• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alucrid

Banned
TheYanger said:
Weird, just a playstyle thing, most people I know that like melee hate all ranged, and vice versa. I am an AMAZING melee player on almost any toon, ranged....no thanks. Totally different skillset.

Heh yeah. I die way too much on my cat druid. Too used to having such a wide breadth with my hunter. I also suck a casting classes, but so far I'm play a warrior (tank) and like it pretty well.

I've mostly played melee - as a tank or dps. I've become pretty good at it. While healing is a different beast, switching to one of my ranged alts it's incredibly easy.

No joke, there's almost nothing to worry about in comparison besides your rotation - which is also significantly easier with the delay of most things having a cast bar - you don't have to have nearly as good reflexes to perform compared to some melee specs that will be GCD capped.

Combined with latency indicators on cast bars - it's much more difficult to reach peak performance on a melee character which doesn't have an equivalent.

Mairu

If anyone happens to be involved in a 10 man Firelands raid that's weary of doing heroics I would urge you to at least do Majordomo on Heroic. It's actually easier on heroic than on normal

ampere

Maybe it's just a personal peeve, but I don't like being under hard hit caps. Dual wield melee often involves gearing to a soft cap, so some white hits will still miss.

I like playing caster and not seeing any misses. Also, no worrying about hitting the boss from behind, like on Domo or Rag :p

Rokal

ciaossu said:
Maybe it's just a personal peeve, but I don't like being under hard hit caps. Dual wield melee often involves gearing to a soft cap, so some white hits will still miss.

I like playing caster and not seeing any misses. Also, no worrying about hitting the boss from behind, like on Domo or Rag :p

You can always set your scrolling combat text to suppress misses.

ciaossu said:

The thing that bugs me most is when melee have holes in their rotation and you just have to sit there for X seconds. Maybe it only happens when you're undergeared but it's bugged me from time to time on both ret paladin and DK.

I played rogue in classic, healers in TBC and mage since Wrath. When I pulled out the DK to do some PVP it took me a long time to get used to melee range and facing again, but once you're back in the swing of things it's not that hard to switch between.

CassSept

Jesus Christ, urge to return to WoW - riissiiiing.

These wings are great. It's a shame I don't have time to raid, wielding these daggers would feel goooood.

Alucrid

Banned
wonderdung said:
The thing that bugs me most is when melee have holes in their rotation and you just have to sit there for X seconds. Maybe it only happens when you're undergeared but it's bugged me from time to time on both ret paladin and DK.

I played rogue in classic, healers in TBC and mage since Wrath. When I pulled out the DK to do some PVP it took me a long time to get used to melee range and facing again, but once you're back in the swing of things it's not that hard to switch between.

this happens with my feral all the time. oh, no energy...i guess I just sit here?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
this happens with my feral all the time. oh, no energy...i guess I just sit here?
Having time to look at your surroundings is intended. They touched on being global cooldown locked a while back. There was a "I can multitask" response and then we all stopped talking about it for months.

mileS said:
how is rogue dps doing these days? I haven't raided for a while (still haven't stepped foot into any cata raids besides BH, and that shouldn't even be considered) but from all the ZG/ZA runs i've been doing I never see rogues and when I do they can't seem to get over 12k dps. Just curious. Do most rogues spec combat these days for raiding?

I went through a decent amount of normal FL before I quit, but Rogue DPS was 'ok' when I raided. It is extremely dependent on the ability of the player to get the rotation down and all that jazz. It also depends on the fight - if there was a substantial amount of target switching, my dps tanked, whereas a static tank and spank (chim), I, or another rogue, topped the chart. Regardless, I overall skewed towards the top of the chartzzz, behind our hunters, usually.

I raided as Assassination, but last time I checked EJ, Assass and Combat were pretty damn close in terms of overall dps, with the edge going towards assassination, but that might have changed within this last tier. I never liked Combat; it just felt too clunky for me.

Rokal

wonderdung said:

There are times when I just auto-attack on my rogue and let energy build for a couple seconds, but I don't see how that is much different from waiting on casts to go off (or wyvern shot, etc.). In that sense, something like a mage actually has much more 'idle time'.

Rokam

I'm suprised Blizzard didn't come out today and announce 4.3 PTR, can't let Bioware have the spotlight for too long. At least we know 4.3 will be out by December :).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
theinfinityissue said:
I'm always confused by the lack of raiding rogues around. Granted, I've been one since the beginning of wotlk, but it's an amazing class. Maybe people just think they're a pvp cheese class and that's all or something. It requires a little bit of strategy, but the results can be incredible. I'm not the authority by any means, and there're TONS of rogues better than me, but if anyone wants to legit roll a new one and level it I can provide advice here or pm's, or raiding tips, or whatever.
Rogues take melee levels of damage, and need to get in melee range but don't necessarily end up higher on charts than ranged even if they have 100% uptime. They simply put, don't bring enough to the table for people to like them given that their versatility beyond DPS comes in being annoying in PvP.

DeathNote said:
They're FailMounts. You know how you get the Spectral Griffon when you die in a flight zone? You get one if you manage to die enough times that the Gryffon decides he might as well be your property.

Rokam

Blue posted that they are going to try to have 4.3 PTR up this week, but since there's a whole lot of crap in the patch they can't guarantee it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Rogues take melee levels of damage, and need to get in melee range but don't necessarily end up higher on charts than ranged even if they have 100% uptime. They simply put, don't bring enough to the table for people to like them given that their versatility beyond DPS comes in being annoying in PvP.

They're FailMounts. You know how you get the Spectral Griffon when you die in a flight zone? You get one if you manage to die enough times that the Gryffon decides he might as well be your property.
So all of my alts should bust ass to get rid of their ugly wyverns? I hope these are easy to get for level 60's since they are the level 60 models.

Alex

They just need a new reward type, I'm afraid to see what happens after they've made a lap of all existing mounts with alpha channel and flaming versions.

Alucrid

Banned
There was that wowhead link that showed alternative colored t2 outfits found in outland dungeons linked here but I can't find it. anyone know what it was?

mileS

the grass is always greener...

I mostly PvP in random BG's, have been doing it for years now on the horde side, on my server Bleeding Hollow. From that point of view the alliance always had at least 2 healers and seemed to work together more than the horde did. Anyways, just last month I switched over to the alliance to play with some of my friends, only to find out BG's are completely different over here. I can't join a battle for gilneas without at least 4 healers on horde side and we'd be lucky to have at least one decent healer on alliance. It's not just that one BG, it seems to be all of them. Losing my patience extremely fast now.. There really needs to be a limit on how many healers can join the same team at one time or they need to find a way to balance it better.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mileS said:
the grass is always greener...

I mostly PvP in random BG's, have been doing it for years now on the horde side, on my server Bleeding Hollow. From that point of view the alliance always had at least 2 healers and seemed to work together more than the horde did. Anyways, just last month I switched over to the alliance to play with some of my friends, only to find out BG's are completely different over here. I can't join a battle for gilneas without at least 4 healers on horde side and we'd be lucky to have at least one decent healer on alliance. It's not just that one BG, it seems to be all of them. Losing my patience extremely fast now.. There really needs to be a limit on how many healers can join the same team at one time or they need to find a way to balance it better.

I joined a Gilneas BG yesterday where the horde team had 6 healers and alliance had 0. We(alliance) still managed to beat them because they couldn't kill anyone with so little DPS.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:

Rogues take some of the least damage in the game of any class, and have some of the BEST personal utility...I don't understand this misconception. Melee don't generally take MORE damage in most fights anymore, they just get screwed more by positioning. I can't actually think of any FL fights where melee take more, and specifically rogues, who have feint, cloak, evasion...they're just beastly. Blade Flurry is the cheapest most broken 'utility' any class has in a lot of situations still too. The problem isn't with rogues, they're an awesome class, the problem is people just don't play them. /shrug.

Rokam

TheYanger said:
Rogues take some of the least damage in the game of any class, and have some of the BEST personal utility...I don't understand this misconception. Melee don't generally take MORE damage in most fights anymore, they just get screwed more by positioning. I can't actually think of any FL fights where melee take more, and specifically rogues, who have feint, cloak, evasion...they're just beastly. Blade Flurry is the cheapest most broken 'utility' any class has in a lot of situations still too. The problem isn't with rogues, they're an awesome class, the problem is people just don't play them. /shrug.

Feint is just ridiculous free 50% damage reduction, yes please! Especially on fights with predictable aoe.

Mairu

Protection, 4P -- Reduces the cooldown of Divine Guardian by 60 sec and increases the radius of its effect by 70 yards.
Cataclysm Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Cooldown is now 3 minutes, up from 2. Also reduced to a 30yd effective range.

lol

Rokam

Mairu said:
Cataclysm Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Cooldown is now 3 minutes, up from 2. Also reduced to a 30yd effective range.

lol

They do that a lot, just look at the ret 4 piece, that used to be a talent.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
That solves the hunter focus problem.

Also, now I'm going to have to fucking focus dump into arcane. :(

finally, firelands is a fucking joke now.
What's your rotation/priority at 85? EJ MM is a bit lengthy for me to read when I'm only 40.

Alex

Fixing genuine class problems with tier set bonuses is one of the most frustrating elements of any game I've ever played. I hate when they do that.

As such I'm curious as to what Elemental Shaman is going to get in 4.3 since they'll be losing that massive boon they gained with the Fire Elemental reset. Probably should just make it a genuine pet at this rate if they insist on counting something like that as a real DPS ability.

That Warrior 4-piece bonus is really bad, yikes. I bet that's one that'll get changed. Restricted to such a narrow situation and even then it has two giant forms of chance on it. May as well just toss up wind direction and precipitation to boot!

Prot paladins get the short end of the stick with the 4P bonus compared to the other classes. Probably fair though, since the 4P gives the other tanks pretty much what paladins already had (though better.)

And the Shadow Priest bonuses seems fucking insane.

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
What's your rotation/priority at 85? EJ MM is a bit lengthy for me to read when I'm only 40.

I don't really roll with a rotation, just shot priority.

Chimera, if it's on CD aimed, if I need focus steady.

While under haste buffs just cast aimed and steady.

Use serpent if I remember or care to.

Arcane if it's nearing the end of the fight and i need to focus dump fast.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
I don't really roll with a rotation, just shot priority.

Chimera, if it's on CD aimed, if I need focus steady.

While under haste buffs just cast aimed and steady.

Use serpent if I remember or care to.

Arcane if it's nearing the end of the fight and i need to focus dump fast.
The melee vs range argument earlier made me think that chasing players/positioning can be a pain but I dislike cast times on range.

Not really liking the cast times on Aimed and Steady at 40 or the crappy pet assist mode.

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
The melee vs range argument earlier made me think that chasing players/positioning can be a pain but I dislike cast times on range.

Not really liking the cast times on Aimed and Steady at 40 or the crappy pet assist mode.

I'm used to it, that could be why. Played all of MC/BWL doing that so it's just natural to me and easy to work around the casting time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TheYanger said:
Combo points are a fucking pain in the ass too.

Rokal said:
There are times when I just auto-attack on my rogue and let energy build for a couple seconds, but I don't see how that is much different from waiting on casts to go off (or wyvern shot, etc.). In that sense, something like a mage actually has much more 'idle time'.

Yeah mage has a lot more "idle" time in-game because of no auto attack, but in the 1.4s between casts I'm normally spamming whatever button will do my next cast. Mage isn't especially interesting right now except maybe on frost since a large part of damage involves spamming one spell, but at least I never get into situations where I can't do anything (except at very high haste buffs like Sinestra... and in that case it only lasts a very very short time).

Miletius

The warlock 2p seems pretty insane for demo warlocks. Basically all Demo warlocks do right now is stack mastery so you can get an super dps Doomguard -- having that last 45 more seconds and reducing the CD to 6 minutes...

Alex

Rogues just have no real identity nowadays. They simply don't fit in well with the landscape of the game and don't really jump to mind when you think about modern WoW. It's not really about being good or bad. When I think "Hm, what should I play this time" Rogue is usually the class I forget even exists anymore.

Back in classic they had sky high population because of how well their skill set fit to the game. Their secondary skills had some meaning, their primary skills all fit into an open world situation and they were really the be all & end all melee back then, Fury didn't catch on big until Naxxramas and even then spec design wasn't quite the archetypal blob it is today.

But really I don't think there's a single class in this game that has any truly exciting design or creativity to it. I really miss the game having some niches and choices for playstyle and support roles. I just want things like my BC-era Shadow Priest back, such a shame.

Kaper

So yeah, uhhh.. yeah. Decided to level my second druid who was chillin at lvl 75 (my other is 80). Holy crap is all I can say. My only 85 at the time I started leveling was my paladin who has been my main through end of bc/wrath/start of cata. I've found a new main character. Ret and prot are in such a bad, dumb and boring state right now, and I was getting really tired of not being able to do anything outside of raids, so I started leveling last week. Leveling was a blast, feral just keeps on truckin and the burst, oh the burst, is awesome. It's like night and day different from playing my paladin.

I hit 85 yesterday, and after 13 hours of play time at lvl 85 I now have 361 item level and I full cleared Firelands with my guilds alt group + pugs. Its neat that I've been able to catch up on the Firelands stuff that I've missed since cancelling my sub in early March, but it's bittersweet because I've geared up so quickly there is literally no reason to go do the old content, and some of those fights were fun (a lot more fun than Rhyolith/alysrazor zzz). Feral and balance are a lot more fun than prot and ret, and I can dps, tank and heal with 2 specs which is a sick bonus. I can finally solo stuff now, it's awesome! Hopefully I have enough time to join my guild in hardmodes, though I doubt it will take long finish hardmodes since all we have left is baleroc and rag. See you in 4.3!

Alucrid

Banned
Kaper said:
So yeah, uhhh.. yeah. Decided to level my second druid who was chillin at lvl 75 (my other is 80). Holy crap is all I can say. My only 85 at the time I started leveling was my paladin who has been my main through end of bc/wrath/start of cata. I've found a new main character. Ret and prot are in such a bad, dumb and boring state right now, and I was getting really tired of not being able to do anything outside of raids, so I started leveling last week. Leveling was a blast, feral just keeps on truckin and the burst, oh the burst, is awesome. It's like night and day different from playing my paladin.

I hit 85 yesterday, and after 13 hours of play time at lvl 85 I now have 361 item level and I full cleared Firelands with my guilds alt group + pugs. Its neat that I've been able to catch up on the Firelands stuff that I've missed since cancelling my sub in early March, but it's bittersweet because I've geared up so quickly there is literally no reason to go do the old content, and some of those fights were fun (a lot more fun than Rhyolith/alysrazor zzz). Feral and balance are a lot more fun than prot and ret, and I can dps, tank and heal with 2 specs which is a sick bonus. I can finally solo stuff now, it's awesome! Hopefully I have enough time to join my guild in hardmodes, though I doubt it will take long finish hardmodes since all we have left is baleroc and rag. See you in 4.3!

I miss soloing stuff in bear form. :(

Bear form > cat form for questing.

Kaper

Alucrid said:
I miss soloing stuff in bear form. :(

Bear form > cat form for questing.

Yeah man, molten front is lols worthy on my druid compared to my paladin. I can just jump into a bunch of mobs, kill them and end the fight with barely any hp lost. On my paladin it would take forever and I'd have to WoG myself on cd.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this: I finally have a presence in pvp as a druid. When I'm left alone I seriously hurt things, pvp is fun again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Kaper said:

I'm assuming you didn't want to xfer the 80? I just got a druid to 60. Flight Form is so fun. Too bad I don't have Shadowmeld for world pvp.

There's this alliance druid that trolls Hyjal.

ampere

wonderdung said:

Would you prefer a GCD locked melee rotation? Personally, I prefer a little down time. I quit playing Enhancement in Wrath when the rotation just got too overwhelming and there was no time to breathe.

I've heard that Death Knight dps in Wrath was GCD locked for at least one spec, I didn't play it though.

Top Bottom