• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

Tworak

Dunlop said:
I remember staying up all night i a AV, leaving for work and rejoining when I got back home

ah, good times

(ok maybe not)
pretty bad honour if I recall correctly but great fun. unless of course you were a healer and had 50+ guards and 10+ ram riders on your ass throughout the whole thing. the 10 horde versus 40 alliance ratio was fun, too!

still, good times. no, great times!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Tworak said:
pretty bad honour if I recall correctly but great fun. unless of course you were a healer and had 50+ guards and 10+ ram riders on your ass throughout the whole thing. the 10 horde versus 40 alliance ratio was fun, too!

It was fun when you could queue with an entire raid and steamroll the place. Most PvP grinders just went in there for the quick rep to exalted. Warriors with the Unstoppable Force.... :<

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Strafer said:
Oh Blizz.

9feKy.jpg
I find it kind of amusing they act like they don't like data mining when in reality it gets people pumped about the new patch.

TheYanger

Tworak said:

Old AV wouldn't do that. it would only let people in on a 1:1, it was literally impossible to get into a game on medivh for instance as alliance because there weren't enough horde queueing unless Ascent decided to queue as a guild (and get in as a guild, while you couldn't even queue with 2 people as ally and EVER get a pop).

Tworak

Entropia said:
Warriors with the Unstoppable Force.... :<
the knockback was great!

TheYanger said:
Old AV wouldn't do that. it would only let people in on a 1:1, it was literally impossible to get into a game on medivh for instance as alliance because there weren't enough horde queueing unless Ascent decided to queue as a guild (and get in as a guild, while you couldn't even queue with 2 people as ally and EVER get a pop).
uuhhh. if you say so.

So they just outlined that in the Raid Finder, Need before Greed will give a +100 to rolls of people flagged for a specific role for loot intended for them. It's certainly a better solution than the pure chaos that straight need before greed would be with 25 strangers, though as pointed out in the comments, it still has flaws.

Again, having to implement this kind of fix shows flaws in previously implemented "convenience" systems. Putting Disenchant on the same level as Greed completely ruins Greed as an option if you actually want the gear for an offspec or whatever, but aren't in the role at the time. Settling a dispute is easy enough (or the loot is simply inconsequential compared to raids) in 5-mans, even with random people. At most, you're likely only dealing with one or two other people who would have any interest in the loot at all. The problem balloons with 25 random people who have less accountability.

Using a trusted master looter, who is at risk of losing reputation if he fails to uphold the contract between him and the other raiders, is certainly the best way to raid when dealing with people on your server - even if you are basically still just doing need before greed. That doesn't work cross-server though, obviously.

The only other thing I want to touch on is that having to further differentiate gear (we already had the mastery bonus locking you into an armor type) for the purposes could be considered dumbing the game down, making gear less meaningful since you will have fewer choices. Protecting the idiots from themselves I guess, if Warriors and DKs couldn't roll on Spell Plate - so not necessarily a bad thing. Though I do worry that it will be too limiting and prevent some creative gearing strategies - again this is probably not a big deal since the "real" gear/progression will still be with guilds and not in the raid finder, so you can do whatever there to be most effective.

Still, it's kind of an ominous sign - we're already sort of seeing WoW transition from a lobby/server based game, to a matchmade game. For all the benefits of matchmaking, it's a deathtouch to the soul of an MMO - the social aspect. WoW is just as much about interaction and overcoming social challenges as it is raid bosses (to me at least, and I think a great deal of other people). I hope Blizzard doesn't forget that.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
I find it kind of amusing they act like they don't like data mining when in reality it gets people pumped about the new patch.

PR guys love data mining.

Customer service guys hate it because they have to fight misinformation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Again, having to implement this kind of fix shows flaws in previously implemented "convenience" systems. Putting Disenchant on the same level as Greed completely ruins Greed as an option if you actually want the gear for an offspec or whatever, but aren't in the role at the time. Settling a dispute is easy enough (or the loot is simply inconsequential compared to raids) in 5-mans, even with random people. At most, you're likely only dealing with one or two other people who would have any interest in the loot at all. The problem balloons with 25 random people who have less accountability.
That disenchant problem only happens if you're too shy to actually press Need for offspec when you know it's not an upgrade for anyone else. I will ask if I can roll need for offspec, but it's not an actual question, it's just a courtesy to make puggers believe I will defer to their judgment about whether they should shard usable gear at your expense so they can increase their shard count. I've had at least a couple people accuse me of greed for "taking [my] shards," but it's not an actual request when I ask since I will roll need anyways.

A great way Blizzard can troll is by putting down weapons with expertise and mastery on them, although the Death Strike change fixed that to a degree.

I actually didn't cringe when I saw the human!

Seriously, those look pretty good. The undead maybe needs a bit more decay in the face, but otherwise I like them. They're a bit more cel-shaded than current WoW though. That stuff is more like an HD WoW - it reminds me of the Dota 2 characters (which I guess is a compliment - the Dota 2 characters being upgraded WC3 models, and WoW being based off WC3)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
I actually didn't cringe when I saw the human!

Seriously, those look pretty good. The undead maybe needs a bit more decay in the face, but otherwise I like them. They're a bit more cel-shaded than current WoW though. That stuff is more like an HD WoW - it reminds me of the Dota 2 characters (which I guess is a compliment - the Dota 2 characters being upgraded WC3 models, and WoW being based off WC3)
Wow's already in HD, or above, depending upon your monitor.
Their CG is what they should shoot for in a wow sucessor.

SteveWD40

suzu said:
I wish Blizzard would update the old races' looks.

I am hoping to see something addressing this at Blizzcon. I know they can be lazy and still print money but it is pretty jarring when you switch from the amazing Worgen model to the 2004 Human model.

Really needs an update for the old races, some are worse than others (human males are pretty much the worst). I also would love a return to the Alpha feature where you could select body types, human Rogues and Mages being built like tanks is kinda weird.

Angry Grimace

I have no idea why Tyrande sounds like a troll, but they did get Aszhara's voice spot on. She sounds like such a snotty bitch :lol

Miletius

This is the second time I'm having the redo my UI in 2 weeks because of computer troubles. ARGH.

Power Auras is the only one that I'm really pissed about.

That's one of the more complex ones to redo if you use it for a lot of things and it gets completely wiped. Other ones are more simple. Unit frames (whatever your flavor) can also be pretty hard to redo.

Currently I want to redo my Bartender a bit, and I just added Masque (formerly ButtonFacade) and I'm trying to figure that out.

Also - I tried Skada for a couple days, and maybe it's just because I was so used to Recount, but Skada kind of sucks compared to Recount.

I don't know, coming back I'm just sort of in a phase where I want to test addons I never used before, or alternatives to the big names. I'm sure Deus Vox Encounters is great, but I'd still rather stick with DBM. Though I'm willing to experiment in other areas.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
That's one of the more complex ones to redo if you use it for a lot of things and it gets completely wiped. Other ones are more simple. Unit frames (whatever your flavor) can also be pretty hard to redo.

Currently I want to redo my Bartender a bit, and I just added Masque (formerly ButtonFacade) and I'm trying to figure that out.

Also - I tried Skada for a couple days, and maybe it's just because I was so used to Recount, but Skada kind of sucks compared to Recount.

I don't know, coming back I'm just sort of in a phase where I want to test addons I never used before, or alternatives to the big names. I'm sure Deus Vox Encounters is great, but I'd still rather stick with DBM. Though I'm willing to experiment in other areas.
The problem is that DBM doesn't do anything particularly poorly so I'm not really sure of how it could be improved in such a way that I would need to.

Also, Wrathion looks ridiculous. It's good to know they actually bothered to finish that Badlands questline (which frankly, should have been in Twilight Highlands since it's Cataclysm- plot important and happens for level 40 players.) I can only assume he's going to be Earthwarder after you kill Deathwing, since it would be utterly idiotic if Thrall was allowed to be the aspect.

From what I understand, DVE has a couple of features that may make it worth using over DBM, but like you said, it's not like DBM is particularly lacking. They both do the same thing anyway.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
From what I understand, DVE has a couple of features that may make it worth using over DBM, but like you said, it's not like DBM is particularly lacking. They both do the same thing anyway.
There's only so much it can tell you to do anyways, although I've never been particularly amused that most raids aren't actually possible without a boss mod.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
There's only so much it can tell you to do anyways, although I've never been particularly amused that most raids aren't actually possible without a boss mod.

wha? most bosses are perfectly doable without mods, now more than ever. Mods give you the edge you need to not fail as hard, sure, but almost anything necessary is completely telegraphed in some way or another these days. I'd be curious to hear what DOES need a mod in fact.

Miletius

The thing that really sucks about losing my power aura setup is all the neat little trick auras I set up for specific bosses. For example, shard stacks on Baleroc is one that I've had since I take stacks on shards on a regular basis. It's an ad-hoc process for me, so I've lost quite a few. I should have learned after last week's crash to export and place it on my cloud drive.

Recreating my regular setup (mostly dots on main target) is also very time consuming, since I've got a specific way that I really like it. It probably takes about twice as long to do that as it does to enable and setup every other addon in the game.

The Yanger said:
wha? most bosses are perfectly doable without mods, now more than ever. Mods give you the edge you need to not fail as hard, sure, but almost anything necessary is completely telegraphed in some way or another these days. I'd be curious to hear what DOES need a mod in fact.

I agree that DBM isn't needed for a lot of bosses nowadays, but it does make you play better, even if it isn't needed. It's more or less assumed that people who raid have something like DBM installed, so I guess we don't really know how people preform without it.

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
I haven't played without a Boss Mod in probably 3 years, so it's perfectly possible it's different than it used to be, but last I saw, this is not correct at all unless you're thinking of Punch Out.

Rokal

I did most of T11 without a boss mod when it was relevant. The base UI has come a long way in raid functionality. Actually, lots of the messages you may be assuming are from DBM (or another boss mod) are actually base UI messages/notifications.

The base UI and boss telegraphs are much better now, yes. There are some bosses where I would say it would be much more difficult without a boss mod. Certainly you would need many more attempts.

Things where timers, and knowing exactly when something spawns are critical. Not the more obvious "Bwargh, I'm using my kill if you don't use a tank cooldown or run the fuck away" abilities.

I haven't thought specifically about raid encounters in awhile though, so I can't think of anything in specific off the top of my head, but I know they exist.

The other thing would be important things to keep track of, like stacking buffs, that are much easier to notice when you have DBM warning you, or alter some other part of the UI to keep track (like using PowerAuras). They have tried to move these kinds of things to default elements, like the sound bar with Atramedes, or the corruption bar with Cho'Gall.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of the base UI, i've been using the default Raid UI recently for healing anything and it has been doing a decent job, but am i the only one that have some bugs with it? Like, i activated the "show class color", and sometimes when a new member join or when i join a new group, some of the people's health bar shows as a bright green color instead, and i have to go in the interface menu to fix this to the correct color.

But the most annoying one, which i mostly see in bgs or Tol Barads, is when people leave and new people join...sometimes new people are just invisible in the raid UI and the whole thing is fucked up, like clicking my health bar just dont select my character at all, and i have to reset the whole UI through the command /console reloadui. I hope Blizzard is aware of this and will fix it in 4.3.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
Speaking of the base UI, i've been using the default Raid UI recently for healing anything and it has been doing a decent job, but am i the only one that have some bugs with it? Like, i activated the "show class color", and sometimes when a new member join or when i join a new group, some of the people's health bar shows as a bright green color instead, and i have to go in the interface menu to fix this to the correct color.

But the most annoying one, which i mostly see in bgs or Tol Barads, is when people leave and new people join...sometimes new people are just invisible in the raid UI and the whole thing is fucked up, like clicking my health bar just dont select my character at all, and i have to reset the whole UI through the command /console reloadui. I hope Blizzard is aware of this and will fix it in 4.3.
The new base raid frames are just a shitty rip-off of GRID. If they spent time making GRID come in a usable package rather than requiring an hour's work to get it set up decently, then it would be a no-brainer.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
The new base raid frames are just a shitty rip-off of GRID. If they spent time making GRID come in a usable package rather than requiring an hour's work to get it set up decently, then it would be a no-brainer.

This. your issue is because it's a buggy piece of shit compared to actual grid, forcing yourself to use it is just an exercise in frustration - yeah it works mostly and it's WAY better than the old choices, but it's still miles behind any real mod.

Angry Grimace

My biggest problem with GRID is that while its awesome when it's set up, it's a Sisyphean ordeal trying to get anyone else to use it because it takes an hour to make it useful due to the fact it comes bone stock in a form that makes no sense; the fact it has virtually every option in the book means most people I tell to use it just say, "fuck this shit" immediately upon loading it and looking at the options menu.

So I made about 3-4k gold last night, and have another 700 or so waiting in the mail for me. Grrghghghg! I have the AH/Economy Itch again. Seeing a bunch of sold auctions in the mailbox is always an endorphin releaser.

Snagged one of the world drop meta cuts the other day for around 20g, and a Polymorph: Turtle tome for 200g (hoping to flip it for about 2k - I already had an older one that I was saving)

Interestingly enough, most of the gold I made was from clearing out stacks of Cataclysm fish I had stocked up in my storage guild bank. At over 200g a stack... So the profit was unusual since I didn't actually do any work - it was assets I had acquired through work before that were being liquidated into gold. Still felt good though.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
This is like Blizzard's own way of selling gold for money.
That, or it's the equivalent of the iPhone "I am rich" app to use both the mount and pet.

My transmogrify set for my Death Knight:

i01EX.png

Nothing particularly original, but I don't like huge weapons and I like class themed sets. I would go with full Tier 8, but I never got the shoulders back when Ulduar was around and I don't think trying a 25 man ulduar all the way through to Yogg-Saron and just hoping for the tokens to drop will be an exercise in fun. Not to mention I don't think the off set pieces ever were implemented.

(The sword is just the Horseman's Baleful Blade, which I like because it's standard enchant effect overrides razorice which looks terrible and overdone, and the offhand is just a level 20 Cruel Barb with Fallen Crusader)

What is the gold from gold-sellers going for these days?

I don't see the pet going for all that much, maybe 15k at the absolute high end. Otherwise anywhere between 5k-10k or so.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
What is the gold from gold-sellers going for these days?

I don't see the pet going for all that much, maybe 15k at the absolute high end. Otherwise anywhere between 5k-10k or so.
I'm too lazy to get my smart phone.

If I type "wow gold" into google I see 1$=1k and 9$=10k in the descriptions.

Bisnic

I was thinking of going with that with my rogue :
bktJn.png

I know T2, or recolored T2, isn't that much original for rogues, but it fits well with those daggers.

Tamanon

Banned
I'm honestly a little shocked there's been no leaking at all about the next expansion. Either everything's under a tight lid, or people actually care about an NDA for once.

Tamanon said:
I'm honestly a little shocked there's been no leaking at all about the next expansion. Either everything's under a tight lid, or people actually care about an NDA for once.
I'm surprised too. Hopefully something gets out soon.

Bisnic

I just hope that rumor a while ago of Pandaria is fake. There is nothing exciting about a world of talking pandas, and it sure won't help getting more players.

What i want i either the Emerald Dream or the homeland of the Burning Legion. Let's invade those bastards for once.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
I just hope that rumor a while ago of Pandaria is fake. There is nothing exciting about a world of talking pandas, and it sure won't help getting more players.

What i want i either the Emerald Dream or the homeland of the Burning Legion. Let's invade those bastards for once.
lol wrong

The homeland of the Legion is Argus. I strongly doubt that's a possibility until we get to the last expansion since there's nothing beyond that other than killing Sargeras. However, you'd be a fool to believe they aren't going to just re-use Kil'jaeden as an expansion endboss since he wasn't even supposed to be in TBC in the first place.

Anyone use the Accountant addon? I'm looking for something that tracks gold since it appears that the TitanPanel plugin that did so is broken (and I'm thinking about ditching TitanPanel.)

I installed the regular version - there's a "classic" version I may try as well (and a few other addons that also do this), but after installation, trying to pull up my map, it hides the UI (does what Alt-Z would.) Even if I bind the map button to something else, it still hides the UI.

Turning Accountant off immediately fixed the problem. There's a conflict somewhere, but I'm not sure where. It could be conflicting with some other addon(s), or there is some option that's screwing it up.

I'll have to check on a character with all other addons turned off to see what the deal is. If I can't fix it, I'll try the "classic" version, or something else.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Nothing particularly original, but I don't like huge weapons and I like class themed sets. I would go with full Tier 8, but I never got the shoulders back when Ulduar was around and I don't think trying a 25 man ulduar all the way through to Yogg-Saron and just hoping for the tokens to drop will be an exercise in fun. Not to mention I don't think the off set pieces ever were implemented.

(The sword is just the Horseman's Baleful Blade, which I like because it's standard enchant effect overrides razorice which looks terrible and overdone, and the offhand is just a level 20 Cruel Barb with Fallen Crusader)
There'd have to be good swords in 4.3 tho.

"Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)"

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
There'd have to be good swords in 4.3 tho.

"Weapons must be the same weapon type (exceptions: Guns, Crossbows, or Bows)"
Well, obviously I'll change it to something else when I change weapon type. There's only like 3 options, axe, mace and sword.

Given that I'm still using ZG weapons on my DK and not paying money to get Obsidian Cleavers or regularly raiding Firelands on my DK, I'll probably just use one of the two weapons on the PTR flagged for 4.3 5-mans, one of which is a sword.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Well, obviously I'll change it to something else when I change weapon type. There's only like 3 options, axe, mace and sword.

Given that I'm still using ZG weapons on my DK and not paying money to get Obsidian Cleavers or regularly raiding Firelands on my DK, I'll probably just use one of the two weapons on the PTR flagged for 4.3 5-mans, one of which is a sword.
Gurubashi Punishers are the better ZG weapons and have bee dirt cheap frequently for months.

And one is a mace on the PTR.

I'm just point out that saying it's "your DK transmog set" is short sighted and possibly not realizing the weapon restrictions.

Top Bottom