• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

sqwarlock

No, the new thing is the Timeless Isle stuff. Only drops 496 gear, but you can use an item to upgrade things into the 530ish range.

Timeless Isle is pretty interesting, all things considered. I want to call it a sandbox zone but that's not quite right. There's tours and things, world bosses, a tough as nails pet tournament, and random Silver named mobs to kill and Silver named NPCs that sell rare things before quickly despawning. But there's not many quests that say "go here and do this" from a hub, you have to find a lot of it yourself.

It's more like a Guild Wars 2 zone than a sandbox, from what I've read about it. Haven't actually gone to the PTR to try it myself though.

Kenai

It's more like a Guild Wars 2 zone than a sandbox, from what I've read about it. Haven't actually gone to the PTR to try it myself though.

I haven't played GW2 (That plus WoW plus LoL would probably be a dangerous combo) but it feels like they are trying something really different from the norm.

It's also funny because a lot of people do not feel safe exploring the Isle even on their "geared" mains because there are a significant amount of aggressive mobs. Yet they only dropped 496 gear (until they added the upgrade item) and people were like "wut". The place has it's own currency that you get for doing things there, and that can be spend on loads (LOADS) of vanity items and some various gear.

The PTR has been fun because the world bosses there (spoilers)
The Four Celestials
are kind of janky right now and are capable of rampaging throughout the entire area killing innocent bystanders.

Being a pet fanatic myself, I was more interested in the Pet Tournament, that requires at least 30 max level pets to even enter (and you'll probably want more since at this time once you begin you are not allowed to heal at all until you give up or defeat every trainer back to back, and their number is in the double digits). I was surprised and happy to see some familiar faces among the pet trainers (spoilers) including
Lorewalker Cho, Taran Zhu, Blingatron, Sully (with Socks!) and Wrathion,
The PTR is weird about importing pet collections so you have to use the pets you are given, which made things interesting (and very difficult).

Cipherr

I wish it would have come with another 4 heroics. I think that would have been cool on top of everything else. But thats probably asking a bit much with all they have for 5.4 with the isle and all. For a change of pace, some 10 man heroic instances. Lol.

Kenai

I wish it would have come with another 4 heroics. I think that would have been cool on top of everything else. But thats probably asking a bit much with all they have for 5.4 with the isle and all. For a change of pace, some 10 man heroic instances. Lol.

Flexi Raid is probably taking up a lot of resources as well. My guild has a weird roster of folks so it's basically perfect for us, but we *just* got two solid 10 mans going (9/12) i think we'll be falling back to flexi on weekends when someone is gone, will be nice to do that instead of having to cancel.

RPGCrazied

Wow, thanks Wibble. I'm still speechless. All within 30 minutes from each other I aquire these beauties:

Wo_WScrn_Shot_073113_202438.jpg

Wo_WScrn_Shot_073113_202530.jpg

Lets do it again sometime! :p

Draxal

They've stated that heroics take up too much design space for the team they have, but they're also been hiring to fill out that team.

Now I'll bitch about Well of Eternity having more assets than Dragon Soul again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
They've stated that heroics take up too much design space for the team they have, but they're also been hiring to fill out that team.

Now I'll bitch about Well of Eternity having more assets than Dragon Soul again.

It's probably why MoP patches seems to release at a faster rate than past expansions. They're not making heroics anymore, just scenarios which reuse a bunch of already existing maps and assets.

Fjordson

Fuck, jealous of that Ony drake. Congrats man!

I am so addicted to mounts, it's gross. Running out to old instances by myself for mounts gets me more amped than almost anything else :lol

Wow, thanks Wibble. I'm still speechless. All within 30 minutes from each other I aquire these beauties:

Lets do it again sometime! :p

Well, don't really need to do it again as you already have the mounts but no problem helping as long as it's not something I actively solo for my own mount rolls. Malygos and TK I'll keep running solo, heh.

Still rather silly you were able to get Onyxia. When I offered to run there with you after OS25 my intent really was just so you could see the fight and get in the habit of soloing it yourself. But it worked out really well that you got the drake, heh.

I'm down to very few solo options now and still not getting what I want. They really need to drop these if they expect me to get 200 mounts. I have Alysrazor, TK, Malygos, and then the normals I can run plenty (Stonecore, Vortex Pinnacle, and Strat). Oh, and the daily heroic ZG where I still need the raptor. Only Alysrazor left for the raids this week but I told a friend I'd take him to get the Barrel Roll achievement. After those I'm left with metas, crafted ones to purchase, and...probably some oddball ones here and there. About time I switch to tailoring to get the three carpet mounts.

Slayerx

I am so mad right now. This is one of those times when I hate CRZ.

Wintergrasp showing as Horde controlled in Dalaran, go to Wintergrasp its Alliance controlled.......rinse and repeat same result....

To be fair, it's probably Dalaran that is in another phase not Wintergrasp, so it's mostly just giving me false hope instead screwing me with wrong phase. Still infuriating.

Hmm...why are they doing maintenance on a Thursday morning?

Don't they tend to do irregular maintenance when rolling out a new build onto PTR? I thought that happened recently and that was the reason for an off-day maintenance.

Or yeah, someone spilled coffee on the servers. All of them.

Berordn

Don't they tend to do irregular maintenance when rolling out a new build onto PTR? I thought that happened recently and that was the reason for an off-day maintenance.

Or yeah, someone spilled coffee on the servers. All of them.

Whenever there's backend changes coming in a patch (in this case virtual realms and the in-game store) they'll start updating the servers while the PTR is active so they can just flip the switch down the line.

Someone probably did spill coffee on everything though. They started early.

RPGCrazied

So jealous of the Ony mount. Just started trying for that, and I'm hoping it doesn't take too long.

Fuck, jealous of that Ony drake. Congrats man!

I am so addicted to mounts, it's gross. Running out to old instances by myself for mounts gets me more amped than almost anything else :lol

Hehe, I wasn't expecting it to drop, it has a pretty low drop rate. The twilight drake I knew we could probably do, since it always drops in 25man if you leave all drakes up, but thanks! I will ride this sucker every day for awhile. I guess now I should level up the little pet that matches the mount. :p

Tarazet

Slowly gearing up my Prot Paladin. I ran ToES with a pug and picked up the T14 head and shoulders. Found that, as I usually have, the Retribution pieces are infinitely better itemized for the spec than the Prot pieces are. Did they not recognize that folks were gemming Haste and shunning avoidance like the plague? It's ridiculous that my tank has the 2-piece DPS set bonuses from T14 and T15..

Berordn

Slowly gearing up my Prot Paladin. I ran ToES with a pug and picked up the T14 head and shoulders. Found that, as I usually have, the Retribution pieces are infinitely better itemized for the spec than the Prot pieces are. Did they not recognize that folks were gemming Haste and shunning avoidance like the plague? It's ridiculous that my tank has the 2-piece DPS set bonuses from T14 and T15..

They're taking steps to make avoidance more attractive... by making haste slightly less attractive.

They just really don't know what to do with the plate tanks in the long haul it seems.

mileS

Going to be realm changing my hunter main. The name was taken so I started going through my old favorites. Just for fun I decided to start thinking of the dumbest hunter names possible.

Bowowner

I am both impressed and extremely disappointed in myself...

FLEABttn

Banned
Going to be realm changing my hunter main. The name was taken so I started going through my old favorites. Just for fun I decided to start thinking of the dumbest hunter names possible.

Bowowner

I am both impressed and extremely disappointed in myself...

If it's of any consolation, my female draenei hunter name is Waggles.

mclem

As long as reforging exists, reforging matters. It would certainly be an improvement if they did away with hit and expertise, because that way I'd only have to adjust the new piece of gear instead of everything, but even at that point, it would merely be a triply redundant system. How many stat modifying systems do we really need in game?

I wonder how effective it'd be if you could only reforge an item *that you have upgraded* - given the cost behind upgrading, you wouldn't be able to reforge everything in your gear. It'd give an extra benefit to buying iLvls for your gear and open up a few more interesting choices for how to reforge ("I could reforge *this*, but it'll cost me valor to unlock that capability; perhaps it's best if I just reforge this other item that I already have upgraded. It won't max my gear, but it's enough")

FLEABttn

Banned
I wonder how effective it'd be if you could only reforge an item *that you have upgraded* - given the cost behind upgrading, you wouldn't be able to reforge everything in your gear. It'd give an extra benefit to buying iLvls for your gear and open up a few more interesting choices for how to reforge ("I could reforge *this*, but it'll cost me valor to unlock that capability; perhaps it's best if I just reforge this other item that I already have upgraded. It won't max my gear, but it's enough")

With the system as it is now, we'd go back to the hit/expertise game we used to play back in the day (which I personally didn't mind) with reforging being a stat bonus for, what I assume, is the high end. I'm not actually sure how popular upgrading is.

I dunno. I'd almost rather just have the game go back to the stat modifying systems we had in WotLK and TBC. Reforge and item upgrading seems like useless system bloat.

Ceebs

So I am at iLevel 480 now, is it safe to move on to the next raid tier in LFR or should I farm the previous for another week or so?

cdyhybrid

Got my Warlock from 70 to 80 in 2 nights even though I had work stuff and a raid. Not bad. Putting my mount farming on hold to push for 90.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still have no clue what the best way for a non-raider to get VP is. Right now, my idea is to queue for Scenario, Heroic LFD and LFR all at the same time since you'll immediately pop a Scenario, immediately pop a heroic at the end of the scenario, and generally pop an LFR right at the end of the heroic, so you don't spend time standing around or doing dailies.

I WILL GIVE YOU MY LEFT NUT FOR THE ONYXIAN MOUNT

I have Ashes of Al'ar and Onyxian Drake. Do I get the right and the left?

sqwarlock

I was reading the blue posts on MMO Champion about lore, and all it did was make me think more about what I'd really love to see.

I know it'd be as much work as making a brand new game, but what I wouldn't give for a huge lore update to WoW. Change the ENTIRE world to match the current lore. No more "time travel" while leveling would be especially nice.

ampere

I still have no clue what the best way for a non-raider to get VP is. Right now, my idea is to queue for Scenario, Heroic LFD and LFR all at the same time since you'll immediately pop a Scenario, immediately pop a heroic at the end of the scenario, and generally pop an LFR right at the end of the heroic, so you don't spend time standing around or doing dailies.

I have Ashes of Al'ar and Onyxian Drake. Do I get the right and the left?

Heroic Scenarios for sure. You do need a premade group, but you def don't have to be a raider to do them, and most of the timers for bonus VP aren't too bad. It's like 150 valor for the first run and 100 for the rest if you get the timer.

FLEABttn

Banned
Any alliance US currently on that could help me with A Change of Command? I can't solo it as a hunter and I can't find anyone else who wants to help.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Heroic Scenarios for sure. You do need a premade group, but you def don't have to be a raider to do them, and most of the timers for bonus VP aren't too bad. It's like 150 valor for the first run and 100 for the rest if you get the timer.

Yeah, I guess I should try to get a group for them?

Ultratech

Did a random Molten Core run last night and guess what dropped?

The left half of the Bindings of the Windseeker from Baron.

Now I just gotta convince Garr to give up his half and I'll be on my way to having a Thunderfury. :D

Cipherr

What its like waiting for Galleon to spawn on Stormrage.

fmRYjXAl.jpg

9Fwh716l.jpg

Lol, goddamn man. 3 raids, and people keep track of the spawn time estimates. So theres just a fucking pow wow (or in this case, a random unprovoked Mammoth train) at every spawn.

Shit is jokes. I love this server.

Ultratech

Did some BWL on my DK and my apparent luck continues.

Got 7 Elementium Ingots, the Draconic Avenger, and Ashkandi to drop.

Man, I forgot just how long Ashkandi is. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom