• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Apt101

The cms are supposed to be challenging though. You have to complete them, which honestly anyone with a brain could do. I pugged 3-4 of them on multiple characters and it was all pretty solid groups. I got lucky I guess. The only one I wouldnt pug is probably ubrs, everbloom, and skyreach. I did pug ubrs, and it went way too well, but I have seen bad comps just fail terribly. I spent two hours in everbloom. It was horrible. My friends had ubrs groups that couldnt kill the last boss.

I get that, but sometimes frustrating <> challenging - it's just frustrating. Good to hear from a fellow GAF'r they aren't that bad. Though, I'm not sure why I'd do them now. Achievements?

vocab

I get that, but sometimes frustrating <> challenging - it's just frustrating. Good to hear from a fellow GAF'r they aren't that bad. Though, I'm not sure why I'd do them now. Achievements?

Yeti mount is amazing, and some of the tmog weapons are really cool. One of the reasons I did them for gearing up was to learn the dungeons in and out to learn what needs to be done for golds.

Mothman91

Found a nice pug. 3 hours downed 5 bosses. They did take a bit long breaks in between for explaining some stuff. Was getting frustrated but was patient. Also was ML so no personal, only lost on one roll and got a ring from twins. Really wanted staff from Tectus and lost all 3 bonus rolls :c

Added one of the guys and hopefully we can down Koragh(30 wipes so far for me and counting) tomorrow.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
These CMs need to give my a fucking weapon.

What's the RNG on getting a 645 weapon mission to pop? Seas the Day specifically.

Does the number of 630 followers help? I have 4. I was waiting to boost a few based on what came, but I could build up one or two guys good for it. Or more. I don't know what all I have stockpiled.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Found a nice pug. 3 hours downed 5 bosses. They did take a bit long breaks in between for explaining some stuff. Was getting frustrated but was patient. Also was ML so no personal, only lost on one roll and got a ring from twins. Really wanted staff from Tectus and lost all 3 bonus rolls :c

Added one of the guys and hopefully we can down Koragh(30 wipes so far for me and counting) tomorrow.

I don't know if this is any help, but this page has quick tips guides for all roles (Tanks, Healers, ranged DPS and melee DPS) in Highmaul.

It's not detailed as the boss guides, but they're still handy. Hope you can make use of it.

EDIT: Since my question was ignored from last page, I'll ask this again:
For Highmaul, do I still get reset regardless whether I extended the lock?

DarkJC

These CMs need to give my a fucking weapon.

What's the RNG on getting a 645 weapon mission to pop? Seas the Day specifically.

Does the number of 630 followers help? I have 4. I was waiting to boost a few based on what came, but I could build up one or two guys good for it. Or more. I don't know what all I have stockpiled.

Devs have been very vague on how the system works. What they have said makes me think there are a number of factors under the hood determining on how often you get a 645 reward mission. Not sure if the number of 630 followers helps, but having more with varied abilities is probably a good thing so you can maximize your success chance on those missions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It shows people a template of what they could be doing. Past LFR had people thinking they 'beat the game' when they really didn't. This is so borderline 'hey look at the textures' and the lack of moggable gear that it is bashing people over the head with 'this isn't the end-game. You want to do normal.'
I don't really see how LFR incentivizes players to check out the actual content. In most cases I think players will be unaware of the mechanics they're even interacting with, they'll pop some stuff dead, and they'll move on with their lives.

Hellers

Is it just me or did leatherworkers/skinners really get the shaft this expansion? Everything else is so easy to gather, ore, herbs, fur. Dust is as it always is but leather? Fuck me that takes ages and a skinner uses so much of it. I spent about an hour farming those big mammoth pack things in Shadowmoon last night and by the time I did my daily cooldowns and stocked my work orders I was nearly out of leather. My skinning is at 700. Shouldn't it be dropping more than scraps that I need 10 of for one leather? I ended up with enough fur to keep my tailor in business for a week.

Is the barn trapping stuff still as buggy as hell? Half the time when I last tried it the traps just didn't fire and I swapped the building for an inn

TheYanger

Definitely the easiest LFR wing ever released, but LFR gear is also now completely different from eral gear, so you get the 'wtf is that' from LFR raiders again, and the premade finder is getting a ton of use. I think the community is getting stronger these days not weaker.

Awhile back it was estimated 8 weeks after Highmaul we'd get BRF, from dev comments.

Personally mid to late February seems about right right now. Particularly with the always awkward holiday break that sucks a week or two of raiding for most teams.

People probably won't all be done with Mythic Highmaul by then, but it should be a good benchmark. Instance is too short for it to last till March on its own.

ZenaxPure

Is it just me or did leatherworkers/skinners really get the shaft this expansion? Everything else is so easy to gather, ore, herbs, fur. Dust is as it always is but leather? Fuck me that takes ages and a skinner uses so much of it. I spent about an hour farming those big mammoth pack things in Shadowmoon last night and by the time I did my daily cooldowns and stocked my work orders I was nearly out of leather. My skinning is at 700. Shouldn't it be dropping more than scraps that I need 10 of for one leather? I ended up with enough fur to keep my tailor in business for a week.

Skinning is different because the "scrap" concept has been in use since pretty much forever. It's not the same as other professions where you get scraps based on your profession skill, it's based on the level of the mobs you kill. Level 100 mobs should drop at a minimum 1 full piece of leather if not more (haven't actually leveled my skinner up yet to see what level 100 mobs are like yet). The general idea is that they don't want to add multiple types of leather per expansion but they also don't want the most effective way to gather leather to be from killing mobs you can literally one shot, so lower level mobs give scraps and higher level mobs give full pieces of leather.

Hellers

Ah. Now it makes sense. So at level 96 if I go to somewhere like Spires I should be getting proper leather? That makes things much easier.

ZenaxPure

Ah. Now it makes sense. So at level 96 if I go to somewhere like Spires I should be getting proper leather? That makes things much easier.

Honestly not entirely sure what it looks like in WoD yet so I can't answer accurately, my skinning dude is only level 92 right now. But, that is exactly how it has worked in every expansion before.

glaurung

At around mob level 97-98, skinning will produce proper leather and no more scraps. And beyond that, 99-100 you will net 2-3 pieces of leather per skinning.

Hellers

At around mob level 97-98, skinning will produce proper leather and no more scraps. And beyond that, 99-100 you will net 2-3 pieces of leather per skinning.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'm ready for leveling my druid any further just yet but now I know what the deal is I can work with it. I found a very nice farming spot for scraps that's super quick and nicely safe. No fur but all my other characters pick that up. I'll spend a few hours tonight getting stocked up with as much as I can stand. Thank god for starfall. It literally hits everything.

DarkJC

You have to kill the 2nd last and last boss as well. I assume that would count in LFR since you can collect the stones.

Lanrutcon

Wait.

You can complete your legendary with LFR? Confirmation please. That doesn't sound like the Blizzard that only had heirlooms drop from normal and higher.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wait.

You can complete your legendary with LFR? Confirmation please. That doesn't sound like the Blizzard that only had heirlooms drop from normal and higher.

clearly you didnt play MoP

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait.

But.. the cloak.. oh, ok, it's been handled by others.

Wait.

You can but you only get Abrogator Stones from each boss once a week, so people who only do LFR will be lagging behind a bit.

Aside from the cloak comments, Blizzard gave you an ilvl 680 ring for doing some heroics, why is this development such a surprise?

Tacitus_

You can but you only get Abrogator Stones from each boss once a week, so people who only do LFR will be lagging behind a bit.

Aside from the cloak comments, Blizzard gave you an ilvl 680 ring for doing some heroics, why is this development such a surprise?

Because Blizz putting in an incentive to do proper raiding clearly means that they think LFR people should be left in the mud.

TheYanger

The legendary questline is a major part of the storyline, just like in mop. They expect everyone to be working on it.

I think having completely different gear drop is a solid way to finally differentiate LFR a bit better (so that there's still that carrot of 'real' equipment for LFRians) without invalidating it.

Robin64

I got way behind on the cloak questline and then in the end I couldn't be bothered to catch up. Going to definitely try to keep up this time, just need to do Heroic Auchindoun first. That will probably be harder than the LFR, amusingly.

Guesong

Welp, Blizzard Customer Representative gets a big zero for me.

Opened a ticket because I tested something out on a level 1 pandaren and wanted to delete it, but couldn't because of the Molten Corgi they auto-mail you.

Wait 2 days.

Get my ticket answered by "We are sorry you had trouble with Draenor launch and we implemented measures so you should be fine! Yay! Contact us for more assistance!"

...and my pandaren is still alive, kicking, and with a mail he can't open nor get rid of till he levels to 12, which I won't do.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Now to wait 2 more days for my altomania...

V_Arnold

Welp, Blizzard Customer Representative gets a big zero for me.

Opened a ticket because I tested something out on a level 1 pandaren and wanted to delete it, but couldn't because of the Molten Corgi they auto-mail you.

Wait 2 days.

Get my ticket answered by "We are sorry you had trouble with Draenor launch and we implemented measures so you should be fine! Yay! Contact us for more assistance!"

...and my pandaren is still alive, kicking, and with a mail he can't open nor get rid of till he levels to 12, which I won't do.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Now to wait 2 more days for my altomania...

You could get to level 12 in 45 minues, alternatively.

Guesong

You could get to level 12 in 45 minues, alternatively.

It's the principle of the thing. Having to level up a character just so I can delete it really doesn't look like a good time investment. If they force-mail something to your character and refuse to let you delete a character if they have mail, they should have some kind of system in place so you always have a mailbox. Or something.

I understand it doesn't make sense for the starting Panda area to have mailboxes, but hey. Don't send them mail till they have access to one then!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Phew, just got Nakk's mount. Easier than I thought. Not the usual frenzy like other spawns.

CassSept

Wow, you weren't kidding with how much of a joke LFR is.

Honestly that makes the progression kinda screwy, quite some gap between LFR and normal and as it is, in my opinion unless they nerf normal the mode is mostly useless the way it is implemented.

TomServo

I tanked LFR for Dragon Soul and the first tier of MoP. It felt like, at least as a tank, I had to know what I was doing. Will of the Emperor, for example, wasn't lethal if you screwed up the strikes once in a while, but you couldn't just eat them all. Even as a former progression raider (with lots of server firsts from T7 through T9), there was some satisfaction there.

Last night in LFR felt like nothing could wipe us. I understand that mechanics that let one DPS wipe the raid (Garalon) are probably a bad idea in LFR, but holy shit that place is completely undertuned.

Seems like a common thing in WoD - most of the rares out in the world have neat mechanics that you can just ignore.

Robin64

How many people are doing LFR "just because" when they are suitably geared for the real Heroic version or at least the Normal version and then talking about how easy it is? Consider it if everyone was in there at the minimum ilvl requirement instead.

Lanrutcon

How many people are doing LFR "just because" when they are suitably geared for the real Heroic version or at least the Normal version and then talking about how easy it is? Consider it if everyone was in there at the minimum ilvl requirement instead.

It would still be absolute cake compared to the other difficulties. Have you tried it yet? My group ignored every single mechanic on Bracken and still won.

StMeph

To the people in here who've mentioned wanting to get some gear from LFR before joining Normal PUGs: why? The earlier in the raid's lifespan, the easier it is to get into groups as DPS. It was easy to get in around 630, but the longer you wait, the more you get raids demanding ridiculous ilevel minimums.

And there's still a pretty substantial difference between the thresholds required for Normal vs Heroic. I don't think Normal is overtuned if people were able to PUG 7/7 in the raid's first week. Heroic BOE farming on a massive scale will also flood the market and bring prices down to make them more attractive for people who need to be overgeared to do Normal.

Robin64

It would still be absolute cake compared to the other difficulties. Have you tried it yet? My group ignored every single mechanic on Bracken and still won.

Won't get to try it til tonight (EU)

But still, I remember a blue post (and now I can't find it, typically) saying that at 100 there will be two paths of progression.

Normal dungeons -> LFR
Heroic dungeons -> Normal raids -> Heroic raids [-> Mythic raids]

But why anyone would do normal dungeons at 100 is a mystery to me when getting into heroics is stupidly easy.

Mupod

Got nothing from LFR, and again nothing from the world boss even though I used a bonus roll on it. Oh well.

Still got my garrison invasion - I asked my guild to help and apparently they didn't want to do the shadow council one for some reason? I did it last week and it was piss easy to get gold. Are some invasions harder than others?

But yeah LFR is so brain dead it's practically insulting. You can make an accessible raid without making it impossible to fail, people will adapt.

I am going to try tanking in LFR tonight, I honestly think it is easier to tank in the current LFR than it is to DPS.

I accidentally queued as tank despite never doing anything in the raid except a bunch of attempts on heroic butcher. I just figured everything out on the fly, not that there was much to it. The only fight with actual mechanics is Brackenspore, and that's just 'take it to good mushrooms'. There's also an add to pick up and a stacking debuff, but I had a clueless paladin who didn't do either and we still managed to beat it. He wouldn't taunt so I just stopped attacking until he pulled aggro.

Top Bottom