• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Our guild recruited people to become a 25 but they couldn't do their own 10 man pre-nerf. We split the core up a few nights, and they still sucked.

They spent a few months benched.

It'll make becoming a 25 man easier.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CarbonatedFalcon said:
What people are going to do is roll in with their full 25 or so, and just smash through the instance at least for the stopgap tier pieces so you can gear as many people as quickly as possible. It's going to be required raiding for anyone who wants to min-max, at least until they're on to heroic modes.
The only reason 10 was REALLY required was for Badge Farming.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
The only reason 10 was REALLY required was for Badge Farming.

Nah there was always some random piece of loot for half the specs that was bis from 10 mans, as well as set bonuses (you'd want to get bonuses early which meant running as much shit as you could to get tokens). That said, the current 'same loot' model partly solves it - you'd still be best off running it twice (more chances at the same loot, albeit a lower ilevel version) but you wouldn't HAVE to, you couldn't have anything bis from 10s that way, just good interim items for true min/max hardcore players. You would NOT be compelled to do them as anything else.

Hero

Mairu said:
Thanks for the out of date quote! Current tier content is easier on 10 man than 25 man, but you're welcome to go back even further to prove your point

My entire point was that the design philosophy for Cataclysm was that 10 mans were harder than their 25 man equivalents. Just because the quotation is old doesn't mean it's not true. You're completely braindead and only proving this by ignoring every other point. If 25 man was harder then why is it the only option for the LFR tool in the next patch?

Miletius

DeathNote said:
Anyone have a complete list of BIS PVP/PVE gems for every spec? I've been putting off making it myself.

You could raid the EJ boards and get it compiled in about 10-15 minutes I wager. For all warlock specs it's: use Brilliant Inferno Rubies unless the set bonus is super duper awesome (which is almost never is).

If it's worth it, use int/X hybrids. For yellow it's int/haste (reckless) or if you are demo int/mastery (artful) is a valid choice.

For blue int/hit is the only option.

I'm not sure what for pvp. I imagine you'd gem straight resilience unless you really needed the spell pen.

Mairu

Hero said:
My entire point was that the design philosophy for Cataclysm was that 10 mans were harder than their 25 man equivalents. Just because the quotation is old doesn't mean it's not true. You're completely braindead and only proving this by ignoring every other point. If 25 man was harder then why is it the only option for the LFR tool in the next patch?
My mistake that you're discussing philosophy and I'm discussing reality. I'll remember it next time you comment on current game trends that don't match what the designers originally intended!

Hero

Mairu said:
My mistake that you're discussing philosophy and I'm discussing reality. I'll remember it next time you comment on current game trends that don't match what the designers originally intended!

I like how you've managed to ignore my direct question to you twice now, how is that not discussing reality?

Hero said:
I like how you've managed to ignore my direct question to you twice now, how is that not discussing reality?

25 mans are objectively and definitely harder than 10 mans hands down. Just take a look at heroic progression pre-nerf comparing the two.

Mairu

Hero said:
I'm not going to discuss the logistics and difficulty of a raid that doesn't even exist yet but I don't think difficulty was their only concern when deciding between 25 and 10. Going with 25 over 10 makes it much easier for dps to queue for a raid. Considering that tanks are always the bottleneck in a 5 man and there's the same amount of tanks in a 10 and a 25 man raid it only makes sense to go with a 25 man raid over 10 to make it easier for the LFR raids to actually get formed without dps waiting forever.

strafer

WoW cosplayers

3173ba7e079a42ebd1eb7bbe8a1d0b7c.jpg

More here...

YakiSOBA

After level 20-ish, should I be concentrating on instances to level up fast?

In other news, I got my first mount for goblin... it's so crapper in contrast to all the epic dragon mounts in Ogrimmar I see flying around :p

YakiSOBA said:

In other news, I got my first mount for goblin... it's so crapper in contrast to all the epic dragon mounts in Ogrimmar I see flying around :p

Mix it up!
20-70 is very fast doing only dungeons! Really fast! And you get to learn some mechanics!
70-80 is too slow doing dungeons, since they are really short and it would take you a very long time this way. Do some quests! Blizz has announced that they will cut the XP need to get from 70 to 80 in 4.3!
80-85 you will need to do quests (nice boost on faction reputation) and dungeons (gear to let you get into heroic dungeons, zandalari heroics and the 4.3 dragon dungeons).

I wouldn't recommend doing dungeons to level up. There's some nice stuff happening, especially in remade Shadowfang Keep and Deadmines, but the old dungeons are mostly unchanged. Now, when you do quests you get the full "modern" WoW experience (as long as you stay out of Arathi or Silithus).

Doing dungeons over and over is for alts.

bunbun777

Angry Grimace said:
I don't get what's wrong with it.

Well if you defeat a boss and nothing drops that you need, then you defeat him again the same week and he does drop what you need, you are not eligible to roll on it. At least that is my understanding?

-edit: Imagine if you are ineligible to roll, but the only one in party that could actually use the item.

suzu

YakiSOBA said:

I spammed random dungeons mostly Lv15-50s, and then do a mix of dungeons and questing in the latter levels. Gaining exp is really fast though, so both options are fine.. but questing might be better for a first character~

You can buy other race mounts if you've got Exalted reputation with them. I suggest picking up some tabards from each of the Quartermasters (they are located near the city's flight masters), and equipping them while you run dungeons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
bunbun777 said:
Well if you defeat a boss and nothing drops that you need, then you defeat him again the same week and he does drop what you need, you are not eligible to roll on it. At least that is my understanding?

-edit: Imagine if you are ineligible to roll, but the only one in party that could actually use the item.
This is no different than any other raid in World of Warcraft.

bunbun777

Angry Grimace said:
This is no different than any other raid in World of Warcraft.

But every other raid has a lock out. If they removed the lock out why keep the loot unattainable? The Corin daily dungeon does not let you roll on items you already have, this seems to be more acceptable to me.

Alucrid

Banned
bunbun777 said:
But every other raid has a lock out. If they removed the lock out why keep the loot unattainable? The Corin daily dungeon does not let you roll on items you already have, this seems to be more acceptable to me.

Making it so that you only have the chance to gain loot once per boss per week makes it even with people doing it in non-dungeon finder raids. If this didn't exist what would be the point in doing it in anything but the raid finder? I imagine the idea to let you queue multiple times is to be able to progress more. Say if the first raid you're in downs the first boss, then gets nowhere, having you not be able to not enter again to go further sucks, but making you be able to loot a boss more than once would be unfair, so the simple solution is what they're doing. Yeah, it sucks if a piece drops that you can use but can't get, but you know that going in.

Corin does that because they're unique. The brewfest dungeon and raids are completely different beasts. Stupid analogy.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
Making it so that you only have the chance to gain loot once per boss per week makes it even with people doing it in non-dungeon finder raids. If this didn't exist what would be the point in doing it in anything but the raid finder? I imagine the idea to let you queue multiple times is to be able to progress more. Say if the first raid you're in downs the first boss, then gets nowhere, having you not be able to not enter again to go further sucks, but making you be able to loot a boss more than once would be unfair, so the simple solution is what they're doing. Yeah, it sucks if a piece drops that you can use but can't get, but you know that going in.

Corin does that because they're unique. The brewfest dungeon and raids are completely different beasts. Stupid analogy.
I just want to say pre-mades ARE/have to use the raid finder.
Just like pre-mades use any dungeon finder.

The issue is you don't want guilds to be forced to farm them over and over but at the same time people that run into issues that have to do them multiple times before getting the last few bosses are dealing with some B.S. since the philosophy has always been "if you can repeat the boss, loot. if you can only kill it once a week, no loot"

Alucrid

Banned
DeathNote said:
I just want to say pre-mades ARE/have to use the raid finder.

They do? That's...odd. Well, ok then, so I guess it still doesn't matter. Either everyone could get as much loot as they wanted or they do this.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
You could maybe lock people out of each boss and the dungeon finder puts them at the boss they need.

But, maybe it's so faceroll that they want noobs to practice.

I guess we just need to know how much time will sucky or unlucky people spend repeating bosses in it.

Having issues completing the raid and being trolled by RNG loot is not a good combo.

TheYanger

Hero said:

That was never the design philosophy, are you trying to troll here? the IDEA was that they would be equally hard. The REALITY is that 10 mans are jokecity easy in comparison. Neither of those lines up in any way with what you're saying.

Rokal

I'd think if your group fell apart on the fight 6/8, you would have problems finding 25 other people via the tool that were at the exact same progress and were also queue'ing. More likely, you'd run into problems where people down 1/8 and they get pulled into a group that is 7/8 because it's the only 'available' raid in queue for them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Alucrid said:
Oh, so 2h unholy dw frost? Hrmm ok, thanks. Is unholy now better than frost though?
1h Frost > 2h Unholy > 2h Frost>>>>>> 1h Unholy.
I haven't personally tested out how close they are to each other because I like 1h frost and don't want to reforge and etc.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Rokal said:
I'd think if your group fell apart on the fight 6/8, you would have problems finding 25 other people via the tool that were at the exact same progress and were also queue'ing. More likely, you'd run into problems where people down 1/8 and they get pulled into a group that is 7/8 because it's the only 'available' raid in queue for them.
In the introduction they say
The Raid Finder provides access to a new tier of difficulty, which in this case has split the raid into two wings, each containing four boss encounters.
They didn't straight out say it, but maybe you queue for 1-4 or 4-8 seprately, which would make repeating 1-3 bosses less annoying then potentially 7.

Dunlop

My concern with the raid finder is that the kindergardenness of FL is a sample of raids to come so the LFR tool will actually be viable

Downed Rag on the 2nd try tonight with the 5 guild alts I mentioned before and 4 completely new puggers,

I can now take a break until 4.3 hits

On the plus side I picked up the CE of rift in the steam daily deals and am totally loving it..that should wear off right around when 4.3 hits :p

So after playing around with ElvUI for a bit, I decided it's not for me. It's a decent skin, but it's all-encompassing. It does some things I don't necessarily want it to do, and it's not as granular in allowing adjustments as more specialized addons are. If you really want fine control (like I do), you'll have to go with a suite of various addons.

As I hopped on a lowbie alt on Illidan to mess with UI stuff without fear of messing up things for other characters (and to check AH prices and such), I noticed a strange blue glyph. Then I looked up and realized that the end event of the Legendary questline was going on - pretty cool.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there a way to lock all tabs in your chat window?

General wont drag if I lock it but I accidentally drag the other tabs a lot.

I have multiple tabs to filter out trade chat and such.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just made a pre-made hunter on the PTR and my mind is blown. Playing a pretty crappy geared Hunter. (it's my alt, so I only have two of the valor pieces) To playing a Firelands geared Hunter is night and day. I have so much Haste that I'm casting tons of stuff none-stop and getting Focus extremely quickly. Almost feels like I have Rapid Fire activated at all times. It felt so much better playing that pre-made that it almost felt like a completely different class.

Pollux

Einchy said:
Just made a pre-made hunter on the PTR and my mind is blown. Playing a pretty crappy geared Hunter. (it's my alt, so I only have two of the valor pieces) To playing a Firelands geared Hunter is night and day. I have so much Haste that I'm casting tons of stuff none-stop and getting Focus extremely quickly. Almost feels like I have Rapid Fire activated at all times. It felt so much better playing that pre-made that it almost felt like a completely different class.

How do you do a premade character? Am i missing something.....

C.Dark.DN

Banned
zmoney said:
How do you do a premade character? Am i missing something.....
"A test realm or test server is a realm made for trying out features in development for the next patch. Blizzard occasionally announces "Public Test Realms" or "PTRs" for players of World of Warcraft to test features."

"What is the point of character copies and pre-made characters?
Character copies and pre-made characters are a tool used by Blizzard to provide an adequate testing environment on the PTR. They are used at our discretion and will not always be available."

https://us.battle.net/account/management/download/
Public Test Realm Client (23gb)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/charcopy/character-copy.html

You can copy 4 of your live characters over and 4 pre-made 85's in epic gear of any class over.

Hey, I have a few questions on Rag 10 N.

1.Do you assign people to kill the sons? They are easy to kill in the first intermission, but I'm worried about the second when the tanks pick up scions and people run on the edges with the with blazing heat. You can't stand in place with blazing heat can you?
2.Do you usually have people stay on one side to wait for the seeds? If you do, all you do is run to the other side, stack on the front edge until the adds die unless there's a engulfing flames there, then spread out on that side and wait for seeds?
3.Haven't got to stage three. Any meteror tricks?

Rokal

half a moon said:
Hey, I have a few questions on Rag 10 N.

1.Do you assign people to kill the sons? They are easy to kill in the first intermission, but I'm worried about the second when the tanks pick up scions and people run on the edges with the with blazing heat. You can't stand in place with blazing heat can you?
2.Do you usually have people stay on one side to wait for the seeds? If you do, all you do is run to the other side, stack on the front edge until the adds die unless there's a engulfing flames there, then spread out on that side and wait for seeds?
3.Haven't got to stage three. Any meteror tricks?

1. We assign loosely. I.e. for 4/4 split, players x, y, z on left size, a, b, c on right. Only one person gets blazing heat so it's not a big deal as long as they aren't running in front of sons.

2. We have people stand on far sides and then converge in the middle.

4. Try to split raid evenly between sides, make sure at least one ranged dps is on each side to punt meteors when they get close to their side.

lordmrw

Strafer said:
So what are you guys sporting in 4.3 with the new Transmog?

I'm thinking about using this.

0aCoI.png

Ignore the tabard and weapons, the tabard isn't available in game and I haven't decided on weaons. I have most of the set already, the only annoying thing is the gloves and boots drop from either EOE or Naxxramas and no one on my server bothers with those anymore.

Dunlop

Rokal said:
1. We assign loosely. I.e. for 4/4 split, players x, y, z on left size, a, b, c on right. Only one person gets blazing heat so it's not a big deal as long as they aren't running in front of sons.

2. We have people stand on far sides and then converge in the middle.

4. Try to split raid evenly between sides, make sure at least one ranged dps is on each side to punt meteors when they get close to their side.

We did this except for:

2. Mark 2 opposing sides to converge after adds (first left) then run the opposing side once seeds pop

I think either way is fine, but the long run is more idiot proof if you are using non guildies

Alucrid

Banned
Now I remember why I quit WoW.

I have Dark Souls, Ico/Sotc and The Lion King sitting in front of me. I can't play any since I have to book then raid in a few hours til 1 am.

Still, heroic FL isn't going to beat itself. At least not until the next patch.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Latest PTR patch notes :

Zul'Gurub

Players now only have to kill two of the four initial dungeon bosses (High Priest Venoxis, Broodlord Mandokir, High Priestess Kilnara, and Zanzil) to face Jin’do the Godbreaker.

Zul'Aman

Players now only have to kill two of the four Troll avatars before they may face Hex Lord Malacrass.

Lol, talk about reducing the amount of time you'll play those. But then... who will want to play the troll heroics once the new 5 mans are out? Unless all five of them share the same random queue.

Top Bottom