• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

CassSept

Won't get to try it til tonight (EU)

But still, I remember a blue post (and now I can't find it, typically) saying that at 100 there will be two paths of progression.

Normal dungeons -> LFR
Heroic dungeons -> Normal raids -> Heroic raids [-> Mythic raids]

But why anyone would do normal dungeons at 100 is a mystery to me when getting into heroics is stupidly easy.

Honestly, LFR is easier than normal dungeons. I'm not even joking.

Mupod

Honestly, LFR is easier than normal dungeons. I'm not even joking.

It really is. I remember my first time in normal grimrail, we wiped at the second boss so I quickly checked the dungeon journal and explained what to do. Everyone just left. Mechanics are too much work apparently.

Lanrutcon

Got nothing from LFR, and again nothing from the world boss even though I used a bonus roll on it. Oh well.

Still got my garrison invasion - I asked my guild to help and apparently they didn't want to do the shadow council one for some reason? I did it last week and it was piss easy to get gold. Are some invasions harder than others?

But yeah LFR is so brain dead it's practically insulting. You can make an accessible raid without making it impossible to fail, people will adapt.

I accidentally queued as tank despite never doing anything in the raid except a bunch of attempts on heroic butcher. I just figured everything out on the fly, not that there was much to it. The only fight with actual mechanics is Brackenspore, and that's just 'take it to good mushrooms'. There's also an add to pick up and a stacking debuff, but I had a clueless paladin who didn't do either and we still managed to beat it. He wouldn't taunt so I just stopped attacking until he pulled aggro.

Shadow Council got hotfixed. I believe some of the demons they summon incorrectly counted towards your score.

StMeph

But still, I remember a blue post (and now I can't find it, typically) saying that at 100 there will be two paths of progression.

Normal dungeons -> LFR
Heroic dungeons -> Normal raids -> Heroic raids [-> Mythic raids]

But why anyone would do normal dungeons at 100 is a mystery to me when getting into heroics is stupidly easy.

Still need to meet ilevel minimum (615) to queue for LFR, so for fresh 100s or alts questing out of Nagrand, they'll probably still need a few pieces of gear before being able to jump into LFR 640s. I can see Heroic being steamrolled pretty soon, so at that point I suppose it would make more sense just to do Heroic to get to 615 faster.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Word is LFR and world boss timers reset last night for whatever reason/mistake. I was able to get loot a 2nd time in LFR and off the world boss for this week.

Not sure if it extends into normal+.

Respect

Anyone else having issues with random FPS drops since last patch? I never had any issues with this, but ever since the patch I get drops down to 4-5 fps for at least 10 seconds randomly.

Doesn't' matter where I'm at either, arena, bg, instance, garrison. I tried turning down all of my settings and having nothing else running except the launcher and WoW...still no help. Making the game simply unplayable. It happens roughly every 3-4 minutes at least...lost a few arena games because of this, and it always happens at the worst time, even in an instance.

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions?

Quoting myself to see if anyone has had this issue since the patch that released raids/arena.

I'm all for everyone seeing content, as back when I was a progression raider I always felt bad for those who didn't have the time or whatever it may have been to see things like SSC, TK, BT, etc, but it does feel like they went way overboard on the LFR side. I don't see why they couldn't have included the full versions of the fights, just reduced damage of abilities, reduced HP of boss, loosen enrage timers, etc. I know they have done a few of those things but they could have gone a bit further. It would still make it accessible and easy for everyone in 630+ gear but at the same time you are at least getting the full experience of the fight.

Like, why do the tiger pits on Kargath need to be shut?

Word is LFR and world boss timers reset last night for whatever reason/mistake. I was able to get loot a 2nd time in LFR and off the world boss for this week.

Not sure if it extends into normal+.

After this morning's resets US realms got Drov to spawn after Tarlna spawned yesterday.

Giggzy

Are there actual cloth shoulder pads at 100? My 97 Mage is not impressed by these rolled up carpets I keep throwing over my shoulder.

Owensboro

Can you get loot from both LFR and Normal? I'm in a Normal group but don't want to do LFR if it locks me out of getting loot from bosses past the Butcher (what we've cleared to).

Disc is competitive in raids but struggles in 5 man CMs. DW Frost just got buffed although 2h Frost and Unholy are still above it on sims.

How are you supposed to play Holy and Disc now? It seems like the Holy Strategy is just Sanctuary + Circle of Healing + renew spam until either of the other two are up. Disp seems like Clarity of Will / Shield + Penance / Holy Fire when you can to get mana / build attonement + Archangel.

Does anyone know of a good health bar mod that will show how much shield someone has on them? I miss just filling up health bars with heals :( . Now I'm stuck in Shield and HoT hell.

ampere

They said LFR was going to be tourist mode this time, for real. They want to push people to do organized raiding, but LFR will still be there just so you can see the content if that's all you want or have time for. I think that works.

LFR should not be giving out 640 ilvl items when it's this easy, that's what you get as rewards from CM runs.

No reason to do daily CMs anymore. Free 640s are fine now IMO.

Can you get loot from both LFR and Normal? I'm in a Normal group but don't want to do LFR if it locks me out of getting loot from bosses past the Butcher (what we've cleared to).

LFR, Normal, Heroic and Mythic all have separate loot lockouts. You can potentially get loot 4 times from a single boss in one week if you do all the difficulties.

LFR, Normal and Heroic can also be run as many times as you want, but you only get a shot at loot the first kill of the week.

Mythic is old style, hard lockout with a raid ID.

Owensboro

You sure can! Might as well do it for stones at least.

That's what I was planning. I also have a few gear slots that I'm sure a good faceroll in LFR could help fill out. But hey, getting 125 stones quicker is always welcome.

Also, thanks for the explanation ciaossu. I was absent for most of MoP and really only remember the lockout timers on raids from vanilla and the first expansion. That's strange that you can run them over and over for no benefit, but it's neat that I could potentially help other friends beat those bosses after running it with my guild.

I wouldn't necessarily say no benefit. If you need to practice (for ranks - though eventually only Mythic will matter), having the boss always be available for you is nice. Besides being able to help friends or whatever.

StMeph

That's strange that you can run them over and over for no benefit, but it's neat that I could potentially help other friends beat those bosses after running it with my guild.

I wouldn't necessarily say no benefit. If you need to practice (for ranks - though eventually only Mythic will matter), having the boss always be available for you is nice. Besides being able to help friends or whatever.

Despite bosses themselves dropping no loot on same week+difficulty runs, I would also like to add that re-running a boss allows you to use your Seal again to roll for bonus loot, until you run out of patience or tokens.

Once again, the pure crafting amount of time it takes to create Crescent Oil for the amount of potions I'm currently producing is just stupid. 40+ minutes for what I can sell in one night is dumb. At least it's not a milling/prospecting-like operation - that would be worse.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm going to kill Challenger Sunforge. He knows what I need. I saw him inspecting me. He gives me a ring the day after I get a heroic 670 one.

Fjordson

How many people are doing LFR "just because" when they are suitably geared for the real Heroic version or at least the Normal version and then talking about how easy it is? Consider it if everyone was in there at the minimum ilvl requirement instead.
I'm technically geared for normal (I think) at 635 but haven't been able to find any Highmaul or CM groups, so I may try LFR this week.

Pugging has seemingly gone down the toilet for some reason, at least for me, so I'm already sick of attempting to do endgame content. Been nothing but frustration. Other than LFR, I think I'm just going to level my new druid and hope things improve somehow in a few months.

edit: guess this didn't directly relate to what you were saying :lol I have no problem with LFR being easy.

Not happy about the LFR difficulty nerf. ToT (beholder excepted) / SoO was perfect. I like seeing the content, but it has to be at least a little challenging. Between removing tier gear and making it so laughably easy I'm only going to run LFR once or twice (as opposed to the 20+ times I did each of the LFRs in MoP), just enough to get the ilvl for the next set. In between patches I'll just save my $15/mo.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Not happy about the LFR difficulty nerf. ToT (beholder excepted) / SoO was perfect. I like seeing the content, but it has to be at least a little challenging. Between removing tier gear and making it so laughably easy I'm only going to run LFR once or twice (as opposed to the 20+ times I did each of the LFRs in MoP), just enough to get the ilvl for the next set. In between patches I'll just save my $15/mo.

LFR was never really meant to be a long-term, sustained end-game activity, and the advent of flexible raiding has just made it even more reasonable to sideline it. If you have any interest in actual raiding, the in-game group finder and flexible raid sizes is your gateway to that. You don't need a guild or set raid schedule for it, which tend to be the biggest obstacles for people who in the past had no recourse othan than LFR.

Let LFR stay as the totally marginalized, faceroll tourist mode for people who otherwise have no interest in raiding, because actual raiding is more accessible and flexible than ever before.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I forgot I had a free seal from my War Mill this week -_-

Not even sure how to get it for next week. Guess there'll be a quest or something?

No quest for the warmill seal, you just talk to one of the NPC's in there and there's a dialogue option for it.

I'd like to see them boost the ilvl of the CM daily gear as new raids come out. It'd be a nice way to keep that relevant, since you're getting downscaled to 630 regardless of what your actual ilvl is, but obviously there's a massive difference between LFR difficulty and CM difficulty despite similar rewards. Difficulty will change subtly as people get the big enchantments on their gear and as the entire player base clears the 630 min, but ultimately I think the difficulty bar of CM is high enough that a piece of gear somewhere between (whatever is current) LFR and Normal would be a fair reward.

Magnus

I'd like to see them boost the ilvl of the CM daily gear as new raids come out. It'd be a nice way to keep that relevant, since you're getting downscaled to 630 regardless of what your actual ilvl is, but obviously there's a massive difference between LFR difficulty and CM difficulty despite similar rewards. Difficulty will change subtly as people get the big enchantments on their gear and as the entire player base clears the 630 min, but ultimately I think the difficulty bar of CM is high enough that a piece of gear somewhere between (whatever is current) LFR and Normal would be a fair reward.

Agreed. In keeping with their new RNG philosophies (which I like!) in 5-mans, the Challenger's Stronngboxes should be modified to always have a CHANCE for current raid Normal loot, whatever item level that happens to be at the time.

LFR was never really meant to be a long-term, sustained end-game activity, and the advent of flexible raiding has just made it even more reasonable to sideline it. If you have any interest in actual raiding, the in-game group finder and flexible raid sizes is your gateway to that. You don't need a guild or set raid schedule for it, which tend to be the biggest obstacles for people who in the past had no recourse othan than LFR.

Let LFR stay as the totally marginalized, faceroll tourist mode for people who otherwise have no interest in raiding, because actual raiding is more accessible and flexible than ever before.

Regardless of whether it wasn't meant to be long-term, many people did like it and won't make the jump to group finder. You may not need a guild or set raid schedule but you are still subject to several things that LFR isn't: possibility of non-personal loot mode, requirements created by the group leader with respect to ilvl or achievements, and a greater commitment to that particular run. I'm not interested in any of that, and if raid chat is to believed during my LFR last night, I wasn't the only one lamenting this nerfing of difficulty.

Agreed. In keeping with their new RNG philosophies (which I like!) in 5-mans, the Challenger's Stronngboxes should be modified to always have a CHANCE for current raid Normal loot, whatever item level that happens to be at the time.
It's a little tricky though, because they would also have to take into account that if you're doing them every day, you're potentially getting 7 new pieces of gear a week, which is very likely over 3x-7x what the average raider gets. If it sits between Normal and LFR, it acknowledges that you're doing content above LFR, but also makes it clear that your raid progression gear should come from primarily from raids.

Using current raid item levels, I think CM boxes dropping 645 (instead of current 640) and a small chance at 655 (or maybe just 650) gear would be adequate.

Once Foundry comes out, that would then ramp up to 655 gear, with a chance at 665 (or, again, maybe just 660).

Edit: Maybe something like a 15% chance for current normal ilvl, but you can only get 1 normal piece from a box per week?

Further evidence that their initial rollout for professions was completely half-assed and incomplete. It's like they handed it to an intern and said 'ok you do blacksmithing and alchemy, we'll get the mail department in here shortly to figure out First Aid and Enchanting.'

Jarnet87

This is kind of a general and specific question for DPS Specs. Is a primary stat trinket the best option over a secondary stat. Like an agility trinket for a rogue/monk/hunter etc. and a strength trinket for a ret pally/fury or arms warrior. Just wondering because as a Windwalker Multistrike is the top stat priority. I have some MS trinkets but I've been using two high ilvl agility trinkets instead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't think Normal is overtuned if people were able to PUG 7/7 in the raid's first week. Heroic BOE farming on a massive scale will also flood the market and bring prices down to make them more attractive for people who need to be overgeared to do Normal.
I find it pretty unlikely that a standard PUG full cleared Highmaul even on its normal difficulty during the first week. If they did it's not the standard.

Tacitus_

Further evidence that their initial rollout for professions was completely half-assed and incomplete. It's like they handed it to an intern and said 'ok you do blacksmithing and alchemy, we'll get the mail department in here shortly to figure out First Aid and Enchanting.'

For once blizz forums deliver

One could wonder why all these changes to professions were not there from the start, when it was blindingly obvious (and talked about in Beta) what the issues were.

ampere

The mistakes have been disappointing to say the least, but I am happy they are at least fixing some things. Potions using horrible reagents would be painful all expac, while now that it's getting fixed it will be decent for the next ~2 years.

This is kind of a general and specific question for DPS Specs. Is a primary stat trinket the best option over a secondary stat. Like an agility trinket for a rogue/monk/hunter etc. and a strength trinket for a ret pally/fury or arms warrior. Just wondering because as a Windwalker Multistrike is the top stat priority. I have some MS trinkets but I've been using two high ilvl agility trinkets instead.

It's going to depend on the stats, ilevel difference, and how they line up with cooldowns. How much ilevel are we talking? And if it has a 1.5 minute CD use and you take Serenity, that's a great matchup, stuff like that. I don't dps much on my Monk, but I can try to help you out if you post the trinkets and ilevel. You can check out this spreadsheet from Rotund regarding WW stat weights. I recall he is a good player, so this is likely reliable information. And here's some stat weights from the WW simcraft dev.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They were also told that t he pre-launch event for WoD was terrible before it came out. And unlike the Jade Forest, they did nothing about it.

StMeph

I find it pretty unlikely that a standard PUG full cleared Highmaul even on its normal difficulty during the first week. If they did it's not the standard.

It's not standard, but it was done. I would imagine that 7/7 across the board in the FIRST week of going live for most PUGs would indicate it was seriously undertuned. I only went 5/7 N, 1/7 H exclusively through PUGs, but feel like that's plenty for, again, the first week of raids going live.

For once blizz forums deliver

They sure do

the response from another fine upstanding member of that community:

Because their idea of gameplay is different than yours? If you weren't such a C, you might be able to get less passive aggressive and just enjoy the game instead of offering useless and negative comments that aren't needed. Correct your attitude.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder how many faction transfer sales Blizz made based off the shitty looking Horde garrisons.

Drov seems way harder than the other world boss. Or I had real shitty tanks.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's not standard, but it was done. I would imagine that 7/7 across the board in the FIRST week of going live for most PUGs would indicate it was seriously undertuned. I only went 5/7 N, 1/7 H exclusively through PUGs, but feel like that's plenty for, again, the first week of raids going live.
There's a pretty steep gap between the first five bosses and the last two bosses in Highmaul. I find it unlikely that people will transition from LFR to clearing normal raids.

Top Bottom