• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT3|

TheYanger

DeathNote said:
Gurubashi Punishers are the better ZG weapons and have bee dirt cheap frequently for months.

And one is a mace on the PTR.

I'm just point out that saying it's "your DK transmog set" is short sighted and possibly not realizing the weapon restrictions.

Easy enough to just nab 6 weapons you like and call it a day (1h 2h versions of mace sword axe) You can even use the same 1h weapon for both hands if you want to match, don't need to get multiples of it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TheYanger said:
Easy enough to just nab 6 weapons you like and call it a day (1h 2h versions of mace sword axe) You can even use the same 1h weapon for both hands if you want to match, don't need to get multiples of it.
Unless it has main hand restriction like that Horsemen's sword I want to use, but I wouldn't use two of the same unless I was being really unoriginal.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
DeathNote said:
Gurubashi Punishers are the better ZG weapons and have bee dirt cheap frequently for months.

And one is a mace on the PTR.

I'm just point out that saying it's "your DK transmog set" is short sighted and possibly not realizing the weapon restrictions.
Well, I figured we all knew about the weapon to weapon restriction; no offense, but it seems like argument for the sake of having an argument. What I didn't know was about the restriction of main hand weapons preventing you from using them as one-handers in your main hand. That's a bummer.

But, yeah, I'll just get some other weapons if I'm wearing a different weapon class. The Gurubashi Punishers are somewhat better, but it's an alt and the swords were free. The set has swords now because I'm wearing swords right now and unlikely to get an upgrade weapon before the patch with transmogrification is applied. I haven't found any maces or axes yet, but I'll keep looking for them, but I do kind of prefer the look of swords.

TheYanger

Angry Grimace said:
Unless it has main hand restriction like that Horsemen's sword I want to use, but I wouldn't use two of the same unless I was being really unoriginal.

If it has a mainhand restriction the odds of you being able to use it are extremely low. it has to match the hand requirements exactly. IE: mainhand cannot be used on a one handed weapon in your main hand. Similarly, if you actually DO have a mainhand/offhand set, you need an offhand only to transmute for your second sword.

I love the dig at using the same thing being unoriginal though, more like some people don't like looking fucking stupid with mismatched weapons? Obviously yours match because you think 'generic as fuck' is cool so nobody would even notice the difference, but since you're trying to turn a helpful tip into a douchey comeback I'll just settle for the joy that your much desired transmog sword won't work at all (Since all of the ZG swords [and in fact damn near EVERY 1h weapon] is One-Handed).

Angry Grimace

TheYanger said:
If it has a mainhand restriction the odds of you being able to use it are extremely low. it has to match the hand requirements exactly. IE: mainhand cannot be used on a one handed weapon in your main hand. Similarly, if you actually DO have a mainhand/offhand set, you need an offhand only to transmute for your second sword.

I love the dig at using the same thing being unoriginal though, more like some people don't like looking fucking stupid with mismatched weapons? Obviously yours match because you think 'generic as fuck' is cool so nobody would even notice the difference, but since you're trying to turn a helpful tip into a douchey comeback I'll just settle for the joy that your much desired transmog sword won't work at all (Since all of the ZG swords [and in fact damn near EVERY 1h weapon] is One-Handed).
At first, I had a response wondering how the hell you could have gotten offended at that reply or taken that response personally, but then I typed "TheYanger" into Google and let's just say it's pretty obvious that you're emotionally invested in World of Warcraft on a level I'm not going to get into, i.e. thousands of posts flipping the fuck out over petty Warcraft annoyances and using the word "retard" constantly. There's no point arguing with a misanthrope.

I will say it's disappointing that the restrictions are that literal. I do have several back-up options, including finishing Scimitar of the Sirrocco (which is the same basic idea, but requires me to get more Tol'vir artifacts, but I gave up archeology a while back).

Rokal

"Main hand" weapons can't be transmogged onto "one hand" weapons of the same type? Lame...

Glad I didn't waste my time trying to get the caster dagger out of ZA. I wouldn't have even been able to use it on my regular dagger.

Angry Grimace

Rokal said:
"Main hand" weapons can't be transmogged onto "one hand" weapons of the same type? Lame...

Glad I didn't waste my time trying to get the caster dagger out of ZA. I wouldn't have even been able to use it on my regular dagger.
Yeah, I figured it would be okay given that you're using in your main hand, but apparently not. Oh well.

The only main hand physical DPS sword that even has that restriction in this expansion so far is Stormwake, which isn't remotely decent by the time you get to 4.3.

Angry Grimace

How long was the last patch on the PTR? I'm wondering if they'll be able to get this out well in advance of SWTOR, or if this is going to be an almost simultaneous thing.

As for that Guardian Cub thing, I'm not sure I get it. You could sell it for gold, but what's the market on something like that going to be? It's just a companion pet (a freaky looking one at that) and likely to be overvalued in the AH/trade - at least the mount itself might be worth something. It sounds like a Blizzard scam to me in which they find a way to make you buy a lot of them since you actually get far less for your money since you now only get one, as opposed to infinite.

It seems more likely it's just a subterfuge; they really just want you to buy more pets for more characters.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
davepoobond said:
i think they're gonna release within the time frame of star wars.

They better not wait another 2 months before releasing 4.3 just for the sake of fighting Star Wars. Although that wouldn't be very surprising.

Rokal

It's in their best interest to release a week or two before SWTOR, so we'll probably see the patch in early December.

Angry Grimace

Rokal said:
It's in their best interest to release a week or two before SWTOR, so we'll probably see the patch in early December.
That jives with the timeframe we're familiar with anyways. I'm certainly going to be playing SWTOR myself, but the WoW patch does mean I won't be cancelling either.

ampere

Rokal said:
I hope it comes out after December because I want to finish my Dragonwrath before 4.3 :p

Rokal

Angry Grimace said:
That jives with the timeframe we're familiar with anyways. I'm certainly going to be playing SWTOR myself, but the WoW patch does mean I won't be cancelling either.

If they release it before SWTOR, I can see people staying subscribed to check the patch out even if they're checking out SWTOR. If the patch is good, they might retain those players.

If they release it after SWTOR, there is a pretty good chance that a lot of people will simply skip 4.3, choosing to play a new game with much more new content instead.

I'll be sticking around regardless of when it launches because of my raid group. If I wasn't already involved in raiding, the difference between releasing a week before SWTOR or a week after would be the difference between me being subscribed for another 4-5 months or quitting until the next expansion.

Bisnic

There's no chance that 4.3 will release after SWTOR considering it has been in the PTR for what, 2 weeks already? And SWTOR will release in december 20th. They have enough time to do all the testing before that date.

Angry Grimace

Bisnic said:
There's no chance that 4.3 will release after SWTOR considering it has been in the PTR for what, 2 weeks already? And SWTOR will release in december 20th. They have enough time to do all the testing before that date.
It's Blizzard. Soon.™

Rokal said:
If they release it before SWTOR, I can see people staying subscribed to check the patch out even if they're checking out SWTOR. If the patch is good, they might retain those players.

If they release it after SWTOR, there is a pretty good chance that a lot of people will simply skip 4.3, choosing to play a new game with much more new content instead.

I'll be sticking around regardless of when it launches because of my raid group. If I wasn't already involved in raiding, the difference between releasing a week before SWTOR or a week after would be the difference between me being subscribed for another 4-5 months or quitting until the next expansion.
Most people that bothered to come back for Firelands, etc. probably won't skip the last patch entirely, I would imagine. But yea, disappointing expansion for sure.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Well, I figured we all knew about the weapon to weapon restriction; no offense, but it seems like argument for the sake of having an argument. What I didn't know was about the restriction of main hand weapons preventing you from using them as one-handers in your main hand. That's a bummer.

But, yeah, I'll just get some other weapons if I'm wearing a different weapon class. The Gurubashi Punishers are somewhat better, but it's an alt and the swords were free. The set has swords now because I'm wearing swords right now and unlikely to get an upgrade weapon before the patch with transmogrification is applied. I haven't found any maces or axes yet, but I'll keep looking for them, but I do kind of prefer the look of swords.
Maybe it was an argument for the sake of having one, but it turns out you didn't know the main hand restriction. I'm not attacking your taste, I like the horseman sword, but my intention was for you and others not to have a rude awakening.

Killed Ragnaros on Heroic 10m last night. Took longer than expected, but still feels great.

Managed to get ko'gun off him. :) (Hand of Ragnaros was the other drop)

191-feels-goodman.jpg

Angry Grimace

DeathNote said:
Maybe it was an argument for the sake of having one, but it turns out you didn't know the main hand restriction. I'm not attacking your taste, I like the horseman sword, but my intention was for you and others not to have a rude awakening.
True, but that one was obviously less known since what's his face didn't know it either. I'm pretty sure everyone knew about the mace to mace thing. I guess I read the main hand restriction as saying you could only use it in your main hand, not as it only being moggable to other main hands :(

I just don't like weapons that look like like giant Cloud Strife weapons with bells and vendors attached to it. It looks ridiculous to me.

Miletius

MattPeters said:
Killed Ragnaros on Heroic 10m last night. Took longer than expected, but still feels great.

Managed to get ko'gun off him. :) (Hand of Ragnaros was the other drop)

Congrats! I'm hoping to kill him before 4.3.

Guys,
I've been away for a while (a lot actually but anyways) and I got this urge to level a character and experience most of the Cata low lvl stuff.

So I have a UD rogue lvl 30 something in Arathi and a lvl 13 BE Paladin in Barrens.

Basically it doesn't matter to me what char I play as long as it is fun and class isn't dead at 85 (like Pally Ret)

So do I start rogue from scratch (in other words did I miss a lot of the story already with lvl 30 rogue)
or do I start Warrior from scratch (always kinda wanted warrior but gear dependance was to great)

At 85 (have a mage and a lock there) I mostly PvP (badly) and farm for money.

Any ideas are welcome :)
Thank you for your time!

Heirloom a warrior to the balls and have at it. When you don't have to worry about where your next weapon is coming from warriors are a blast.

Number45

I can vouch for that on personal experience. In fact heirloom levelling pretty much any class is a huge amount of fun because you know you're going to be fine in most cases and don't have to worry about gear.

I'm thinking of starting up again soon, but on a new realm (I always start completely clean, although I sometimes transfer a character to get some cash if it's been tough on the new realm) - don't suppose we can transfer heirlooms from one realm to another yet (without paying for a transfer anyway)?

Rokal

It depends on your goal. If you want to get to 85 as fast as possible to participate in Catacylsm's extremely lackluster end-game, use heirlooms.

If you just want to level and enjoy the 1-60 remake, don't use heirlooms. The leveling curve from 1-60 is really fast now. With 0 experience boosts (no guild exp bonus, no gathering bonus from a profession or archaeology, no heirloom items) you will come very close to out-leveling zones before finishing the quest chain in that zone. With those bonuses? You'll out-level a zone (having only grey quests and enemies available) after doing about 10-15 quests.

It might sound awesome, but it's really not. When I leveled my druid with heirloom items, I barely got to scratch the surface of what new story a zone was trying to tell before I out-leveled the zone and was encouraged to move to the next. The problem is even worse if you do pvp or dungeons, which will also give you large amounts of experience. As soon as you get to 58/60, which really doesn't take very long at all with or without heirlooms, the only thing you have to look forward to is redoing outlands and northrend again. The 80-85 leveling experience is decent, but brief.

The new 1-60 questing is the highlight of the expansion, and I'd encourage not to blow through it as fast as possible. See the story of each zone that you do to the end, and without every enemy you fight being trivial and giving you no experience.

Using a heirloom weapon, on the other hand, isn't a bad suggestion. It doesn't give an experience boost, but it ensures that you'll always have a really good weapon without having to worry about where your upgrade is coming from.

Worth noting that all classes have gotten buffed pretty significantly at this point, and quest rewards and item stats have also been redone. While warriors have traditionally been a very 'gear dependent' class, you won't notice it while you're leveling. Upgrades that are itemized perfectly for you will come in at a steady stream, and you won't have issues with leveling content in any case with Cata balancing.

I don't have any heirlooms, can perhaps get one, maybe two.
But how about the "fun" factor between warr and rogue? How are they at 85, lackluster gear in pvp. I can imagine bad, but who does better right now?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Rogue isn't as fun to level IMO.

Endgame is subjective. Both are viable.

You could copy premades on the ptr and do dungeons with them.

RPGCrazied

Blizzcon is almost here. This year though I'm not getting the stream. I did do DirecTV for 2 years, and the stream once. Its all the same thing, and the info is available pretty soon after on the net. Plus the pet they keep giving is a reskinned murloc. Why not another mount? At $40, you'd think we get something cooler than a reskinned murloc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
RPGCrazied said:
Blizzcon is almost here. This year though I'm not getting the stream. I did do DirecTV for 2 years, and the stream once. Its all the same thing, and the info is available pretty soon after on the net. Plus the pet they keep giving is a reskinned murloc. Why not another mount? At $40, you'd think we get something cooler than a reskinned murloc.

You'd think for actually attending the convention they'd give us something more in game.

Though, getting the stuff like the lil Deathwing statue was pretty cool. This'll be my 5th Blizzcon...

Liferebooted said:
It makes most sense to release 4.3 a month after swtor comes out and everyone is done with their free 30 days.

January? Fuck no. It's dropping this year.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I want to buy the Blizzcon stream or not. Most of the information is readily available, but it's nice to see some of the other stuff you wouldn't see otherwise, and not have to worry about missing anything. The pet isn't really a big deal at all - it's not even that special or anything this year.

Miletius

I always say I'm going to get it this year, but I never end up doing so -- mostly because I end up doing stuff the weekend that it's held. This year is no exception.

One year I swear I'll go -- just haven't had the time yet.

Angry Grimace

CarbonatedFalcon said:
January? Fuck no. It's dropping this year.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I want to buy the Blizzcon stream or not. Most of the information is readily available, but it's nice to see some of the other stuff you wouldn't see otherwise, and not have to worry about missing anything. The pet isn't really a big deal at all - it's not even that special or anything this year.
It really needs to be a mount, not a pet. Pets are too small to even see unless they are mini-Rag, which is quite large. I still mostly use Onyxian Whelp as my companion pet because it amuses me it can fly next to your mount (most flying pets can though, as far as I know).

It's just too expensive considering MMO-C just reports the information within seconds of it being announced at Blizzcon.

I haven't played since February of 2010. (I quit before the first buff to Icecrown Citadel.)

I got a ten day trial to Cataclysm, which means that I can't level past 80, so there's no real point in playing the characters I had back then.

I seriously doubt I'll start playing full time, but I have a few days left with the trial.

I've done both the Goblin and Worgen starter zones already. Which other races should I be looking at?

Miletius

Edvardelis said:
I haven't played since February of 2010. (I quit before the first buff to Icecrown Citadel.)

I got a ten day trial to Cataclysm, which means that I can't level past 80, so there's no real point in playing the characters I had back then.

I seriously doubt I'll start playing full time, but I have a few days left with the trial.

I've done both the Goblin and Worgen starter zones already. Which other races should I be looking at?

Both Troll and Gnome were pretty revamped and enjoyable. I can't comment on any others, haven't done them yet. They aren't as full as Goblin/Worgen though, just about until level 10 offers a totally new experience.

Most of the zones even past the starter zones have been revamped so if you just want to continue playing your Goblin or Worgen that should be fine too. In particular, Azrasha is a new experience that you should check out on your Goblin.

Rokal

You can level to 80.99, so you still might want to check out a little bit of Vashj'ir or Hyjal on your level 80 chars.

Rokal said:
You can level to 80.99, so you still might want to check out a little bit of Vashj'ir or Hyjal on your level 80 chars.

I did, one zone on each character. Feels like more of the same.

Before I even went anywhere I had to redo my gear to figure out what needed to be junked, buy a bunch of glyphs, train up professions, etc, etc... made me remember why I quit in the first place. :-/

Miletius said:
Both Troll and Gnome were pretty revamped and enjoyable. I can't comment on any others, haven't done them yet. They aren't as full as Goblin/Worgen though, just about until level 10 offers a totally new experience.

I'll try Gnome and Troll, then.

Most of the zones even past the starter zones have been revamped so if you just want to continue playing your Goblin or Worgen that should be fine too. In particular, Azrasha is a new experience that you should check out on your Goblin.

Goblin's a Rogue (class I had the least prior experience with) so I might continue that.

Edit:
Seems like to continue the Worgen story I need to play as an Undead..?

Miletius

Edvardelis said:
Seems like to continue the Worgen story I need to play as an Undead..?

I think so.. Worgen story is gone after their starting zone. There are a few that pop up in random areas but for the most part the story does not go on.

Even Goblin story drops off after Azrasha, but most of the new zones have different storylines so it's all good.

Angry Grimace

I find heirloom leveling to be a lot less fun when you use the heirloom weapons because it makes doing dungeons just grinding straight out because very few things give you a big boost in terms of your damage output if you already have a scaling weapon.

You know what I don't understand? Why the game doesn't have a tutorial mode to tell you how to effectively use abilities/heal in group settings and manage mana/keep threat and stay alive. While I know hardcore players or players who post on Gaming forums can just figure it out, it seems like it would help retain more players if more players felt like they were good at the game rather than just lost. I also don't understand why heals don't work as mouseover by default, at the very least as to unit frames.

Like, maybe you go to a training house every 20 levels or at max level and the game gives you a relatively in-depth tutorial on how to play your class to a moderate level. Also, there is no excuse at all to not have in-game recount, at LEAST as to your own character.

Angry Grimace said:
I find heirloom leveling to be a lot less fun when you use the heirloom weapons because it makes doing dungeons just grinding straight out because very few things give you a big boost in terms of your damage output if you already have a scaling weapon.

You know what I don't understand? Why the game doesn't have a tutorial mode to tell you how to effectively use abilities/heal in group settings and manage mana/keep threat and stay alive. While I know hardcore players or players who post on Gaming forums can just figure it out, it seems like it would help retain more players if more players felt like they were good at the game rather than just lost. I also don't understand why heals don't work as mouseover by default, at the very least as to unit frames.

Like, maybe you go to a training house every 20 levels or at max level and the game gives you a relatively in-depth tutorial on how to play your class to a moderate level. Also, there is no excuse at all to not have in-game recount, at LEAST as to your own character.

This is why I want heroic questing, or something similar that does bridge the gap and serves as a tutorial, or requires raid/dungeon skills that aren't otherwise taught. You place that after quests but before heroics or raids in terms of difficulty/reward and there would be less of a leap for less experienced people to get into the "real" endgame.

I don't mind teaching people how to raid most of the time, if that's what I'm expecting. But there's only so much you can do when you're behind your computer and they're behind theirs, however many miles away. It comes down to self-motivation/learning and sheer time/experience after a certain point. Before you hit that peak, you could probably teach most people to get to a level of competency though.

Rokam

So here's a work in progress for my transmog gear, still undecided if I want to show helm. Still waiting for it to drop as well as chest and belt. Real plate wearers use T1 Paladin reskin!

258m0qh.jpg

Angry Grimace

CJS5T.png

Second transmog Paladin set.

I got the idea for the base set from another forum (it's Furious Paladin PvP gear), but the offset pieces they had used (while matching better) were exceedingly difficult to obtain, so I substituted Heroic 25m plate gear for just base Redsteel crafting gear. The helm is the horseman's helm, which I don't actually have on my Paladin, so that only works if he manages to get one (which in all likelihood he won't).

YakiSOBA

Just turned 57 today, can't wait to hit 58 and experience TBC, WotLK, and beyond content for the first time :)

I must say, it's a pretty sweet experience playing vanilla WoW hardcore back in the days, and now coming back for the first time after all these years and starting fresh. Level 1-57 didn't take very long at all (no heirloom gear).

I do still have some questions though...

1) Are T1-T3 type gear still any good in modern-day WoW? Or should I skip it and just get gear from the outlands and beyond?

2) End-game gear, do people get it the typical way still? Run a raid, kill boss, hope boss drops helmet/leg/chest/etc piece of tier gear? I read something about a token system, but am a bit confused.

3) Where do we purchase pvp stuff with the honor we accumulate?

4) Are there any dungeons from dungeon finder that will drop purples?

:)

Bisnic

YakiSOBA said:
Just turned 57 today, can't wait to hit 58 and experience TBC, WotLK, and beyond content for the first time :)

I must say, it's a pretty sweet experience playing vanilla WoW hardcore back in the days, and now coming back for the first time after all these years and starting fresh. Level 1-57 didn't take very long at all (no heirloom gear).

I do still have some questions though...

1) Are T1-T3 type gear still any good in modern-day WoW? Or should I skip it and just get gear from the outlands and beyond?

2) End-game gear, do people get it the typical way still? Run a raid, kill boss, hope boss drops helmet/leg/chest/etc piece of tier gear? I read something about a token system, but am a bit confused.

3) Where do we purchase pvp stuff with the honor we accumulate?

4) Are there any dungeons from dungeon finder that will drop purples?

:)

1) Old Tier sets sucks now, you get better greens from later expansion's content.

2) Yes the "run a dungeon/raid and hope your loot drop" is still the same. The token system you're talking about is the justice/valor points i suppose, everytime you kill a boss in a heroic or raid you get points that you save for buying gear. Like 70(77 if in a guild with the proper level) justice points when you kill a heroic boss, and you need 1650 for a pair of gloves.

3) You purchase pvp stuff in SW/Org. SW is in the south part of Old town, can't say for Horde since i havent bought PVP gear in the updated version yet. I suppose its still in the same corner to the west part of the city.

4) Some low lvl dungeons do drop purples but its very rare. If you want guaranteed purple drops from the dungeon finder, you'll pretty much have to wait until you hit 85 and can queue for ZG/ZA. Old heroics from Outlands & Northrend drop purples, but they're worthless now and no one bother to do them other than lvl 85s soloing them for weapon/armor models and mounts.

Also, since its going to be your first time in Outlands, don't be surprised if you think the quality in quests is not as good. It's normal since it's the oldest content ingame right now(2007).

Bisnic said:
1) Old Tier sets sucks now, you get better greens from later expansion's content.

2) Yes the "run a dungeon/raid and hope your loot drop" is still the same. The token system you're talking about is the justice/valor points i suppose, everytime you kill a boss in a heroic or raid you get points that you save for buying gear. Like 70(77 if in a guild with the proper level) justice points when you kill a heroic boss, and you need 1650 for a pair of gloves.

3) You purchase pvp stuff in SW/Org. SW is in the south part of Old town, can't say for Horde since i havent bought PVP gear in the updated version yet. I suppose its still in the same corner to the west part of the city.

4) Some low lvl dungeons do drop purples but its very rare. If you want guaranteed purple drops from the dungeon finder, you'll pretty much have to wait until you hit 85 and can queue for ZG/ZA. Old heroics from Outlands & Northrend drop purples, but they're worthless now and no one bother to do them other than lvl 85s soloing them for weapon/armor models and mounts.

You still get tokens for shoulders and helms in non-heroic raids, and tokens for all set pieces in heroic raids.

Bisnic

Azwethinkweiz said:
You still get tokens for shoulders and helms in non-heroic raids, and tokens for all set pieces in heroic raids.

Yeah i know about these Tier tokens, but its not a very different system than hoping for an offset helm to drop from a raid boss. I'm sure he was talking about the justice/valor points system that wasn't there in the early years.

Top Bottom