• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

I've been really struggling with this but I've finally decided I'm gonna rock my ret paladin. I'm going to try to get my legendary cloak in time, no idea if that's possible. For me it's just such a fun melee class that I prefer over my enhance shammy and DK. I might end up faction changing him to a human paladin before WoD, I've always loved the look of them.

With how awesome Tauren are in WoD? For shame!

I know, I really like the way they look. I'm going to wait until 6.0 hits first before deciding.

Gotta say, if you have guilds or buddies on Alliance, a human paladin is the way to go. They definitely look better, imo. Tauren paladins look like an accident; I can see why Blizzard was hesitant to include them until Cataclysm; they definitely don't fit.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, haha.

That said, what race/class combos make the most sense to everyone? You could base your decision on lore, or on looks, or on any other factors I suppose.

Priest - Blood Elf (my main! and iirc, the Alliance priests in WC1-3 were High Elves, with the Horde priests being….trolls?)
Mage - Human (the Kirin Tor!), and Blood Elves - given Kael and the race's obsession with magic. I forget where Gnomes fit in with pre-WoW WC lore. Were they typically mages?
Warlock - Orcs, I suppose. I went with Undead because I wanted an undead character and thematically, the undead combo well with demons for me)
Druid - Night Elves; is there any other answer?
Rogue - IUNNO.
Shaman - Orcs (Thrall and all - I went with Draenei because they looked imposing as fuck, and because I bought the lore that Orcs learned their shamanism from exiled Draenei on the Draenor that was, oh, and because it was the only choice for shaman on Alliance back in BC)
Hunter - IUNNO - Night Elves back in the day, but I'm digging my Worgen hunter now.
Paladin - Humans. Arthas. 'buff said.
Warrior - IUNNO. Tauren really fit the bill here nicely for me. War Stomp feels like a Warrior skill too. They're massive. It fits nicely with the class' characteristics. I boosted a Tauren Warrior to 80 when I was Scroll'd two years ago. His name is Skycow. I'm very happy with him, even though he's just 86 now and I'm still learning how to tank well, haha.
Death Knight - This is the class where every race kind of fits.
Monk - lol, Pandaren. It's about as night and day a choice as Night Elf druids, imo.

Magnus

So I saw this over on the mmo champion forums and wanted to share. I think this guy has the right idea about LFR, what's wrong with it, and how to fix it.

I especially like the idea of the bolded. Thoughts?

I agree fully with the bolded, as well. However, I also agree with his last paragraph - it really would strip LFR of any players that know what they're doing, and make it even more terrible than it is.

All that said, I really haven't had the terrible LFR experiences everyone else has. Sure there's the occasional wipe, but after 6+ years of hardcore raiding (3+ nights a week), I'm used to the occasional wipe to progress, no matter the content I'm doing.

What makes me super sad about LFR though is just how stripped it is of all the fun mechanics and challenge. So many fights are reduced to tank/spank. As a Disc priest, I could seriously smite spam the entire fight, every fight, and appear to be doing a good job.

I wonder if Blizzard could introduce some kind of perk or reward into LFR for those that actually do a better job? The Satchel is a good start - (I feel like tanks/healers should always be getting those, regardless of whether there's a shortage of them or not), and maybe award a Satchel to top DPSers on some fights, or DPSers who pull off other good objectives for a given fight? I know, very half-baked solution. Just feel like something has to change in there.

So I saw this over on the mmo champion forums and wanted to share. I think this guy has the right idea about LFR, what's wrong with it, and how to fix it.

I haven't played in forever, but when I was still goofing around in MoP I was to the point where I wasn't interested in doing regular raiding with a guild and so I enjoyed the item level of LFR gear. Having said that, the guy makes a perfectly valid point about LFR ruining gear progression.

I have a question guys and gals...

How difficult / how much of a hassle would it be to get my account back that was tied to an authenticator?

I've been contemplating jumping back in, but no longer have the old style authenticator that was associated with the account.

StMeph

But I don't think blizzard will ever do it because then LFR would be populated entirely by baddies and casuals and they'd never kill anything and it would be even worse for them than it is now with the small percentage of quality people that do LFR and carry the rest of them. That is why it'll never be that way, and it's a damn shame.

If all of the ilevel/tier bonus/heirloom/mount rewards are removed from LFR, it can be nerfed into oblivion without anyone complaining. LFR is in a weird place because they wish that they'd never done it, but it's too popular to cut. People reacted pretty personally earlier in the thread too, when the LFR changes were first made public.

The author also ignores PvP as an avenue of gear for PvE, as the PvP related stats don't impact the ilevel budget of an item, except in the cases of socket bonuses. It's also sufficiently high enough in ilevel to qualify for Flex raids.

That said, what race/class combos make the most sense to everyone? You could base your decision on lore, or on looks, or on any other factors I suppose.

Priest - Blood Elf (my main! and iirc, the Alliance priests in WC1-3 were High Elves, with the Horde priests being….trolls?)
Mage - Human (the Kirin Tor!), and Blood Elves - given Kael and the race's obsession with magic. I forget where Gnomes fit in with pre-WoW WC lore. Were they typically mages?
Warlock - Orcs, I suppose. I went with Undead because I wanted an undead character and thematically, the undead combo well with demons for me)
Druid - Night Elves; is there any other answer?
Rogue - IUNNO.
Shaman - Orcs (Thrall and all - I went with Draenei because they looked imposing as fuck, and because I bought the lore that Orcs learned their shamanism from exiled Draenei on the Draenor that was, oh, and because it was the only choice for shaman on Alliance back in BC)
Hunter - IUNNO - Night Elves back in the day, but I'm digging my Worgen hunter now.
Paladin - Humans. Arthas. 'buff said.
Warrior - IUNNO. Tauren really fit the bill here nicely for me. War Stomp feels like a Warrior skill too. They're massive. It fits nicely with the class' characteristics. I boosted a Tauren Warrior to 80 when I was Scroll'd two years ago. His name is Skycow. I'm very happy with him, even though he's just 86 now and I'm still learning how to tank well, haha.
Death Knight - This is the class where every race kind of fits.
Monk - lol, Pandaren. It's about as night and day a choice as Night Elf druids, imo.
You can never go wrong with making a gnome warlock or warrior. I love seeing the little people decked out in outrageous armor.
GnomishHeadbuttingSuit.png

sogood.gif

ampere

His premise is wrong, though. You can get LFR equivalent gear from Challenge Mode daily quests (in WoD) and Garrisons can award Normal raid quality gear. There are alternatives planned in WoD.

You also have to take upgrades into account. Even if someone were a normal mode ToT raider, they'd have mostly 530 (522 + 4 + 4) gear when SoO came out. So the LFR gear (528) wasn't better out the gate.

Remains to be seen how it pans out.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My answers in bold, purely from lore/personal perspective:

Priest - Blood Elf (my main! and iirc, the Alliance priests in WC1-3 were High Elves, with the Horde priests being….trolls?) Mostly agree with that, though human and night elf (priestess of elune) are very iconic
Mage - Human (the Kirin Tor!), and Blood Elves - given Kael and the race's obsession with magic. I forget where Gnomes fit in with pre-WoW WC lore. Were they typically mages? Yeah, humans/blood elves for sure.
Warlock - Orcs, I suppose. I went with Undead because I wanted an undead character and thematically, the undead combo well with demons for me) Gul'Dan is the most iconic warlock on the franchise so I'd go with Orc.
Druid - Night Elves; is there any other answer? yeah no other choice really
Rogue - IUNNO. Human or Troll, I guess.
Shaman - Orcs (Thrall and all - I went with Draenei because they looked imposing as fuck, and because I bought the lore that Orcs learned their shamanism from exiled Draenei on the Draenor that was, oh, and because it was the only choice for shaman on Alliance back in BC) Orcs for sure
Hunter - IUNNO - Night Elves back in the day, but I'm digging my Worgen hunter now. I'd actually go with Troll, personally. They totally have that "stalk through the forest with an arrow drawn" vibe, and they have a very hunter/ranger relationship with their raptors
Paladin - Humans. Arthas. 'buff said. Yeah, no other option. Draenei aren't nearly as iconic paladins as Humans.
Warrior - IUNNO. Tauren really fit the bill here nicely for me. War Stomp feels like a Warrior skill too. They're massive. It fits nicely with the class' characteristics. I boosted a Tauren Warrior to 80 when I was Scroll'd two years ago. His name is Skycow. I'm very happy with him, even though he's just 86 now and I'm still learning how to tank well, haha. Tauren is a very good choice, I'd say Orc is a little more iconic as a Warrior, though.
Death Knight - This is the class where every race kind of fits. Human/orc fit the best thematically, but yeah everything works.
Monk - lol, Pandaren. It's about as night and day a choice as Night Elf druids, imo.troll monks all day! :p but yeah, clearly pandaren.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Warrior - Orc
Hunter - Orc
Warlock - Orc
Shaman - Orc
Rogue - Orc
Death Knight - Gonna go with Orc
Mage - Orc
Paladin - Orc Warrior in lookalike set

Shahadan

The bolded isn't bad design, it's made that way because you need a large amount of people in LFR. If people who raid didn't need to do LFR at all it would be a pain for other people to find a group, AND it has the advantage of teaching tactics in a less brutal manner.
It's a win-win situation.

Also if people couldn't raid and/or only had time for LFR in the previous tier they would be basically screwed.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'll break it down by Alliance and Horde!

Priest - Night Elf / Blood Elf
Druid - Night Elf / Tauren
Warrior - Dwarf / Orc
Hunter - Night Elf / Troll
Warlock - Worgen / Undead
Shaman - Dwarf / Troll
Rogue - Night Elf / Troll
Death Knight - Human / Undead
Mage - Gnome / Blood Elf
Paladin - Human / Blood Elf
Monk - Pandaren

TheContact

I have a question guys and gals...

How difficult / how much of a hassle would it be to get my account back that was tied to an authenticator?

I've been contemplating jumping back in, but no longer have the old style authenticator that was associated with the account.

It's pretty easy because a lot of people had this problem. Just check out their support pages for instructions on what to do. I can't remember exactly myself I just know it's nothing crazy annoying

He's ignoring several slots that can be filled with 522/553 crafted gear + 522 neck for peanuts VP + 535 trinket for a few hours of farming on Timeless Isle.

I wouldn't mind an alternative to LFR but I don't know if I agree that the problem is a lack of incentive more than it is a starvation of skilled players late into an expansion. The shortages of eager, patient and functionally intelligent players wasn't as acute early on.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Only 2 raid tiers in WoD

That apparently hinges on them actually getting the next xpac out fast, which is TOP LEL so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up stretching out to a third.

Anoregon

Or, WORST CASE scenario, there really are only 2 raid tiers, AND it's stretched out for even longer than SoO.

Oh, that's certainly possible, but it would be the biggest fuckup and PR disaster in blizzard history. It would just be a straight up failure with no possible PR spin at this point.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Oh, that's certainly possible, but it would be the biggest fuckup and PR disaster in blizzard history. It would just be a straight up failure with no possible PR spin at this point.

You know, for the most part, I'm seeing only a tiny blip on the radar for WoD taking so long to come out.

It's not that big a deal, not by a long shot.

Especially when you look at sub numbers, they drop at the same rate whether content is coming out at a consistent rate or not.

So, I have been running a lot of LFR due to cape farming, and I really don't find it THAT bad. The only thing that pisses me off is when people purposely die to mechanics early in a fight so they can AFK. I'm healing so it's pretty obvious when this happens. That said, pulling out the kill even with <10 people up is frequently still possible, and pretty fun as well.

People just being bad is forgivable, but being bad on purpose is not that cool. It seems like this would be addressable though. Seems like they could incentivize being active in LFR a bit more, rather than just being present.

Updated male draenei:

http://www.gfycat.com/PepperyDenseAmericanavocet

There's one big pet peeve I've had with draenei for a long time now and it's to do with the goatee + mustache beard option. When it was initially implemented it actually had no moustache. And it remained that way for several years I think, until suddenly it just appeared out of nowhere. Blizzard's reasoning for this was that this beard option had been bugged and the stache was meant to be there from the start. Well, bug or no bug, that was my favorite option and it ruined the look of my character. I imagine those who picked it from the start weren't too thrilled about the bait n switch either. The least they could do is implement an alternative option with just the goatee.
I remember this! I picked that for my Draenei Shaman on launch day. Then one day he magically sprouted a mustache.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So, I have been running a lot of LFR due to cape farming, and I really don't find it THAT bad. The only thing that pisses me off is when people purposely die to mechanics early in a fight so they can AFK. I'm healing so it's pretty obvious when this happens. That said, pulling out the kill even with <10 people up is frequently still possible, and pretty fun as well.

People just being bad is forgivable, but being bad on purpose is not that cool. It seems like this would be addressable though. Seems like they could incentivize being active in LFR a bit more, rather than just being present.

They're just making LFR pointless to anyone who raids above LFR now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
That apparently hinges on them actually getting the next xpac out fast, which is TOP LEL so I wouldn't be surprised if they end up stretching out to a third.

I don't want them to release xpacs too fast. Content is going to suffer and they're already expensive enough... We're going to end up with expansions half the size of normal expansions for probably the same price. Nope. I'd rather see major patches coming out faster and release an expansion every 2 years. MoP was going well until that long year drought after SoO.

I don't plan to ever LFR in Warlords if I can help it. Especially with the flex scaling. Should always be able to have an alt or two heroic geared/mythic ready being in such a large guild, if not with them through openraid or the new LFA/oQueue replacement.

Ultratech

So, I lead been running a lot of LFR due to actuale farming, and I really don't find it THAT bad. The only thing that pisses me off is when people purposely die to mechanics early in a fight so they can AFK. I'm healing so it's pretty obvious when this happens. That said, pulling out the kill even with <10 people up is frequently still possible, and pretty fun as well.

My problem with LFR is several things:
-People just don't listen or ignore mechanics
-People actively screwing up
-People taking advantage of Tank/Heal queues then going "fuck it."
-Very toxic environment which often leads to the above.

But making it an actual step to gearing didn't help things.

Manus

So in reality how long does it take to get the legendary cloak? I only just completed my rep grind for the black prince. The tokens shouldn't be too bad since I can tank LFR.

vocab

So in reality how long does it take to get the legendary cloak? I only just completed my rep grind for the black prince. The tokens shouldn't be too bad since I can tank LFR.

I got to test of valor in less than a few days on a fresh 90 (my third cloak) I even had to gear to get in all the lfrs). Test of valor automatically puts a 3 week gate on it automatically.

Id say you can easily get it before the end of the expansion.

Magnus

That'll get you the groups. It won't affect the dismal drop rates for all the various tokens. Give it 3 months I'd say&#8230;. :(

There exists the remote possibility that you only get Secrets/Runestones from the guaranteed drops, of which there are only 2 of each, I believe. It's horrible, but entirely possible.

Meaning it would take 10 weeks to get 20 Secrets, and 6 weeks for 12 Runestones. Assuming you do well and get an extra 2 of each a week, that drops it to 5 weeks for 20 Secrets, and 3 weeks for Runestones. That's two months right there, plus three weeks for valour.

3 months is a realistic and likely timeframe for the whole thing.

TheYanger

Eh, I think 2 months is a fair assessment still. Really, if the 3 weeks of valor didn't exist you could finish each step in 1-2 weeks. Sigils will likely only take 1 week, secrets 1.5, runestones 1.5-2. It just takes some planning in order to maximize your drops and be able to get lots of multiple steps per week. (For instance: Secrets drop in 6 total LFR wings, Runestones only drop in 4, your goal should be to finish secrets without touching the Runestone bosses for that second week ideally, which would then let you effectively double up. Make sure you queue LFR from right next to the prince and bail the instant you have your steps done to get the next one started, etc).

I've got 5 cloaks and the only one I spent more than maybe 2.5 months on was my main's before they buffed all the drop rates in the first place.

EDIT: Nope I'm wrong. 3 months. Ok, 2 months is probably only realistic if they have more black prince weeks when you're on secrets or runestones then.

I just resubbed recently. Previously I was playing a tank and did the legendary quest line with him. Would I have to start completely over from scratch if I wanted to get the legendaries on my warlock?

Anoregon

I just resubbed recently. Previously I was playing a tank and did the legendary quest line with him. Would I have to start completely over from scratch if I wanted to get the legendaries on my warlock?

It is separate on every character, so if you had not done anything on your warlock yet than yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom