• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackage

For the next expansion they should open up the Siege of Ogrimmar raid areas to Orgrimmar proper and Dalaran to Stormwind floating overhead or close out by sea with a portal where the Druid district used to be...I can dream. :)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
For the next expansion they should open up the Siege of Ogrimmar raid areas to Orgrimmar proper and Dalaran to Stormwind floating overhead or close out by sea with a portal where the Druid district used to be...I can dream. :)

You are insane

Nugg

Havent played MoP since the first major patch...so about a year.

Where the fuck do I begin?

UGHHHHHHHHHH

Timeless Isle, no joke. Just hang out there, and purples will start raining. Work your way to the rest of the content from here.

What happens in my head: the underground stronghold from the SoO raid will become a full fledged underground city, used as the capital city for whatever new race The Dark Below expansion will bring to the Horde.
What happens in real life: there will be *at most* a lousy barricade preventing players from going there. Ragefire Chasm will be untouched.

mclem

Yesterday was a good day.

Last week we got our first Galakras and Iron Juggernaut, but we knew this week was going to be tough - we generally proceed at a leisurely pace, and it happened that yesterday looked like it was going to be effectively the only full raid day we could do this week due to various difficulties with attendance (I'm not able to make any more raids 'til next reset, now, for one thing). Even then, we were down our usual disc priest.

As such, I took a hard line with group makeup; our usual policy is to try to make sure that the more farmable early bosses are attended by the players who are a bit behind and need gear, but this time we went all-out with a progression group with the intent of trying to at least get Sha of Pride down in time, maybe Galakras at a pinch if we don't wipe too much.

Come raid end, we'd got a guild first kill of Dark Shamans.

(For the record: Once we'd hit on a reasonable slime strategy, it was a fairly easy kill, actually; two-tanked, not three. Our melee guy died early on, though, I'm not quite sure what to do with him during the slime phase.)

Tacitus_

(For the record: Once we'd hit on a reasonable slime strategy, it was a fairly easy kill, actually; two-tanked, not three. Our melee guy died early on, though, I'm not quite sure what to do with him during the slime phase.)

Tell him to stop stroking his epeen meters and stay away from the slimes. They do tick quite nasty aoe damage after all.

mclem

Tell him to stop stroking his epeen meters and stay away from the slimes. They do tick quite nasty aoe damage after all.

Well, yes, that's the obvious solution, but it does rather leave him redundant for a good, what, 25% of the fight after 60%? Was wondering if there was something useful he could do during that.

TimeKillr

Well, Nazgrim isn't all that. Prioritize adds - interrupt the heals from the shaman adds especially, kill banners when they pop up and don't DPS when he is in def stance. Ezpz

Well we managed to kill him last night (after 2 and a half hours lol).

Part of what kept us fucking over was the tank swap. That asswipe's cooldown on his sunder is all kinds of fucked up and doesn't really follow it's timers, so swapping at 3 stacks doesn't always work (sometimes we'd both have stacks when he'd sunder the 4th time, so we'd get an instant 20 rage, which often meant a War Song).

What we figured out is we're tanking him near the door but in the opposite corners. That way, when we taunt him, he has to walk towards the other tank, which lets us drop our stacks. It's stupid but it worked well.

That and realizing when we ended the 3rd berserker phase that he was at 19%, so we waited through the 3rd Defensive Stance and burned him down during the final Battle Stance when we got him down to 10%.

I don't think it's that hard of a fight, really. People just have to pay attention.

But something's weird with the loot on him, though. As a blood DK, I can equip STR 2-handed maces, and he drops one (which happens to be the best weapon for blood DKs in this tier) yet it's not listed on the drop table at all for DKs, which has me wondering if I can even get it from a seal. I'm notoriously unlucky with weapons during ToT I used the LFR Sha weapon from the previous tier until Lei Shen was unlocked, then I got his LFR weapon a few weeks in. The week before SoO, I finally got a weapon to drop (and it was a multi-boss weapon drop, too). So we'll see what happens here.

Tacitus_

Well, yes, that's the obvious solution, but it does rather leave him redundant for a good, what, 25% of the fight after 60%? Was wondering if there was something useful he could do during that.
Can't really say anything concrete. If he's attentive, he can dance around the slimes and focus on the boss, or try to dance around the slimes and attempt to aoe them, but if he's dying he's not up to that. The slimes spawn on the second tank, so you could pull the bosses a bit apart - not much so you can still cleave - but a bit so he can get some breathing room.

I don't think it's that hard of a fight, really. People just have to pay attention.

But something's weird with the loot on him, though. As a blood DK, I can equip STR 2-handed maces, and he drops one (which happens to be the best weapon for blood DKs in this tier) yet it's not listed on the drop table at all for DKs, which has me wondering if I can even get it from a seal. I'm notoriously unlucky with weapons during ToT I used the LFR Sha weapon from the previous tier until Lei Shen was unlocked, then I got his LFR weapon a few weeks in. The week before SoO, I finally got a weapon to drop (and it was a multi-boss weapon drop, too). So we'll see what happens here.

Yup. Pay attention and it's a kill. Don't pay attention (especially with the shamans) and you can let a kill slip away at the last moments. Not sure what's up with the weapon though. Our DK has the mace from it, but I can't remember if he got it normally or whether he rolled it with a coin. There have been some loot journal bugs, like warlocks couldn't roll the staff from Sha at first. We can now, but the fix didn't affect the loot table in the journal.

TimeKillr

Yup. Pay attention and it's a kill. Don't pay attention (especially with the shamans) and you can let a kill slip away at the last moments. Not sure what's up with the weapon though. Our DK has the mace from it, but I can't remember if he got it normally or whether he rolled it with a coin. There have been some loot journal bugs, like warlocks couldn't roll the staff from Sha at first. We can now, but the fix didn't affect the loot table in the journal.

Hopefully we'll be able to put Nazgrim on farm next week so we can go to Malkorok.

And for the weapon, I'll ask around. It might just be a bug.

Nugg

Yes, you should tell him to check around if you didn't forget to loot any crates of supply or anything, you know, to keep him busy.

Unfortunally, it sucks to be a melee on this fight, and there's not much you can do. I hear some people keep the two shamans far apart from each other, so if there's too many slimes around one, you can always go hit the other one. But we don't bother with that, and we just ask our melees to grab a book or something.

Bizazedo

We downed Thokk last night. Holy crap, we took way too long on what really should be an easy fight. That and we had some RNG issues. Him Fixating on the same guy twice in a row is no bueno.

Moved on to Siegecrafter, got him down to 34% before we ended the night. Tankwise (pride!) we had it down by the second or third pull. Seemed our main issue was people dying on the conveyor belt / not bursting shit down quick enough on the conveyor belt.

Or not dps'ng the crawler mines quick enough. Or both.

Soon, though.

Tacitus_

Yes, you should tell him to check around if you didn't forget to loot any crates of supply or anything, you know, to keep him busy.

Unfortunally, it sucks to be a melee on this fight, and there's not much you can do. I hear some people keep the two shamans far apart from each other, so if there's too many slimes around one, you can always go hit the other one. But we don't bother with that, and we just ask our melees to grab a book or something.

We just 3 tank it and stick our rogue to the boss who doesn't spawn the slimes.

mclem

Can't really say anything concrete. If he's attentive, he can dance around the slimes and focus on the boss, or try to dance around the slimes and attempt to aoe them, but if he's dying he's not up to that. The slimes spawn on the second tank, so you could pull the bosses a bit apart - not much so you can still cleave - but a bit so he can get some breathing room.

We actually started by separating the bosses, but given how mobile the fight was, quickly realised that there's a fundamental issue in that the ranged AOEers weren't good at realising where the slime target had moved *to* - you couldn't lock down a single location because there was always a danger it'd be occupied by something you don't really want to be standing near. Was much easier to just dump AOE directly on the tank pile, since the damage *we* take from the slimes isn't too punishing, particularly if they're dying as soon as they spawn.

TimeKillr

If we *were* to 3-tank it, the most likely candidate for the third tank role... would be the melee in question. Somewhat self-defeating!

Well yes and no.

The fight is MUCH MUCH easier if you 3-tank it, you just have to make sure that third tank is geared enough (you can technically put the lower geared tank on the girl and the 2 usual tanks on the dude, it's a bit easier to survive).

So it's not that self-defeating, it's giving him a purpose!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I was doing Flex with my guild last night, which I had never done, and one of the more aggressive guys in the guild started yelling at me on Galakras for not running behind the ranged ground in Phase 2 for Flame of Galakras. I'm not sure I understand why I would need to do that vs. just using Cloak of Shadows to avoid the damage; he was saying that it would wipe the raid if I let it hit me without running behind the ranged group.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I was doing Flex with my guild last night, which I had never done, and one of the more aggressive guys in the guild started yelling at me on Galakras for not running behind the ranged ground in Phase 2 for Flame of Galakras. I'm not sure I understand why I would need to do that vs. just using Cloak of Shadows to avoid the damage; he was saying that it would wipe the raid if I let it hit me without running behind the ranged group.

You were basically causing unnecessary raid-wide damage. If you pass it through everyone, it reduces the damage it does when it erupts.

Flames of Galakrond – Galakras spews the raw Flames of Galakrond at a random player. Each player through which it passes will suffer 30000 Fire damage every 1 second. However, each player it passes through will decrease the severity of the flames, reducing the damage it deals to subsequent players.When the ball of flame reaches its final destination it will erupt, inflicting 585000 to 615000 Fire damage to all players. This damage is also reduced in severity for each player that diminishes the Flame.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Flames of Galakrond – Galakras spews the raw Flames of Galakrond at a random player. Each player through which it passes will suffer 30000 Fire damage every 1 second. However, each player it passes through will decrease the severity of the flames, reducing the damage it deals to subsequent players.When the ball of flame reaches its final destination it will erupt, inflicting 585000 to 615000 Fire damage to all players. This damage is also reduced in severity for each player that diminishes the Flame.

Okay, that makes sense then - so the only purpose in its existence is to fuck with melee?

Angry Grimace

It's not really anti anything, your entire raid should just be stacked on the dragon's ass. You only have to move a small bit then.

Yeah, I couldn't even see where the ranged "group" even was. Someone said to stack so I just kind of stood where everyone else was; I got invited to tag along like 10-20 minutes before they went out, so I only had a cursory understanding of all the mechanics of each fight (at least in how they differ from regular ol' LFR). I suppose I would have felt bad if we hadn't died like 3 times before that to completely avoidable mistakes.

mclem

Well yes and no.

The fight is MUCH MUCH easier if you 3-tank it, you just have to make sure that third tank is geared enough (you can technically put the lower geared tank on the girl and the 2 usual tanks on the dude, it's a bit easier to survive).

So it's not that self-defeating, it's giving him a purpose!

Hardly! That strat gives you an extremely easy kill as a bonus.

I may regret saying this, given we've only killed it once, but... it really didn't feel all that hard with two tanks. Possibly we were just lucky in a few respects.

Besides, said tanky melee would be doing so on a different character, and he might get curmudgeonly about being left out of mainchar loot on a regular basis :)

It's not really anti anything, your entire raid should just be stacked on the dragon's ass. You only have to move a small bit then.
One small change which made a big difference in our first kills was to put our healers a bit further back from everyone else - that takes out their need to move (everyone just moves relative to them). Healing (well, anything, but in this case we're talking healing) on the move does seem tricky for our lot, so that solved some big issues.

Fjordson

Just had a flex group one shot Malk, but then wipe four times and dissolve on Spoils. I don't get people sometimes :lol Spoils feels so much easier than Malk, at least to me.

Ultratech

I hate the Spoils fight, mainly because I hate trash.

"Yo dawg, we heard you were tired of boss fights, so we gave you a timed fight against trash.
Oh yeah, and that trash summons even more trash and puts stuff all over the place.
Did I mentioned it was timed? Yeah, have fun!"

Yeah, Spoils kinda sucks.
Especially when somebody with bombs neglects to get out of the way or sets off a whole bunch of bombs all at once and insta-gibs a few people.

mclem

The bit I like about spoils is it's basically a fight all about chain-pulling. Now, I'm a cautious tank, I'll usually pull slowly to be on the safe side - but Spoils is all about overcoming that and figuring out a rate to pull at that's both safe and fast enough. It's possibly a much more interesting fight for the tanks than anyone else, but that's a pleasant change given so many other fights are the exact opposite.

I really like Spoils. Didn't think I would, as it's just about fighting trash. But the fight works very well imo. Galakras on the other hand, is probably the lamest fight in SoO imo.

zulfate

Leveling cooking is more annoying than I thought, but I'm finally 600 and got the +300 stat noodle cart =D

this is one of my biggest gripes with the game, of all the things blizzard has made easier they seem to have forgotten about professions. they're really fucking annoying nothing fucking fun about them lol. now that we level faster we cant keep up with the gathering crap and then forced to grind them out.

Ultratech

Y'all missed out on some fun last night!

Ultratech came and he got a few little upgrades from Flex! :D

Yup, it was pretty fun!

Managed to get the cooldown reduction trinket and a got a ring.
Also got that neck from Thok, but I already got a better one.

Flex has been pretty crap on giving me a weapon though. :|

RPGCrazied

Don't see a lore panel for WoW at Blizzcon. That is kind of a downer, unless they put it in with something else, but usually lore gets its own panel.

Don't see a lore panel for WoW at Blizzcon. That is kind of a downer, unless they put it in with something else, but usually lore gets its own panel.

untitled-2hvo6k.jpg

I think these are the droids you're looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom