• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.
They would never remove flight, not only because it would piss off a lot of players, but that would make a lot of mounts unusable or just silly if they did something to make them available in "no flight zones"(lol a dragon who can't fly)

I know it would never happen for a multitude of reasons, I just mean I'd be ok with there not being flight in the game. Like if I were to escape and travel back in time to make an alternate universe where the mechanic was never introduced =P

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The amount of people outraged over the item squish on other forums is staggering and pathetic. They aren't even embarrassed to admit that they need to see big numbers to enjoy the game.

If that means these idiots will leave the game, then I won't complain. It's like they want to see us 2 expansions later casting fireballs doing 13,425,423 damage.

mclem

Well, one thing to keep in mind is that WoD Heroic is going to be comparable in difficulty to current Normal. So sitting under-performers won't be THAT important unless they are a serious detriment to the raid

You don't know some of my guildies :)

Lovely people, like to raid with them, but they do have a frickin' magnetic attraction to fire.

mclem

I love the idea of delaying flight, and honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was completely removed >_>

Being confined to ground level makes questing a lot more involved. I voluntarily didn't purchase flight until I'd finished all of the first Pandaria zones, and I didn't regret that choice one bit.

That said, *once* you're through questing, I don't really see much point in restricting flight much beyond that. I'd be quite alright with them at *least* restricting it to 100, and I wouldn't particularly object to 6.1 either.

mclem

The amount of people outraged over the item squish on other forums is staggering and pathetic. They aren't even embarrassed to admit that they need to see big numbers to enjoy the game.

Strictly speaking, couldn't you just implement a "Multiply everything by 10" addon? Everyone wins!

If that means these idiots will leave the game, then I won't complain. It's like they want to see us 2 expansions later casting fireballs doing 13,425,423 damage.

To be honest, I really don't see the fuss about this either way. On the one hand, I don't see a point in complaining that the numbers are smaller if your actual output is proportionate to before, and on the other, I didn't really see a point in complaining that the numbers were so large.

They're just numbers. What they *mean* is what's important, and the meaning hasn't really changed.

Khezu

What about if Blizzard created one or two new servers with the gimmick that flying was always disabled everywhere other then in certain specific areas?

It doesn't seem like Blizzard want's to be creating new servers though.

The thing about flight (and mounts in general) is that it grew in power and accessibility over time, especially considering the price stagnation when gold has only inflated. It's not much of a grand expense anymore. Besides the fact that it's a single time sunk cost that anyone with a max level character has paid for by now. Even If leveling a character for the first time, you can pay for at least epic flight with just quest rewards on your way there.

I mean, I remember vividly at the time when I was leveling my first serious character back in early Wrath that I ground honor to get a PvP epic ground mount because it was easier than affording a "regular" one. This was when you needed the better mount to actually get the speed increase.

And lest we forget, basic flight used to just let you access that 3rd dimension at 60% move speed - slower than an epic ground mount. So it was a very end-game thing in BC to first get a basic flying mount, then be able to acquire an epic one and pay the training cost.

I think it was balanced enough through Wrath, but got out of control with Cata - the developers even admitting as much themselves with the limit again in Pandaria.

/oldmanyellsatcloud a bit, I know.

One solution, though it probably wouldn't be popular, might be to implement a tax or license system - where you pay X amount per Y timespan, and possibly be limited to certain zones, for the privelige of flight. Would serve as an effective gold sink too. Otherwise the mentioned idea of simply not permitting flight in Draenor until the first major content patch might not be bad.

Not sure what else you could do. It's a tough problem.

That's probably more than I intended to write about flight, but yeah, there you go.

mclem

I mean, I remember vividly at the time when I was leveling my first serious character back in early Wrath that I ground honor to get a PvP epic ground mount because it was easier than affording a "regular" one. This was when you needed the better mount to actually get the speed increase.

As a little aside, one of the things I'm proudest of us doing as a guild: After finding out about the flight changes (flight speed going from per-mount to being a one-time purchase, with anyone who had a fast mount getting the fast flying for free) we dropped ICC completely for a couple of weeks to try to get as many guildies as possible the achievement mount from Ulduar, giving them fast flight.

It was tight - done at the last minute - and one or two people missed out, but we must have got something like fifteen people who didn't have fast flying beforehand into the cutoff and saved them a huge chunk of gold.

You don't know some of my guildies :)

Lovely people, like to raid with them, but they do have a frickin' magnetic attraction to fire.

I laughed because this really described my guild experience after Wrath.

Like Robin64, I decided to hop on and knock out the first two LFRs yesterday for the first time (well, I actually did the last two bosses in the first one a couple of weeks ago but missed the first two when I queued that time). Wasn't a completely smooth run but it really wasn't bad compared to some of the stuff I've endured with people I knew. Elevator bosses, jumping INTO lava pits... they've done some whacky shit.

Seemed the hardest thing for people to grasp was on Nazgrim was to stop attacking him on defensive stance. He enraged the four times we started him because the DPS just couldn't stop attacking him. Finally downed him on the fourth try as I was one of five people left standing just unloading everything I had into him because I really didn't wanna do it again.

Also discovered that while warshamans were needed to go down, assassins were nearly as shitty as people are horrid either 1) paying attention to them or 2) kiting them. So if I saw one, I flared, tagged, and started slowing the fuck outta that guy cause I got tired of watching people die to them.

Those Dark Shamans were fun. So much shit to stay out of. *chuckles*

Managed to get a new neck, bow, cloak, and feet outta the deal. Still at a tiny 519 but it's something.

After I knock these LFRs out, I don't think I'll really go back and do them unless I'm invited to help out with people I know. I just haven't been in a raiding mode lately but I wanted to semi-experience the content at least once. I'll probably be that way until I max out in Warlords after getting the Loremaster of Draenor achievement.

mclem

Also discovered that while warshamans were needed to go down, assassins were nearly as shitty as people are horrid either 1) paying attention to them or 2) kiting them. So if I saw one, I flared, tagged, and started slowing the fuck outta that guy cause I got tired of watching people die to them.

Do you need to kite them? I thought the only truly lethal ability is a backstab, which they can't do if you turn to face them. That's what I instruct my lot to do, and we seem to do okay on Nazgrim normal.

Those Dark Shamans were fun. So much shit to stay out of. *chuckles*

Forget end-game bosses, the most overwhelmed I've ever felt as a tank was from Dark Shamans beyond 50% or so. We don't find it all that hard to kill - we got our first oneshot of the fight this week - but there's just So. Much. Going. On. I particularly like the bit where they say "Too much shit to deal with? Tough, buddy. BLOODLUST".

I lurk this thread pretty regularly & it always makes me want to sub back but after a while I remember that I don't have any time to play seriously and what I crave is TBC WoW, not what it is today.

I miss WoW lore so much. I should just read the books.

RPGCrazied

Decisions. With this free 90. Do I turn my 32 druid into 90, or make a priest and make it 90? Priest is the only class I don't have, but I just recently got a full set of heirlooms for him to use. Seems like a waste. My other lowest is 62, and I rather would not use it on a semi high level.

Ultratech

They would never remove flight, not only because it would piss off a lot of players, but that would make a lot of mounts unusable or just silly if they did something to make them available in "no flight zones"(lol a dragon who can't fly)

Never stopped the Feldrake. (Except only briefly in 5.4)

:lol yeah, I kinda agree.

What's interesting is Furor straight up said "one day she may do something terrible and we'll have to deal with it" in response to a question about Sylvanas during the lore panel.

Not sure if that meant Blizzard will have to deal with her and advance her story or the players will because she's becoming a full blown villain (probably the latter).

edit: and Dave Kosak said "there'll be some sort of reckoning". Sounds like she's gonna get taken out. Or at least cut down.

That would suck. Horde keeps losing their faction leaders... Makes no sense. Plus Sylvannas is awesome.

You cant still fly on silvermoon/Exodar right?

I hope this expansion actually modify those areas. I think even the gnomes have a different start.

TimeKillr

Forget end-game bosses, the most overwhelmed I've ever felt as a tank was from Dark Shamans beyond 50% or so. We don't find it all that hard to kill - we got our first oneshot of the fight this week - but there's just So. Much. Going. On. I particularly like the bit where they say "Too much shit to deal with? Tough, buddy. BLOODLUST".

Except if you 3-tank it, in which case it becomes a total joke :)

I'm actually feeling that the Dark Shaman fight is training for Malkorok in the "learn to stay away from shit" department, and that might be why my raid sucks hard at Malkorok - they haven't had to learn the hard way how to do Dark Shaman...

I've always been a casual when it comes to raiding (solo old content or LFR), and I'm finally going to check out SoO tonight.

How does WoWGAF rank it? Will I be bored or entertained?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've always been a casual when it comes to raiding (solo old content or LFR), and I'm finally going to check out SoO tonight.

How does WoWGAF rank it? Will I be bored or entertained?

Wing 1 is super easy in general, Wing 2 is a headache and too much trash, Wing 3 is ok, Wing 4 I haven't done much yet, but the goblin boss and Garrosh are interesting. Haven't fought the Paragons yet.

I hope this expansion actually modify those areas. I think even the gnomes have a different start.

There's literally no point in going back to Exodar or Silvermoon after you're over lvl 18-20, so there is no reason for Blizzard to waste any more time over there.

BearPawB

Banned
I...uh...just reactivated my account.

New xpac announcement got me maxed.

GF and I wand to switch servers, as the one both of us are on seems desolate. Any high pop servers worth moving to? none of us have any in-game connections anymore.

My warlock is 90...but i never did any end-game content. Is it still worth doing some of that stuff?

Or should i just causally level something else up. then potentially have 3 characters to 90 after the xpac (with the autoboost). ...hmm

Strictly speaking, couldn't you just implement a "Multiply everything by 10" addon? Everyone wins!

To be honest, I really don't see the fuss about this either way. On the one hand, I don't see a point in complaining that the numbers are smaller if your actual output is proportionate to before, and on the other, I didn't really see a point in complaining that the numbers were so large.

They're just numbers. What they *mean* is what's important, and the meaning hasn't really changed.

My understanding was the item squish had to happen due to the engine not being able to handle the large numbers.

Fjordson

Don't think it will happen. Some girl asked the lore panel if they were planning on pulling Silvermoon "out of 2007" and Chilton just gave a firm "no" in response.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You can tell WoD is gonna be a good expansion because the overworld map of Draenor is sexy.

800px-WorldMap-Draenor.png

Look at that piece. Totally evocative of Outland and brings back those BC good times memories, yet is clearly a very different place.

I'm pretty psyched to be leaving Azeroth again. It's funny how quickly my opinion went full 180 on this. I was watching blizzcon stream with baited breath, and my heart completely sank when I realized the leaks about Garrosh escaping and going to past Draenor were true. But by the end of Blizzcon I was totally gung-ho for it. Shits gonna be tiiiiiiight.

It won't. I forgot which panel it was but somebody asked about those areas being brought out of their separate instances and they said no.

Don't think it will happen. Some girl asked the lore panel if they were planning on pulling Silvermoon "out of 2007" and Chilton just gave a firm "no" in response.

Oh man that sucks but thats ok for the sake of new content

There's literally no point in going back to Exodar or Silvermoon after you're over lvl 18-20, so there is no reason for Blizzard to waste any more time over there.

I actually enjoy revisiting in silvermoon and give gold to small mages.

Also you have to revisit them for the special holiday missions i think like the flame holiday.

Mothman91

Downloaded the client the other day. Told myself I'll wait for my friend to fix his computer then we'll resub together, but fuck it. Probably gonna get a card on the way home later.

What's the fastest way to get geared for SoO? I think I was fully epic'd out from the raids that came with MoP. Left after the first major patch which was just another faction so I never got to do the thunderlord(?) raid. Any tips/tricks to gear myself out quickly?

Probably gonna just casually level my alts mostly, always liked just queuing for dungeons and leveling that way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I personally love the direction of the expansion because I love all the Outland stuff in WC3. It was my favorite part, and I'd love to see it executed as well as they executed Pandaria rather than how it was done in BC.

But I had to laugh thinking about people not wanting it to be Orc focused then you start the launcher and what do you see? Orc master race everywhere.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm also looking forward to black friday/cyber monday sales. I've been wanting to get around to building a new pc for months now, so it will be nice having a new beast primed to go when WoD launches. Gotta get dat SSD and current-gen intel cpu.

Marven

What's the fastest way to get geared for SoO? I think I was fully epic'd out from the raids that came with MoP. Left after the first major patch which was just another faction so I never got to do the thunderlord(?) raid. Any tips/tricks to gear myself out quickly?

Timeless Isle is your friend. Look for chests all around the isle to get 496 gear and be sure to do all the quests available. If you have a sub-476 weapon, you can buy one for 10k-20k timeless coins (currency that drops like candy on the isle and you earn from quests), with the former being for 1h weapons and latter for 2h.

I'd also suggest running the first ToT LFR once to get to friendly with the Shado-Pan Assault. This will allow you to buy all the 522 valor gear from them, with the most expensive item being 1,485 valor. I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything until you have at SoO LFR level gear.

Finally be sure to hit up the Celestials boss on the Isle for a chance at tier 16 pieces.

Mothman91

Timeless Isle is your friend. Look for chests all around the isle to get 496 gear and be sure to do all the quests available. If you have a sub-476 weapon, you can buy one for 10k-20k timeless coins (currency that drops like candy on the isle and you earn from quests), with the former being for 1h weapons and latter for 2h.

I'd also suggest running the first ToT LFR once to get to friendly with the Shado-Pan Assault. This will allow you to buy all the 522 valor gear from them, with the most expensive item being 1,485 valor. I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything until you have at SoO LFR level gear.

Finally be sure to hit up the Celestials boss on the Isle for a chance at tier 16 pieces.
Sounds easy in a way lol. Thanks a lot.

Marven

Sounds easy in a way lol. Thanks a lot.

No problem. And yea, it's a little easy but eh it's not so bad. Beats having to run every single LFR for months trying to get a high enough iLevel to queue for the last LFR.

Oh one last bit: If you have a lot of justice points or run enough things to get it, you can buy a 496 trinket from Operation: Shieldwall / Dominance Offensive. for 1,750 justice points. You only need to complete the initial quest to unlock the vendor and can buy the trinket.

Mothman91

No problem. And yea, it's a little easy but eh it's not so bad. Beats having to run every single LFR for months trying to get a high enough iLevel to queue for the last LFR.

Oh one last bit: If you have a lot of justice points or run enough things to get it, you can buy a 496 trinket from Operation: Shieldwall / Dominance Offensive. for 1,750 justice points. You only need to complete the initial quest to unlock the vendor and can buy the trinket.
Do they still convert valor into justice after every major patch? I remember them doing that at times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So as soon as you hit 90 you should just go to Timeless Isle instead of doing dungeons? I haven't gotten end-game since Ulduar

Jag

So as soon as you hit 90 you should just go to Timeless Isle instead of doing dungeons? I haven't gotten end-game since Ulduar

You can do both since dungeon runs are so fast, but the pieces you get from TI blow away anything from a dungeon. Actually, you should do the Daily Scenario since you can get higher level gear reward from it. People are usually spamming chat for groups.

Cipherr

I see that as an effect of Jeff Kaplan coming back. They're backtracking on a lot of dumb thing from WotLK and Cata (reforging, emphasis on hit and expertise, removing spell ranks). Feels pretty good.

Wait spell ranks? Can you all elaborate on this? I don't remember seeingf anything about spell ranks coming back.

JesseZao

Whats a hard to find pet for a hunter? The spirit beasts? I kinda want to get the spotted tiger from shlozar basin.

I activated my trial and was thinking about looking for a rare pet. Still had my fire turtle from cata when I last played. Probably won't be able to tame anything interesting from MoP, since I'm 85, though.

Alex

It always kinda shocks me how much people who play other MMOs seem to hate World of Warcraft.

Like I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIV, good game, some quirks and pretty limited content but still the only WoW-like I've been able to get into. Anyway, like 50% of the time I bring up WoW to make a quick reference to explain something (when WoW created so many of these concepts and has a high quality of life/polish, it happens) in that game (or any other MMO, really) someone gets furious.

Like I'm having a discussion with some people in XIV about the accuracy cap in XIV. Now, there's no gem system in this game (there's a take on it called Materia but its highly limited and only on crafted gear and quest gear, no real end game loot) no enchanting, no reforging and no talent system distribute any stats from it can be a bit of a pain with hard cap-style stats.

I express my lament about struggling with the cap and my desire for more systems to toy with it and instantly I get a: "What is reforging? Please don't let it be a WoW term..." followed by a bunch of other griping and bemoaning and it's just like...you're playing a fucking completely shameless WoW clone, get over yourself. I just don't understand the rivalry people feel with these games. Maybe I'm just gettin' too up there in years to care.

Tamanon

Banned
It always kinda shocks me how much people who play other MMOs seem to hate World of Warcraft.

Like I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIV, pretty good game, some quirks and pretty limited content but still the only WoW-like I've been able to get into. Anyway, like 50% of the time I bring up WoW to make a quick reference to explanation since things either spurred from WoW (and WoW has a high quality of life/polish that I appreciate) in that game...or any other MMO... someone gets furious.

Like I'm having a discussion with some people in XIV about the accuracy cap and in XIV there's no gem system (there's a take on it called Materia but its highly limited and only on crafted gear and quest gear, no real end game loot) and no reforging, etc.

So, instantly I get a: "What is reforging? Please don't let it be a WoW term..." followed by a bunch of other nonsense and it's just like...you're playing a fucking completely shameless WoW clone, get over yourself. I just don't understand the rivalry people feel with these games. Maybe I'm just gettin' too up there in years to care.

I think a lot of that is misplaced anger over the fact that they've lost players to WoW.

Or that they see it as a "kiddie" MMO, which seems to be a slightly more common outlook.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Like I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XIV, pretty good game, some quirks and pretty limited content but still the only WoW-like I've been able to get into. Anyway, like 50% of the time I bring up WoW to make a quick reference to explanation since things either spurred from WoW (and WoW has a high quality of life/polish that I appreciate) in that game...or any other MMO... someone gets furious.

Like I'm having a discussion with some people in XIV about the accuracy cap and in XIV there's no gem system (there's a take on it called Materia but its highly limited and only on crafted gear and quest gear, no real end game loot) and no reforging, talents system to pull out from, etc, so I express my lament about struggling with the cap and my desire for more systems to toy with it.

So, instantly I get a: "What is reforging? Please don't let it be a WoW term..." followed by a bunch of other nonsense and it's just like...you're playing a fucking completely shameless WoW clone, get over yourself. I just don't understand the rivalry people feel with these games. Maybe I'm just gettin' too up there in years to care.

I think a lot of that is misplaced anger over the fact that they've lost players to WoW.

Or that they see it as a "kiddie" MMO, which seems to be a slightly more common outlook.

I'd go with the latter of what Tamanon said. A lot of non-WoW MMO players think WoW is the casual, low-end MMO and the people that play it right now aren't really MMO players, etc.

Unghh, so tempted to reactivate right now after Blizzcon hype, but I can't really afford it at the moment.

Times like these when I wish WoW had a PLEX-like system, though it wouldn't work seamlessly without some changes to the current state of the game's economy.

I mean right now I have my main EVE account upped through February and an alt one through early December solely from in-game currency: with wealth to spare. And I haven't even made new money in 4-8 weeks now. If I had spent the time in-game, my subscriptions could be secured even longer, besides whatever shiny ships or things I might buy to fly around.

Alex

I'd go with the latter of what Tamanon said. A lot of non-WoW MMO players think WoW is the casual, low-end MMO and the people that play it right now aren't really MMO players, etc.

An amusing notion, I wish more MMOs had the quality and depth of WoW's end game then I'd actually feel like sticking around longer in more of them. =/

Rokam

Unghh, so tempted to reactivate right now after Blizzcon hype, but I can't really afford it at the moment.

Times like these when I wish WoW had a PLEX-like system, though it wouldn't work seamlessly without some changes to the current state of the game's economy.

I mean right now I have my main EVE account upped through February and an alt one through early December solely from in-game currency: with wealth to spare. And I haven't even made new money in 4-8 weeks now. If I had spent the time in-game, my subscriptions could be secured even longer, besides whatever shiny ships or things I might buy to fly around.

They should add a way to sell game time on the AH. Like how some of the pet store pets work. They're not losing out on subscription money, and those with extra cash can "buy gold" if you will, without having to resort to shady sites.

Do you need to kite them? I thought the only truly lethal ability is a backstab, which they can't do if you turn to face them. That's what I instruct my lot to do, and we seem to do okay on Nazgrim normal.

Ah... so that's probably what was causing them to take extra damage. I didn't notice that. I'll make sure to mention it the next time if I go in there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom