• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT5| Where we're going, we're gonna need roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampere

The DK starting era blew my mind when Wrath was new. It was so damn cool.

Now it's a little tedious because I've done it a few times and there isn't really any option for variety. I feel the same way about the Goblin and Worgen starting areas. No freedom, too linear. Linear is OK if I only do something once, but multiple times and it's painful.

TheYanger

The DK starting era blew my mind when Wrath was new. It was so damn cool.

Now it's a little tedious because I've done it a few times and there isn't really any option for variety. I feel the same way about the Goblin and Worgen starting areas. No freedom, too linear. Linear is OK if I only do something once, but multiple times and it's painful.

Definitely, but at least the DK one is fast. the other two really drag. I never make those races when I RAF either for those reasons.

And doing it fast is no secret, it's just knowing the quests. I didn't count all the mograine RP either sometimes if you're unlucky you can be stuck there a REALLY long time depending on when you arrive. Sometimes you get lucky and it's instant. If you're alone, it's about 10 minutes though yeah.

strafer

There's no pleasing WoW players.

New Character Models

Why all the fuss or so little change. i can barely tell a difference. more would have been better.

Wanted to clarify that having the new character models look like the old models was intentional. We wanted to increase fidelity while retaining the same look and feel of the old models. The new models have more polygons, double the texture resolution, updated animation, and support for facial expressions.

While I agree the developers took the lazy way out, something is better than nothing at this point.

Am I disappointed all we really got was a slightly updated model with 2004 customization options. Would I like to see more body styles, hair cuts, subrace skins, and more little customization options? Yes, but I've accepted the fact that Blizzard won't ever do it because that would require more than the bare minimum of effort.

It's actually more of a challenge and require more iteration to make a higher resolution character model look like the old one as much as possible than it is to create something entirely new.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
*Blizzard spend years making updated player models*

WoW player(s) says : "the developers took the lazy way out" "Blizzard won't ever do it because that would require more than the bare minimum of effort"

"Fuck this shit, I'm out." -Blizzard developper(s)

RPGCrazied

There's no pleasing WoW players.

I generally like all of them, but have you seen the night elf male running animation? That seriously needs more work.

And the better not screw up blood elf males.

Also the Blizzcon Virtual Ticket is up. Not doing it this year though, did it for about 4 years. I have enough murloc pets, and I seriously doubt they are going to announce another expansion with WoD barely out by then.

CassSept

Wow, I thought DK starting area was one of the few facets of WoW that was universally loved. It blew my mind back in the day, it was incredible.

TheYanger

I generally like all of them, but have you seen the night elf male running animation? That seriously needs more work.

And the better not screw up blood elf males.

Also the Blizzcon Virtual Ticket is up. Not doing it this year though, did it for about 4 years. I have enough murloc pets, and I seriously doubt they are going to announce another expansion with WoD barely out by then.

People are complaining that they look too similar to the ones we have now. IE: the entire reason it's hard to make them at all.

Salamando

If they announce it next year, it pretty much guarantees another 24 months between expansions. And we all know they'll finally nail their 18 month cycle this time, right? right?

Magnus

I like most of the updated models as much as you guys, but...I kind of get where the fan anger is coming from.

The new models still don't...look like anything out of the modern gaming era. People were wrong to expect otherwise - with a blizzard game, the latest and greatest always looks like something that would have been cutting edge about 7 or 8 years prior. People were probably (mistakenly) expecting something incredibly detailed on par with the most detailed and complex npcs currently in the game instead of just a catch-up.

I hope I'm not sounding bitchy. I'm happy with how they turned out and expected something roughly on par with what we're getting. But. Yeah. They're nothing earth-shattering. They're a catch up. What's great though is how well they've preserved a lot of the 'character' from the old models' faces (human female hilariously notwithstanding)

CassSept

If they announce it next year, it pretty much guarantees another 24 months between expansions. And we all know they'll finally nail their 18 month cycle this time, right? right?

There's no way they'll announce a new expansion 6 days before the release of Warlords of Draenor. There's absolutely no possible way this happens. Now this is something I'd be willing to do a 30-year avatar bet on.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
There's no way they'll announce a new expansion 6 days before the release of Warlords of Draenor. There's absolutely no possible way this happens. Now this is something I'd be willing to do a 30-year avatar bet on.

not to mention they usually only do one expansion announcement thingy at a time right?

This is the year of Starcraft for Legacy of the void.

Magnus

This for sure. Why in the world would you shoot your impending expansion in the foot by hinting at something 2 years away?

I'd be surprised if they even show off 6.1 content, but at least that would reinforce WoD sales and only get people more excited to dip into the expansion.

Salamando

It'll be awkward no matter when they announce it. This Blizzcon, it'll be before the start of Warlords. Next Blizzcon, it'll be at or very close to the end. Unless they forgo the Blizzcon announcement alltogether.

Ultratech

Speaking of bag space and storing items... I feel like that is one of the sleeper hit features of Warlords. Sure, everyone who has been following it closely probably knows about the changes, but I'm sure a lot of players will log on when 6.0 hits and be blown away.

Crafting mats get a separate bank tab and stack to 100, the account wide Toy Box... another page of Void Storage, I mean I'm pretty excited :). I'll probably have to re-do a bunch of old quests to get 'Toys' that I discarded due to bag space problems.

Supposedly in 6.1 we'll get the Tabard Tab and Heirloom Tab, like the way mounts are stored currently. This would be very awesome.

Then down the road there is a chance they make Transmog more like the Diablo system so you don't have to keep the items if you don't want to.

I thought Crafting mats stacked to 200?
Plus you can craft with the Crafting Mats Tab wherever you are.

(Also, I need a Shirt Tab. I can't hold all these shirts from Brawler's Guild.)

A Transmog Revamp would be pretty nice though.

ampere

I thought Crafting mats stacked to 200?
Plus you can craft with the Crafting Mats Tab wherever you are.

(Also, I need a Shirt Tab. I can't hold all these shirts from Brawler's Guild.)

A Transmog Revamp would be pretty nice though.

It might be 200, I just know it's a lot more than 20 lol

And yes I hope this "Tabard Tab" holds shirts too

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck Lei Shi and fuck LFR

also fuck that little pause in the extra roll where for a split second your heart races...only to once again go "fuck!" when its not what you need :(

Fjordson

Rösti;128441102 said:
You used to be able to escape the starting area by some simple disconnection tricks using an XYZ location that was marked as "unknown" and auto unstuck. But it's been fixed since long, though you can still explore the entire map if you like. There's also a long standing rumour that RAoV (Google if you haven't heard) found a way to teleport other classes to this instance and have them complete the quests there. But I've never seen it verified (probably some information on it in the Elite section of Ownedcore).
Haha, that's amazing. Rosti dropping knowledge as usual.

In nearly 10 years of playing, I've never really used any bar or bag addons. This image has single-handedly changed my mind on the latter.

Holy shit. I need this.
AdiBags is excellent, I definitely recommend it. Got it last year and haven't looked back.

Just dinged 90 on my Paladin. Paladins are so much fun to play. I always seem to forget that. 9 out of 11 classes are parked at lvl 90. My WOW subscription expires this Saturday. I need to test my video card on other games and possibly RMA it. The driver keeps crashing and I don't believe it's a software, driver, or OS issue since I've re-installed them all.

Just dinged 90 on my Paladin. Paladins are so much fun to play. I always seem to forget that. 9 out of 11 classes are parked at lvl 90. My WOW subscription expires this Saturday. I need to test my video card on other games and possibly RMA it. The driver keeps crashing and I don't believe it's a software, driver, or OS issue since I've re-installed them all.
Paladins are pure awesome. I think I only managed to get 4 classes to max level in MoP: a lock (my main); a rogue; a paladin; and a warrior. I was working on a druid and a priest, but didn't finish. Out of all of them, the pally was by far my favorite to level.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Paladins are pure awesome. I think I only managed to get 4 classes to max level in MoP: a lock (my main); a rogue; a paladin; and a warrior. I was working on a druid and a priest, but didn't finish. Out of all of them, the pally was by far my favorite to level.
What spec are you guys playing? I have a pally (Holy as primary, prot as secondary) and I love love love Paladin lore and aesthetics, but my Priest seems more fun to heal with and my Warrior seems more fun to tank with. Am I missing out on something? I really want Paladin to be fun. plz help.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
It might be 200, I just know it's a lot more than 20 lol

And yes I hope this "Tabard Tab" holds shirts too

This sounds good but this will destroy me. i need to have things even. This means im going to have to collect 200 of everything just to make sure there is a full stack. Great change btw. i cant wait to see what my bag space is. Maybe my mail will get cleared out now.

What spec are you guys playing? I have a pally (Holy as primary, prot as secondary) and I love love love Paladin lore and aesthetics, but my Priest seems more fun to heal with and my Warrior seems more fun to tank with. Am I missing out on something? I really want Paladin to be fun. plz help.

From 1-85, I queued dungeons for insta queue by having tank and healer specs, for 85-90 with full rest xp, I went ret. I felt very powerful as Ret. Any death I had, it felt like it was my mistake.

I've always mained as a Mage, but if I had to go melee, it would be very hard to choose between Paladin and DK. Kind of funny lore wise considering DK's are fallen Palys.

CassSept

It'll be awkward no matter when they announce it. This Blizzcon, it'll be before the start of Warlords. Next Blizzcon, it'll be at or very close to the end. Unless they forgo the Blizzcon announcement alltogether.

Well, Warlords of Draenor was announced after Siege of Orgrimmar was released. People expected it to be released far earlier than freaking November though and certainly didn't expect Mists of Pandaria would end up being the longest expansion of the game, especially with post-Cata reduced tier count. They majorly screwed up by dumping all the tiers way too quickly, just like in WotLK (4 tiers in a year, 12 months of ICC).

JesseZao

Well, Warlords of Draenor was announced after Siege of Orgrimmar was released. People expected it to be released far earlier than freaking November though and certainly didn't expect Mists of Pandaria would end up being the longest expansion of the game, especially with post-Cata reduced tier count. They majorly screwed up by dumping all the tiers way too quickly, just like in WotLK (4 tiers in a year, 12 months of ICC).

Gotta keep the pace to retain subs. They'll lose ppl as the expansion drags anyway. I think it's fine to have some breathing room at the end. That when all the lifers roll alts.

The main thing with Wrath was that Ulduar was far too short before ToGC was released. Regardless of it being one of the best instances in the game, as current content it could have stood to be around for 2-3 months more at least. That certainly would have helped. Though it's not like ICC was bad either. Probably better than SoO.

Salamando

Actually considered Mist's schedule to work nicely. The time between tiers was good enough that my guild was able to clear normal mode and about a third to a half of heroic. Considering how casual we were, I think that's pretty good. We didn't have the roster nor discipline for real heroic raiding, so slower tiers would've just netted more Heroic headaches.

Hoping warlords either goes for 4 tiers or a 18 month cycle.

Cipherr

The main thing with Wrath was that Ulduar was far too short before ToGC was released. Regardless of it being one of the best instances in the game, as current content it could have stood to be around for 2-3 months more at least. That certainly would have helped. Though it's not like ICC was bad either. Probably better than SoO.

I can't remember how long it was between Uld and ToC. Is there a place that kept track of the dates?

antonz

Had a world drop Epic occur in Beta. Ilvl 665 Ring. Level 100 but oddly it dropped in Talador. On live that thing would sell for so much

Signet of the Traitor General
196 Stamina
99 Agility
99 Strength
130 Haste
66 Critical Strike.

CassSept

^Isn't WoWwiki a mess since most of editors moved onto WoWpedia?

I think some additional breathing room would have not hurt, especially for Throne of Thunder. I was not too fond of Heart of Fear though, it was mostly boring and I even like the mantid, it was just monotonous.

I can't remember how long it was between Uld and ToC. Is there a place that kept track of the dates?

It was a joke, Ulduar was actually the shortest tier in WotLK and the place was massive (bosses then bosses on hard mode) and challenging. Probably greatest disgrace to any content in the history of this game, even ToC was around for longer as the relevant tier. Vanilla and TBC raids don't really count because leapfrogging tiers was not feasible.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
http://www.wowwiki.com/Patches

April 14 - August 4th. So less than 4 months.

Same deal the first two tiers this Xpac. just need to give em room to breathe, Tier 14 (first in mop) was actually super fun, but we barely got to experience it.

If you go back and do the math on the mop patches, there is 60 days after release for the first patch, then 90, then 60 and then 90.

It was perfect, give or take a few days, another 60 days and then bam new expac would've been perfection.

So how did they fuck this up so royally?

Ulduar might be my favorite wow raid. The introduction of hard modes was great, definitely some very memorable fights. Why they rushed it for the steaming pile of boring that was ToC I'll never know...

Now why would you go and do something like that? Didn't you see the sign that said 'DO NOT PUSH THIS BUTTON!'?

TheYanger

If you go back and do the math on the mop patches, there is 60 days after release for the first patch, then 90, then 60 and then 90.

It was perfect, give or take a few days, another 60 days and then bam new expac would've been perfection.

So how did they fuck this up so royally?

Ehh, they can spread those to 90 90 90 90 and it'd be a lot smoother. You're talking about only 90 days to go through a raid tier the way you're discussing it, which is way too short. There's no harm in letting people play with a piece of content enough until they're actually ready for the next one, they don't just have to go through it once.

Patch cycles isn't exactly the best way to consider it either since those aren't all major raid tiers, but it works ok enough. Realistically every tier can easily support 6 months unless it's SUPER short. Mists tiers were all really long, they all could have gone on longer and nobody would've complained, and then we'd be looking at like 8 months of siege instead of 12. That's a LOT less bad.

M.D

So..

I'm about to hit 89, but the quest chain has led me to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, which is level 90 zone

Should I go there, or should I go to Dread Wastes?

strafer

I used Joanas guide once. >.<

joana4days.jpg

Shahadan

So..

I'm about to hit 89, but the quest chain has led me to the Vale of Eternal Blossoms, which is level 90 zone

Should I go there, or should I go to Dread Wastes?

Go to the Vale, it's not a questing zone. Just go there to unlock the capital and go back to Dread Wastes after that.

See I started SoO in late December/January, so I'm not as burnt out on it as the people who've been raiding it since last September. Especially with a couple of heroic bosses left. If a raid tier is 12-14 bosses like that it can easily last at least 5-6 months if not longer without going stale for all but the highest-end players. Farm content isn't necessarily a bad thing. Now if it does go like 7+ months a tier, you definitely need some other content or minor patch(es) in there to keep people occupied.

Some crazy formula would be something like 2/3s x bosses in tier/difficulty quotient = number of months it should last.

Magnus

I think my first 60 (Paladin) took 11-12 days /played

So <5 days is incredible looking back. How times change.

Yeah. My first main (also a paladin) was 21 days played. Lol.

I loved to wander and explore and just dick around in the capitals.

Felspawn

Paladins are great, Pally and DK are hands down my favorite classes. (warlock is further back in 3rd). Good luck with the RMA. Wow doesnt need much to run. I've been getting by on my i7's internal video since i've sold my GTX 560 Ti SLI setup and am waiting for Nvidia's new card coming later this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom