• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipse

Gotta love it when bosses drop 3 of the same tier tokens that aren't for your class. Forgot how much of a pain in the ass collecting transmog sets could be.

vocab

I need to take a break. I'm suffering from burnout. I came back to the game like 3-4 months ago, and went in hard. I just can't pace my self with mmo's for shit. It's either all in, or nothing.

Fjordson

I think I'm going to start the legendary cloak questline (have the first one in my questlog for a few weeks now). Probably won't end up finishing it, but we'll see how far I get.

I think I'm going to start the legendary cloak questline (have the first one in my questlog for a few weeks now). Probably won't end up finishing it, but we'll see how far I get.

most of the hard parts should be pretty dumbed down by the time 5.4 comes out. I know it's a lot faster now than each phase was when they first launched.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What its like waiting for Galleon to spawn on Stormrage.

fmRYjXAl.jpg

9Fwh716l.jpg

Lol, goddamn man. 3 raids, and people keep track of the spawn time estimates. So theres just a fucking pow wow (or in this case, a random unprovoked Mammoth train) at every spawn.

Shit is jokes. I love this server.
Hah, hah, hah, hah, hah.

Galleon...

Hah, hah, hah, hah, hah!

Whooter

What its like waiting for Galleon to spawn on Stormrage.

fmRYjXAl.jpg

9Fwh716l.jpg

Lol, goddamn man. 3 raids, and people keep track of the spawn time estimates. So theres just a fucking pow wow (or in this case, a random unprovoked Mammoth train) at every spawn.

Shit is jokes. I love this server.

That's hilarious. On my server (Perenolde-US) Galleon can stand around unmolested for hours at a time...

CassSept

ST BERNARD DOG PET!

Going to be realm changing my hunter main. The name was taken so I started going through my old favorites. Just for fun I decided to start thinking of the dumbest hunter names possible.

Bowowner

I am both impressed and extremely disappointed in myself...

Nice one. The stupidest characters I've made are of bad pun kind. Tauren Death Knight Moograine (the one I'm more proud of) and a beyond you're-trying-way-too-hard sort, Pandamonkium. Triple pun!

I was reading the blue posts on MMO Champion about lore, and all it did was make me think more about what I'd really love to see.

I know it'd be as much work as making a brand new game, but what I wouldn't give for a huge lore update to WoW. Change the ENTIRE world to match the current lore. No more "time travel" while leveling would be especially nice.

That was somewhat the point of Cata. How about no. It's a nice idea, but it's not one worth losing endgame over.

So, on the latest PTR push, a bunch of 'community members' got items named after them.

Nice, I love that they do this from time to time. I loved getting Aldriana's Gloves of Secrecy back in ICC.

sqwarlock

That was somewhat the point of Cata. How about no. It's a nice idea, but it's not one worth losing endgame over.

Yeah, I agree. Gameplay does take precedence, but when you read the recent novels and hear about all these things that we'll probably never see the results of in-game...well, as a lore-nerd it's a little sad, that's all.

cdyhybrid

Just hit Pandaria with my Warlock. Leveling as Demo, but probably going to switch to Destro when I hit 90, at least until I get UVLS. Does that plan for specs sound right?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
mmo-champ forums

LAWL

Cipherr

That's hilarious. On my server (Perenolde-US) Galleon can stand around unmolested for hours at a time...

The server lagged so bad on that kill once he spawned that there was no tank. At no point did the freaking guy ever attack any of us, he just sat there while we mashed our spells and his HP chunked down lol. All the skills you used took like 8 seconds to register. Sooooooooooo much lag.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Kinda hate how Iron Forge got totally forgotten.. ain't no one ever hang out in SW in the old days.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So you can only get Black Prince rep by killing mobs? Interesting. Time to get my old school farm on.

You generally get them as you do the daily quests that you'd be doing when the content was released.

To Honored was the Golden Lotus daily area
Honored -> Revered was the Domination Point daily area
Revered -> Exalted was the Isle of thunder daily area

strafer

There are some further changes to the RPPM system in development that we'd like to share with you. As you know, RPPM is something we've been doing a lot of iteration on, and we have another iteration that should be hitting the PTR soon:

As you may know, RPPM proc rates typically scale with haste. This was done because historically, attacking faster meant you had more chances to proc something, so got more procs, and we wanted to preserve that effect. However, most procs before RPPM were such that either their effect didn't also scale with haste, or their proc rate was predominantly limited by an ICD. Many of our RPPM effects thus far have had neither of these limitations, such that they effectively 'double-dipped' on haste, benefiting twice from it. In some extreme cases, the proc was designed such that they actually triple-dipped.
As RPPM effects have become more wide-spread and more impactful, this has caused a variety of problems. Primarily, it has skewed stat balances toward haste rather significantly. It's also a compounding problem where many of these procs stack multiplicatively with each other, causing insane burst when all of these procs go off together. That can be fun, but also raises the skill cap on your performance, and makes gearing choices more restricted to ones which stack together optimally.

For 5.4 we're going to change both new and existing RPPM procs to not double-dip on haste. Benefiting once from haste is fine and expected, but not twice. For example, suppose you have two hypothetical procs, Flamekissed and Villainy:
Flamekissed's proc rate scales with haste, and its effect says "Chance on hit: Deal 500 additional fire damage". This is fine, because only the proc rate scales with haste; the effect doesn't.
Villainy's proc rate also scales with haste, and its effect says "Chance on hit: +5000 Agility for 20sec." This is not fine, because both the proc rate and the proc effect scale with haste. The more haste you have, the more attacks you do in that 20sec period which benefit from the increased Agility.

If both the rate and effect of a proc scale with haste, we're going to remove the haste scaling from its proc rate. In these cases, we'll compensate for an expected amount of haste by increasing the base proc rate. For any procs whose effect does not scale with haste, their proc rate will continue to scale with haste as before. However, we're also revisiting the proc rate tuning on all existing procs that were made overbudget due to the addition of Unlucky Streak Prevention (which ends up increasing effective proc rate by 9%). These changes should bring RPPM procs back to being on-budget and tied with traditional ICD procs in value.

This will obviously have a noticeable effect on most players performance; don't panic. We're going to be adjusting damage/healing/tanking performance with these changes in mind.

These RPPM changes should make it to PTR soon, and you'll be able to find the exact changes to each such effect there. We now show RPPM proc rates in the tooltip of the effect, which should make it easy to find.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Poor SW, they haven't even repaired the park from Cata and now the whole docks are going to be cratered and on fire, sheesh.

At least, it will give a good excuse to go there, it seems like such a waste for a huge, mostly unused, dock like that.

Ceebs

So I started a Paladin alt to level as protection. Got to the dungeons and wtf has happened to leveling dungeon groups?

The party members insist on chain pulling multiple pulls together like they were in raid gear doing heroics still. In Shadowfang Keep I had to stop and yell at them that I do not have any of my AOE tanking abilities yet so if you keep doing that shit I am not taunting off you.

Zero real challenge here anymore. I remember when Deadmines was an hour long thing that could very easily wipe you when you pulled one to many mobs, and that was the beginner dungeon.

I guess I see why the LFR stuff at 90 is the way it is if this is how players have been trained to group up.

So I started a Paladin alt to level as protection. Got to the dungeons and wtf has happened to leveling dungeon groups?

The party members insist on chain pulling multiple pulls together like they were in raid gear doing heroics still. In Shadowfang Keep I had to stop and yell at them that I do not have any of my AOE tanking abilities yet so if you keep doing that shit I am not taunting off you.

Zero real challenge here anymore. I remember when Deadmines was an hour long thing that could very easily wipe you when you pulled one to many mobs, and that was the beginner dungeon.

I guess I see why the LFR stuff at 90 is the way it is if this is how players have been trained to group up.

This is common place with expansions that are near the end. Most players are geared so that dungeon chain pulls are remotely challenging and fast. Remember in the beginning it was about CC and paying attention, not so much now. LFG just adds to it, gear wise. Also don't forget, most players want to chain pull to get out of there faster so they can get their valor. Some, me included, cap valor in a day.

vocab

Yup, a lot of us remember that. All the dungeons are nerfed into oblivion. I remember when ZF was buggy, and hard as fuck. You wanna summon Gahz'rilla? Nah son, you better have that hammer from hinterlands to hit that gong. Oh, you didn't go through 50 elites to get the hammer? Well you anit ever seeing that boss.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I read the first four sentences and concluded that, let me guess, they're nerfing it. I got the two RPPM ones for my rogue and sometimes they'd go off at the same time as Dancing Steel and my Envenom would hit for like 275K even outside of Vendetta.

Ceebs

This is common place with expansions that are near the end. Most players are geared so that dungeon chain pulls are remotely challenging and fast. Remember in the beginning it was about CC and paying attention, not so much now. LFG just adds to it, gear wise. Also don't forget, most players want to chain pull to get out of there faster so they can get their valor. Some, me included, cap valor in a day.

These are leveling dungeons though, not heroics.

TimeKillr

In theory, the Mastery/Stam stacking build is the best one for survivability. In the real world, a geared Druid or Monk will be able to over-aggro you even without Vengeance. At the minimum you should go to Hit cap and 7.5% Expertise just so you can hold threat.

These are leveling dungeons though, not heroics.

The thing is, though...

Even if you don't have your AoE tanking abilities, it seriously doesn't matter. The leveling dungeons are so stupidly easy and tuned to be ridiculously non-threatening that you don't even need tanks in them (yet tanks do the most DPS in them by FAR). Hell I'm leveling a resto shaman and I'm dpsing for most of the encounters and throw out a heal once in a while and we're never in danger of anything. I've hit level 41 yesterday and it's still this way.

Wait till the healers got theirs zonal heals, most of the DPS goes suicidal and start pulling, slow tanking is gone just go running and start pulling like crazy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The thing is, though...

Even if you don't have your AoE tanking abilities, it seriously doesn't matter. The leveling dungeons are so stupidly easy and tuned to be ridiculously non-threatening that you don't even need tanks in them (yet tanks do the most DPS in them by FAR). Hell I'm leveling a resto shaman and I'm dpsing for most of the encounters and throw out a heal once in a while and we're never in danger of anything. I've hit level 41 yesterday and it's still this way.

Yeah, the only reason DPS pull like crazy in lvling dungeons isnt because they love to annoy the tanks, its because the dungeons are so fucking easy, especially with heirloom gear, that there is no need to worry about death even if they get hit. You have to blame Blizzard on this one for not making these dungeons that simple, or for making heirlooms that ridiculously OP.

Ceebs

Wait till the healers got theirs zonal heals, most of the DPS goes suicidal and start pulling, slow tanking is gone just go running and start pulling like crazy.

Did the BC dungeons get nerfed too? Please say no so I can laugh at all the dead DPS when I get to those.

Did the BC dungeons get nerfed too? Please say no so I can laugh at all the dead DPS when I get to those.

I don't believe they were but with all the different abilities we have now and way stats work and such they definitely aren't all that hard. Right before MoP I went and ran a couple dungeons as a Death Knight at around level 60-63 and you can blow right through them. I was really concerned and taking things a little slower since I hadn't tanked as a DK before but they were pulling extra stuff while I tried to be a bit more cautious and it made little difference as there was never any real risk of anyone dying.

ZenaxPure

No, the BC dungeons are the same, but, that doesn't mean things aren't different. You can get heirlooms for about half your equip slots and classes have been redesigned so many times at this point that the simple fact old dungeons like that haven't changed makes them pushovers. Especially by the time you get to BC dungeons because tanks are going to be doing crazy damage, if anything DPS is just dead weight the higher level you get into dungeons. A typical BC dungeon run as a tank involves pulling multiple packs at a time and AOEing them down, doing more damage than the DPS, and if they don't have heirlooms probably more damage than all of them combined.

Kenai

It's rare that any pre-MoP dungeon will take more than 20~ min, and that'd likely be due to the dungeon being a long walk rather than hard.

Heroic Scenarios/Challenge Modes at max level are where the legitimately difficult 3-5 man stuff is. Not impossible, but you need to be on top of things to get Gold or w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom