• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't even know what to do with Blackrock Ores. I think I have over 400 gathered from the Garrison mines or work orders, yet Blacksmithing barely need those. =/ It's all True Iron or Truesteel.

Ya, ore is worthless due there being no demand/use for it outside of the paltry amount you need for daily crafts/work orders, not due to the supply. Blizzard nerfing mine output will have no effect.

I don't even know what to do with Blackrock Ores. I think I have over 400 gathered from the Garrison mines or work orders, yet Blacksmithing barely need those. =/ It's all True Iron or Truesteel.

Other professions need blackrock and sell all the other ore. I am sure there is a decent market down the road for blackrock once the effects of the mine nerf start to draw out.

Tacitus_

Ya, ore is worthless due there being no demand/use for it outside of the paltry amount you need for daily crafts/work orders, not due to the supply. Blizzard nerfing mine output will have no effect.

I felt the effect on true iron, but I am drowning in blackrock ore.

Other professions need blackrock and sell all the other ore. I am sure there is a decent market down the road for blackrock once the effects of the mine nerf start to draw out.

There is no profession that uses even close to the amount of ore you get from even the post-nerf level 3 mine.

Even if they removed the mine ENTIRELY, ore would still be dirt cheap due to an abundance of farmers and a complete lack of things to do with the ore. It's kind of a weird move by Blizz. Gathering professions really are just useless in this exp.

Bizazedo

There is no profession that uses even close to the amount of ore you get from even the post-nerf level 3 mine.

Even if they removed the mine ENTIRELY, ore would still be dirt cheap due to an abundance of farmers and a complete lack of things to do with the ore. It's kind of a weird move by Blizz. Gathering professions really are just useless in this exp.

I've heard a theory from multiple people that this'd be a good way to phase out the profession altogether. Make professions even more casual friendly.

EVERYONE can mine. EVERYONE can pick flowers. Etc etc.

Entropia

No One Remembers
It's weird how EVERYONE can mine and herb, but if you want to DE or get leather you need to waste a garrison building.

Anyone up for some suggestions to update my UI in the game? X-Perl started acting up with the pre-expansion patch and even updating it (through the Curse program) it still wasn't showing properly. So I grabbed Shadowed Unit Frames and I'm not completely sold. Or maybe it's fine but I need others to augment things?

I'd really just like something that's simple and clean. And one thing X-Perl had that I really want back is having the screen edge turn red when I went under a set percentage of health. Any add-ons specifically do this or UI packages that have this as an option? I can't find it in ShadowedUF and I've been so used to it that I lose track of my health and have died from not realizing I was that low on health.

I think it might be time I look into full changes of action bars, unit frames, and even things like the map and such. I've seen people post screenshots in the past that have everything redone and I think for me to play better it's time I start considering big changes. I've noticed that the default UI placement for enemy health and casting bars has become tougher to spot in fights making it more difficult to see abilities I should interrupt and when there's buffs or debuffs I need to watch out for.

Blah. I've been putting this off but I'm determined to sort it out.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's weird how EVERYONE can mine and herb, but if you want to DE or get leather you need to waste a garrison building.

Yep. Makes no sense. Just like in MoP how you can mine and herb at any skill level... But you can't skin because reasons.

mclem

It's a happy happy day when the Blackrock Ore option comes up for the Trading Post, at least.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
They really need to give you something for finishing a hc besides 50 garrison resources first time only, I always leave if the rest of the bosses don't got what I need, there's no incentive. Gimme some chystals or something.

I've honestly never had a hc queue over 20 mins so far in WoD as dps.

Normal queues were pretty long tho. I started tanking now anways, I just like to do every HC as DPS first.

There's a special circle of hell reserved for tanks who leave a run early for selfish reasons.

StMeph

The problem, as already mentioned before, is that crafting professions are gated by daily cooldowns. It doesn't matter how much ore there is in the system if crafters can only use a tiny amount of it per day. Alchemy is able to burn more materials because the non-Greater flasks don't use any of the daily cooldown material.

They need to remove the daily cooldown gate or make the daily cooldown much stronger, and allow people to continue crafting conventionally at a much less efficient conversion rate. Otherwise, it won't matter unless the Mine is nerfed so hard that it provides less than 20 ores per day at level 3.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll be happy when gear is in such a way that I can queue my arms warrior as a tank and just tank it MoP style. Hard dungeons is fine for CMs and the first tier of raiding, but eventually it's just going to be a way to farm silly stuffl ike resources and whatever the justice equivalent is, and I'll want to get that done quicker rather than slower. And I also assume the player base will drop a bit by then, so it'd help with queue times.

StMeph

I'll be happy when gear is in such a way that I can queue my arms warrior as a tank and just tank it MoP style. Hard dungeons is fine for CMs and the first tier of raiding, but eventually it's just going to be a way to farm silly stuffl ike resources and whatever the justice equivalent is, and I'll want to get that done quicker rather than slower. And I also assume the player base will drop a bit by then, so it'd help with queue times.

In terms of speed clearing as DPS spec while maintaining enough survivability, T17 should be adequate, but it probably won't return to MoP levels of cruise control until T18 is out.

Bizazedo

In terms of speed clearing as DPS spec while maintaining enough survivability, T17 should be adequate, but it probably won't return to MoP levels of cruise control until T18 is out.

Human memory is that of a gentle liar, of course, but I can't remember any prior expansion having heroics as easy as these.

Additionally, I know the corridor thing is always bantered about and the comparisons to BRD made, but Skyreach and Grimrail feel like meta jokes in that they're very nearly straight lines.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Only people with tanks can complain about other tanks.

Ok,

There's a special circle of hell reserved for tanks who leave a run early for selfish reasons.

:p

(Love both my Pally and Bear tanks :D)

Apt101

Heroic LFG runs are becoming routine. I feel like this is occurring faster than it did in previous expansions. Then again, it has been years and maybe I'm just remembering things differently. I've been incrementally improving my gear thanks to the random secondary and bonus stats. It feels like a good encouragement to run another heroic.

I have been farming primal spirits so much to purchase savage blood that I've already had three invasions from three different factions. I'm saving the last one until it resets. I thought it was daily so I started an ogre invasion, we managed to get silver, and I got nothing for it. I wish there was some mechanism that let a player know whether or not their cooldown, or what not, had expired. On the plus side is I've been earning a good revenue of gold. The bad is that with the economy the way it is, and the gold sinks built into garrison upgrades, I'm not really getting ahead. I feel like I can't engage the AH for upgrade purchases at all because everything is 50-100k out of my price range. I wish Blizzard would take into account that returning players don;t have a lot of gold, by and large, and vastly reduce the cost of blueprints. It would help a lot.

Jag

I wish Blizzard would take into account that returning players don;t have a lot of gold, by and large, and vastly reduce the cost of blueprints. It would help a lot.

I agree that they screwed up using blueprints as a gold sink. It is not alt, new player or returning player friendly at all. Put in some semi-useful vanity items like a new Yak and charge 200k or something.

Saucy_XL

Banned
Human memory is that of a gentle liar, of course, but I can't remember any prior expansion having heroics as easy as these.

Additionally, I know the corridor thing is always bantered about and the comparisons to BRD made, but Skyreach and Grimrail feel like meta jokes in that they're very nearly straight lines.

WOTLK heroics were beyond easy.

Jarnet87

I don't have to worry about this on my Brewmaster because I get blamed and kicked from every heroic. DPS broke the CC and we wiped? Kick the brewmaster. DPS have no idea about boss mechanics? kick the brewmaster. The master scape goat class/spec right now. Got kicked from a group in Grimrail Depot on the train trash, then ran it with a friend and 3 competent random people and we breezed through it. .

My druid is sitting at 628 ilvl, and would be 630 if I could get one of the trinkets or a shoulders upgrade. Can't get shoulders to save my life and I'm sure when I do they will have haste for master trolling.

Mupod

The fortress upgrade is going to devastate my money reserves. I'm still planning to clear out Nagrand's quests, and I have TONS of enchanting materials from DE'ing all my quest shit. No idea how much herbs are worth.

I will say I was baffled at the state of the AH for low level herbs. I didn't know how gathering professions worked in WoD so at first I started my usual routine of leveling herbalism in durotar. I just threw my lowbie herbs up in the AH and the prices were all insane. I'm just picturing some brand new player with 50 silver to his name looking to start Alchemy and seeing 400g for 20 peacebloom.

I don't even know if people use that stuff anymore really.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was sure there would be huge inflation of gold based on the garrison prices, but if anything, the lack of ore being worth anything or any lotus equivalent has made gold less available. The only real money I've been able to make from the expansion is selling BoE gear, and that's worked for every tier since the beginning of time, so that's nothing new. I don't know how they're supposed to be combatting these garrison prices.

I mean, fuck, do you see the price they want just to change a garrison ability in a zone? I don't know what's with Blizzard's gold sink obsession when they add more gold sinks but never add gold opportunities.

Osiris

I don't have to worry about this on my Brewmaster because I get blamed and kicked from every heroic. DPS broke the CC and we wiped? Kick the brewmaster. DPS have no idea about boss mechanics? kick the brewmaster. The master scape goat class/spec right now. Got kicked from a group in Grimrail Depot on the train trash, then ran it with a friend and 3 competent random people and we breezed through it. .

My druid is sitting at 628 ilvl, and would be 630 if I could get one of the trinkets or a shoulders upgrade. Can't get shoulders to save my life and I'm sure when I do they will have haste for master trolling.

I feel your pain, I remember when bear tanks could get kicked from a normal dungeon run just because they dared queue as a bear tank :p

Same for Prot Pallys during TBC, which was odd because I loved healing a pally tank even back then.

StMeph

To be fair, Grimrail is literally in a train on rails.

MoP's Heroic cruise control wasn't a matter of inherent difficulty so much as item level inflation not being linear, and gear had grown so much that mechanics stopped mattering.

It will get there in WoD too, as Heroics are already fairly easy to do, but will become truly mindless speedclears come higher item levels as well. In Foundry gear, it seems like players will be doing 2x the current DPS of an ilevel 630 character, and that's T17. T18 will be even higher, and that is ridiculous.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Should maint be finished by now?

I usually get up before work to check on my garisson. There's a rare mission I need to start.. I hope it's still there if I have to get on after work.

Ahh they extended maint by 2 hours. Nevermind :(

ZenaxPure

It will get there in WoD too, as Heroics are already fairly easy to do, but will become truly mindless speedclears come higher item levels as well. In Foundry gear, it seems like players will be doing 2x the current DPS of an ilevel 630 character, and that's T17. T18 will be even higher, and that is ridiculous.

Meh I'm not sure it matters anyway. There is no reason to do 5 mans once you are geared for raids this expansion unless you want achievements or to do inn quests (not even the daily versions, they aren't all that worthwhile). In MoP/cata/wotlk there was still one reason or another to keep doing 5 mans once you were doing raids (though that reason changed each expansion) but there really isn't in WoD currently.

Not that I'm complaining, I've always been someone to completely abandon 5 mans once I am geared for raids so I've always found it annoying when blizz asked me to go back to 5 mans if I wanted to maximize my character growth in previous expansions. I'm happy with how 5 mans are currently setup.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gotta say, you guys play on some terrible terrible servers/server networks or my luck is fantastic.

I've been kicked maybe twice in the game so far, as a Brewmaster/Windwalker, and once on accident. Never in Draenor.

Flambe

Question for old player returning, wondering which character I should focus on first. For reference I have at least half my chars at 85 from Cata or w/e.

Ones I most enjoyed playing were Mage, Prot War, Priest, Resto Shammy and I guess DK was alright too.

With all the changes that have happened in 2-3 years since I've been on, are any of those fun/viable as they used to be or changed for the better in other ways? I know specifics would be an exhaustive list but just looking for somewhere to start =]

Yesterday I had a group where the feral druid tried to just go for the quest item in stealth at the middle of the instance, but he died lol, and the tank was overpulling and had to get the door every 30 sec, worst group so far.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yesterday I had a group where the feral druid tried to just go for the quest item in stealth at the middle of the instance, but he died lol, and the tank was overpulling and had to get the door every 30 sec, worst group so far.

I really don't know why they made the inn items completely out of the way. Like Blizzard really thinks the people who do LFG are going to clear that stuff? I'm just glad I can camo to most of it and grab it.

Im new to this. I got a question. Does every character have a different starting story and quest?

Also, has there ever been a discount in monthly subs?

I really don't know why they made the inn items completely out of the way. Like Blizzard really thinks the people who do LFG are going to clear that stuff? I'm just glad I can camo to most of it and grab it.

It's not that much of a problem, you can just ask to clear the way to the item, the main problem is people queing just to get the item and leave.

Jarnet87

Maintenance extended to 1PM.

You thought you were going to raid today? laughingblizzard.gif

Stormrage will be a shit show tonight. Guess it's kind of good our planned raid time was pushed back to 10. I haven't really been active during the launch of many raids, but I remember what a nightmare it was when Trial of the Crusader came out.

Mupod

oh god I really should have read some of my abilities more closely. Leveling as cat was fun but it resulted in me being clueless about some of the changed/new bear abilities. Thrash in particular - I didn't notice that it *generates* rage and was hesitant to spam it. I was holding aggro without it but this should help a bit.

I'll hop into proving grounds once I get home. The DPS bronze/silver one was easy, and I got pretty far in the gold one before I got screwed by a banshee unexpectedly spawning. My gear is literally what I had on when I hit 100 so I'm not too broken up over it, I'll try again later.

ampere

So educate me please. What exactly takes 8+ hours during maintenance? What exactly happens during maintenance?

Just spitballing but:

Cleaning the servers. They no doubt collect a lot of dust.

Rebooting servers. Not sure what custom OS they are running on, but stability tends to drop the longer a server is operating continuously.

Replacing parts that have broken or doing routine hardware upgrades.

Firmware updates or pushing mini-patches that couldn't be hotfixed.

Or various other things. Basically servers are pieces of hardware that need maintenance. They are running almost 24/7 with varying heavy loads.

Top Bottom