• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

TheYanger

ciaossu said:
Would you prefer a GCD locked melee rotation? Personally, I prefer a little down time. I quit playing Enhancement in Wrath when the rotation just got too overwhelming and there was no time to breathe.

I've heard that Death Knight dps in Wrath was GCD locked for at least one spec, I didn't play it though.

All DKs were GCD locked before, and with a very attainable level of haste frost absolutely still can be (Depending on procs). One of the reasons I'm not looking forward to that set bonus, actually. Rime is already a huge pain in the ass for keeping runes on CD without 'wasting' resources, having TWO howling blasts half the time when it procs sounds obnoxious as fuck and I know tons of procs will go to waste because of lack of gcds. Making killing machine procs double up would be infinitely better, lower the % to balance it if you want, but at least it's a useful proc that DOESN'T eat another effing GCD. Frost has gaps, but it only has gaps when you're not getting procs, if you're getting Rime procs you're already pushed to the limit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
28 petitions in 3 days?

450 in 2 years?

WTF? What's wrong with this guy? No wonder some tickets can take a long time to be resolved if they have thousands of these shit.

Sai-kun

Banned
DeathNote said:
Holy shit at this guy:
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/200104/harassment-by-gamemasters
A little light on what GMs have to deal with.

CoPAM.jpg

Rokal

davepoobond said:
that guy is ridiculous. he's probably not worth his subscription in terms of the amount of attention they gave to him.

They are almost definitely losing money by having him as a customer. Even if Blizzard out-sourced their GMs, which they don't, the amount of petitions he's submitted and how much time each of this petitions takes to answer means Blizzard is actually paying to keep him as a customer. A smart company would perma-ban him and hope he either learns not to harass the GMs or doesn't come back at all.

Loxley

DeathNote said:
Holy shit at this guy:

From that:

I'm sorry to hear that you have canceled your account, or plan to, since it doesn't look like it has happened just yet. If you decide to stick around I'd ask that you take some time to go over our Game Master Interaction policy as well as what Game Masters can assist with. That, and perhaps a change in how you view those who you are interacting with would go a long way to improving your time here.

Good luck.

(He said with the biggest sarcastic smirk possible...)

Rambaldi

Wow. I mean, just wow. That guy is a real winner.

In other news, I've recently started to get into my Death Knight. I've probably made, like, 10 but always deleted them because I just couldn't get into it. I do love the starting zone, though! However, I've been playing as Frost and I love it. It's strange as I really don't like melee combat at all but she's just so fun. I'm almost 80 and hope she's still a blast in Cata zones / dungeons. :3

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rambaldi said:
Wow. I mean, just wow. That guy is a real winner.

In other news, I've recently started to get into my Death Knight. I've probably made, like, 10 but always deleted them because I just couldn't get into it. I do love the starting zone, though! However, I've been playing as Frost and I love it. It's strange as I really don't like melee combat at all but she's just so fun. I'm almost 80 and hope she's still a blast in Cata zones / dungeons. :3
Bad tanks will get mad that you use Howling Blast, even though they just go an absurd buff to 500% threat. You will still pull aggro off of badtanks that don't even use BP, RF or DS and get mad. Then you'll rage at how it should be impossible to pull aggro.

Rambaldi

Angry Grimace said:
Bad tanks will get mad that you use Howling Blast, even though they just go an absurd buff to 500% threat. You will still pull aggro off of badtanks that don't even use BP, RF or DS and get mad. Then you'll rage at how it should be impossible to pull aggro.

I've found myself "off tanking" Northrend instances so much in the past few days that my friends convinced me to go Blood and tank tonight. It was... surprisingly easy. I've never tanked before and I didn't want to die afterwards. I still think I prefer DPS and Heals but I'm no longer completely opposed to it. :D

DeathNote said:
Holy shit at this guy:

Yeah even with all they put up with from this guy it seems a little unprofessional to make his abuse of the system public in that specific way. Like someone in the GM department was eager to finally get this guy back... everyone makes bad decisions in that frame of mind, especially customer support. I mean surely it has to be against some policy to reveal that he hasn't canceled his account yet or that he's too stupid to figure out ilevel. It's no one else's business.

I'm glad I don't have that job, though.

ch0mp

wonderdung said:
Yeah even with all they put up with from this guy it seems a little unprofessional to make his abuse of the system public in that specific way. Like someone in the GM department was eager to finally get this guy back... everyone makes bad decisions in that frame of mind, especially customer support. I mean surely it has to be against some policy to reveal that he hasn't canceled his account yet or that he's too stupid to figure out ilevel. It's no one else's business.

I'm glad I don't have that job, though.
His original post was in a public forum and he is obviously a serial pest. He got what he deserved.

Blackface

Banned
Bisnic said:
28 petitions in 3 days?

450 in 2 years?

WTF? What's wrong with this guy? No wonder some tickets can take a long time to be resolved if they have thousands of these shit.

It's called entitled rich kid syndrome.

Bisnic said:
Not really "new" art, it says 06 and 07. :p

I meant at least, that they're transferring what may have been on the old WoW site to the Battle.net 2.0 one. I think all the stuff is probably in the CE artbook, but unless you had that, a lot of it was otherwise unavailable (to my knowledge.)

So im level 20 now, and dont really know whats what still, but im getting there. The thing is im sick of my shit gear, I think I am still using the robes I got when I started (Blood Elf mage). I went to the Auction House in Silvermoon and bought some but then they didnt show up in any of my bags (as far as I could tell, so fuck knows what i did there lol). Anyway the AH doesnt have any for my level, are there any stores I should visit? And also this might sound silly, but are all the AH's linked? Or are the ones in different cities stocking different things?

Tamanon

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
So im level 20 now, and dont really know whats what still, but im getting there. The thing is im sick of my shit gear, I think I am still using the robes I got when I started (Blood Elf mage). I went to the Auction House in Silvermoon and bought some but then they didnt show up in any of my bags (as far as I could tell, so fuck knows what i did there lol). Anyway the AH doesnt have any for my level, are there any stores I should visit? And also this might sound silly, but are all the AH's linked? Or are the ones in different cities stocking different things?

Keep in mind, whenever you buy something from the auction house, you have to go to a mailbox to pick it up.

Also, at level 20, go ahead and hit I, get in some dungeons, it's definitely a good experience too.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Do NOT buy gear from the auction house. There's no reason to. You need your gold for more important things in the future and you do not want to struggle. You wont even need to buy gear with gold at level 85. The best gear is from dungeons while leveling, and even that gear gets outdated fast as you level higher.

(On a side note, I'd pick up the professions skinning and herbalism just to sell everything you gather on the auction house as you level.)

The city auction houses are linked. Horde sell to horde, alliance sell to alliance.

There's actually neutral auction houses where you can sell cross faction but they are out in a few higher level zones. They are pretty barren tho.

YakiSOBA

So I got my mage to lvl 13 (lol yay) and haven't used any talent points yet because I'm still deciding what spec to go...

Any advice? I know I can always respec later, but for the journey to lvl85 what do ya'll recommend?

TheYanger

Whichever one sounds the most fun. Frost is typically the 'recommendation' due to higher survivability and the pet, but they're all a joke so it doesn't matter.

G-Fex

I'm not sure what I want to do , I have a bunch of classes on my server.

I am having fun playing my druid (31) but I also like my priest (19), I sorta want to finish getting my hunter to 85 but eh...I don't know. Guess I'll go with what I enjoy?

YakiSOBA said:
So I got my mage to lvl 13 (lol yay) and haven't used any talent points yet because I'm still deciding what spec to go...

Any advice? I know I can always respec later, but for the journey to lvl85 what do ya'll recommend?

Frost gives you a pet in the water elemental, if you want that. Some people would consider it best for soloing since you get a bunch of snares and thus can keep mobs away from you while you cast more easily. Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Fire and Arcane are both fun. Arcane may be a little more boring though, as it will mostly boil down to using Arcane Blast until Arcane Missiles proc, then using those. Fire might have a little more variety.

Do spend your talent points as soon as possible though! You're losing out on very powerful bonuses and extra spells by not choosing a spec! Don't wait a level, just go out and pick! You can always test a spec out for a bit, then change if you don't like it for a paltry sum at lower levels. Dual-spec is also available at 30 for 10 gold, which isn't that much (you could probably beg it off someone if you were really broke), but it may be out of your reach for awhile without support. Certainly gold was harder to come by for newer players before the Cataclysm revamp, though they also lowered the price and level required on a lot of things (like mounts and such) in the past couple years.

G-Fex said:
I'm not sure what I want to do , I have a bunch of classes on my server.

I am having fun playing my druid (31) but I also like my priest (19), I sorta want to finish getting my hunter to 85 but eh...I don't know. Guess I'll go with what I enjoy?

What level is the hunter now?

And really, it doesn't matter if you haven't reached max level with a character yet (or even if you have, but haven't played much at max level). Feel free to experiment as much as you want in choosing a main - I wish I had that freedom. Once you settle in to a specific character for a long time (much more than the time spent leveling) you grow much more attached.

Yes, I could switch from my DK to my Shaman, or Warrior, or one of the other classes I had coming up, but I would be missing some irreplaceable things (Feats of Strength, Dates on some achievements proving I did whatever when it was relevant), and lose some other things that aren't irreplaceable, but are rare (a few mounts/items) difficult (gathering people for old raids), or extremely time-consuming (40+ Exalted Reputations, What A Long, Strange Trip achievement, etc.) to do.

If you think you would be able to get over those things, then you wouldn't have a problem switching characters easily. I don't have the mindset for that - I'm attached to what I have.

Hell, I have a druid that's roughly level 40 on the first server I ever played retail WoW on. He was my second retail character ever, and I haven't made another druid since because he has the WoW's 4th anniversary Feat of Strength, and the present(s) from the 2008 Winterveil, which none of my other characters have. Maybe it's silly I haven't made another druid, but I feel attached to this specific one because he's my oldest and has a few things that make him special. I always said I would level him and transfer him off (or vice versa) some day.

If anything, he's probably one of the few characters that could supplant my DK because of his precedence.

It's just so hard to switch when you've earned certain things on your main, or sunk a bunch of time into more "grindy" activities and those things won't show up on your other characters unless you repeated them. (Easier to do for things relevant to the current expansion, more difficult/feels worse for legacy content that doesn't have other incentives besides just doing it).

P.S. And yeah, that kind of devolved into something more reflective, but just read the first few paragraphs for the more relevant info.

Dammit, now I'm tempted to play that Druid, and finish off my Mage + Paladin.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
YakiSOBA said:

I have a 40 alt right now and preferred Arcane. I have a lot of beefy heirloom gear tho, so I might prefer something else with the gear quests/dungeons provide.

Fire is probably going to suck until level 29.You should notice every so often you can cast Arcane Missles. At level 29 you can put a point in Hot Streak where Arcane Missles wont be used anymore so Pyroblast (a 3.5 sec cast) becomes instant and costs no mana.

I've been on the fence tho. I need to try fire and Frost again.

G-Fex

CarbonatedFalcon said:
What level is the hunter now?

And really, it doesn't matter if you haven't reached max level with a character yet (or even if you have, but haven't played much at max level). Feel free to experiment as much as you want in choosing a main - I wish I had that freedom. Once you settle in to a specific character for a long time (much more than the time spent leveling) you grow much more attached.

Yes, I could switch from my DK to my Shaman, or Warrior, or one of the other classes I had coming up, but I would be missing some irreplaceable things (Feats of Strength, Dates on some achievements proving I did whatever when it was relevant), and lose some other things that aren't irreplaceable, but are rare (a few mounts/items) difficult (gathering people for old raids), or extremely time-consuming (40+ Exalted Reputations, What A Long, Strange Trip achievement, etc.) to do.

If you think you would be able to get over those things, then you wouldn't have a problem switching characters easily. I don't have the mindset for that - I'm attached to what I have.

Hell, I have a druid that's roughly level 40 on the first server I ever played retail WoW on. He was my second retail character ever, and I haven't made another druid since because he has the WoW's 4th anniversary Feat of Strength, and the present(s) from the 2008 Winterveil, which none of my other characters have. Maybe it's silly I haven't made another druid, but I feel attached to this specific one because he's my oldest and has a few things that make him special. I always said I would level him and transfer him off (or vice versa) some day.

If anything, he's probably one of the few characters that could supplant my DK because of his precedence.

It's just so hard to switch when you've earned certain things on your main, or sunk a bunch of time into more "grindy" activities and those things won't show up on your other characters unless you repeated them. (Easier to do for things relevant to the current expansion, more difficult/feels worse for legacy content that doesn't have other incentives besides just doing it).

P.S. And yeah, that kind of devolved into something more reflective, but just read the first few paragraphs for the more relevant info.

Dammit, now I'm tempted to play that Druid, and finish off my Mage + Paladin.

well i'm pretty damn lazy to level my higher ups, like my 80 mage.

I'm not attached to anything particular on any character really except the fact they're all on the same server. I've never ran a raid ever or gotten the chance to really buy pvp armor (I got my hunter some gear from the stupid vendor in gadgetzan).

Hunter is 74, I love playing her cause I like hitting hard as fuck in PVP in my survival spec. I'm almost always top ranking in each BG.

Though I never fully leveled a druid or priest.

Ah well I'll figure something

DeathNote said:
Do NOT buy gear from the auction house. There's no reason to. You need your gold for more important things in the future and you do not want to struggle. You wont even need to buy gear with gold at level 85. The best gear is from dungeons while leveling, and even that gear gets outdated fast as you level higher.

(On a side note, I'd pick up the professions skinning and herbalism just to sell everything you gather on the auction house as you level.)

The city auction houses are linked. Horde sell to horde, alliance sell to alliance.

There's actually neutral auction houses where you can sell cross faction but they are out in a few higher level zones. They are pretty barren tho.

Tamanon said:
Keep in mind, whenever you buy something from the auction house, you have to go to a mailbox to pick it up.

Also, at level 20, go ahead and hit I, get in some dungeons, it's definitely a good experience too.
Thanks guys, what are the best dungeons to go to at my level, and preferrably solo, as I rarely get to play with friends most of the time.

suzu

pseudocaesar said:
Thanks guys, what are the best dungeons to go to at my level, and preferrably solo, as I rarely get to play with friends most of the time.
Queue for dungeons with the Dungeon Finder. You'll be automatically put in a 5-man group with other random people. There will be a little eyeball on the edge of your minimap that you can click/hover to check the queue time. After some time, when the group is formed, a window will pop-up and ask if you want to enter the dungeon.

I suggest running with the default random dungeon option, because you will receive a goody bag with gear or money after completing the last boss of a dungeon.

General loot rules: Click Need if the gear is better than your currently equipped gear. Click Greed for everything else that drops.

Awesome, thats a pretty awesome tool, the dungeon finder thing. Should I take healing potions and all that sorta gear or just the clothes on my back so to speak?

Bisnic

You can't really buy healing potions from merchants, they only drop from monsters or are made by alchemists. But they're not really worth it, monsters dies fast enough while questing that you will rarely need them, and if you do dungeons you have your healer to take care of your health.

Keep questing and doing dungeons and you will eventually replace your shitty gear. Dungeons have the better loot, but you have to depend on random more than quests, not to mention having to share it with the others in your group that might want that blue robe or that blue staff.

lordmrw

pseudocaesar said:
Awesome, thats a pretty awesome tool, the dungeon finder thing. Should I take healing potions and all that sorta gear or just the clothes on my back so to speak?

You have no idea how convenient it is. To answer your question, no you don't need healing potions. You'll want mana potions though. The group you're placed in will always be 1 tank, 1 healer, and 3 dps including yourself. Its the healer's job to keep everyone healed and alive, but at the same time don't do something silly like attack random mobs and pull before the tank. A target assist macro comes in handy so that you can make sure to always attack the same target as the tank.

suzu

Mana potions or drinks are really the only things you might need. Just eat/drink in between pulls when you need to recover (if Evocation is on cooldown).

Let the tank get threat first before you start attacking. Try to kill the same target as the tank. If you get aggro, run to the tank instead of running away so they can take the mob off you quicker.

You can right-click the tank (the player with a shield near his name) and set a focus on him. That means you always see his icon and what he's targetting. That makes it easier to keep attacking the same thing he's attacking. This little window can be moved around, I keep mine just to the right of whatever I'm targetting myself.

Something important to consider is the armor classes. Now, you're wearing cloth so you can't roll Need on leather or mail anyway, but note down what class the healer is. At below level 40, you can get healers in mail (paladins), leather (shaman or druid) or cloth (priests). Some healers start bitching if you roll on their gear and it can be hard to tell the difference (I'm lousy at it), so ask first if you're not sure. Most of the time the healer might be wearing heirlooms already and scoff at whatever drops, but it can also be another newbie and that upgrade for him might be what saves the entire group later on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TheYanger said:
Whichever one sounds the most fun. Frost is typically the 'recommendation' due to higher survivability and the pet, but they're all a joke so it doesn't matter.
Arcane is invincible at leveling now, particularly in anything 80+ zones.

DeathNote said:
I have a 40 alt right now and preferred Arcane. I have a lot of beefy heirloom gear tho, so I might prefer something else with the gear quests/dungeons provide.

Fire is probably going to suck until level 29.You should notice every so often you can cast Arcane Missles. At level 29 you can put a point in Hot Streak where Arcane Missles wont be used anymore so Pyroblast (a 3.5 sec cast) becomes instant and costs no mana.

I've been on the fence tho. I need to try fire and Frost again.
Fire is terrible at all levels other than if you just like spamming mana-free scorch. I'd say Mage is in a worse place than it was in WLK; at least then you had more than one option for PvP and PvE.

SiegfriedFM said:
You can right-click the tank (the player with a shield near his name) and set a focus on him. That means you always see his icon and what he's targetting. That makes it easier to keep attacking the same thing he's attacking. This little window can be moved around, I keep mine just to the right of whatever I'm targetting myself.

Something important to consider is the armor classes. Now, you're wearing cloth so you can't roll Need on leather or mail anyway, but note down what class the healer is. At below level 40, you can get healers in mail (paladins), leather (shaman or druid) or cloth (priests). Some healers start bitching if you roll on their gear and it can be hard to tell the difference (I'm lousy at it), so ask first if you're not sure. Most of the time the healer might be wearing heirlooms already and scoff at whatever drops, but it can also be another newbie and that upgrade for him might be what saves the entire group later on.

It's easy to tell now. It either has spirit or it doesn't.

DeBurgo

pseudocaesar said:
Awesome, thats a pretty awesome tool, the dungeon finder thing.
as a fellow new player, I have to say be wary of the dungeon finder past level 50 or so, as it seems like people suddenly start to have much higher expectations of competency by that point. I had nothing but good experiences before that point, and then after that point people just started acting like humongous jerks for slip-ups. That sort of thing might not bother you though, I dunno.

I'm at 64 now, and I'm seriously considering just questing up to 85, or finding a guild to do dungeons with... or maybe just not playing the game anymore.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:

Actually, you can roll need on any and everything 1-60.

yacobod

Banned
I was thinking about resubbing for 4.3, I got cata at launch and didn't really play it. I have 3 80s, what are the states of warrior, hunter, or dk?

Angry Grimace

North American realms (excluding Brazilian, Latin American, and Oceanic realms) no longer permit letters with accents in character or guild names. Existing character and guild names with special characters will be unaffected by this change.

muahahahaha suck it people with stupid names like "Arthás"

Holy Radiance now has a 3.0-second cast time, no cooldown, and requires a player target. That target is imbued with Holy Radiance, which heals them and all group members within 10 yards instantly, and continues to heal them by a smaller amount every 1 second for 3 seconds.

Edit: I see that Prayer of Healing works like CoH used to (haven't played priest in a while), so PoH is a better comparison. I'm not sure how I like this. It doens't seem like nearly as interesting a spell just being PoH with a HoT.

Bisnic

Paladin (Forums / Talent Calculator / Skills/Talents)

Seal of Insight, when Judged, no longer returns 15% base mana to the paladin. Judging Seal of Insight still causes damage, and melee attacks will still restore 4% of base mana.

I knew this couldn't last long... good bye infinite mana for heroics.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
North American realms (excluding Brazilian, Latin American, and Oceanic realms) no longer permit letters with accents in character or guild names. Existing character and guild names with special characters will be unaffected by this change.

muahahahaha suck it people with stupid names like "Arthás"
They get to keep them.. so....

Top Bottom