• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

I don't think they really intended for reforging to be such a big deal... but in the face of the higher raid difficulty in Cata and the overwhelming lack of incentive to run heroics it suddenly became the most important way to hit caps and min/max, and everything just ballooned from there.

I don't like how much work goes into getting a new piece of gear now, but I also don't want to live in a world where I just *can't* use a weapon as a tank because it has crit on it. There's probably a happy medium that mostly involves removing a lot of the enchants that go on gear, but I can see that having a pretty big backlash.

I think hit/expertise/dodge/parry are going to be on the chopping block, and I'll bet they rework active mitigation to take crit into mind for tank classes that don't benefit from crit now. I just don't see them removing enchants/gemming because of the profession backlash.

And for all the vanilla/bc nostalgia, I do sincerely believe the community was at i's best in the vanilla days. But I'll fully admit to probably being blinded by nostalgia.

I have to rejigger most or all of my gear every time I get a new piece of gear. Past Naxx in WotLK, I never had to worry about that, ever.

You shouldn't have to if you're geared decently now but you do it because the option is there so of course you'll min/max. I just double-checked my stats and if I didn't reforge there'd be stat waste but I'd definitely be over both hit and expertise caps and I'd have more crit than I need. Do I need to reforge to be geared properly? Of course not because hit/exp is typically the main concern with reforging, after that it's just getting the best of your top two secondary stats. So take a look at your stats and see if you really need to reforge. No? Then remove all your reforging and you're back to where you want to be where reforging doesn't matter after you've built up a decent set of gear. I like having the option personally.

And I realize most people just use websites to tell them what to reforge to get the best values. I've only done that twice as usually I just eyeball it and get as close as possible or even flip stats around multiple times on a bunch of gear trying to get a good combination. The gold cost is minimal and I enjoy working out the math myself instead of having a site tell me exactly what gear to reforge to what.

Berodin, I agree that there's a lot that goes into gear and I miss some of the fun of getting a new gear drop in a raid and immediately equipping it. Opposite to what you say I'd like to see there be more enchants per slot that give more options. Instead I know I'll always do the same upgrades every time and that sort of makes things a little less interesting. Your way might be the best result by simply removing more of the enchants (like they've done with head enchants). If they could find out a way to simply make it more interesting in choosing enchants/gems I think that'd be the best solution. Meta gems have typically been one area where there wouldn't always be one clear winner for a gem as they'd have a second value to them that was given priority based on play style.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If it wasn't for hit and expertise, i would probably never bother to reforge every single piece of gear i have everytime i get an upgrade that makes my hit and expertise rating change. I would just reforge the new piece i got for haste/crit/mastery depending on what's better for my class and spec and be done with it.

I sooo want these 2 stats to be gone for good next expansion.

FLEABttn

Banned
So take a look at your stats and see if you really need to reforge. No? Then remove all your reforging and you're back to where you want to be where reforging doesn't matter after you've built up a decent set of gear.

As long as reforging exists, reforging matters. It would certainly be an improvement if they did away with hit and expertise, because that way I'd only have to adjust the new piece of gear instead of everything, but even at that point, it would merely be a triply redundant system. How many stat modifying systems do we really need in game?

Sciz

So I'm leveling up my BM Monk right now, just chain-LFD tanking, and I seem to suck.

When I leveled my Paladin, I remember barely needing a healer in LFD except on megapulls and really difficult bosses. With the Monk, however, it just feels like I'm being eaten alive. The only difference is that my pally had full heirlooms (minus ring + new shield) and my Monk is missing an heirloom weapon.

Do Monks just suck leveling or am I doing something really wrong?

Once you get Brewmaster Training at 34, maintaining shuffle becomes your top priority. Before that, Guard should soak most incoming damage as long as you wait for a little vengeance before hitting it, and the 30% buff to self-healing it provides shouldn't be underestimated either.

As long as reforging exists, reforging matters. It would certainly be an improvement if they did away with hit and expertise, because that way I'd only have to adjust the new piece of gear instead of everything, but even at that point, it would merely be a triply redundant system. How many stat modifying systems do we really need in game?

Naturally. Because you won't get your best stats without reforging. But you're asking for them to go back to having no reforging and you said that you have to reforge with every piece of gear. You really don't have to if you don't want to. And unless you're in a very serious heroic raiding guild nobody is going to care all that much if you're reforging your gear unless your under hit/exp caps, which you shouldn't be with gear appropriate for raiding.

So what I'm saying is that if you dislike reforging just ignore it. Since the system is there you're going to use it to min/max to prevent as much stat waste as possible but there's simply no reason you have to use it if you don't care to do so. You'll just go back to your preferred post-Naxx days of being accuracy capped and having stat waste.

Edit: And agreed that there's a couple too many options to alter stats on gear. When a single piece of gear can have four alterations (gem, enchant, reforge, upgrade) that's a bit silly. I honestly think the upgrade system is the worst of the bunch because it's the least in terms of giving options in that there are none. At least reforging you can choose between different stats, enchanting occasionally has a couple options based on what you're aiming for, and gemming is similar. Upgrades are just a boring valor dump that is required and a flat upgrade across the board. The only option comes into which piece of gear to upgrade before others. Nothing exciting there.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So, just wtf is item squish? And should I be worried?

If you took at the best item from last expansion and looked at the best item in that slot from this expansion you'd notice the stats increase exponentially.

Last expansion:
50 Sta
60 Str
25 Crit
10 Haste

New expansion:
175 Sta
195 Str
100 Crit
85 Haste

As you can see, a MASSIVE increase in the stats that were from the last expansion to now. So basically would happen is this:

Last Expansion:
5 sta
6 str
2 Crit
1 Haste

New Expansion:
17 Sta
19 Str
10 Crit
8 Haste

It's also to prevent "BIG NUMBERS" or just numbers getting bigger. If you also looked at Parses from Vanilla to WoW at end game:

Vanilla: (not sure I didn't raid back then)
Burning Crusade: 3000 DPS was considered like the bare minimum for doing SWP
Wrath: 12000 DPS
Cataclysm: 60000 DPS
Mists: Unknown at the moment, but if you're not doing like 150,000 DPS you look bad.

So with the item squish your numbers would look like this:

Burning Crusade: 300
Wrath: 1200
Cata: 6000
Mists: 15000

That's just doing it on a very linear scale - the actual values will adjust. I'm sure if they did an item squish at this moment, you'd probably see like 1500 DPS being your average good raider DPS.

And, I am all for this. I think the numbers as far as health/DPS numbers go has gotten silly.

Here's the blog post from Blizzard last year: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3885585

Finally got the Consort's Staff and got the 20 coins for the next quest which is to kill the sha of fear, I hope is a 100% drop to continue.

7 bosses. My 3 mogu runes for the week. All gold.

I fucking hate this game some times.

I'm on a 7 streak gold from heroic scenarios with my main and my alt is slowly surpassing her.

potam

Banned
Once you get Brewmaster Training at 34, maintaining shuffle becomes your top priority. Before that, Guard should soak most incoming damage as long as you wait for a little vengeance before hitting it, and the 30% buff to self-healing it provides shouldn't be underestimated either.

I guess I just suck, then. I haven't really been placing too much importance on shuffle. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

CassSept

Burning Crusade: 3000 DPS was considered like the bare minimum for doing SWP

Hell no, what are you smoking. Maybe after 3.0, but in the TBC proper 3000 was godly. Hell, I did 4/6 SWP and I think I saw few people max that broke even 2.5k, let alone 3k. 3000 is bonkers. I still have my screenshot when I broke 2000 on Brutallus for the first time as it was an incredible moment.

On the other hand, 12k dps for WotLK sounds rather on the low end of the scale. Later on the ICC buff distorts things, but on single-target fights I was nearing 10.5k-11k in TOC gear.

Anyway, disproportion between TBC and WotLK was huge but that was mostly to major debuff system change. The day 3.0 came out everybody's dps shot up by 50%.

But otherwise, good explanation :p

Do MSV1. One boss drops a Sigil. My 9th Sigil of Wisdom. (Have 13 power).
Do MSV2. All three bosses drop Sigils. Brings my total to 9 Wisdom 16 Power.

Hey whoever at Blizzard thought it would be cool and neat to be able to acquire more Sigils of a kind than the quest requires should go jump in front of a bus.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Isn't Blizzcon during November this year? Considering the last patch of MoP will probably launch before that month, it wouldn't be too surprising that they announce the next expansion at Gamescom, rather than wait 2 or 3 months after the launch of the last patch.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gamescom will probably be one of the two expansions, blizzcon the other. Announcing both at once might be seen as diluting the impact.

OtaQ

Neo Member
Would they announce the expansion at Gamescom, rather than Blizzcon?

I don´t know WHAT this will be. Actually I would like to post this as a own thread, but I do not have the right for it :(

That email is real, several german gaming websites got this email. Less talk about it.

I think this will be the new addon, but how you would understand:

An announcement which could put the cat among the pigeons, in the high skies, the burning hells and other dark places.

That lines is official Blizzard Entertainment PR-text.

Sciz

I guess I just suck, then. I haven't really been placing too much importance on shuffle. I'll check it out tonight when I get home.

It makes all the difference. 20% more avoidance, straight up, and then another 20% of what damage you do take pushed over to stagger. You don't have the armor that every other tank does, so shuffle is what makes the difference between whether or not you can tank at all. Once you've got that up, your other abilities are more than enough to keep you alive through anything.

CassSept

I'm guessing WoW expansion reveal would make sense. By 21th it will be 11 months since Pandaria launched, it will still be longer than we had to wait for any other expansion announcement.

They will probably want to reveal the new warchief themselves too, it would be quite anti-climactic if such a thing was to be revealed by datamining. And Garrosh will most likely be dead by the time BlizzCon comes.

Honestly, I kind of expected new expansion to be revealed on some special event before BlizzCon, late October sounded very late especially if they want to release it before Summer '14.

Edit: it does sound mighty related to Diablo though. Burning hells would make sense since next expansion is probably burning legion (would be very disappointing if it isn't), but heavens? Eh.

strafer

Why would they announce a WoW exp at Gamescon? Makes no sense.

EDIT:

Did they just patch something in on LIVE?

Qv3gsZN.jpg

Never seen Spell Damage and Healing before. Just noticed it right now.

CassSept

Schedule. BlizzCon is only in late October, that's awfully late if they were to announce it there. It's both much later than when they usually revealed them, shorter to it's release and by the time BlizzCon comes MoP's storyline will be finished. It would break the tradition, sure, but it does make quite some sense.

Spell Damage and Healing was always there, no?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Damage and healing used to be split..so they combined it..then resplit?

sqwarlock

So I found that if WoW locks up your system, and you're forced to reboot manually, everything gets reset back to default. Logged in to find my graphics settings reset, my key bindings, my interface, my addon options, etc. I'm glad that I had backed everything up a few days ago, or else I'd be looking at hours of studying screenshots to set everything back up.

CassSept

ah the good old days when rogues were easily the best dps in the game

TBC with glaives (they were op in Sunwell... not a single glaive dropped for my guild. So much dkp drama for nothing), 3.0 HAT, 3.3 muti before nerfs (we still owned on Halion), let's not act like rogues after vanilla were pushovers. We were pretty damn competitive in 3.1 and 3.2 too, I topped recount in these times a lot too.

Kenai

9/20 secrets. :(

Do those runestones drop as crappy as the secrets?

Yes and no. I think the rate might actually be about the same or only slightly worse, but since there's only 5 chances + 1 certain drop per week vs 12 shots it ends up being worse overall.

I went 3 weeks in a row only getting the one, then I went a few weeks in a row getting 2-3 and finally finished last week. Thankfully the final step in 5.4 sounds very easy.

Magnus

Part of me is super sad that a dungeon or raid can't ever really be a surprise in a game like this. I wish there were some way to walk into new PvE content totally unspoiled, but even by virtue of people chatting in the game and Blue messages on forums, everything is laid wide open. I'm still surprised they spilled the beans on SoO/Garrosh = Final Exp. Raid/Boss like a year ago.

Question: Are any new 5mans/Scenarios accompanying SoO the same way they accompanied ICC/3.3 and Dragon Soul/4.3?

Both sets of three 5-mans were very linear/guided/story-oriented in the manner might be appropriate for Scenarios now.

I guess the Scenarios introduced in 5.1/5.2 fill this gap now. They're a cool mechanic for guiding the story along. The story for Mists has actually been put together rather well and strung neatly through all the various PvE content. I just wish content was actually gated (I know, weird request) to force players to do it in the right order for storyline, at least the first time through per account. I found myself so confused doing raids or scenarios out of order and wondering what the hell everyone's motivation was.

sqwarlock

Garrosh testing right now on the PTR, 10m normal. Looks fun! Love the desecrated weapon graphics too.

Watching now, but I haven't read anything about the mechanics of the fight. All I know is that those desecrated weapons look like they're going to (but shouldn't because that's a very obvious "fire") kill many people in LFR.

EDIT: Holy balls, the pally tank was at around 850k dps for a while. He's currently around 660k and the next highest is a shaman at ~340k.

Watching now, but I haven't read anything about the mechanics of the fight. All I know is that those desecrated weapons look like they're going to (but shouldn't because that's a very obvious "fire") kill many people in LFR.

EDIT: Holy balls, the pally tank was at around 850k dps for a while. He's currently around 660k and the next highest is a shaman at ~340k.

The cone thing he spams in random directions when they're ported away to a temple. THAT's going to kill everyone on LFR, lol.

Kenai

Question: Are any new 5mans/Scenarios accompanying SoO the same way they accompanied ICC/3.3 and Dragon Soul/4.3?

No, the new thing is the Timeless Isle stuff. Only drops 496 gear, but you can use an item to upgrade things into the 530ish range.

Timeless Isle is pretty interesting, all things considered. I want to call it a sandbox zone but that's not quite right. There's tours and things, world bosses, a tough as nails pet tournament, and random Silver named mobs to kill and Silver named NPCs that sell rare things before quickly despawning. But there's not many quests that say "go here and do this" from a hub, you have to find a lot of it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom