• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Silly Greg.

Questing

Do you plan to do something with the daily-reputation system? Many players hate it, and want tabards back
Grinding a rep out in one night by running a dungeon over and over is probably never coming back. (Source)

Without tabard spam dungeons feels really unrewarding past 463. Used to do it all the time in Wrath, hate it now.
We don't think having dungeon rep replace daily rep is the answer, but maybe we can come up with a compromise.

Why not? Seriously greg, it worked well in the previous expansions. Gate it if you want to pace it, but it worked
Disagree that it worked. I get that it was convenient but queuing for instances doesn't feel like a persistent world MMO.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Fire is now simming below Frost and Arcane by 10k now though, rofl.

I dunno, it looks like Fire is still destroying the other two specs.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Mogu'shan_Vaults/dps/

[edit]

Holy fuck. D:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Heart_of_Fear/dps/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/players/Terrace_of_Endless_Spring/dps/

fire-mage-icon.jpg
x100

TheYanger

Fire was the most absurd dps spec, it's not pvp related...I can't understand the crying sometimes, go check wol rankings, see how every fight is like 90% fire mages.

strafer

So I just completed todays Volgin/Thrall/Horde-quests (honored with Dominance Offensive)... the story is shaping up.

edit: But really, what's going on here? Got a mail from Vol'jin:

My friend,

Garrosh tried to off me with a dagger to the throat. But I got something more powerful than assassin's poison. I got friends. You, Chen Stormstout, Thrall... we been through worse.

I need to lie low for a while. Get me head together, Chen is taking me to the Shadopan Monastery to heal.

Meantimes, I need you to stay close to Garrosh. Keep your eyes open. Find out what he gotgoing on. Dangerous. But I know you can handle yourself. I seen it with me own eyes.

-Vol'jin

Doesn't sound like something Garrosh would do at all... is the letter fake or something? Like, "dagger" and "poison"? GARROSH? Hired assassin?

okay, no chance in hell he makes it out of this expansion alive.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
You know, they could do something like where you could get Tabard rep up to like Revered or something, then make you do Dailies up to Exalted.
I've got nothing against daily quests (as long as they are at least a bit fun), but I dislike not being able to grind them as much as possible. Though then they probably wouldn't be called daily quests. Being able to gain reputation at your own pace, be it slow or fast, would be a nice change; like devote a day for one faction instead of having to do certain quests every day for a longer period of time to become Exalted with that faction. Same thing for all caps (Valor Points, Conquest Points etc.), what's the benefit of not being able to gain standard currency and such?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If every dailies were as fun as that Golden Lotus one where we have to roll on the long western wall, i'm sure people wouldn't hate them as much.

Neki

If every dailies were as fun as that Golden Lotus one where we have to roll on the long western wall, i'm sure people wouldn't hate them as much.

I got to revered on one character, and exalted on another, and I've never gotten that daily.

Bisnic

I got to revered on one character, and exalted on another, and I've never gotten that daily.

I think my mage who is already exalted with Golden Lotus only did it twice. It's really rare sadly. It's like Blizzard hates fun dailies.

Berordn

All of the top parses are from before the hotfix.

And it's not that they nerfed fire that's an issue, after 5.1 combustion was flat-out doing way too much damage and something needed to be done about that. It's that they had to nerf it after the majority of the feedback about the combustion changes on the PTR were "this is way too strong and overcompensating for the loss of Pyroblast on the dot." They then turn around and undo the changes to ignite on it, but don't add the pyroblast damage back and it's doing less damage than it did at 85 now. Then they go and alter one of the passives that completely changes how the class works to begin with, making it extremely RNG dependent, significantly moreso than it was the day before and we're still in the middle of a lockout.

Of course they just overnerfed it and they're going to reel it back in, but the fact that this keeps happening, not just for mages, but for almost every DPS spec every other patch cycle is just stupid.

Good, maybe that will give these stubborn fire mages an excuse to give frost a try. :p It's no longer a PVP spec only and its very fun to play.

Well I guess I'll be stuck with Arcane at 90 until Fire is fixed again. Hate, hate playing (and playing against) Frost mages.

Arcane is fine, but Fire is more fun due to the procs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, this is pretty huge.

Patch 5.1 Darkmoon Faire Updates
The Darkmoon Faire has started and Patch 5.1 added a few new things. The biggest addition is the new Darkmoon Carousel, which takes the place of one of the large under construction tents. It uses the nice new music that was added in Patch 5.1. Riding it gives you the WHEE! buff, which increases reputation and experience gains by 10%. Unlike some of the other event buffs, it does work with quests as well, so it will be useful for leveling reputation. This buff will last for an hour if you ride long enough but does not persist through death, so be careful!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Now the real question is... how do I remind myself to get this buff before doing the Dominance Offensive dailies :(?

Yoshichan

The buff is removed on death.

It's very easy to die in Southern Krasarang now!
Oh! I'm stupid... completely forgot about PvP >.<

Sarcasm

lol the quest you get after doing dailies where you go to Echo Isles..is cross realm..soo many people haha (and no mobs =S)

Yoshichan

Upgrading gear with valor is like the best thing that could've ever happened with alts that don't want to go through the rep-grind. Since you can't buy anything with valor unless you grind the rep, you might as well just spend them on upgrading your LFR/normal-crap.

Rokam

Upgrading gear with valor is like the best thing that could've ever happened with alts that don't want to go through the rep-grind. Since you can't buy anything with valor unless you grind the rep, you might as well just spend them on upgrading your LFR/normal-crap.

Putting a majority of the valor gear on the new factions helps a lot. Don't have to grind a shitload, just that one.

Yoshichan

Putting a majority of the valor gear on the new factions helps a lot. Don't have to grind a shitload, just that one.
"Just that one" happens to be more than I want to grind out with my alt :lol I do zero dailies with my alt.

Rokam

"Just that one" happens to be more than I want to grind out with my alt :lol I do zero dailies with my alt.

Not even for charms? Tsk tsk. I luckily get to start the 6k valor grind on both of my characters starting on Tuesday. Yay!
Fuck Valor.. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK IT

Yoshichan

Not even for charms? Tsk tsk. I luckily get to start the 6k valor grind on both of my characters starting on Tuesday. Yay!
Fuck Valor.. FUUUUUUUUUUUCK IT
Especially not for charms!

edit: Also, good luck XD

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I actually don't understand why anyone who isn't bleeding edge progression oriented would NOT have engineering. Every other profession flat out sucks.

Engineering has repairbots, bank access, parachute cloaks, Blingtron, Nitro Boosts, etc. plus Synapse Springs gives you that equivalent stat boost.

Neki

I actually don't understand why anyone who isn't bleeding edge progression oriented would NOT have engineering. Every other profession flat out sucks.

Engineering has repairbots, bank access, parachute cloaks, Blingtron, Nitro Boosts, etc. plus Synapse Springs gives you that equivalent stat boost.

synapse strings doesn't play nice with other on use trinkets, that's a small problem

Ultimately, sentimentality. My main has always been herb/alch since my earliest playing days (friends and family but I can't even remember what profession setup it had if any). Alts fill out the others but admittedly no one else is capped. I'm not a hardcore min/maxer though, I cap and run dungeons and then retire till next expansion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
synapse strings doesn't play nice with other on use trinkets, that's a small problem

It would be overpowered if you could combine Synapse Springs with other trinkets

Rokam

Thinking they may go to a council style leadership, seems like the best option,
for more drama down the line
. Really can't wait for the Vol'jin book and to see if he undertakes a major role in the 5.2 raid assuming it's the Zandalar/Thunder King patch.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
So after raid on main and heroics/lfr on alt (both fire mages) I stand by what I said earlier.

Resonably geared mage (485 equipped) after changes...barely noticed a drop. Was still topping charts on MV 10 man and on a 40 man Sha kill.

Alt in mostly blues and two epics, running a 450'ish iLvl was much different. Was hard to maintain steady DPS.

Main - Crits all the time, has lots of stats to mix around to hit the hit caps, and still have high crit.

Alt - Even with best reforge tweaks there is no way to maintain decent hit rating and still have good crit stats.

Although a couple of fights in LFR I got lucky (alt) and got 1st or 2nd on DPS with huge crits strings. Thanks RNG!

Bottom line...

First reaction when seeing the "nerf" was @&^%#&^%@. After playing with it a few raids.

Meh. Still fine for the most part (with gear).

Us mages like to complain though..hehe...deal with it!

Angry Grimace

Thinking they may go to a council style leadership, seems like the best option,
for more drama down the line
. Really can't wait for the Vol'jin book and to see if he undertakes a major role in the 5.2 raid assuming it's the Zandalar/Thunder King patch.

I really wish they would reconsider the stupid "Final raid is in Orgrimmar" crap. I don't understand at all making this awesome new continent and then making the final raid have nothing to do with the new continent.

Berordn

I really wish they would reconsider the stupid "Final raid is in Orgrimmar" crap. I don't understand at all making this awesome new continent and then making the final raid have nothing to do with the new continent.

Don't worry, we'll just fly the Skyfire over there in the process. THIS IS A GREAT IDEA.

I'm sure that, if they did a raid in the world again, they'd actually bother making something new for it. Like beneath Org, in RFC is some sort of demonic portal leading to some inner sanctum of Y'sharj that Garrosh's been setting up.

Rokam

99.99% sure RFC will be a new heroic in the last patch. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the last patch would have multiple raids and that Garrosh would just be the last boss in the last raid much like Sha of Fear. So chances are we'll get some sort of raid (or 2) on Pandaria and the last one takes us to Orgrimmar.

Wonder if they'll do anything with Gallywix or Genn Greymane... at least let us kill Gallywix.

Neki

So after raid on main and heroics/lfr on alt (both fire mages) I stand by what I said earlier.

Resonably geared mage (485 equipped) after changes...barely noticed a drop. Was still topping charts on MV 10 man and on a 40 man Sha kill.

Alt in mostly blues and two epics, running a 450'ish iLvl was much different. Was hard to maintain steady DPS.

Main - Crits all the time, has lots of stats to mix around to hit the hit caps, and still have high crit.

Alt - Even with best reforge tweaks there is no way to maintain decent hit rating and still have good crit stats.

Although a couple of fights in LFR I got lucky (alt) and got 1st or 2nd on DPS with huge crits strings. Thanks RNG!

Bottom line...

First reaction when seeing the "nerf" was @&^%#&^%@. After playing with it a few raids.

Meh. Still fine for the most part (with gear).

Us mages like to complain though..hehe...deal with it!

Well RNG spec is gonna RNG, most mages have been reporting a 10-20% loss in damage approximately. We're going to need parses for a couple of weeks before we get down to the real loss in dps.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I think my mage who is already exalted with Golden Lotus only did it twice. It's really rare sadly. It's like Blizzard hates fun dailies.

No NPC actually directs you to this daily quest when it's available and the NPC that gives it out is a bit away from the rest of the camp so it's quite likely you've had it but didn't realise it.

It is pretty much a quest that appears daily (hurr hurr) for me.

Tarazet

Well RNG spec is gonna RNG, most mages have been reporting a 10-20% loss in damage approximately. We're going to need parses for a couple of weeks before we get down to the real loss in dps.

Had a fire mage running in a random with us doing 90-95K on every pull. I would kill for that kind of RNG as a Feral Druid.

Neki

Had a fire mage running in a random with us doing 90-95K on every pull. I would kill for that kind of RNG as a Feral Druid.

Top DPS in my current guild is a feral, you just need some gear. And are we talking about a heroic, or an LFR? :p

mclem

fire, the most powerful dps spec (due to rng and scaling)

...on which note, as a non-mage, can someone clarify something for me?

The amount of times I ask one of our fire mages why they couldn't do X in time (where X is something like - most recently - taking out the orbs on Elegon), I get an answer along the lines of "I didn't get any crits/procs".

This has happened several times in the past umpteen months, and it's led me to this question: With the propensity of the playerbase to push so hard to reduce the influence of RNG, why is a DPS spec that's *so* reliant on RNG so celebrated?

I have a suspicion, but I'd like to hear other responses in case I'm missing something.

Bisnic

My frost mage can get almost 150k(even up to 200k during a few secs) DPS during AOE pulls if Frozen Orb is up since it allows me to spam glyphed Ice Lances non-stop, not to forget Frost Bombs explosions + free instant Frostfire bolts and the damage from Frozen Orb itself. :p

Shit is crazy.

For single target, well at least I can get like 70-80k depending on the boss.

Berordn

...on which note, as a non-mage, can someone clarify something for me?

The amount of times I ask one of our fire mages why they couldn't do X in time (where X is something like - most recently - taking out the orbs on Elegon), I get an answer along the lines of "I didn't get any crits/procs".

This has happened several times in the past umpteen months, and it's led me to this question: With the propensity of the playerbase to push so hard to reduce the influence of RNG, why is a DPS spec that's *so* reliant on RNG so celebrated?

I have a suspicion, but I'd like to hear other responses in case I'm missing something.

Procs are fun, honestly. It's really satisfying getting three pyroblasts chained together and then throwing combustion on something and watching it melt in front of your eyes. It does lead to issues with quick bursts, like on Elegon, but on a single target, it would have crits and heating up procs spread out over the fight and been less of an issue. Of course, it was less RNG dependent when you had almost 50% chance to crit on Fireball with critical mass, but that's old news now.

For Elegon though, I was actually having greater luck as Arcane. More burst on demand and it made him melt during the soft enrage burn.

(Side note: If your tanks aren't already doing something, it might help having them help on the orbs that people have trouble getting down consistently. We have our brewmaster cleave one side and our blood DK help out with one specifically and after that it's cake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom