• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Which one of the horrors was responsible for Jaina's visit to the worst plastic surgeon in Azeroth

zeemumu

Poor Jaina. She never would have gone so crazy if Thrall didn't dump her for Aggra.

Your profile pic reminds me: I've always wondered what the Old Gods were saying to Deathwing to drive him so crazy.
Maybe something along the lines of "Hey. Hey, Deathwing. Did you watch The Wire yet? Huh? It's really good. You should watch The Wire."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Your profile pic reminds me: I've always wondered what the Old Gods were saying to Deathwing to drive him so crazy.
Maybe something along the lines of "Hey. Hey, Deathwing. Did you watch The Wire yet? Huh? It's really good. You should watch The Wire."

watch as your pathetic magic betraaaaaaaaaaaaays you

CassSept

Hell, one thing that's really bothering me is that despite that much focus on the most classic of Warcraft races they totally retconned freaking orcs, didn't they? Nobody cares about blue space goats but without drinking blood of Mannoroth the Iron Horde makes absolutely no sense.

Orcs were a peaceful and noble race that practiced shamanism and honorable combat. What are Blizz trying to do here? Garrosh just comes and says "hey look I'm this son of Grom and I'm from the future and listen look at this technology let's go kill some Draenei and build these inconspicuous portal to invade other worlds" and everyone just nods, agrees and abandons all of their traditions?

I mean holy hell this is 4.3 epilogue-level of dumbness. I thought they did well in MoP with salvaging the lore and we are diving back into the world of sweeping retcons and stories that follow no rules at all?

Nah, she becomes Medivh and tries to open the Dark Portal so that the two Hordes can destroy each other in revenge for Theramore.

But the plan backfires as Grom dies, Durotan takes over the Iron Horde and teams up with his son and together thanks to elements they see through Jaina's intentions and open a portal to a different timeline, catch mana bomb that was dropped on Theramore midway through fall and teleport it with portals to Stormwind because screw humans.

In the exciting post-WoD timeline everything is possible!

Angry Grimace

Hell, one thing that's really bothering me is that despite that much focus on the most classic of Warcraft races they totally retconned freaking orcs, didn't they? Nobody cares about blue space goats but without drinking blood of Mannoroth the Iron Horde makes absolutely no sense.

Orcs were a peaceful and noble race that practiced shamanism and honorable combat. What are Blizz trying to do here? Garrosh just comes and says "hey look I'm this son of Grom and I'm from the future and listen look at this technology let's go kill some Draenei and build these inconspicuous portal to invade other worlds" and everyone just nods, agrees and abandons all of their traditions?

I mean holy hell this is 4.3 epilogue-level of dumbness. I thought they did well in MoP with salvaging the lore and we are diving back into the world of sweeping retcons and stories that follow no rules at all?

But the plan backfires as Grom dies, Durotan takes over the Iron Horde and teams up with his son and together thanks to elements they see through Jaina's intentions and open a portal to a different timeline, catch mana bomb that was dropped on Theramore midway through fall and teleport it with portals to Stormwind because screw humans.

The entirety of the story is apparently just a hand-wave to get us to Draenor so we can drudge up Gul'dan, Blackhand, Ner'zhul, etc. Its pretty much a tacit admission they didn't have any ideas so they thought they'd just make up a quick retcon for us to fight dead people.

The worst part is that WoW itself is so old there's no need to dredge up more WC 2 and 3 crap to relive. Nobody would have cared at all if they used Kil'jaeden since he was hardly the main threat in TBC nor did he die.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The entirety of the story is apparently just a hand-wave to get us to Draenor so we can drudge up Gul'dan, Blackhand, Ner'zhul, etc. Its pretty much a tacit admission they didn't have any ideas so they thought they'd just make up a quick retcon for us to fight dead people.

The worst part is that WoW itself is so old there's no need to dredge up more WC 2 and 3 crap to relive. Nobody would have cared at all if they used Kil'jaeden since he was hardly the main threat in TBC nor did he die.

I would imagine Garrosh twisted the truth a bit, and was able to convince Pops and the others that banding together to form the Iron Horde was the only/best way to be strong enough to prevent the fate of the orcs and Draenor as a whole on our timeline from happening.

One thing people tend to misconstrue is that, prior to their corruption by the legion, the Orcs weren't really peaceful. They certainly weren't bloodthirsty, genocidal beasts, but they were still a clan society that highly valued physical strength and combat prowess over pretty much everything other than the power of shamanism (again, related to strength) and the nebulous concept of "honor" (which itself is linked to combat)

I don't imagine it took ALL that much prodding on Garrosh's part to get things swinging that way. I mean, just look at the Orcs in the horde from Wrath to Pandaria. They weren't exactly dragged kicking and screaming into Garrosh's war.

Mothman91

Timeless Isle hard as fuck with this starter 90 gear they gave me, and all these moss covered chests are just giving me shoulder items :/.
Are the celestials 25 manned or 5? Also who is the other boss, forgot his name. Am I able to do these bosses without certain requirements?

kirblar

The Warcraft movie is WC1 era. That's why we're doing this.

Tamanon

Banned
Timeless Isle hard as fuck with this starter 90 gear they gave me, and all these moss covered chests are just giving me shoulder items :/.
Are the celestials 25 manned or 5? Also who is the other boss, forgot his name. Am I able to do these bosses without certain requirements?

Celestials are 25-40 man bosses. Don't have to be in the raid, as they're faction-tag. Basically if you see it being fought and the nameplate isn't grey, go whack it. Can get loot once per week from any of them, and can spend a warforged seal on a bonus roll. Drops ilevel 553 tier sets so great stuff if you get it.

Ordos, can't do him until you get your legendary cloak.

Angry Grimace

Celestials you can just walk up and hit, but its a 25 man raid boss. You can tag it if someone else is doing it and don't need to be in their raid group.

The other one is Ordos, but you need the Legendary Cloak on your account to be able to enter the temple where he is.

Animal

Banned
I just ran onyxia for the first time on 5.4 and I am shocked that she didn't switch to a flying phase for the second half of the fight!?!

This makes my life so much easier as a warrior.

Salamando

I would imagine Garrosh twisted the truth a bit, and was able to convince Pops and the others that banding together to form the Iron Horde was the only/best way to be strong enough to prevent the fate of the orcs and Draenor as a whole on our timeline from happening.

One thing people tend to misconstrue is that, prior to their corruption by the legion, the Orcs weren't really peaceful. They certainly weren't bloodthirsty, genocidal beasts, but they were still a clan society that highly valued physical strength and combat prowess over pretty much everything other than the power of shamanism (again, related to strength) and the nebulous concept of "honor" (which itself is linked to combat)

I don't imagine it took ALL that much prodding on Garrosh's part to get things swinging that way. I mean, just look at the Orcs in the horde from Wrath to Pandaria. They weren't exactly dragged kicking and screaming into Garrosh's war.

You'd have to give Garrosh props here if that's what he did. Gul'dan/Ner'Zhul were being manipulated by Kil'Jaeden at the time, and Garrosh is able to be more convincing than a demon lord. Also impressive is how Garrosh is able to bring over all the engineering know-how he did, without the help from Goblins.

It'll be interesting if they decide to show what's going on with the Azeroth in alternate-Draenor's universe. No orc invasion means no wars, no Alliance, only the Night Elves to stand up to Archimonde. Scourge could still exist, and with no wars to forge paladins, they could easily take over the world too.

zeemumu

Well, the orcs were told that the Draenei were going to attempt to overthrow them prior to the orcs drinking the demon blood. They drank it to fight back, but with Garrosh's arsenal, they didn't need it. It's not that farfetched to believe that Garrosh convinced the orcs to join him so easily. They were already leaning towards war. Besides, Grom's persuasive speech to drink the blood was basically "Hey guys! You gotta try some of this!"

I'm afraid for the timeline of post-WoD. The instant temporal effects are obvious, but this is the origin of the major conflict in the Warcraft Universe. If the players succeed and the Iron Horde falls, what happens to the present Horde? If they leave the Horde to rebuild under better leadership, they'll still be miles ahead of the Alliance in terms of technology, which probably won't sit well with the dwarves, gnomes, or humans. And if orcish clan leaders like Gul'Dan or Ner'zhul are destroyed, then Illidan and the Lich King cease to exist as major antagonists. If the Iron Horde gets stopped in Draenor, then they never start the war with the Alliance, and Draenor doesn't become Outlands. Does that mean that Draenor becomes the Horde homeworld?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I haven't tanked since Kara was a thing, I am so terrified of tanking again. They've changed a ton since then. I am a fantastic healer, but I don't want my poor tank to languish, raidless or turn into a dps toon. Any tips? What's the easiest class to tank on now? Are druids viable as tanks now?

From everything I've read, all classes are viable as tanks now. The most 'difficult' one being DKs and even that's supposedly easy. I've had no real trouble with my prot warrior even when I'm teaming with much better geared DPS

Angry Grimace

I think fans would be less salty about this is Blizzard would stop saying "NOT A TIME TRAVEL EXPANSION" like a mantra.

I have Gul'dan's fucking skull in my inventory, Blizzard. It's a time-travel expansion.

Salamando

I'm afraid for the timeline of post-WoD. The instant temporal effects are obvious, but this is the origin of the major conflict in the Warcraft Universe. If the players succeed and the Iron Horde falls, what happens to the present Horde? If they leave the Horde to rebuild under better leadership, they'll still be miles ahead of the Alliance in terms of technology, which probably won't sit well with the dwarves, gnomes, or humans. And if orcish clan leaders like Gul'Dan or Ner'zhul are destroyed, then Illidan and the Lich King cease to exist as major antagonists. If the Iron Horde gets stopped in Draenor, then they never start the war with the Alliance, and Draenor doesn't become Outlands. Does that mean that Draenor becomes the Horde homeworld?

They've said nothing we do in alternate-Draenor will affect what has happened in the present day. Garrosh's time travelling antics created two Draenors...one where everything progressed as if he never showed up, and one where Warlord's of Draenor happens. Draenor A forms Warcraft's history, while Garrosh's Draenor B is just "an opportunity to experience it in it's savage glory"

kirblar

They've said nothing we do in alternate-Draenor will affect what has happened in the present day. Garrosh's time travelling antics created two Draenors...one where everything progressed as if he never showed up, and one where Warlord's of Draenor happens. Draenor A forms Warcraft's history, while Garrosh's Draenor B is just "an opportunity to experience it in it's savage glory"
Also, coffee is very rare on Draenor B, and they drink out of glass containers.

Leflus

Garrosh's crazy antics on Draenor will not affect "our" past. It's a separate timeline that's being linked to ours through the Dark Portal.

Editt: Bah. Beaten badly.

zeemumu

I think fans would be less salty about this is Blizzard would stop saying "NOT A TIME TRAVEL EXPANSION" like a mantra.

I have Gul'dan's fucking skull in my inventory, Blizzard. It's a time-travel expansion.

That skull will immediately reanimate once you enter Draenor and become an endgame raid boss.

Mothman91

Celestials are 25-40 man bosses. Don't have to be in the raid, as they're faction-tag. Basically if you see it being fought and the nameplate isn't grey, go whack it. Can get loot once per week from any of them, and can spend a warforged seal on a bonus roll. Drops ilevel 553 tier sets so great stuff if you get it.

Ordos, can't do him until you get your legendary cloak.

Celestials you can just walk up and hit, but its a 25 man raid boss. You can tag it if someone else is doing it and don't need to be in their raid group.

The other one is Ordos, but you need the Legendary Cloak on your account to be able to enter the temple where he is.
Thanks for the info.

It's gonna take alot of fucking around in the island and I'm doing scenarios on the side for JP to get another heirloom item.

Angry Grimace

Garrosh doesn't have the power to time-travel and the Bronze Dragonflight doesn't have the power to create stable time-portals to alternate dimensions, particularly not post-Cataclysm.

Oh wait Metzenmagic.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
You'd have to give Garrosh props here if that's what he did. Gul'dan/Ner'Zhul were being manipulated by Kil'Jaeden at the time, and Garrosh is able to be more convincing than a demon lord.

Well I think the primary difference there is that Garrosh at believes in his own warped way that what he's doing is for the good of the Horde. Gul'Dan never gave a fuck about anything other than his own power, he knowingly sold his entire race/planet out and didn't bat an eye.

"In my time Draenor is destroyed and you were all corrupted and killed, so you need to build up a super powerful army to ensure we stay strong and pure" is probably an easier sell than "yo drink this blood to turn into crazy demon-fueled aberrations, I promise this shit is fine."

Dot50Cal

Banned
I don't mind the time travel aspect.

I do mind the multiple types of time travel rules that WoW uses.

The whole point of caverns of time instances was to stop the Infinite Flight from ruining our timeway, and now we're told that all that work seemingly didn't matter.

Urgh.

idlewild_

I don't buy that. We're some way off numbers that would usually be regarded as normal caps on integer size. Now, it's possible that they're using unconventionally-sized integers, but that would be, uh, unconventional.

Raid boss health has already reached the cap for signed integers. While I am in favor of the item squish, it would be nice if they also overhauled the engine.

edit: whoops, forgot the refresh the page, lol

McNei1y

I don't mind the time travel aspect.

I do mind the multiple types of time travel rules that WoW uses.

The whole point of caverns of time instances was to stop the Infinite Flight from ruining our timeway, and now we're told that all that work seemingly didn't matter.

Urgh.

Why do you say that?

Garrosh going back in time to Draenor will not have a butterfly effect for our timeline. The only thing it will affect is that in this current year, the dark portal will change and the newly trained iron horde will come storming through from Garrosh's Draenor. The dark portal will somehow connect timelines. So when we travel through the dark portal, we will be on the other timeline. In that timeline, the orcs never drank Mannoroth's blood. In our timeline, the orcs did drink Mannoroth's blood. That will never change.

I don't see any effect similar to the Infinite Flight. The Infinite Flight travels back in our timeline, somehow, and can change our past. Garrosh cannot for some reason. I'm not too sure about that aspect. I just know this is what Blizzard is trying to tell us. Which I can understand.

Draxal

Garrosh doesn't have the power to time-travel and the Bronze Dragonflight doesn't have the power to create stable time-portals to alternate dimensions, particularly not post-Cataclysm.

Oh wait Metzenmagic.

HEY GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE BAD ASSS YEAHHHHHHHHH. GARROSH HELLSCREAMMMMMM TRAVELS BACK INTO THE PAST TO MEET THE BADDASSSSSS BLEEEDING HOLLOW CLAN WHO ARE WHO ARE BADDDDASSS. SO BADDASS THAT THEY REMOVE THEIR EYES. BADDASSS.

I was just so turned off by that blizzcon presentation.

kirblar

They sold the expansion all wrong. It should have been "Remember TBC?" The Black Temple. Tempest Keep. Shattrath. Wouldn't you have liked to see them back in the peak of their glory?

Loxley

At this point they're pretty much reaching Respawn levels of semantic debate.

THEY'RE NOT MECHS YOU ASSHOLES THEY'RE TITANS.

zeemumu

It's not time travel! See? Look at this diagram!
Q3Su5.jpg

Slayerx

There is nothing I hate more than time/weather/season specific pets :( It's like you are about to complete something and then you are hit in the face and told lol nope.

Salamando

Yea...I have no idea what/how this lore plays out if it's not time-travel.

They didn't say this is not time travel...only that this isn't about time travel/this isn't the time travel expansion. Garrosh is going back in time, no doubt about that. Why his actions create a branch while the infinite dragonflight's actions were going to doom the current timeline, *shrug*.

Sajjaja

I haven't played Warcraft in years. Yet I always hear the whispers of the deep....calling..haunting my consciousness and dreams..in order that it may consume my life as it once had.

Was curious, what is the total installation size of everything up to and including Mists of Pandaria?

Dawg

I don't think that's what they meant.

I mean, everyone knows we need to travel through time but this expansion isn't centered around that. As in, people initially thought we'd have a lot of Caverns of Time stuff and several time periods.

But it's just Draenor. They want to stress that entering Draenor is the only time you'll travel through time.

Dawg

I haven't played Warcraft in years. Yet I always hear the whispers of the deep....calling..haunting my consciousness and dreams..in order that it may consume my life as it once had.

Was curious, what is the total installation size of everything up to and including Mists of Pandaria?

I've downloaded the entire thing. It's 23GB.

Ultratech

I don't think that's what they meant.

I mean, everyone knows we need to travel through time but this expansion isn't centered around that. As in, people initially thought we'd have a lot of Caverns of Time stuff and several time periods.

But it's just Draenor. They want to stress that entering Draenor is the only time you'll travel through time.

Except TBC and WotLK exist in a time bubble currently?

Wubby

New expac has made me want to start playing again.

But now I have a dilemma. I quit since my old realm was completely dead and everyone I knew was gone. I originally rolled on the server because my RL friend was there. It's a PVP server but I've never been a fan of being on a PVP server. I lived with it though since the server was so dead there really wasn't any PVP to be seen anyway outside the occasional rare gank back in wotlk.

So I'm wondering if it's time to finally suck up the cost transfer on to PVE. Thrall looks like a good fit. Good number of Horde, PVE and east coast time server. I live in Japan but work at night which gives me the mornings free to raid which lines up time-wise with most east coast raiding times (should I want to raid again).

Anyone here on Thrall?

Dawg

New expac has made me want to start playing again.

But now I have a dilemma. I quit since my old realm was completely dead and everyone I knew was gone. I originally rolled on the server because my RL friend was there. It's a PVP server but I've never been a fan of being on a PVP server. I lived with it though since the server was so dead there really wasn't any PVP to be seen anyway outside the occasional rare gank back in wotlk.

So I'm wondering if it's time to finally suck up the cost transfer on to PVE. Thrall looks like a good fit. Good number of Horde, PVE and east coast time server. I live in Japan but work at night which gives me the mornings free to raid which lines up time-wise with most east coast raiding times (should I want to raid again).

Anyone here on Thrall?

I transferred to an (very) active PVP server from my dead PVE server and it was a real gamechanger. People do old raids all the time and I have so much choice if I want to do something.

My server (Twisting Nether EU) is like 99% horde though so that helps :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom