• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Meant for pve. Even arcane is better now. For pvp I'm still liking arcane as well just because I'm sick of frost lol.

JSoup

Banned
Meant for pve. Even arcane is better now. For pvp I'm still liking arcane as well just because I'm sick of frost lol.

I felt so gimped using arcane through Cata and MoP, but I'm liking it now. Frost still feels a little busy to me, but, like I said, I'm sure it's just a rotation issue.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I felt so gimped using arcane through Cata and MoP, but I'm liking it now. Frost still feels a little busy to me, but, like I said, I'm sure it's just a rotation issue.

Did you take frost bomb? If so, I highly recommend refreshing your memory with how to use it/keep up fingers/use your pet. Check out a guide or forum post. Also, are you dropping ring of frost preemptively before spawn?

I'm honestly surprised how many people play mage here. After vanilla it really took a nosedive in popularity I felt.

JSoup

Banned
Did you take frost bomb? If so, I highly recommend refreshing your memory with how to use it/keep up fingers/use your pet. Check out a guide or forum post. Also, are you dropping ring of frost preemptively before spawn?.

Well, firstly, I need to practice and learn how to do those things, as I have only a fleeting idea that came from a couple educated guesses, but I took frost orb on the recommendation of a video I looked up. Lots of stuff to read up on.

I'm honestly surprised how many people play mage here. After vanilla it really took a nosedive in popularity I felt.

I normally go for the spell casting classes first in RPG games. I picked mage specifically because Yahtzee made it sound like a good soloing class under the "magic user" umbrella.

Did you take frost bomb? If so, I highly recommend refreshing your memory with how to use it/keep up fingers/use your pet. Check out a guide or forum post. Also, are you dropping ring of frost preemptively before spawn?

I still have my level 70 full gladiator mage from WOTLK. Haven't touched him in years

Hellers

I came back after skipping most of MoP and leveling my mage from 85-90 was the single most painful experience I have ever had.I was ultra squishy and felt like I was doing hardly any damage at all (I tried all three specs) I was dreading it when I started getting her going in WoD but surprisingly it's been no issue (Leveling anyway) The stat squish seems to have had a very positive effect there. Then getting enhanced water ele as my level 94 perk upped it even more. I know it's meaningless but during normal dungeon runs I'm always at least second on the dps tables if not first so I'm pretty happy there.

What I'm not so pleased about is how often a mage has to sit down and eat during leveling. It's like some throwback to olden days. Just feels weird and no other class I play even carries food around with them apart from my DK who is also my cook so has a reason to :)

Hellers

I normally go for the spell casting classes first in RPG games. I picked mage specifically because Yahtzee made it sound like a good soloing class under the "magic user" umbrella.

I'd say out of Mage and Warlock I'd go for Warlock for easy leveling. Like hunter you get the option of a tanking pet which makes stuff the Mage would take damage on utterly trivial.

Mind you my water ele is now 40% smaller which make him better than my voidlord.

I'm an expert

Well, firstly, I need to practice and learn how to do those things, as I have only a fleeting idea that came from a couple educated guesses, but I took frost orb on the recommendation of a video I looked up. Lots of stuff to read up on.

Frost orb is a skill every frost mage has. We're talking about your tier 75 talent and whether you took bomb or nova. Yeah, in general just read up, watch some videos, learn the spec. It's the hardest to play of the three, no question.

I came back after skipping most of MoP and leveling my mage from 85-90 was the single most painful experience I have ever had.I was ultra squishy and felt like I was doing hardly any damage at all (I tried all three specs) I was dreading it when I started getting her going in WoD but surprisingly it's been no issue (Leveling anyway) The stat squish seems to have had a very positive effect there. Then getting enhanced water ele as my level 94 perk upped it even more. I know it's meaningless but during normal dungeon runs I'm always at least second on the dps tables if not first so I'm pretty happy there.

What I'm not so pleased about is how often a mage has to sit down and eat during leveling. It's like some throwback to olden days. Just feels weird and no other class I play even carries food around with them apart from my DK who is also my cook so has a reason to :)

This is all totally fixed. Mage is an utter monster doing 90-100. How he's gonna be in high end pve/pvp we'll see, but the leveling experience was a joy and his dps in dungeons is respectable. Wait.. you're saying you had ti sit down and eat now? I never had that issue whatsoever from 90-100 as arcane, but I also take ice barrier.

JSoup

Banned
Frost orb is a skill every frost mage has. We're talking about your tier 75 talent and whether you took bomb or nova. Yeah, in general just read up, watch some videos, learn the spec. It's the hardest to play of the three, no question.

This is all totally fixed. Mage is an utter monster doing 90-100. How he's gonna be in high end pve/pvp we'll see, but the leveling experience was a joy and his dps in dungeons is respectable.

Ah. Don't remember what I took and the game is down. I'll get back to you on that one later.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Oh GAF, help me, WoD is calling me back to WoW. Must.... Resist....

(Wow History: Played from Vanilla to Late TBC, missed WOTLK, Came Back for Cata, Left again about 2.5 years ago)

Got the 10 day trial running to either satiate my urge, or see it drag me back in.

Pro's:
Lots of new content to experience, having missed an expansion again

Cons:
Old server is a ghostland, so I'd need to consider restarting from scratch on a new realm (no alts, gold etc.)

I'm an expert

Oh GAF, help me, WoD is calling me back to WoW. Must.... Resist....

(Wow History: Played from Vanilla to Late TBC, missed WOTLK, Came Back for Cata, Left again about 2.5 years ago)

Got the 10 day trial running to either satiate my urge, or see it drag me back in.

Pro's:
Lots of new content to experience, having missed an expansion again

Cons:
Old server is a ghostland, so I'd need to consider restarting from scratch on a new realm (no alts, gold etc.)

First, the game is worth it to come back for, that's easy. Second, is your server REALLY a ghostland? Have they offered transfers? The truth is with all the mergers and cross servers groups/dungeons/raids/pvp/OQ/everything you really can't be left out of stuff. But if all of your towns are empty and your AH is barren, then yeah, might as well just push the reset button.

Ah. Don't remember what I took and the game is down. I'll get back to you on that one later.

(assuming this link works) Here's your best bet for talents/glyphs to get it done. Note, you will have to read/practice even more with alter time.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/talent-calculator#eba!2002010!dWU

Or if you want the whole experience, get crystal.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Well, relative to it's old population it's not good according to some old guildmates that are still there even after a merge, I was kind of tipped off when on the realm selection the realm appears as "New Players" and they say the raid scene on the server has effectively cratered.

Leaving gold/alts there will be so bad, might have to stump up for a transfer just to transfer my old wealth haha :p

I'm an expert

Well, relative to it's old population it's not good according to some old guildmates that are still there even after a merge, I was kind of tipped off when on the realm selection the realm appears as "New Players" and they say the raid scene on the server has effectively cratered.

Leaving gold/alts there will be so bad, might have to stump up for a transfer just to transfer my old wealth haha :p

If you have more than 10k gold I'd say yeah, might as well just pay to ship one character off. Anything under 10k.. I dunno.. the cash value of gold/the actual transfer doesn't really even out and with your 90 boost you save so much time on just a fresh new char. If the char you want to play is 85 it's very fast to do 85-90 and then you can immediately boost a new alt to 90 on the new server.

Osiris

If you have more than 10k gold I'd say yeah, might as well just pay to ship one character off. Anything under 10k.. I dunno.. the cash value of gold/the actual transfer doesn't really even out and with your 90 boost you save so much time on just a fresh new char. If the char you want to play is 85 it's very fast to do 85-90 and then you can immediately boost a new alt to 90 on the new server.

Probably 17-20k or so across all my alts, Need to go do some sums :p

And yeah, was planning on doing one of my old ones as 85-100, and saving the boost to get another to 90 fast, seems the most efficient option.

I'm an expert

Then yeah, 20k will basically let you smoothly transition into garrisons and give you a bit of wiggle room with professions. You just won't have any cash to spend on luxuries. One transfer+one boost sounds the best.

Tarazet

I know you probably took Frost Bomb from how you describe it. I took Icy Nova to try it out. Spectacular talent for leveling and it's simming better than the other talents in raid gear too. You will one-shot some squishy mobs if you crit them.

I'm an expert

Nova is THE leveling talent, no doubt, same with supernova. They're incredible burst. In heroics (and I'm assuming raids) I think frost bomb starts to outshine it though, assuming you have the skill to manage it.

Osiris

Well I know which char I would transfer, still have my first char from Vanilla, Warlock who got his Dreadsteed the old fashioned way, aka spamming chat for months to get a group to not only actually go to DM, but to help with the quest there.

Ahh, the good old days, when an AoE at the first room in Scholomance could pull Rattlegore and he would train the whole instance on you and your party, funny stuff :D

(AoE's used to ignore depth / Z-levels in early vanilla, and activated on all floors under the one you targeted as well haha :D)

Jag

One of the addons I use for my garrison missions has a countdown until the mission goes away from the list. It's one of the addons that was on mmo-champions frontpage 3-4 days ago.

I highly recommend using those addons they listed because they really help you out.

Shows success chance on main page.
Shows cooldown on followers, when will they become available.
Speeds up the review of finished missions.
Shows how many followers you have that can counter different stuff.
Can automatically assign a group for missions with more than one follower. Gives 3 options with a given success rate for each composition.

Garrison Mission Manager and Mission Plan. Absolutely essential for managing missions. I put it in as our Message of the Day for guildies because it is that good. It even gives you combinations for 100% that you may not even realize you had.

styl3s

Any Warriors in here? I saved my boost because i wanted to get my Feral Druid 100 since i have been playing a Druid since the game launched and the DPS i was doing was so pathetic i ended up using the boost on the Warrior to Tank (when our main tank isn't on) and DPS when he is. Leveling as a Prot Warrior which i absolutely love but my question is, is DPS'ing as a Prot Warrior even viable? Should i swap to Fury or Arms?

I'm an expert

Any Warriors in here? I saved my boost because i wanted to get my Feral Druid 100 since i have been playing a Druid since the game launched and the DPS i was doing was so pathetic i ended up using the boost on the Warrior to Tank (when our main tank isn't on) and DPS when he is. Leveling as a Prot Warrior which i absolutely love but my question is, is DPS'ing as a Prot Warrior even viable? Should i swap to Fury or Arms?

Main war tank here. Do you mean for leveling or for end game? End game glad stance is insane, great dps. Prot war dps in general is also really good but they just nerfed us a bit last week. For leveling (I do have heroic heirloom and upgraded quest gear) I basically 2-3 shot mobs as prot. If you just mean being a dedicated dps, there's no reason not to just go fury.. but it's a playstyle thing at this point. If you want sword and board dps, you can do it now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Pretty much all the warrior specs are viable right now. I just don't see gladiator being raid viable once they balance it. Or I'd be really surprised based on them having to balance that while still making it not way too strong like it is right now (and has been since beta)

styl3s

Main war tank here. Do you mean for leveling or for end game? End game glad stance is insane, great dps. Prot war dps in general is also really good but they just nerfed us a bit last week. For leveling (I do have heroic heirloom and upgraded quest gear) I basically 2-3 shot mobs as prot. If you just mean being a dedicated dps, there's no reason not to just go fury.. but it's a playstyle thing at this point. If you want sword and board dps, you can do it now.
My Warrior is 97 and i am leveling him to 100 as Prot because i find the survivability and play style just more fun. I want Prot as my main since our other Tank is being shipped out this month but for heroics and stuff i will be playing the DPS role since my buddy is our main tank and is probably 1000x better then i ever will be at playing a tank.

Basically i am just wondering if i can DPS as a prot in the heroics and do well enough that i don't have to spend a bunch of time getting gear for Fury because i already spent a ton of time gearing up my Feral Druid and i will be spending a lot of time gearing my Prot Warrior.

I'm an expert

Just go glad stance. Or set your loot drops to whatever spec you want.

Bizazedo

The inn quests to get an item really need to be for completing that dungeon. It's not fun queuing for 45 minutes as DPS to get into a dungeon and see the tank and healer loot an item and leave.

Yeah, putting the quest items near the beginning or the halfway points of dungeons is already starting to get irritating. We lost two straight healers and a DPS in one Heroic Skyreach last night. They were replaced fairly quickly, but it was still annoying.

So 15 mins before the servers are going down I get a highmaul follower mission. Unfortunately my good followers won't be available by then. The mission wont go away after the reset right?

I really wish we could cancel / call back missions in some way. Some times I get missions I have no interest in and they sit there for days.

lazygecko

They should add "PvP" follower missions (FvF?). Send your followers out to gank other people's followers and make them fail their mission.

Mupod

finally hit 100 last night, I did some fiddling with my bars to accomodate Claws of Shirvallah being able to cast cyclone/decurse/roots. Also switched to wild charge, typhoon, and cenarion ward. So now I have EVERY keybind that my hands can actually perform used up. I kinda miss my Naga now. I do understand why ravage/pounce got consolidated into other skills now, at least.

Not terribly sure where to start gearing. I guess just hop into some dungeons? I tried to do Ashran but sat in queue for over an hour before I gave up and went to bed. Dungeons are probably a good idea anyways since I could use some practice, I didn't level as bear and I'm still getting used to the new abilities. Particularly Savage Defense, which I didn't look too closely at before...if I'd noticed it had a 12 second cooldown maybe I wouldn't have sat at max rage so much in dungeons. Probably a good thing I figured it out before doing Skyreach at least.

The Tavern isn't really delivering in the way I was hoping...the resources and shards I'm getting from the daily quests are pathetic, are they much better at 100? After I clear my dungeon quests today I'll probably demolish it in favor of something else until I have my base built up. Maybe trading post since I have an excess of primal spirits from herbalism. A shame because I liked seeing random NPCs like Moroes show up in the tavern.

I've done everything I can to amass resources, but it feels like the only thing bringing them in reliably is my blood elf lady with the double resources from missions ability. And that's only because I keep getting lucky and she's clearing them despite 51% chances. I need another 800 just for my fortress, and then even more after that.

mclem

Anyone actually got anything other then the Focus Augment Rune from the Call to Arms satchel?

I think it's spec-dependent - I've only ever got Stout as a strength class. But yes, never had anything other than an augment. That's why I said the satchels really aren't as exciting as they once were.

Giggzy

I have every graphics setting as high as it can go and I'm using CMAA. Pretty sure I have screenshot quality at its highest setting in the WTF (I think?) file as well.

If anyone knows more tricks to make it look even better I'm all ears

Do you downsample? I can't exactly recall what resolution I'm downsampling from as the GeForce program did it for me. I think it's at 2500x1600 or around there, but it makes WoW look absolutely beautiful with everything else maxed out too. I marvel at how good this game can look considering its age.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
The great thing about Gladiator Stance is that you can use the exact same gear as for tank spec and do good DPS, and vice versa. If you're 100% min-maxing you'll probably want to weigh certain stats more heavily than others, but even in glad stance bonus armor is something you want.

The not-so-great thing about Glad stance is that it isn't its own spec, so you have to retalent/reglyph often, depending on whether you're tanking or not, as you'll almost certainly want some talents in Glad stance and other talents for tanking. I leveled mostly as Fury though, but with the damage tanks do, can't go wrong as Prot either way, unless you prefer another spec.

Hellers

My plan tonight is to finish the last k of rep I need for a Uldum camel mount (I skipped most of Cata and MoP) and then carry on fishing and cooking with my Death Knight. I crafted myself a nice 36 slot tackle box. I have my walrus man rod and my fishing hat and a few of the +200 worm thingies I fished up earlier.

Fishing hardcore. Staring at the screen for hours on end clicking every 10 seconds or so. Thrilling stuff

Bizazedo

The great thing about Gladiator Stance is that you can use the exact same gear as for tank spec and do good DPS, and vice versa. If you're 100% min-maxing you'll probably want to weigh certain stats more heavily than others, but even in glad stance bonus armor is something you want.

The not-so-great thing about Glad stance is that it isn't its own spec, so you have to retalent/reglyph often, depending on whether you're tanking or not, as you'll almost certainly want some talents in Glad stance and other talents for tanking. I leveled mostly as Fury though, but with the damage tanks do, can't go wrong as Prot either way, unless you prefer another spec.

Agreed. I need to min-max it more as people in this thread are posting higher numbers than what I am achieving, but yeah, Gladiator is a lot of fun surprisingly.

That being said, it probably helps that I hate what they did to Arms, so that makes Glad seem more appealing. I might drop Arms for the first time ever to try Fury due to it.

Oak

Neo Member
Wanting to boost my new alt, is it worth leveling them to 60 before so they can get 600 professions, or do the changes mean this isn't much of a big deal any more?

Wanting to boost my new alt, is it worth leveling them to 60 before so they can get 600 professions, or do the changes mean this isn't much of a big deal any more?

Not much of a big deal. You can craft any Draenor item from your profession even if your skill is at 1. I'd say do the straight boost. I did it and have had zero regrets.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

It's kind of worth it i'd say. 1-60 doesnt take particularly long anyways and leveling professions to 600 still kind of sucks but it isn't as important as it used to be. Engineering is probably the one that benefits from the boost the most as other professions don't have as many cool thing to craft.

Hellers

Engineering is really easy to level to 600 though. You just need a lot of blackrock ore and you can get straight there making mecha blast rockets. Not all the professions have an equivalent craftable item I don't think.

Jag

How's hunter go as far as soloing content? Are they still up there? Obviously not as good as DK

90-100 content? I think Hunter is by far the best soloing class. I have every class at 90 and working on my 3rd 100 for comparison.

BM pets (with spirit beasts) are nearly unkillable and viable tanks for the elite 100 level mobs. It just takes forever to kill them.

They really need to give you something for finishing a hc besides 50 garrison resources first time only, I always leave if the rest of the bosses don't got what I need, there's no incentive. Gimme some chystals or something.

Yeah, wth is up with that? We're 2-3 weeks into the expansion and queues for a heroic are like 37-45 minutes?? That's on random ffs. Every time I see that damn average time keep creeping up and up I see Mr. Burns with his fingertips in a pyramid maniacally laughing, while yelling "you JUST bought a 2 month pre-paid card and activated it! MUAH HA HA HA!"

I've honestly never had a hc queue over 20 mins so far in WoD as dps.

Normal queues were pretty long tho. I started tanking now anways, I just like to do every HC as DPS first.

Giggzy

Engineering is really easy to level to 600 though. You just need a lot of blackrock ore and you can get straight there making mecha blast rockets. Not all the professions have an equivalent craftable item I don't think.

I did this yesterday, it was great. Bought 1800 blackrock ore and crafted those rockets all the way to 630 skill level. Only costed me 1.5k gold or so. Not bad.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Getting Engineering to 600 yields...what exactly?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I don't even know what to do with Blackrock Ores. I think I have over 400 gathered from the Garrison mines or work orders, yet Blacksmithing barely need those. =/ It's all True Iron or Truesteel.

Top Bottom