• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Alucrid

Banned
Mairu said:
Domo heroic is easier than normal domo due to concentration & the lack of heavy raid damage. You just never take a flame scythe on heroic 10 man

Yeah. The Orb phase just fucked us up. One time both orbs spawned right next to each other so that was doomed to be a wipe since his jumps just screwed everything up since they were all on the orb takers. TBH I never found it that hard of a fight on normal though.

Mairu said:
Domo heroic is easier than normal domo due to concentration & the lack of heavy raid damage. You just never take a flame scythe on heroic 10 man

Really? That's something we never tried when we were working on it. I guess it would work better in some ways since you'd have the damage buff more often, but we enjoy avoiding the flame orbs as much as possible.

Raid Finder is still kind of a weird concept to me. The raids we have known (not knowing how much down-tuning/simplification will be done on the Raid Finder raids) are just so much more complex - especially 25-mans. I'm just not confident in how well it will work.

It kind of feels like an attempt to make 25-mans more relevant again (even if it's in gimped mode) after killing off a good portion of them with the shared lockout/same loot (still a rather large blunder IMO.)

I really do think it worked better with regular 10-mans being pretty damn easy, Heroic 10s/Regular 25s being your primary challenge (actually somewhat hard or logistics-wise), and Heroic 25s being the thing that you aspire to - if you can clear the regular instance, your 25-man guild should be able to get at least some bosses, but it should scale to being more and more difficult for the last few (at least within the first few months - it can be nerfed around the next patch.)

YakiSOBA

Got to level 20, Goblin Mage -- loving the frost spec for pve :)

Just a question, are there area's that you guys go to grind that give more experience than regular areas, or is it best to just do all the quests and kill as you go?

The reason I ask is that I was in an area with some giant turtle named scalebeard and some naga creature and killing both gave me 1500 exp each, but not sure how long untli they respawn... if they spawn fast id just stay here and kill them all day lol

YakiSOBA said:

Just a question, are there area's that you guys go to grind that give more experience than regular areas, or is it best to just do all the quests and kill as you go?

The reason I ask is that I was in an area with some giant turtle named scalebeard and some naga creature and killing both gave me 1500 exp each, but not sure how long untli they respawn... if they spawn fast id just stay here and kill them all day lol

Questing will usually be a lot more efficient than grinding, not to mention more interesting. :)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
No rag tonight or this week because of people not logging on, again.

YakiSOBA said:

Scalebeard is a rare with a spawn timer that's probably a few hours.

Alucrid

Banned
Downed Domo on heroic, got the heroic shoulders and the neck from normal Firelord. Playing WoW is REALLY fucking hard when you have four other people in your room talking to you.

Rokal

1 shot heroic rhy and shannox without anyone in our guild having attempted the heroic version before.

When is 4.3 again? :-\

For anyone interested in doing the classic vanilla WoW experience there is a great server called The Rebirth. Super easy and simple to setup and start playing within 15-20 mins.

http://www.therebirth.net/

Its 1.12.1 patch WoW, everything 99% identical and working, with the exception of a global chat room and few other minor things because the server is only one month old and population only started peaking around 300. No stupid donations for items and gear like other servers, no favors from devs/gms, none of that stuff.

So far its great, the community is awesome, the developer and gms are awesome. I see more people in the world zones and outside of Org on the Horde side with a nightly peek of 200 players than I did on live with probably 2,000+. Oldschool gameplay, have to run everywhere, leveling is actually hard and you will die, a lot. And you actually have to interact and speak to people, form real groups, talk strategy, etc.

Youre gear will be shit, believe me. There is no twinking, everyone is on an fresh start and the economy has only started developing, most items on sale below the 3-5 gold mark. Every copper and silver you get is going to count, this is classic vanilla leveling, nothing dumbed down, and every level and blue item you earn actually feels like an accomplishment instead of the 10 hour to level 80 amusement park ride live is.

Ugh. Just doing some preliminary research on possible realms to transfer to.

My Requirements Are:

*** ~Top 50 or Higher on WoWProgress (as a contingency, in case things didn't work out - always will be more guilds/opportunities [better PUGs, higher chance of seeing GDKP, etc.) Both of the main servers I've played on are currently ranked below 100 (one closer to 200).

*** High Population (preferably 10,000+ on WoWProgress) - again, contingency - more people, more guilds, less likely need to transfer again if I end up dissatisfied with Guild X. Also, stronger economies.

*** Central or Pacific Time - I live in Central, so Eastern is out since that would force me to raid earlier in general, though an exception could be made. Central is perfectly fine, and Pacific I wouldn't mind since later raid times would be great if the raids themselves weren't too long. Mountain servers I rule out just since there are so few of them anyway (and maybe 1 fits my other criteria.)

*** Ideally a relatively balanced Horde/Alliance ratio, but I wouldn't mind being on a blowout realm (on the favored side) either.

*** PvP or PvE - doesn't matter to me much at all to me right now. If anything, I'd probably prefer PvP after primarily being on PvE realms.

Any Suggestions/Do any of you live on a server that would work for me?

Some of the ones I've been looking at are:

Korgath
Stormreaver
Kil'Jaeden

Horribly Imbalanced Populations
Illidan
Mal'Ganis
Blackrock
Cho'Gall
Area 52 (Eastern)

Edited for some formatting/clarity.

Azwethinkweiz said:
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to be posting things like that here.

Why is that? This is an opensource server whos code is available to anyone. There are no donations or money being exchanged, no for profit advertising to any other products or games, and everyone that runs this server and plays on this server has already purchased and paid in full for copies of the original WoW.

strafer

So what are you guys sporting in 4.3 with the new Transmog?

I'm thinking about using this.

0aCoI.png

Jaladinozozo said:
Why is that? This is an opensource server whos code is available to anyone. There are no donations or money being exchanged, no for profit advertising to any other products or games, and everyone that runs this server and plays on this server has already purchased and paid in full for copies of the original WoW.

Except I'm pretty sure the WoW server code is not opensource.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jaladinozozo said:
It's a copyright infringement. The software you buy is a license, not sold.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_eula.html

The license granted to you is subject to the limitations set forth:

G. facilitate, create or maintain any unauthorized connection to the Game or the Service, including without limitation (a) any connection to any unauthorized server that emulates, or attempts to emulate, the Service; and (b) any connection using programs or tools not expressly approved by Blizzard; or

After a new patch, or if you delete the WTF folder, you have to click agree on the End User License Agreement and Terms of Use to play the game.

Miletius

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Ugh. Just doing some preliminary research on possible realms to transfer to.

My Requirements Are:

*** ~Top 50 or Higher on WoWProgress (as a contingency, in case things didn't work out - always will be more guilds/opportunities [better PUGs, higher chance of seeing GDKP, etc.) Both of the main servers I've played on are currently ranked below 100 (one closer to 200).

*** High Population (preferably 10,000+ on WoWProgress) - again, contingency - more people, more guilds, less likely need to transfer again if I end up dissatisfied with Guild X. Also, stronger economies.

*** Central or Pacific Time - I live in Central, so Eastern is out since that would force me to raid earlier in general, though an exception could be made. Central is perfectly fine, and Pacific I wouldn't mind since later raid times would be great if the raids themselves weren't too long. Mountain servers I rule out just since there are so few of them anyway (and maybe 1 fits my other criteria.)

*** Ideally a relatively balanced Horde/Alliance ratio, but I wouldn't mind being on a blowout realm (on the favored side) either.

*** PvP or PvE - doesn't matter to me much at all to me right now. If anything, I'd probably prefer PvP after primarily being on PvE realms.

Any Suggestions/Do any of you live on a server that would work for me?

Some of the ones I've been looking at are:

Korgath
Stormreaver
Kil'Jaeden

Horribly Imbalanced Populations
Illidan
Mal'Ganis
Blackrock
Cho'Gall
Area 52 (Eastern)

Edited for some formatting/clarity.

I am on A52. It's an Eastern Time Zone server, so it doesn't meet one of your criteria right there. There are a few late night guilds, but your options are limited. Assuming that you are Horde, it's a decent server to be in -- lots of activity, lots of guilds (although very few 25 man raiding guilds left). Prices in the AH are low, relatively speaking, so you can buy stuff for a decent amount.

The one thing about A52 is that there is very little organized PvP activity. There are only a few RBG groups, and even among those I've heard that you need to be well geared/know somebody to get in. There really isn't a great Arena presence either, so if you are looking for that go elsewhere.

TheYanger

Was on Mal'ganis for a year, and it's definitely the best server I've been on. ALWAYS groups to find and things to do. I'd assume the other high single faction pop servers are the same.

Azwethinkweiz said:
Except I'm pretty sure the WoW server code is not opensource.

DeathNote said:
It's a copyright infringement. The software you buy is a license, not sold.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_eula.html

After a new patch, or if you delete the WTF folder, you have to click agree on the End User License Agreement and Terms of Use to play the game.

Its not, this server and sourcecode is not a modified version of blizzards, it was build from the ground up as an opensource project. Also the server runs the 1.12.1 patch and client from 2004-2006 which no longer exists, either physically or in any contract or EULA.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Jaladinozozo said:
Its not, this server and sourcecode is not a modified version of blizzards, it was build from the ground up as an opensource project. Also the server runs the 1.12.1 patch and client from 2004-2006 which no longer exists, either physically or in any contract or EULA.
Does Blizzard Entertainment® allow or support other Battle.net® like or emulation servers? Can I host one of these rogue servers?

No. Except as set forth in the next paragraph, Blizzard Entertainment® does not support or condone network play of its games anywhere but Battle.net®. Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment® in the network feature of its games, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the game(s), use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of Blizzard Entertainment®.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/legal-faq.html
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/86205/private-servers

Oh my god. I just freed 40GB of space on my HD - had 2 copies of the PTR installed (one dating back to Wrath - it wanted to patch 3.3.5.)

So glorious.

Anyway - this means I still have to download a new full copy of the PTR (since neither wanted to work for 4.3), but hopefully it should go quick with ~45Mb/s Wi-Fi (although Steam was throttled to about 1.1Mb/s the other day - I don't know if that was just their servers or what though.)

If I can't log in on the PTR, I might be back in a bit asking for a Scroll of Resurrection.
Thread regulars only for that though, please. I know who you are!

I don't know why, but Fall gives me WoW cravings more than other times of the year.

They just detailed Guild Leader Replacement.

Sounds like a great feature that should have been here sooner. Dealing with GMs to resolve that kind of situation never worked well, if it worked at all. With guild levels, this sort of thing is all the more important (I still wonder if they'll ever nerf guild leveling).

I do wish they let you change guild names though, now that disbanding and starting up again isn't as viable due to the guild leveling system. For the types of situations where the guild collapses in on itself, but the remaining people want a fresh start to reinvent themselves. Even if it was for a fairly exorbitant fee, like 50k+ gold, and of course, a long cooldown (once every 3 months at the least).

Guild levels/achievements really are a boon, but a curse in some other ways.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
They just detailed Guild Leader Replacement.

Sounds like a great feature that should have been here sooner. Dealing with GMs to resolve that kind of situation never worked well, if it worked at all. With guild levels, this sort of thing is all the more important (I still wonder if they'll ever nerf guild leveling).

I do wish they let you change guild names though, now that disbanding and starting up again isn't as viable due to the guild leveling system. For the types of situations where the guild collapses in on itself, but the remaining people want a fresh start to reinvent themselves. Even if it was for a fairly exorbitant fee, like 50k+ gold, and of course, a long cooldown (once every 3 months at the least).

Guild levels/achievements really are a boon, but a curse in some other ways.
Depending upon the circumstances, a GM might do a "vanity" guild name change through a ticket.

Miletius

Why is this guild thing so controversial? There's like a 20 pager on the sticky. I guess it's because people believe that they "own" the guild because they contributed 10g to start it up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Miletius said:
Why is this guild thing so controversial? There's like a 20 pager on the sticky. I guess it's because people believe that they "own" the guild because they contributed 10g to start it up.
You're always free to kick everyone out if you want to keep it as a bank guild.

I'm still torn between whether LFR is going to be utter rubbish or bring back the fun that you used to get with having 10 and 25m on separate lockouts. They should really just scrap LFR for the next expansion and bring back the WLK raiding system, but don't award any VP for running the same boss in multiple modes.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well, the guild leadership transfer is pretty stupid in it's current form.

Less for the crappy GM, more for the highest ranked players.
If a guild leader’s character is inactive for 30 days, a notification will appear in the Guild News & Events feed which can only be seen by guild members who are eligible to become the new guild leader. To determine eligibility, the game will look for the highest ranked character in the guild that's logged on in the past week, and any guild member from that rank will be able to request guild leadership simply by clicking on the notification.

will transition leadership from the inactive guild leader to the first player to request leadership.
Let's say there are 10 council members. They should vote or something.

The first one of them that logs on after 30 days and requests to become the GM becomes it. It's like a rare spawn or beta code giveaway.

If that person who beat the others to become GM has become jaded, they can fuck everyone over.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm still torn between whether LFR is going to be utter rubbish or bring back the fun that you used to get with having 10 and 25m on separate lockouts. They should really just scrap LFR for the next expansion and bring back the WLK raiding system, but don't award any VP for running the same boss in multiple modes.

Pretty much how I feel. Again, it depends on how they tune the LFR difficulty. I couldn't tell you, but I have a gut feeling that it's not going to end well if you need anything more than warm bodies - even then, I'm not too confident.

I'd be willing to make a bet that it gets discontinued after 4.3 or within the next few patches. I just don't see it being viable or good for the game in the long term.

Separate lockouts for 10 and 25 were only a burden if you made it into one. I would probably say the old system offered greater flexibility than the one we have today. You do your 25s anywhere from Sunday-Thursday, and do 10s before or after the main raid, or on the weekends casually. I liked 10s for their ability to also be a lab to get some experience or experiment in before attempting the 25-man version.

Shared lockouts also mostly broke things like GDKP or other creative ways to run a raid that might work better for some people.

DeathNote said:
Well, the guild leadership transfer is pretty stupid in it's current form.

Less for the crappy GM, more for the highest ranked players.

Let's say there are 10 council members. They should vote or something.

The first one of them that logs on after 30 days and requests to become the GM becomes it. It's like a rare spawn or beta code giveaway.

If that person who beat the others to become GM has become jaded, they can fuck everyone over.

So what would you change? Have a checkbox or specific hierarchy of people where they would automatically get promoted to guild leader upon logging in after the absence? So you would number off (or otherwise) mark specific people for succession like how the system works in case the president dies.

That's the only solution I can think of at the moment that would be "better".

---

Upon further review, it seems that my proposed solution is something they're considering, but you can also do the same by just having a specific rank for the person you want as "Vice President" or whatever. The rank doesn't necessarily have to have more power than other officers or whatnot, just be higher in the guild interface.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there some kind of trick to tank Jan'alai in ZA and High Priestess Kilnara in ZG? They're the only 2 Zandalari bosses causing me trouble.

I don't know if its because my healers dont know how to manage their mana, or if i just do a terrible job with my warrior, but both fights always end with the healer being oom.

While, when i heal them with my holy paladin, i'm always over 50% mana when its over.

I don't get it, i grab 1 pack of panthers at a time for High Priestess Kilnara and proceed to the next when they're all dead, while attempting to interrupt her shadow spells if i can. And for Jan'alai i make sure not to stand on fire and grab as many mini dragonhawks as i can so they don't kill the healer or dps. Am i doing something wrong or do i only get mediocre healers or dps standing in shit and not managing their aggro?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Pretty much how I feel. Again, it depends on how they tune the LFR difficulty. I couldn't tell you, but I have a gut feeling that it's not going to end well if you need anything more than warm bodies - even then, I'm not too confident.

I'd be willing to make a bet that it gets discontinued after 4.3 or within the next few patches. I just don't see it being viable or good for the game in the long term.

Separate lockouts for 10 and 25 were only a burden if you made it into one. I would probably say the old system offered greater flexibility than the one we have today. You do your 25s anywhere from Sunday-Thursday, and do 10s before or after the main raid, or on the weekends casually. I liked 10s for their ability to also be a lab to get some experience or experiment in before attempting the 25-man version.

Shared lockouts also mostly broke things like GDKP or other creative ways to run a raid that might work better for some people.

So what would you change? Have a checkbox or specific hierarchy of people where they would automatically get promoted to guild leader upon logging in after the absence? So you would number off (or otherwise) mark specific people for succession like how the system works in case the president dies.

I'm not sure I agree with the concept that people give out that it's going to be totally impossible to do without messing with the mechanics.

In WLK we would PUG 25m raids with nothing more than Gearscore, and this worked like 90% of the time. A lot of people are vastly overstating the individual difficulty level involved in normal mode raiding, at least on the WLK level of difficulty.

Bisnic said:
Is there some kind of trick to tank Jan'alai in ZA and High Priestess Kilnara in ZG? They're the only 2 Zandalari bosses causing me trouble.

I don't know if its because my healers dont know how to manage their mana, or if i just do a terrible job with my warrior, but both fights always end with the healer being oom.

While, when i heal them with my holy paladin, i'm always over 50% mana when its over.

I don't get it, i grab 1 pack of panthers at a time for High Priestess Kilnara and proceed to the next when they're all dead, while attempting to interrupt her shadow spells if i can. And for Jan'alai i make sure not to stand on fire and grab as many mini dragonhawks as i can so they don't kill the healer or dps. Am i doing something wrong or do i only get mediocre healers or dps standing in shit and not managing their aggro?
I almost always get the Bear (which I never win) when I heal that, and in all frankness, I fucken suck at healing. Managing mana and selecting the proper heal is just an individual skill that has to be acquired with experience of when damage is coming in.

Both of those encounters do involve a lot of party damage coming in, but the key is really to just know when it's coming and actually use GoAK, or Divine Favor/Holy Radiance instead of just reactively spamming Flash of Light. When I first started out healing recently, I would spend a lot of time trying to keep mana high by spamming nothing but Holy Light, but then the problem is that damage just gets too high and you end up having to spam FoL, but the reality is that FoL is far more inefficient than Holy Radiance or Divine Light when they aren't overhealing.

My favorite is tanks who come in with a fuckload of stam but no mastery at all so they have a million health but take metric truckloads of damage.

TheYanger

Bisnic said:

Rather than interrupting shadowbolts, save your interrupts for Tears of Blood

Janalai that sounds right, I mean if people are getting hit by shit sure but as long as you're max melee on janalai so fire doesn't hit you...there's barely anything going on. If you've got cds you can kill all the hatchers and just pop all your cds and ae down all the dragons decently. shortens it a lot.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm not sure I agree with the concept that people give out that it's going to be totally impossible to do without messing with the mechanics.

In WLK we would PUG 25m raids with nothing more than Gearscore, and this worked like 90% of the time. A lot of people are vastly overstating the individual difficulty level involved in normal mode raiding, at least on the WLK level of difficulty.

Yeah, but that's people all on the same server. You have accountability (and probably Ventrilo/Mumble/Whatever your flavor of voice chat.)

It's easy to PUG things if you hand pick people - I've done it plenty of times. Random, as in dungeon finder random? I don't have as much confidence.

I can guarantee it won't work well, no matter what, early on in the patch (when people are less geared/experienced), but that's typical and bound to happen.

And are we talking Naxx, OS, ICC, what? There are varying levels of difficulty and coordination there. As well as time required - even in a good GDKP group, we only had time for a few meager attempts on 25 LK once. Other times you wouldn't get that far. (Same goes for Ulduar, and Naxx to an lesser extent.) The time requirement might just be a relic of longer raids though - which they seem to have moved away from.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Yeah, but that's people all on the same server. You have accountability (and probably Ventrilo/Mumble/Whatever your flavor of voice chat.)

It's easy to PUG things if you hand pick people - I've done it plenty of times. Random, as in dungeon finder random? I don't have as much confidence.

I can guarantee it won't work well, no matter what, early on in the patch (when people are less geared/experienced), but that's typical and bound to happen.
I'm saying that for the most part I had a pretty high success rate on 25m runs where the only real metric selected was having a gearscore over X.

Angry Grimace said:
I'm saying that for the most part I had a pretty high success rate on 25m runs where the only real metric selected was having a gearscore over X.

I think I'm just trying to say that Blizzard's standard metrics for the dungeon finder (which is all we have to base the raid finder on for now) are probably lower than what a preformed PUG would take.

If the dungeon finder takes people with a gear score of 5000+, I might only pick people with 6000+ (random numbers there).

I just have my doubts - we'll see how it is in action.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:

---

Upon further review, it seems that my proposed solution is something they're considering, but you can also do the same by just having a specific rank for the person you want as "Vice President" or whatever. The rank doesn't necessarily have to have more power than other officers or whatnot, just be higher in the guild interface.
Yeah, it seems like it wouldn't be too much work to have a UI to rank GM successors to make the roster better looking.

But let's say you don't or they are inactive and you have 5 people that can elect themselves for the slot if they sign in first.

First come first get just seems dumb to me.

Alucrid

Banned
TheYanger said:
Rather than interrupting shadowbolts, save your interrupts for Tears of Blood

Janalai that sounds right, I mean if people are getting hit by shit sure but as long as you're max melee on janalai so fire doesn't hit you...there's barely anything going on. If you've got cds you can kill all the hatchers and just pop all your cds and ae down all the dragons decently. shortens it a lot.

Going into Zandalaris with some Heroic T12 gear is hilarious.

I might try out some Cata normals for funsies.

Realms with no population balance at all actually seem to be some of the best to play on, assuming you're on the favored side. It's like having all of the benefits you'd get if a balanced server instantly doubled in population, but without some of the downsides.

Better economies, better recruiting pool (though realm transfers make this less of an issue). PvP doesn't require much balance anymore since it's all cross realm now (since classic, heh).

FLEABttn

Banned
Angry Grimace said:

This this this. Our 10 man guild would field 7-9 people and we'd pug the last 1-3 from some 25 man guild. Nobody was forced to do both 10 and 25 man versions of the raids. LTR is a pointless solution to a problem that was already solved back in 2008.

Angry Grimace

FLEABttn said:
This this this. Our 10 man guild would field 7-9 people and we'd pug the last 1-3 from some 25 man guild. Nobody was forced to do both 10 and 25 man versions of the raids. LTR is a pointless solution to a problem that was already solved back in 2008.
The biggest problem is that I think Blizzard didn't consider the underlying implications of the "problem" they were solving or the underlying implications of the "solution."

The idea, at least from what we've heard, was that they didn't like the idea that people felt "compelled" to run both 10 and 25m. But just combining the two lockouts was a Draconian solution because for the solution to make any sense you have to accept the premise that people had TOO MUCH to do; the problem is that I think the reality is that people probably didn't feel like there was too much raiding and mostly enjoyed being able to do both. The ultimate theory that you were somehow compelled to do both really lacked logical sense when you considered that 10m gear was about 1/2 a tier behind what you were pulling in 10m. The only part of that which made any sense in my opinion was badge farming, but that's an easy solution: don't give out valor points for the same boss on a different lockout of the same boss.

forrest

formerly nacire
Strafer said:
So what are you guys sporting in 4.3 with the new Transmog?

I'm thinking about using this.

WarlockSetPic.jpg

These are some looks I've been toying with. I think I'll end up running the Frostworn stuff once I get it all collected. I'm getting close :D The Demon Stalker set I have along with the weapons, but if they do bring back a lot of items that have been removed, then I'll change up the polearm on that one. Still not sure if I'll run with my cloak on though, I usually don't.

frostwornk8po.png

demonstalkerfkpj.png

Top Bottom