards they give you. Fishing dailies to get the blue rods and for skill ups, tb ones for commendations, netherwing ones from the drakes, etc. Still, these molten front ones are just getting so old. At least up the mark amount or something when you get to the vendors.

Bisnic

Alex said:

I do these dailies on 2 characters everyday, and yeah it is tedious. I do them on my main for the rewards and achievements, and on my BS alt for the recipes, but it still is long and tedious. Get 150 marks, get another 150 marks, then get 125 marks, and another 125 AND another 125. Sheesh. Good thing you get around 25 marks a day, so they get done fast, but still...

I just hope there isn't more of these after that.

suzu

M.D said:
I just keep reading that all the choices I want to make are bad.. like balance druids are not as good as feral or whatever

There's no really "bad" choice. Just choose something you like. Although Shaman Elemental spec kinda sucks in comparison to other classes.

Also every class can have 2 separate talent specs at level 30+ (and you can pay gold to reset them anytime you wish at the trainer). As a druid you can be moonkin (magic dps), cat (melee dps), bear (tank), or a healer (regular form). You just have to carry around different sets of gear for whatever role you want to play.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
M.D said:
I've just checked I can buy all the games for 117-130$

I think I'll buy them all at once

Anyways I just opened a Night Elf Druid... if I understand correctly if you go with balance you get a bear form? if you go with feral you get a cat's form?

I was so expecting to get my cat form :(
Who wants to be a bear anyway?

Balance druid is one of the top DPS in my 10 man raid. So is mage.

It's about what you have fun playing.

Bisnic

DeathNote said:
Balance druid is one of the top DPS in my 10 man raid. So is mage.

It's about what you have fun playing.

That also depend if he wants to look like a big owl chicken hybrid that shoots laser from the sky.

As much as i would like to play balance druid, i just dont like their look.

Alex

Bisnic said:
I do these dailies on 2 characters everyday, and yeah it is tedious. I do them on my main for the rewards and achievements, and on my BS alt for the recipes, but it still is long and tedious. Get 150 marks, get another 150 marks, then get 125 marks, and another 125 AND another 125. Sheesh. Good thing you get around 25 marks a day, so they get done fast, but still...

I just hope there isn't more of these after that.

I just started after putting it off, so I get nowhere near 25 a day, I think it's like 15 for me :( The first trudge to 150 seems far!

Bisnic

Alex said:
I just started after putting it off, so I get nowhere near 25 a day, I think it's like 15 for me :( The first trudge to 150 seems far!

You get 25 a day after you complete the first 150 marks quest. So it's not THAT bad.

scoobs said:
Ive been farming firelands trash on my dk :) made 50,000 gold so far!

Damn how long did it take to earn that much? Gold/hour? I had more than that at my high point, but it still took me a couple months to earn via auction house. Maybe 5000g a week in a good one, but I was never super-high volume.

scoobs

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Damn how long did it take to earn that much? Gold/hour? I had more than that at my high point, but it still took me a couple months to earn via auction house. Maybe 5000g a week in a good one, but I was never super-high volume.
sold 2 epics lol. Only farmed for 8 hours or so

So, I was trying to start up BWL on my paladin (70) with a druid friend (85). It's annoying how the rest of the raid can be tanked and spanked at this point but you still need two or three people for the first two bosses.

Miragith

scoobs said:
Ive been farming firelands trash on my dk :) made 50,000 gold so far!

Made around 50k myself and still have around 50k worth of items in the AH still. Think I'm done with the farming though. I did it for about eight hours a day on the weekend.

I'm not sure if lords can be slowed. Your best bet is just kiting the scorpions and small turtles together (don't mess with the big ones) and then the hounds. I usually kite them to Alyrazor's or Rhyolith's room. And then just reset the instance.

SiegfriedFM said:
So, I was trying to start up BWL on my paladin (70) with a druid friend (85). It's annoying how the rest of the raid can be tanked and spanked at this point but you still need two or three people for the first two bosses.

Yeah definitely need at least two (and it will be difficult) if not 3-4 for the first guy.

Alucrid

Banned
Miragith said:
Made around 50k myself and still have around 50k worth of items in the AH still. Think I'm done with the farming though. I did it for about eight hours a day on the weekend.

I'm not sure if lords can be slowed. Your best bet is just kiting the scorpions and small turtles together (don't mess with the big ones) and then the hounds. I usually kite them to Alyrazor's or Rhyolith's room. And then just reset the instance.

I'm just trying to think of how you have space to kite with all the other mobs. I'm a hunter...thinking of trying this though. Might have to respec so my concurrent multi shots cost less though.

M.D

That owl thing does looks quite ridiculous lol

So why is there a cat form spell you can learn at level 8? before getting to choose a talent? if you choose balance that spell simply can't be used later?

I'm having fun for now.. I hope I get to level 20 before the game arrives so I can get a bit more understanding of this class before choosing between this or a mage

Bisnic

M.D said:
That owl thing does looks quite ridiculous lol

So why is there a cat form spell you can learn at level 8? before getting to choose a talent? if you choose balance that spell simply can't be used later?

I'm having fun for now.. I hope I get to level 20 before the game arrives so I can get a bit more understanding of this class before choosing between this or a mage

You can use cat form if you go balance or resto. It's not very useful unless you need to stealth through a group though.

M.D

Bisnic said:
You can use cat form if you go balance or resto. It's not very useful unless you need to stealth through a group though.

So wait.. I don't get it
What is the deal with the cat/bear/owl? Are these forms you get when you choose feral/balance? they are different than the cat form you learn as a spell?

Alucrid

Banned
M.D said:
So wait.. I don't get it
What is the deal with the cat/bear/owl? Are these forms you get when you choose feral/balance? they are different than the cat form you learn as a spell?

Everyone gets cat and bear. Owlkin is balance only. Feral just makes cat and bear far more effective than normal, owlkin makes your spells more damaging, and resto makes your healing better.

M.D

Alucrid said:
Everyone gets cat and bear. Owlkin is balance only. Feral just makes cat and bear far more effective than normal, owlkin makes your spells more damaging, and resto makes your healing better.

Great to hear should get my cat form in a few minutes :)

Someone said earlier hear that I just happened to fall on a race with an old and boring starting zone when I played my Blood Elf Mage and mentioned one other race having this problem from the Alliance but it wasn't the Night Elf

I remember playing the trial maybe 2 years ago and remember the starting zone pretty much exactly the same up until now.. does it change later?

Is there any other zone as cool as Azshara for low levels? Also can a player from Alliance go to Horde territories to take quests and vice versa? If you're on a PVP server like I am will you get killed pretty much all the time?

What is the equivalent of Orgrimmar for the Alliance?

Fularu

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Yeah definitely need at least two (and it will be difficult) if not 3-4 for the first guy.
Everything is 2 mannable, easily at that. Our combo was either Druid/Paladin or Druid/warrior. We did it weekly (out of boredom and because I enjoy BWL, it was also an easy 750g for 30 mins)

Alex

Teldrassil wasn't even changed for Cataclysm outside of a couple of stray quests. Darkshore looked incredible to me though, but I was just passing through, never got to do it.

One thing that's pissing me off about these dailies is how they're all crammed into these small areas and sub-zones. Maybe it'll open up a lot more when I hit the milestones but for now I just feel cramped in with way too many people. I say this a lot but I really wish they'd start to make use of their damn game world a little better instead of clogging things to the extreme with a couple of hubs.

Although, I do look forward to a new hub next expansion. Stormwind is like the oldest, ugliest thing in this game, it should not be the damn center of the world for Alliance.

Miragith

Alucrid said:
I'm just trying to think of how you have space to kite with all the other mobs. I'm a hunter...thinking of trying this though. Might have to respec so my concurrent multi shots cost less though.

I just wait for my guild to full clear FL. That way, it's not a huge cluster. But I think you can still kite with just Shannox down. Since the trash linked to him won't respawn.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
A guild member said you need a raid with Shan and or Rhy killed for kiting room. Not sure if they are doing it without them killed or not.

Oh wait, Miragith just mentioned this.

Alex

Cata Org is fantastic, really great visual overhaul, sadly Horde is very low pop on my server so I don't really get to see it much. Cata Stormwind on the other hand is nearly the same thing as it was before visually, even the new parts use the old 2004-era geometry and texturing (cept a few bits like the new roadwork in some districts).

Not very easy on the eyes, IMO. The difference between something modeled or textured in Cata compared to Classic is just enormous.

If the next expansion has a new continent like they say, then it has to have a new city for everyone! I hope! I just hope it's bigger than Dalaran. Dalaran was a nice city but it was too cramped.

Maybe we'll get new character models too. I have a feeling that is a surefire thing, considering that they seemed to want to do it before but ran out of time and the fact that it'd spark a lot of money through character remakes.

Alex said:
Cata Org is fantastic, really great visual overhaul, sadly Horde is very low pop on my server so I don't really get to see it much. Cata Stormwind on the other hand is nearly the same thing as it was before visually, even the new parts use the old 2004-era geometry and texturing (cept a few bits like the new roadwork in some districts).

Not very easy on the eyes, IMO. The difference between something modeled or textured in Cata compared to Classic is just enormous.

If the next expansion has a new continent like they say, then it has to have a new city for everyone! I hope! I just hope it's bigger than Dalaran. Dalaran was a nice city but it was too cramped.

Maybe we'll get new character models too. I have a feeling that is a surefire thing, considering that they seemed to want to do it before but ran out of time and the fact that it'd spark a lot of money through character remakes.

Shattrath was/is way better than Dalaran for lag and being able to show off your flying mounts. I like the open structure and the fact that it's large, but not TOO large. Current Orgrimmar is very spread out, maybe a little too much, though it was always a sprawling city.

Fularu said:
Everything is 2 mannable, easily at that. Our combo was either Druid/Paladin or Druid/warrior. We did it weekly (out of boredom and because I enjoy BWL, it was also an easy 750g for 30 mins)

Maybe I was thinking about having difficulties at 80. It certainly was pretty hard/impossible to only 2-man Razorgore then. I know I was in there before the 4.0 patch for Shifting Sands stuff, but I'm not sure if I went back at 85 ever.

Alucrid

Banned
Miragith said:
I just wait for my guild to full clear FL. That way, it's not a huge cluster. But I think you can still kite with just Shannox down. Since the trash linked to him won't respawn.

:'(

Well my guild is going after the bosses next week so we'll see. I also tried it after doing a quick FL trash run and the turtles were really easy to kite. Could have done it if I didn't stop to quickly warn others not to come in lol.

The big one couldn't even catch up, the medium one and the small ones were the only ones I had to slow, but I kept finding my self stopping to wait for them to get back in range.

Miragith

Yeah, I don't like pulling the big ones, even though you don't even need to put a snare on him since I play a DK and just reflects everything I do.

Alucrid

Banned
Miragith said:
Yeah, I don't like pulling the big ones, even though you don't even need to put a snare on him since I play a DK and just reflects everything I do.

Ah, slight problem there. I'd probably just feign and loot the small ones.

Flib

M.D said:
Great to hear should get my cat form in a few minutes :)

Someone said earlier hear that I just happened to fall on a race with an old and boring starting zone when I played my Blood Elf Mage and mentioned one other race having this problem from the Alliance but it wasn't the Night Elf

I remember playing the trial maybe 2 years ago and remember the starting zone pretty much exactly the same up until now.. does it change later?

Is there any other zone as cool as Azshara for low levels? Also can a player from Alliance go to Horde territories to take quests and vice versa? If you're on a PVP server like I am will you get killed pretty much all the time?

What is the equivalent of Orgrimmar for the Alliance?

Ones that are way different or new:

Undead, Goblin, Troll, Worgen, Gnome

The only two forms locked to specific specs for druids are Moonkin form and Tree of Life (for healers).

Alucrid

Banned
Actually, could I get someone who has downed shannox/rhy invite me to their raid, let me get into FL, then have them leave or whatever so that I'm in their locked instance?

Top Bottom