• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothman91

Yeah, realized that after doing a few scenarios lol. 140 per boss I think. Almost got enough for the 2her heirloom. Really sucks that Blizz couldn't restore my items because my fresh green priest gets FUCKED at the isle.

Tarazet

I transferred to an (very) active PVP server from my dead PVE server and it was a real gamechanger. People do old raids all the time and I have so much choice if I want to do something.

My server (Twisting Nether EU) is like 99% horde though so that helps :p

That's Method's server, so it's "famous"..

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hunter idea
St Bernard trick where pet can go grab people from the dungeon and bring them back to the Hunter so we don't have to wait if no Warlocks in the party :)

I think you mean this one

3gofO3z.jpg

so is it in the alpha or beta timeline that Garrosh helps his father and goes on an Orc date with his mother during the Hellfire peninsula prom night?

Robin64

Garrosh doesn't have the power to time-travel and the Bronze Dragonflight doesn't have the power to create stable time-portals to alternate dimensions, particularly not post-Cataclysm.

Oh wait Metzenmagic.

It's Kairoz that does it. The notion being that we've collected like a billion Epoch Stones for him from an island that's stuck in time somehow. Timeless Isle was definitely no accidental filler story on Blizzard's part.

Dawg

Really can't decide what alt to go for :p

Anyone here any suggestion? Should be horde, already have a rogue, warrior and tank.

Dawg

Troll hunter. Or maybe troll monk?

Hunter is actually a good idea.

Does Troll have superior hunter racials? An orc rogue seems cool too.

Not a fan of Monk tho :p I've been thinking about a lock too, but not sure if that class is 'easy' to master and fun to play. Paladin is an option too.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Trolls get an expertise bonus on ranged weapons, which was originally a crit bonus which will probably go back to crit bonus in WoD with the removal of expertise.
And of course the haste trinket racial is good for all classes

Robin64

Interesting string in the new PTR build:

Phase #2801 - Karazhan Restoration

Also the DIII:RoS CE pet is a cute Treasure Goblin! :D

McNei1y

I created an Orc Warlock 6 years ago because Orc Warlocks were rare...and ugly... I love my decision. That trinket really is boss.

TimeKillr

From everything I've read, all classes are viable as tanks now. The most 'difficult' one being DKs and even that's supposedly easy. I've had no real trouble with my prot warrior even when I'm teaming with much better geared DPS

LOL DK Tanking is so ez-mode it's not even funny.

The only tank spec I haven't played at all is bear tanking... Of all the others, I'd say Monk is the hardest to play because you have more resources to track.

Bears/Warriors have rage and a few CDs but nothing major (makes tanking pretty brainless, and you always have a choice of which mitigation to go after, absorb all or block physical, which is very good (depending on the situation you want different mitigation).

Paladins have it pretty simple - build HoPo, spend HoPo. Their HoPo builder kinda sucks as it's different for single target and AoE - you can typically use the AoE version all the time, but you lose on DPS. They have 2 mitigation tools: either a 3-second damage reduction or a heal (both of which are good).

DKs are stupidly simple, really. Apply diseases *once*, Blood Boil when it procs (or when you need to spread diseases), then Death Strike on cooldown, use blood runes on Heart Strike (which is also your cleave, how convenient) and burn Runic on Rune Strike. Major point of mitigation is through Death Strike, which heals and places a physical absorb shield on you. Really simple, insane AoE damage/threat due to vengeance being crazy. While you do have 2 resources to track, it's pretty simple really - Death Strike when you can, Heart Strike on 3 enemies or less, Blood Boil on 4 or more, Rune Strike when your Runic is near max.

Monks are a bit different. You have 2 resources to track - Energy and Chi. It works a bit like a Rogue - some abilities use Energy and generate Chi while others use Chi. You have 2 mitigation tools: Shuffle and Guard. Guard is a damage absorption shield that apparently always disappears instantly (I'd have to check, I don't have a 90 Monk), while Shuffe is a buff you must constantly reapply through some abilities that cost Chi.

What I find difficult with a Monk is that you have 3 Chi Builders (Keg Smash, which is on CD and generates 2 Chi, is also your cleave and applies an important debuff, then Expel Harm, which is a mitigation tool as it heals you, deals damage and generates Chi and Jab which just generates Chi), 2 of which are on cooldowns, then you have 2 ways to spend Chi (Blackout Kick to give yourself Shuffle and Guard to put the Shield up), then you have a filler attack (Tiger Palm) that you need to use before using Guard. That's the single target abilities alone.

Then when you get into AoE, you have to apply Keg Smash to have the debuff that's required for Breath of Fire to leave a DoT (or throw kegs, which is *another* button). You also have to keep Shuffle and Guard.

Then you have to deal with Purifying Brew to clear your Stagger, use Elusive Brew to give yourself more avoidance...

All in all, let's see how many buttons you have to regularly hit.
1- Keg Smash
2- Expel Harm
3- Jab
4- Tiger Palm
5- Blackout Kick
6- Guard
7- Spinning Crane Kick
8- Breath of Fire
9- Dizzying Haze
10- Purifying Brew
11- Provoke (the Monk Taunt)

All the while managing your energy, your Chi generation, etc.

Compare that to a DK, where the buttons you'll hit are
1- Outbreak (you'll rarely need to use regular diseases and everything can easily be macroed together)
2- Death Strike
3- Heart Strike
4- Blood Boil
5- Rune Strike
6- Taunt
7- Death Grip
8- Death and Decay

8 abilities vs 11. The way I set up my stuff, I use 1-4 and alt 1-4 as my buttons and I'm all set, so I can easily use 8 abilities. More than 8 and it becomes a bit harder, but then you have to manage more stuff.

McNei1y

The talk of tanking brought up a fun wow moment for me:

Back around when Cataclysm was just released, I started a Tauren Paladin and my friend started a Troll Druid. When we got to lvl 60, we were the same level as our friends' alts... a Warrior and a DK. We would queue up for dungeons together and 4 tank the instances. Sure, we were those annoying guys who would drag out the instance but it was so damn fun doing what we were doing. We would stand in a large square around the room and single taunt when it would reach the person across from us. So basically, the mob was running in a big square around the room while some random DPS tried to down him. (It was usually our other friend who we liked to annoy)

It was even funnier when all of us would run up to the boss/mob and just taunt over and over. The guy was dancing like crazy. Good times.

Which reminds me... tanking as a Paladin was fun.

Edit: The new hotfix has some phasing string that has me curious... Karazhan Restoration... Does this have something to do with Medivh by any chance? Maybe it's some world event that requires us to visit the surroundings because Garrosh knew of some item Medivh had in the tower that allowed him to time travel.

JesseZao

I loved running lowbies through instances as a pally tank before they destroyed the SH trinket that healed every time you got hit. Was hilarious to pop it and see your health just zoom to full after pulling the whole instance.

CassSept

Karazhan would be interesting for sure. To be fair, not much work needs to be done with it (ballroom, guestrooms, opera, library), if anything at all since only the upper floors are destroyed in the current Karazhan.

Medivh involvement in the expansion would make sense since he is all powerful and crap and he would probably be pissed some stupid orc ruined his plans. Maybe this dumb mary sue of Med'an could finally be involved in-game cause as terrible of a character he is (and he is truly and utterly terrible, possibly worst char ever in the EU), he is kind of a big deal.

Though hell, the more I think about lore the worse it gets. My head is starting to ache from the amount of dumb that stems from this expansion lore-wise. So with Outland cut does this mean that everyone who stayed behind is now stuck for undisclosed amount of time lore-wise? I guess Dark Portal now warps time through fourth dimension and current day in Azeroth A is the same as 30 years ago in Draenor B, but what about Outland A?

Besides, they could finally solve the stupid and completely random placement of Gorehowl in Karazhan through some deal between current lore characters and Medivh who would then pass it to Malchezaar. But then again Draenor B exists in the same space (but not time?) continuum as Azeroth B which is now completely cut off and just, well, is?

But what if they somehow connected to Azeroth B, what would happen if we had a huge crossover of two completely different timelines? And don't tell me Blizzard said "this is not time travel expansion" and "characters won't duplicate", we have Varok freaking Saurfang, veteran of the first two wars, second-in-command of the Old Horde! And he is still alive and kicking, don't tell me he won't go back to his homeland of old before it was destroyed.

But wait! If Dark Portal isn't opened that means Broxigar doesn't go to Azeroth and doesn't go back in time, wouldn't that mean that without the merry group of BAAAAADDDAAAASSS characters led by previous Mary Sue incarnate Krasus Azeroth would be different? Or is it perhaps a temporal anomaly and Broxigar actually died in Azeroth B, and that is why elves didn't recognize orcs in Warcraft3?

What if the demon invasion foreseen by Wrathion is actually demon invasion from Warcraft 3 but actually happening right now and due to Garrosh's and Karioz hijinks timelines A and B are somehow merged/connected/spliced/whatever and demons pour all over both Azeroth A and B but not only heroes are stronger then ever, there are twice of them! And this would be a great tactical advantage since Azeroth B night elves would trust orcs instantly, which means one more Cenarius on our side and Azeroth A night elves would sure get along just nicely and they are so powerful together I mean hell so many heroes that not only they push back the invasion but they also reverse the positron charges cross the streams and actually somehow go straight for Argus leading to expansion 7?

...fuck

my sanity, halp

Hunter is actually a good idea.

Does Troll have superior hunter racials? An orc rogue seems cool too.

Not a fan of Monk tho :p I've been thinking about a lock too, but not sure if that class is 'easy' to master and fun to play. Paladin is an option too.

Trolls have the best racial skill in the Horde in terms of haste, they can be anything except hunters which orcs have the upper hand in damage bonus for pets and racial skill

Rokam

Did my first Alysrazor solo today, surprisingly easy. Have never done the fight before, screwed up my first try by not having particle density up and couldn't really see the rings. Killed it on the next try before she took flight a second time. Have mostly ran out of things to do, so time to start farming as many mounts as I can.

Mothman91

Need gear. Fresh green priest on Isle is a hard job. Gimme some options, got only like 2 pieces of gear from the random chests and shit. Got like 2k valor, tell me guys.

Should I just buy those timeless cache tokens? Also use my valor on those 3500 coins?

McNei1y

Karazhan would be interesting for sure. To be fair, not much work needs to be done with it (ballroom, guestrooms, opera, library), if anything at all since only the upper floors are destroyed in the current Karazhan.

Medivh involvement in the expansion would make sense since he is all powerful and crap and he would probably be pissed some stupid orc ruined his plans. Maybe this dumb mary sue of Med'an could finally be involved in-game cause as terrible of a character he is (and he is truly and utterly terrible, possibly worst char ever in the EU), he is kind of a big deal.

Though hell, the more I think about lore the worse it gets. My head is starting to ache from the amount of dumb that stems from this expansion lore-wise. So with Outland cut does this mean that everyone who stayed behind is now stuck for undisclosed amount of time lore-wise? I guess Dark Portal now warps time through fourth dimension and current day in Azeroth A is the same as 30 years ago in Draenor B, but what about Outland A?

Say we are in Azeroth A. Draenor A is currently Outland. What Blizzard is saying (if I understand everything) is that Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor B before the First War (which I believe is 30 years prior to the current wow events?). He then stays there for that entire time. He then comes through the dark portal after the MoP events I believe. So if I'm getting this right, Garrosh was in Draenor B another 30 (or whatever amount) of years and is coming to Azeroth A's present... which is the events after MoP. I don't think current Outland is stuck at all since it already exists in Azeroth/Draenor A's timeline.

Say we are in Azeroth A. Draenor A is currently Outland. What Blizzard is saying (if I understand everything) is that Garrosh goes back in time to Draenor B before the First War (which I believe is 30 years prior to the current wow events?). He then stays there for that entire time. He then comes through the dark portal after the MoP events I believe. So if I'm getting this right, Garrosh was in Draenor B another 30 (or whatever amount) of years and is coming to Azeroth A's present... which is the events after MoP. I don't think current Outland is stuck at all since it already exists in Azeroth/Draenor A's timeline.

So, it's both a time-travel & alternate-reality portal?

I can't understand how Garrosh goes from Azeroth A to Draenor B. And how an assault from Draenor B would occur on Azeroth A and not Azeroth B.

Rokam

Need gear. Fresh green priest on Isle is a hard job. Gimme some options, got only like 2 pieces of gear from the random chests and shit. Got like 2k valor, tell me guys.

Should I just buy those timeless cache tokens? Also use my valor on those 3500 coins?

Only 2? Are you sure you hit the 20 or so tiny chests hidden all around? You may be the unluckiest person ever if so :(. I'd save valor to upgrade gear. Coins are pretty easy to come by, just make sure you hit all the rares at least once a day.

I can't understand how Garrosh goes from Azeroth A to Draenor B. And how an assault from Draenor B would occur on Azeroth A and not Azeroth B.

Garrosh travels to Draenor A, but causes a different timeline to happen where the Orcs don't drink the blood (Draenor B), and whoever helped him timetravel is also helping to connect their Dark Portal to our timeline (present day Azeroth A). Still no explanation as to why him going back caused a different timeline.

Ultratech

Probably makes more sense to think of it as an interdimensional portal.

This covers the alternate reality (or "parallel universe" if you will).

So somebody probably kajiggers with the Dark Portal, sets it to go to Draenor B's Dark Portal, and shit goes from there.

mclem

Paladins have it pretty simple - build HoPo, spend HoPo. Their HoPo builder kinda sucks as it's different for single target and AoE - you can typically use the AoE version all the time, but you lose on DPS. They have 2 mitigation tools: either a 3-second damage reduction or a heal (both of which are good).

As a small aside: With the 4-set bonus this tier, it's no longer an either/or thing; you can have the damage reduction *and* the heal.

Said heal was hilarious on our Thok kill last week, where it peaked at healing me for 250k every 2 seconds.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

They're operating under the TNG "Parallels" concept. You literally cannot change the past in that scenario because the mere act of traveling to the past creates an alternate dimension. However, assuming (as here) that you still have an anchor to your original dimension, events there will never change since that dimension still can and does exist. This explains, of course, how your character can still exist when you're in a world where the original Horde was never created.

The biggest problem of course is that the existence of it invalidates all of Caverns of Time and the Infinite Dragonflight plotline since if this were all true the Bronze Flight would no real incentive to give a shit about any particular dimension the way they did. Going to the Well of Eternity, the End of Time and such was all fucking pointless.

Buy the trinket from Shado-Pan Assault. Do LFR.

mclem

They're operating under the TNG "Parallels" concept. You literally cannot change the past in that scenario because the mere act of traveling to the past creates an alternate dimension. However, assuming (as here) that you still have an anchor to your original dimension, events there will never change since that dimension still can and does exist. This explains, of course, how your character can still exist when you're in a world where the original Horde was never created.

The biggest problem of course is that the existence of it invalidates all of Caverns of Time and the Infinite Dragonflight plotline since if this were all true the Bronze Flight would no real incentive to give a shit about any particular dimension the way they did. Going to the Well of Eternity, the End of Time and such was all fucking pointless.

What if we were to take it as - notionally - Draenor having *always* been another dimension, with the Dark Portal acting as a dimensional gate, not merely moving you through space?

That way, the time rules can be simply "Going back in time in your dimension can destroy the timeways, but reconnecting the dimensional pathways is harmless".

Fun corollary: Where does the Dark Portal as it appears in Opening The Dark Portal connect to?

Skab

Interesting string in the new PTR build:

Phase #2801 - Karazhan Restoration

Also the DIII:RoS CE pet is a cute Treasure Goblin! :D

I wonder if we'll ever see the bottom half of Karazhan.

That Room of Upside Down Sinners was always rather creepy to me back in the day.

JesseZao

I wonder if we'll ever see the bottom half of Karazhan.

That Room of Upside Down Sinners was always rather creepy to me back in the day.

I went there to mess around during my trial with my pally the other day. There's a door and "flight path" above the back entrance near the top of the tower. Was that used for a quest? I don't remember that exit from back in the day.

Mothman91

The first wing of ToT LFR will get you to Friendly.

Well, I'm at 450 ilvl lol, so I got a long way to go. Also, I found out that dominance offensive is now accepting JP instead of Valor now, I should go farm some JP because I'm getting no luck with the chests, only have gotten a shoulder/back/waist piece. Have gotten SEVERAL shoulder pieces and 5-6 other pieces that my priest cannot use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom