• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dresden said:
Not playing the game anymore, but I have to wonder at just why they made the new legendary daggers.

It's the fucking Cataclysm, toss enhancement shamans a bone.

I don't think making a legendary for just 1 spec is a good idea. Sure, a slow legendary with agility could still be used by combat rogues, but whatever...

Next, they're going to make a legendary wand just to piss you off. :lol

FLEABttn

Banned
I don't see why they can't make it so you have an option of legendary weapons to some extent. That way you have have a dagger legendary and not piss everyone completely off.

Mairu

TheYanger said:
Shit was comically easy. The tornadoes on Alysrazor move so slow that you can actually run into them from behind....You can also kill her in a single burn on heroic really easily. I just don't get how Blizz can think nerfs this bad are good for the game, if I had never done this stuff I would feel very cheated with how easy it is now. The ZA comment is spot on, it's actually harder.
Yep! This entire tier is a joke outside of Heroic Ragnaros, which still requires a lot of attention and coordination (though who knows for how long if they keep nerfing it.)

We weren't able to get HRag 25 down last night due to a bunch of stupid wipes but ended up trying some of the fights on heroic 10 man on our alts that we had done some Firelands raids on. We were able to kill Shannox, Rhyolith, Alysrazor, and Beth'tilac on Heroic with ease. I was on my DK for Beth'tilac doing the spiderlings and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing since I am used to tanking Beth'tilac on the top. I died towards the end of phase 1 and they still were able to kill her. Wasn't that fight supposed to be difficult on 10 man? The only reason we didn't get Baelroc last night was because we had wiped and the lava wall that goes up when you start the fight had stayed up and locked us out so we decided to call it a night.

We're actually considering trying HRag 10man on our alts and laughing at the idea that we'd beat our main 25 man raid to the Realm first LOL.

edit: no one cares but he died tonight anyways on our 25man :p

Dresden said:
Not playing the game anymore, but I have to wonder at just why they made the new legendary daggers.

It's the fucking Cataclysm, toss enhancement shamans a bone.

Maybe it would finally make Shaman viable for world firsts if that were the case.

:lol

But yeah, agility axes that were class restricted to rogues/shammies would be better. They could do something like that for a future legendary pair where it's viable for all the dual-wielding melee specs by just having really high weapon DPS and no +agility or +strength stats or tweaking it in other ways with the proc or some such (like how some trinkets pick your highest stat). A pair of axes or maces I guess, since shammies can't use swords.

Once we get H rag (1-2 weeks I'm hoping) we'll be clearing 7/7H in one raid with these nerfs... so I guess it will be either alt raids or Sinestra (who's probably harder than 6/7 firelands heroic right now) for the other two raids every week. That or we'll all start logging on only once a week.

wonderdung said:
Once we get H rag (1-2 weeks I'm hoping) we'll be clearing 7/7H in one raid with these nerfs... so I guess it will be either alt raids or Sinestra (who's probably harder than 6/7 firelands heroic right now) for the other two raids every week. That or we'll all start logging on only once a week.

Shard of Woe is still BiS for some specs I think. Damned good trinket. Not sure if it's still better than other stuff for Arcane Mages, but at least a few healing specs. The other gear is probably ignorable by now - though Sinestra would still be worth killing for the bragging rights and achievements/title.

---

Oh. And I forgot - I was cleaning up files on my computer and found when I recorded what I think is part of wiping on Heroic Northrend Beasts, and then a full clear of 10-man Crusader's Coliseum (Normal). Along with extra some traveling to cities and stuff. If anyone is interested in a blast to the past, I may upload it. Frost DK Tank PoV for most if not all of it. There may be some weird UI stuttering though - not sure if that's just me watching it through preview, or if there is actually a problem with the video.

Bisnic

I've been wondering, is AV better for honor than your random BG(other than your first victory of the day) if you win?

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
So, on transmorging weapons. It doesn't matter if it's agi or strength right?

Probably not so long as it's the same type.

X is getting drunk off Y
A is getting drunk off B
U is getting drunk off O
X is getting drunk off Y
A is getting drunk off B
U is getting drunk off O
X is getting drunk off Y
A is getting drunk off B
U is getting drunk off O
X is getting drunk off Y
A is getting drunk off B

So annoying.

Bisnic said:
I've been wondering, is AV better for honor than your random BG(other than your first victory of the day) if you win?

I've played a lot of AV at times (especially when they had just added BG XP and it was probably the quickest way to get XP in the game at the time.) and it depends. Is the fight going to stalemate with fighting in the middle or at a key graveyard. Usually I've seen Horde slowly pushing back Alliance near the northernmost bunker (not tower - can't remember the name) when it goes like this though. Otherwise you can have wild pushes back and forth, or rush games. And it depends on who actually wins - probably the largest factor in the amount of honor.

So really it varies. If it devolves into a stalemate/fighting in the middle game, usually Horde will win and eke out more honor unless Alliance sneaks in an extra tower. Otherwise, on average, Alliance tends to win more in rush games.

You also have the games where Horde decides to wipe Alliance at the mini-boss, and those get weird (never had it happen the reverse way around though.)

Tamanon said:
Paladin Tier 13 is out, surprisingly not the last released. It looks.....bland?

It's basically T11 but with a different helm (upon further reflection it's basically a better modeled T1 helm.) The shoulders are very similar.

/disappoint

Paladins have had some really good sets too. I like T2, T6, T8, and T10 quite a bit. Some of the others are pretty good, and though there are a few duds, the quality is consistently high compared to other classes.

Rokam

zmoney said:
Any chance of new pets skins or anything like that with the patch or is that sort of thing only in expansions?

Generally they release new pets with every major content patch.

Alex

I probably sound like a broken record but they REALLY need to make full meshes for body pieces too now. That Paladin armor would look a lot better if they didnt have to basically just design a helm and a pads and stop.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alex said:
I probably sound like a broken record but they REALLY need to make full meshes for body pieces too now. That Paladin armor would look a lot better if they didnt have to basically just design a helm and a pads and stop.
Have they ever given an official response?

Holy hell is Firelands easy now. Blew through all of it. Got to Rag, who we hadn't killed yet and only got to phase 3 once (for like 10 seconds before we wiped) and we one shot it.

Alucrid

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
Holy hell is Firelands easy now. Blew through all of it. Got to Rag, who we hadn't killed yet and only got to phase 3 once (for like 10 seconds before we wiped) and we one shot it.

Yeah that really makes me feel like dropping my sub :\

TheYanger

How do you figure? it's not even on PTR yet and has many new systems, forgetting about the instances altogether, that's a LOT of testing. This shit is 2.5-3 months away.

Our alts went in tonight having never done heroic firelands before and got 6/7 with only a single wipe. Fucking ridiculous, say what you want about experience, but we are SHIT on our alts as a whole, there's no reason this should happen.

Damn. These nerfs seem like major overkill. I know the content is a couple months old at this point, but if I came back now, I wouldn't want to necessarily steamroll it all in one week, and start (and defeat most?) heroic modes a week or two after that...

25 wipes on H Rag tonight makes me want to break things... and this is after two big nerfs. I guess it'd be nice to down it but at this point I'm perfectly content to roll into the next raid tier without it down. Maybe I'll feel differently by next raid.

YakiSOBA

Guys.. help a fellow gaffer out. I haven't touched WoW since vanilla, and just today re-subscribed and upgraded to Cataclysm to play with some friends.

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing anymore lol... I had a NE Druid way back in the day, but i'm starting fresh on horde side with friends now.

My friends are all making mages, so i might mage up with them -- is there a "best" race to be a mage on the horde side? If i dont roll mage, do you guys have any suggestions for something that will be easy to PvE and grind until I hit 85 and respec to do raids?

Any "cookie cutter" builds that are good with the latest patch?

Thanks!!

Hixx

Best for Mage would be Goblin or Troll? Both have a haste buff, Goblin is a flat 1% constant buff, Troll 20% but for 10seconds or so every 3 mins I think.

Alucrid

Banned
YakiSOBA said:
Guys.. help a fellow gaffer out. I haven't touched WoW since vanilla, and just today re-subscribed and upgraded to Cataclysm to play with some friends.

I have no fucking clue what I'm doing anymore lol... I had a NE Druid way back in the day, but i'm starting fresh on horde side with friends now.

My friends are all making mages, so i might mage up with them -- is there a "best" race to be a mage on the horde side? If i dont roll mage, do you guys have any suggestions for something that will be easy to PvE and grind until I hit 85 and respec to do raids?

Thanks!!

That's a terrible idea. Why would you all be mages?

SteveWD40

YakiSOBA said:

Thanks!!

As said, one of you needs to roll a tank and one needs to roll a healer if you are going to get much done. I would say Shaman to heal cos they can still be an offensive caster when solo'ing via dual specs, then for the tank maybe a druid (same logic).

Entropia

No One Remembers
TheYanger said:
How do you figure? it's not even on PTR yet and has many new systems, forgetting about the instances altogether, that's a LOT of testing. This shit is 2.5-3 months away.

Our alts went in tonight having never done heroic firelands before and got 6/7 with only a single wipe. Fucking ridiculous, say what you want about experience, but we are SHIT on our alts as a whole, there's no reason this should happen.

Skill and experience. You're probably as good on your alts as most people are on their mains.

I'm actually looking forward to going in on Monday with our alts and being able to kill more than 2 bosses. It's not that we're bad players but our group comp is pretty awful.

Yeah I think alot of you take for granted how lucky you are with guilds.
I bet the actual average guilds still have trouble after the nerfs, I remember beating my head against the pc desk when the less than average members of the guilds fucked up fights when I played as you are litrally powerless!

Bisnic

Yeah, skill and experience matter a lot. My casual guild who has never ran Firelands before only killed a few(2?) bosses on normal 10 man so far this week(from what i've heard, i rarely raid with them, and they only raid 3 days a week for less than 3 hours a day), they're not going to kill Ragnaros this week. The few times i raided with them i vastly outdpsed the others with my frost mage. Only the other arcane mage could do as good as i did. No one else was close to both of us(which was around 20k DPS or something).

Blizzard probably nerfed that place for people like them, not for hardcore people who browse EJ all week and been doing heroic raids since day 1. People like that are only a small portion of the player base and do not matter much in their eyes.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This is actually an interesting point made in this blog, http://maceandstaff.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/super-casual-guild-and-raiding/

So I joined a super casual guild. They have raid invites on the calendar and whoever wants to raid that day just signs up. As you can imagine, with that shifting attendance, random gearing, no committment, lack of practice (with raiding in general and the particular fights)… it’s bad. No worries, I thought. I’ll just hop in once every week or two when they need a hole filled.

We’re 1/7. Last night we actually (for the first time that I’ve seen) made progress on Beth and got her to P2. The only reason all most of the adds were dead at the start of P2 was b/c we used lust, so didn’t have it for healing at the end when things got crazy. Still, going from dying during the first wave of adds to dying with the boss at 30% is a huge improvement. We might kill her tonight.

If we continued as we have been going, we may have eventually (with enough MF, VP and BoE gear) have gotten Beth and Rhyo, but definitely not any further.

I’ve been wondering if we should be allowed to see the content. I was inspecting people last night. The RL is trying to put together a persistent, real, raid team (more on that later), and some of these people wanted to join that.

There was blue gear all over the place. Shoulders/Helm, I can accept. They’re still difficult to get and subject to RNG (either pug T11 runs or ZA/ZG). But some folks had blue gear in slots they could upgrade with justice points. Some folks were missing several enchants. I didn’t even consider if they were using the “right” gems/reforges, I was just looking to see what they had.

I asserted, when the news of the nerfs first came down, that folks in a casual guild like mine should be able to see the content and if that took nerfs, then it takes nerfs. Now, I’m not so sure.

It's interesting in that yes, the nerfs are intended so those types of players can see all the content - but if they're improperly gearing, not enchanting/gemming their gear, undergeared entirely... should they be able to?

Pollux

Entropia said:
This is actually an interesting point made in this blog, http://maceandstaff.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/super-casual-guild-and-raiding/

It's interesting in that yes, the nerfs are intended so those types of players can see all the content - but if they're improperly gearing, not enchanting/gemming their gear, undergeared entirely... should they be able to?
Are they paying the monthly fee? yea thats what I thought. Just because some people don't understand what's going on doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to see what they're paying for once everyone who takes the game seriously has already done/seen it.

Entropia

No One Remembers
zmoney said:
Are they paying the monthly fee? yea thats what I thought. Just because some people don't understand what's going on doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to see what they're paying for once everyone who takes the game seriously has already done/seen it.

While I agree that they are paying to play the game, there is a certain point where you have to know what you're doing to advance.

If you're playing any other type of game, let's say an FPS. You're on a mission that requires you to kill someone from a distance as quietly as possible. You have a choice of weapons that you can use. Obviously you should take a sniper rifle. But should the player who continually chooses a rocket launcher be allowed to complete that mission?

To put this in WoW terms:
You have gear that is available to you that's easy to obtain given the amount of time that you're able to play the game. Now if you've got the appropriate gear you should be able to advance into the next tier.

If I'm a Holy Paladin and I'm picking up strength/stamina gear - should I be able to successively progress through a raid?

Bisnic said:
If they suck so much that they do not gem or enchant at all or even use spirit gear as a caster dps or strength offset gear as a rogue/hunter, no amount of nerfs is going to make them kill Ragnaros or Deathwing.

Exactly. See my above point.

Bisnic

Entropia said:

If they suck so much that they do not gem or enchant at all or even use spirit gear as a caster dps or strength offset gear as a rogue/hunter, no amount of nerfs is going to make them kill Ragnaros or Deathwing.

Pollux

Entropia said:
While I agree that they are paying to play the game, there is a certain point where you have to know what you're doing to advance.

If you're playing any other type of game, let's say an FPS. You're on a mission that requires you to kill someone from a distance as quietly as possible. You have a choice of weapons that you can use. Obviously you should take a sniper rifle. But should the player who continually chooses a rocket launcher be allowed to complete that mission?

To put this in WoW terms:
You have gear that is available to you that's easy to obtain given the amount of time that you're able to play the game. Now if you've got the appropriate gear you should be able to advance into the next tier.

If I'm a Holy Paladin and I'm picking up strength/stamina gear - should I be able to successively progress through a raid?

Exactly. See my above point.

Ah it was that bad? I thought it was just not having gems or not having enchantments or seomething like that ...

Side Note...I always killed as many people as possible in Hitman, the mediocre AI and ragdolls were amusing lol.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm not sure of the extent of that blog poster's guildmates and their gearing issues but I was just providing an example of "This person should not be able to see all the content."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The concept that you should get to see all the content in an MMO because you pay for it is totally without merit.

The concept you should see nothing unless you grind heavily and find a group of extremely skilled compatriots is also without merit.

Entropia said:
I'm not sure of the extent of that blog poster's guildmates and their gearing issues but I was just providing an example of "This person should not be able to see all the content."

Well, if the "person" in question isn't going to make the effort to properly gem/enchant, then no, I don't think they should be able to see the content.

It stems off my belief that if someone isn't going to make the effort to do as much as they can to make their character that much better (DPS/Tanking/Healing), why should they be rewarded with seeing everything?

Entropia said:
Skill and experience. You're probably as good on your alts as most people are on their mains.

I'm actually looking forward to going in on Monday with our alts and being able to kill more than 2 bosses. It's not that we're bad players but our group comp is pretty awful.

---Well crap. I typed up a reply and hit submit, but got a 503 error. Anyway - I basically agree. So that's that. You're not going to fail spectacularly on alts unless someone is doing something they've never done before, or they're incredibly undergeared.

Pollux

Out of curiosity...what's the best way to go from honored to exalted in guild rep at lvl 85? (other than dailies...already doing those)

Bisnic

zmoney said:
Out of curiosity...what's the best way to go from honored to exalted in guild rep at lvl 85? (other than dailies...already doing those)

If you have already done every high lvl Cataclysm non-dailies quests... only dungeon guild runs are left.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
The concept that you should get to see all the content in an MMO because you pay for it is totally without merit.

The concept you should see nothing unless you grind heavily and find a group of extremely skilled compatriots is also without merit.

This is true, the problem is the perception that some people have that the game was ever like this: it wasn't. It CERTAINLY hasn't been like this since Wrath launched, and with heroic modes...just no. Nobody who was willing to put in the tiniest bit of effort and had some friends that would as well, was incapable of beating normal mode raids in this expansion or the last. Then comes along the idea that now people NEED to make progress from normals into heroics and beat all heroics? shit is ridiculous, what's the point of having heroic modes if they're not actually hard?

Also since it got a few replies, yes I know my guild is good, but when I say we aren't good at our alts I mean previous weeks we'd wipe over and over to fucking normal modes, these are fresh ass alts and we are bad at them. Just having the experience from our mains should not let us one shot bosses we are SEVERELY undergeared for. I bet we had 20 items upgraded from 353 to 391 last night. Normal modes barely even serve a purpose anymore, heroic is the new normal.

Pollux

Bisnic said:
If you have already done every high lvl Cataclysm non-dailies quests... only dungeon guild runs are left.
Thanks, thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

Also, heirlooms. Are Justice Heirlooms the best kind you can get? And what's the point of them to begin with? Should you only buy them if you plan on starting an alt?

FLEABttn

Banned
TheYanger said:
Then comes along the idea that now people NEED to make progress from normals into heroics and beat all heroics? shit is ridiculous, what's the point of having heroic modes if they're not actually hard?

I'm for people seeing "all content" but by all content I don't mean every version of the fight. Just a version of the fight.

Heroic raids can be original Naxx hard or whatever. Bend you over their knee hard. E-peen enlarging and waving hard.

Top Bottom