• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

Mythic difficulty is meant to replace heroic 25 man raiding as the cutting edge of PvE content.

People hate it because it destroys guilds that have so far been at that edge of content with a meticulously groomed roster of 10 or 25 people as it is.

Yup. Especially bad for EU guilds that keep to a single language (like mine).

Fjordson

So they are removing 25m heroic mode? How about 10m heroic, that also?
Top end PvE is now only 20 man mythic. That's it.

PN7ZTE8EMVF71383582152086.png

Going to be a difficult adjustment period I think for lots of guilds, but it makes sense in the end to have one unified size for top end content. People will get used to it eventually, just like the even more dramatic shift from 40 to 25.

Mothman91

Top end PvE is now only 20 man mythic. That's it.

PN7ZTE8EMVF71383582152086.png

Going to be a difficult adjustment period I think for lots of guilds, but it makes sense in the end to have one unified size for top end content. People will get used to it eventually, just like the even more dramatic shift from 40 to 25.

oh wow, so normal raiding is going to turn into heroic, that's interesting. So the new "normals" are going to be spiked up in difficulty or just a name change because mythic is the new "heroic"?

also, what's flex raiding? I left at 5.1 so I was never introduced into it.

Fjordson

oh wow, so normal raiding is going to turn into heroic, that's interesting. So the new "normals" are going to be spiked up in difficulty or just a name change because mythic is the new "heroic"?

I have a feeling 6.0 heroic will feel fairly close to 5.4 normal, as opposed to having its difficulty upped. As you said, mostly a name change. Obviously I don't know for sure, but that's the vibe I got from the gameplay panel yesterday.

And flexible is a new difficulty mode right below normal that basically scales based on how many people you have in your group. You an do it with 10 people, 11, 12, 13, 14 all the way up to 25. It's actually worked really well so far. Makes it less of a hassle to find and maintain groups since people can come and go more freely, but also still feels like an actual raid with mechanics and difficulty (as opposed to the autopilot fights in LFR).

Kenai

Flex is just like it sounds. It's harder than LFR but easier than Normals-raiding that scales in difficulty based on the number of people in the raid. Since you can kinda bring in what you have rather than a certain number of people and people can come and go without stopping the whole thing it's pretty popular, although you still need a certain amount of tanks/healers/dps to realistically complete it.

edit: beaten but oh wells

mclem

Probably just a name change; they've said raiding was most successful when 10-man ICC was a thing, and I'd argue that that was easier than current normals. They said their goals for current Flex was to feel like 10-man ICC, and I think they've achieved that. So the next logical step is changing the names in line with the intention.

Mothman91

I have a feeling 6.0 heroic will feel fairly close to 5.4 normal, as opposed to having its difficulty upped. As you said, mostly a name change. Obviously I don't know for sure, but that's the vibe I got from the gameplay panel yesterday.

And flexible is a new difficulty mode right below normal that basically scales based on how many people you have in your group. You an do it with 10 people, 11, 12, 13, 14 all the way up to 25. It's actually worked really well so far. Makes it less of a hassle to find and maintain groups since people can come and go more freely, but also still feels like an actual raid with mechanics and difficulty (as opposed to the autopilot fights in LFR).

Flex is just like it sounds. It's harder than LFR but easier than Normals-raiding that scales in difficulty based on the number of people in the raid. Since you can kinda bring in what you have rather than a certain number of people and people can come and go without stopping the whole thing it's pretty popular, although you still need a certain amount of tanks/healers/dps to realistically complete it.

edit: beaten but oh wells

Was wondering because Cata was the most "fun" I had for raiding wise. Although it was the worst expansion, I actually was part of a core 10 man and it was a successful core. I left before the first major patch in Cata and came back for MoP. I think they introduced LFR in Cata or MoP, forgot, but once I got to 90 and started LFR, it was just plain boring. No communication, just lots of whining and people half assing.

Do I need to join a group for flex or can I join alone? I'm guessing there are people spamming trade that are wanting to do flex grouping?

Fjordson

Was wondering because Cata was the most "fun" I had for raiding wise. Although it was the worst expansion, I actually was part of a core 10 man and it was a successful core. I left before the first major patch in Cata and came back for MoP. I think they introduced LFR in Cata or MoP, forgot, but once I got to 90 and started LFR, it was just plain boring. No communication, just lots of whining and people half assing.

Do I need to join a group for flex or can I join alone? I'm guessing there are people spamming trade that are wanting to do flex grouping?
Yeah, Flex avoids most of the problems of LFR because it isn't an anonymous queue system. You need have a raid leader invite people and form a group like normal and heroic raiding. Only difference is that it's cross realm so you can invite same faction players from other servers.

And yeah, there's groups going on my server 24/7 (though I'm a on full realm) so it shouldn't be too hard to find a group.

edit: another nice thing, at least for me, is that it's wing-based. So you join up and complete one wing which is basically 3-4 bosses. Then you're done and can leave, or keep the group together and do another wing if you want.

mackaveli

Anyone have a refer a friend referral?

I was thinking of getting back into WoW. I've never subbed I have just tried the starter pack and want to see if I will enjoy it again.

Fjordson

I was thinking of getting back into WoW. I've never subbed I have just tried the starter pack and want to see if I will enjoy it again.
The scroll of resurrection? I believe I can send one, just PM me your battle.net email.

kirblar

It's a straight up nerf to entry-level content. And it's needed. People are bad.

Ultratech

I'd send you one, but the RaF system is down at the moment.

I hear that it might come back up this week though, so we'll see...

(Then again, if you had the Starter Pack in the past, you might have to use a Scroll of Resurrection.)

notworksafe

So my plan is to raise 2-3 characters to cap and then just get as much gold as possible. Are dailies, AH, enchanting, and JC still the best way to get money?

So I just got back into the game. What am I missing, because all the sudden I can't do bonus rolls anymore. Do I have to convert into something else? I'm really trying to gear my warrior. My DK is in like 502s, and I'm going to do some LFR with him as well so I can go back and solo more shit.

I feel like a ton of shit changed in 5.4 and I don't know where to look.

Been wandering around timeless isle as well, trying to get gear for my warrior. Honestly, I don't care if the hardcore hate it, this is the coolest thing they've done in the game in a LONG time. Knowing that i don't have to do a super grind on my alts to get them ready is envigorating. I actually want to go level my monk to 90 because I already have a set of 496 gear waiting for him. lol

Also, my guild did strictly 10 mans. Are we not going to be able to hand out loot like we did before since all raids will now be flex? We were pretty chill about loot and getting people geared. Not liking the idea of having the game handout the loot and not being able to pass it to someone who would need it.

Oh and about timeless isle, do 496s only drop from the bosses like the ship, Huolon, etc? Or will I run along some while question and just beating on the elites?

Fjordson

So I just got back into the game. What am I missing, because all the sudden I can't do bonus rolls anymore. Do I have to convert into something else? I'm really trying to gear my warrior. My DK is in like 502s, and I'm going to do some LFR with him as well so I can go back and solo more shit.

I feel like a ton of shit changed in 5.4 and I don't know where to look.

Been wandering around timeless isle as well, trying to get gear for my warrior. Honestly, I don't care if the hardcore hate it, this is the coolest thing they've done in the game in a LONG time. Knowing that i don't have to do a super grind on my alts to get them ready is envigorating. I actually want to go level my monk to 90 because I already have a set of 496 gear waiting for him. lol

Also, my guild did strictly 10 mans. Are we not going to be able to hand out loot like we did before since all raids will now be flex? We were pretty chill about loot and getting people geared. Not liking the idea of having the game handout the loot and not being able to pass it to someone who would need it.

Oh and about timeless isle, do 496s only drop from the bosses like the ship, Huolon, etc? Or will I run along some while question and just beating on the elites?
Bonus rolls depends on what tier of content you're doing. If you're in Siege of Orgrimmar you need warforged seals.

notworksafe

AH is always the best way to make money. JC is a nice way to make money if you're on a large server.

I'm n Area 52-H so pretty big. Can I get the good recipes from dailies/rep or will I need to do some raiding and get lucky on drops?

Sorry for the questions but it's been a while since I dove in with anything other than the week trial. Haven't played since early Cata other than that week trial I used to level up a Monk.

Nokterian

BYrqhElCcAEVyO5.jpg

Every time. Every damn time.

Having all collections except the original but yeah. A lot of my friends did stop playing and never went back but i do go back since it is familiar to me and i hope to meet some new people a long the way. I still don't have a guild though..don't know if there are gaffers on EU Emerald Dream?

Bonus rolls depends on what tier of content you're doing. If you're in Siege of Orgrimmar you need warforged seals.
I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm still on heart of fear. I want to be able to do bonus rolls on ToES. I have like 300 lesser charms. I went to the lady below the golden pagoda or whatever it's called and she gave me some shit I've never seen but I couldn't convert to greater charms. I don't want to run LFR and not have bonus rolls.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've never had a WoW CE. In fact the only CE's I've ever got are D2 and D3.

Loxley

I have every WoW CE with the exception of the vanilla & TBC ones. That said, I only ever buy them for the included coffee-table art-books. I've always loved WoW's art direction, so I really enjoy collecting Blizzard's art books whenever I can get a hold of one since they put a lot of effort into them.

Fjordson

I haven't gotten to that yet. I'm still on heart of fear. I want to be able to do bonus rolls on ToES. I have like 300 lesser charms. I went to the lady below the golden pagoda or whatever it's called and she gave me some shit I've never seen but I couldn't convert to greater charms. I don't want to run LFR and not have bonus rolls.
Ah, the elder charms. Yeah the golden pagoda lady only gives the current seals. You can buy elder charms for 500 Justice points I know. Probably a few other ways as well that I'm forgetting. Just look 'em up on Wowhead and check the comments.

Salamando

Ah, the elder charms. Yeah the golden pagoda lady only gives the current seals. You can buy elder charms for 500 Justice points I know. Probably a few other ways as well that I'm forgetting. Just look 'em up on Wowhead and check the comments.

The Elder Charms drop like candy from the Isle of Thunder. A single run through the Treasure scenario can put you at the cap, and all you need to access it is a key from an elite or Isle-specific treasure chests.

There is no reason what so ever to do MSV, HOF and TOES LFR for loot anymore. The only worthwhile loot there are items needed for the legendary quest, but they cannot drop from bonus rolls. You should quickly go through all the LFRs so you can get to Siege of Ogrimmar LFR as fast as possible. TOT LFR is helpful for gearing up till you can fully equip SOO and/or timeless isle gear (535). But your priority should still be SOO LFR.

If you're really anal about stuff like that, or if you want a specific item for transmog, then elder charms (needed for bonus rolls in MSV, HOF and TOES) are pretty easily acquired on Isle of Thunder. I cannot remember the exact methods of acquisition, but you should be able to get more than three a week. Probably even cap it. Check wowhead or some other site for more info. Mogu charms of fate (I believe they are called) which are needed for bonus rolls in TOT can be bought on Timeless Isle for 1000 timeless coins.

idlewild_

I'm n Area 52-H so pretty big. Can I get the good recipes from dailies/rep or will I need to do some raiding and get lucky on drops?

The meta gems are world drops. There is a daily cd that you can use to learn one random rare quality cut of a color of your choice. You can also spend 3 of a BoP crafting item to learn a random cut. There's also a chance for green quality cuts you craft to have a 'perfect' modifier which makes them stat-wise just as good as the rare quality cuts.

As for making gold, it all depends on how much time you have available. On a server the size of Area 52 you can make a killing off of Glyphs, but you need to monitor it like a hawk (list/relist multiple times an hour during peak times,) since competition is going to be pretty fierce. It's a lot less work to turn a profit on cut gems and enchants but your margins are going to be much lower.

Another good idea is transmog gear, I haven't played in a while so I don't have my watch lists handy to give you. You can probably find some good ones online though. It's pretty slow and unpredictable, you'll make 10k one day and nothing the next. But it's fairly hassle free in that you only need to list/relist once a day or every other day even on large servers. It took maybe 5-10 min before going to bed to run through the watchlists and buy/list/relist everyday.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I think the main reason why i'm not pleased with WoD yet is because i wish The Dark Below was the real deal, it had such a better concept in Lore and Zones.

But who am I kidding, the odds of me buying WoD are high either way.

Fjordson

I think the main reason why i'm not pleased with WoD yet is because i wish The Dark Below was the real deal, it had such a better concept in Lore and Zones.

But who am I kidding, the odds of me buying WoD are high either way.
Yeah, TBD did sound really neat.

But I think WoD has so much potential. Maybe because I'm not terribly familiar with early Warcraft lore so a lot of this will be fresh for me. I mean I know all the overarching plots of the universe, but I don't know some of the specific events and characters.

Like the official wallpaper they put out of all the Orc leaders has me hyped. Should make for a great set of antagonists.

notworksafe

The meta gems are world drops. There is a daily cd that you can use to learn one random rare quality cut of a color of your choice. You can also spend 3 of a BoP crafting item to learn a random cut. There's also a chance for green quality cuts you craft to have a 'perfect' modifier which makes them stat-wise just as good as the rare quality cuts.

As for making gold, it all depends on how much time you have available. On a server the size of Area 52 you can make a killing off of Glyphs, but you need to monitor it like a hawk (list/relist multiple times an hour during peak times,) since competition is going to be pretty fierce. It's a lot less work to turn a profit on cut gems and enchants but your margins are going to be much lower.

Another good idea is transmog gear, I haven't played in a while so I don't have my watch lists handy to give you. You can probably find some good ones online though. It's pretty slow and unpredictable, you'll make 10k one day and nothing the next. But it's fairly hassle free in that you only need to list/relist once a day or every other day even on large servers. It took maybe 5-10 min before going to bed to run through the watchlists and buy/list/relist everyday.

Thanks for the tips!

Time wise I'm a lot more strapped than I was a few years ago, so I guess I'll stick with gems/chants for now.

Transmog gear is something I hadn't even though of but that's great! I'll find a list out there, though I bet I know a lot of them. I guess I'll have to make my Paladin T2 my transmog set...though I bet there's about 5000000 other pallys out there with the same idea. :p

Can you transmog weps too? I'd love to roll deep with Tfury and Bulwark.

Just read this line on MMO-Champ:

There will be no free re-customization for characters after new character models.

Boooooooooo. I mean I suppose everyone can still do haircuts, but not being able to change everything for free after a full model update is kind of lame. Definitely some scummy revenue in store for them there.

Dawg

I feel like I should know what the hell I am doing, but I'm just wandering around Timeless Isle while doing random HC's and shit.

Feel like I missed out on all the stuff that happened, partly because I like collecting reputations and achievements :p But I think doing all the content from 5.1 till now is probably a bit too much.

You can still do all the reputations and dailies, right? I did hear something about Golden Lotus being changed..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just read this line on MMO-Champ:

Boooooooooo. I mean I suppose everyone can still do haircuts, but not being able to change everything for free after a full model update is kind of lame. Definitely some scummy revenue in store for them there.

The faces don't look all that different though, so it makes sense. They're more detailed, but it's not like there's scars where there isn't, or a different eye color or whatever

Tamanon

Banned
I feel like I should know what the hell I am doing, but I'm just wandering around Timeless Isle while doing random HC's and shit.

Feel like I missed out on all the stuff that happened, partly because I like collecting reputations and achievements :p But I think doing all the content from 5.1 till now is probably a bit too much.

You can still do all the reputations and dailies, right? I did hear something about Golden Lotus being changed..

Everything but Golden Lotus you can do. That's just changed to a kill-rep instead. It's good to do old stuff anyways since you need Black Prince rep for the legendary chain:/

Salamando

Yeah, TBD did sound really neat.

But I think WoD has so much potential. Maybe because I'm not terribly familiar with early Warcraft lore so a lot of this will be fresh for me. I mean I know all the overarching plots of the universe, but I don't know some of the specific events and characters.

Like the official wallpaper they put out of all the Orc leaders has me hyped. Should make for a great set of antagonists.

I just wanted to know what happened to Neptulon. Dude's been stuck in the belly of a giant squid for almost 2 expansions now.

WoD could be good, depending on how quickly they get away from Orcs and more Orcs. Kinda hoping Draenor's equivalent of the bronze dragonflight come up and smack us around for screwing with time. Cause hey, if the Titans visited Draenor too, why can't they have their own aspects?

The Elder Charms drop like candy from the Isle of Thunder. A single run through the Treasure scenario can put you at the cap, and all you need to access it is a key from an elite or Isle-specific treasure chests.
So the lesser charms are worthless? Why are they even in the game then?

50 Lesser Charms are used to create 3 Warforged Seals, which are the bonus roll currency for 5.4 bosses.
Sorry I missed the reply. Im on my phone. So can I still get greater charms for rolls in earlier raids? But I can't use lesser charms to get greater charms? I really want to get two shin ka's from ToES.

Tamanon

Banned
Sorry I missed the reply. Im on my phone. So can I still get greater charms for rolls in earlier raids? But I can't use lesser charms to get greater charms? I really want to get two shin ka's from ToES.

You get Greater Charms on the Isle of Thunder from treasure boxes/the treasure scenario using the Key to Lei Shen's Palace.

You get Mogu Runes of Fate(for use in ToT) from the Timeless Isle for Timeless coins.

You get Warforged Seals, 3 per week, from turning in Lessers at the shrine.

Fjordson

Yeah, lesser charms are always used for current tier bonus rolls. So it changes with each new tier.

Magnus

So let me get this straight:

Every account upgraded to WoD gets one character - any character, including a fresh level 1 - boosted to level 90.

So, if you have multiple accounts (I happen to have two inactive extra ones that I used 3 years ago to do some RAF'ing) - I could reactivate them, insta-boost them for free to Cataclysm (since all subscribes get up to Cata for free), and then effectively pay to upgrade that to MoP/WoD, and get a free 90 on those accounts, too. Then pay to account transfer them to my main account.

It's 'spensive, but a free, officially sanctioned way to pay for a couple extra 90s.

Wow.

(I'm happy about this)

MoP is regularly available for $15-20 in sales. As soon as WoD hits that price on a sale sometime next year, I'll happily pay $40 + $25 to account transfer them. That's basically a level 90 character for fucking $65. DONE. Easy decision.

I'd finally get the last two classes I have that are sub-Level 30 insta-90'd. YAY. Cuz the fuck if I'm doing it all over again. I have all the others at roughly 70 or higher (except for a Monk at 40).

1384137036057bweq1.gif

forsaken warrior using bladestorm.gif

The new Gotta Go Fast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom