• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Gnomes getting more lore in Hearthstone than the 10 years they've been in WoW.
laughing-smiley-016.gif

ampere

guys, I want to get back next week, is there anyting I NEED to do or that is recommended to do before the release or should I just jump in? I heard there are some quests leading up to the story of warlords of draenor?

There's a little quest chain you can do in Blasted Lands that goes away when WoD comes out, but it's nothing to write home about

Ryan_

Guys, I'm really really tempted to dip in once more (havent played since WOTLK), but I was wondering, with all the cross server stuff, isnt it viable now to start a GAF guild? or raiding group or something? I'm not gonna play long if it's just me and some random guild that invited me because I ran through stormwind

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Hard to believe it but I have some free time next week and am thinking about jumping back in. I haven't played since WotLK.

If I buy WoD do I also get the MoP expansion content as well or do I have to buy that separately?

Hard to believe it but I have some free time next week and am thinking about jumping back in. I haven't played since WotLK.

If I buy WoD do I also get the MoP expansion content as well or do I have to buy that separately?

MoP is now baseline. If you have a WoW account, you own it. Only expansion you need to buy separately is WoD.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What do my Warcraft peeps think of Overwatch? Seems pretty neat. Love the visuals (especially dem environments).
I think it looks quite nice, but it needs a bit more to successfully penetrate that genre. A map editor is crucial. Ways to create custom items would likely be wise to add too.

Peachpies

What do my Warcraft peeps think of Overwatch? Seems pretty neat. Love the visuals (especially dem environments).
The abilities look incredibly unbalanced. For example Mercy looked completely useless compared to Reaper or even the other 2 support characters.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, all images in the new WoD press kit released today are in JPEG format. Blizzard used to provide screenshots in TGA format, packshots in TIFF and much of the artwork in PNG. The images are not of bad quality, but still, I'm a bit disappointed.

StMeph

I'll give it a shot. I played TF2, but never stuck with it. Game was tactical, but felt too slow. I'd be more into Overwatch if it was faster paced.

Heh. Finally sold my Blackened Defias Boots flip for ~17k. Was getting some low ball offers in my mail/whispers, but someone finally stepped up and dropped the gold on them. Can't remember how much I snagged em for since my TSM data got wiped, but it was pretty low - couldn't have been more than 3k.

Between that, a couple carries, and other stuff I think I made over 50k this past week (so far). Not too shabby.

My guildmates who did a bunch of carrying in the week I was moving still made loads more though :(((

Hopefully I can get a lot from the early WoD gold rush, and selling WoD CM carries. Want to hit at least gold cap if not go further. I know a couple people in my guild are several times gold capped.

StayDead

Heh. Finally sold my Blackened Defias Boots flip for ~17k. Was getting some low ball offers in my mail/whispers, but someone finally stepped up and dropped the gold on them. Can't remember how much I snagged em for since my TSM data got wiped, but it was pretty low - couldn't have been more than 3k.

Between that, a couple carries, and other stuff I think I made over 50k this past week (so far). Not too shabby.

My guildmates who did a bunch of carrying in the week I was moving still made loads more though :(((

Hopefully I can get a lot from the early WoD gold rush, and selling WoD CM carries. Want to hit at least gold cap if not go further. I know a couple people in my guild are several times gold capped.

I've actually got 4 of the items on my rogue. I'm probably going to transmog into them since I levelled in them.

I didn't actually find anything better than that set until like level 50 lol.

Fjordson

Anyone in here on US alliance willing to sell a GAF brother a Garrosh carry? Looking to snag one last heirloom before WoD.

Edit: what am I saying. Can't trade cross realm. Nevermind =[

Fjordson

Yeah, hopefully the F2P model is okay. Did they hint at anything during the panel? Still at work so I only caught bits and pieces of it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Yeah, hopefully the F2P model is okay. Did they hint at anything during the panel? Still at work so I only caught bits and pieces of it.

They didn't say anything about it being free to play, and they didn't show any sort of skins or customization.

Loxley

For those who didn't see it, the Warcraft movie panel showed off what Orgrim Doomhammer (voiced and mo-capped by Rob Kazinsky) and King Llane Wrynn (played by Dominic Cooper) look like in the film:

I think they look great - well, Llane looks a bit like Jason Sudeikis in a beard but I'm pretty sure it's just the lighting.

Here's the Doomhammer as well as Llane's sword:

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Grab one of the three transmog shields I want - the bulwark, the royal crest of lordaeron in culling, and the fridge door v2 off KT in naxx.

Level up fishing.

Cap honor.

That's about it.

Unless they dramatically changed Fishing in the last 5 months you crazy.

I guess I'm going to hop back in for the expansion. This is going to be interesting because I know almost nothing about it so its all going to be a surprise.

Fjordson

For those who didn't see it, the Warcraft movie panel showed off what Orgrim Doomhammer (voiced and mo-capped by Rob Kazinsky) and King Llane Wrynn (played by Dominic Cooper) look like in the film:

I think they look great - well, Llane looks a bit like Jason Sudeikis in a beard but I'm pretty sure it's just the lighting.

Here's Llane's sword as well as the Doomhammer:
All of it looks really neat. And I liked what I heard during the panel.

Said it in the Blizzcon thread, but my faith in the film continues to grow. For a few years there I was certain this would never get made or just end up being bad.

Unless they dramatically changed Fishing in the last 5 months you crazy.

I guess I'm going to hop back in for the expansion. This is going to be interesting because I know almost nothing about it so its all going to be a surprise.

Fishing dailies help a lot with the grind, both in breaking up the tedium and making it more rewarding to level it in the meantime.

Here's the Doomhammer as well as Llane's sword:

I think Llane looks like one of the Gasol brothers from the NBA.

StayDead

I've got quite literally every low% droprate rare from Zulfarrak now more than once and the shield I want still hasn't dropped. Save me somebody.

Jag

Just hit 90 on the lock. Went to farm the tome for green fire and it dropped. I wasn't planning on gearing this toon at all. Anyone know if the quest is doable for a crappy 500 lock?

Shahadan

From the WoW panel about the ability pruning:

Returning players had more and more trouble figuring out how their class worked as more abilities were added. You shouldn't have to go to another website just to figure out how to play your character.

I completely agree, but it's also your goddam fault.
-Abilities are just randomly there in the skillbook instead of having a clear way to distinguish the core abilities from the other ones
-Tooltips are rarely clear enough (lol Symbiosis)
-they change abilities all the goddamn time so it's hard to keep track of the fluctuating damage/effect of some of your abilities. Sometimes you come back after a while, your ability is still there with the same icon and all, but it doesn't do the same shit and you have no idea it changed until you read the tooltip.

Basically, the "what's new" thingy in WoD should have been there years ago and should show the changes for your class.
Also skillbook revamp please because it is so old and ineffective.

Fjordson

Just hit 90 on the lock. Went to farm the tome for green fire and it dropped. I wasn't planning on gearing this toon at all. Anyone know if the quest is doable for a crappy 500 lock?
Heard of people doing it that low, but I feel like that would be pretty difficult. It took me hours to get it down at like 526 ilvl.

But if you get the mechanics down then you may be able to, that's really the key.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Inb4 people freaking the fuck out at randomization on gear.

If the worst possible version of your gear is still good enough to do the raid, then getting those extra features on a piece of gear is motivation to keep the raid from getting pointless for you to stop helping your guild, and keeps it carrot on the stick further out of reach.

It only works if the game works like they say it will, and that's another story.

Dresden

Been done with 372, apparently, so you should be able to pull it off.

lazygecko

"What's new" has been in there in some form since the Cataclysm pre-patch.

They've changed things around to make things both less and more confusing lately. As mentioned the spellbook is just a pure mess at this point and I don't like navigating it. And ability/talent design has just gotten too damn band-aidy with a lot of stuff changing dramatically changing their effects between specs and it just feels so damn convoluted. I think they've really been fumbling around in the dark with how to approach class/spec design and customization since they first started changing the original talent system around.

Dresden

The ability pruning stuff has been remarkably inconsistent across the board, but that goes for many things regarding class design this xpac, I suppose. They're clearly pressed for time and a bunch of stuff just isn't going to get fixed until the next big content patch.

So RIP arms warriors, whirlwind in peace.

lazygecko

There was some tooltip for one of the paladin talents during MoP that literally took up like half of the screen with the amount of dynamic effects it had to explain. That was like the peak of ridiculousness in class design for me.

vocab

There's some classes that id prefer to not have shit pruned. WW monks is one of them. They are fine as they are.

Some classes had some stuff taken away, and nothing to compensate what so ever.

If the spec has no decision making whatsoever then the spec is boring, and the lack of variety will drive people away.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The ability pruning stuff has been remarkably inconsistent across the board, but that goes for many things regarding class design this xpac, I suppose. They're clearly pressed for time and a bunch of stuff just isn't going to get fixed until the next big content patch.

So RIP arms warriors, whirlwind in peace.

Arms would've been fine if they just gave them heroic strike and made their aoe sweeping strikes and maaaaybe thunderclap

The way they spoke about arms was spot on, but not matching the way the game plays now. Mortal strike is and should be scary, but they should also have something besides whirlwind to hit when they have MS and Colossus smash on CD, most of all just because it looks silly.

There's some classes that id prefer to not have shit pruned. WW monks is one of them. They are fine as they are.

Some classes had some stuff taken away, and nothing to compensate what so ever.

If the spec has no decision making whatsoever then the spec is boring, and the lack of variety will drive people away.

WW monks didn't lose anything besides fire blossom, they're too new to have too much junk added on them over the years.

You missed the point of the ability purge altogether, they got rid of stuff that is totally pointless and you wont NEED a replacement or something.

From the WoW panel about the ability pruning:

I completely agree, but it's also your goddam fault.
-Abilities are just randomly there in the skillbook instead of having a clear way to distinguish the core abilities from the other ones
-Tooltips are rarely clear enough (lol Symbiosis)
-they change abilities all the goddamn time so it's hard to keep track of the fluctuating damage/effect of some of your abilities. Sometimes you come back after a while, your ability is still there with the same icon and all, but it doesn't do the same shit and you have no idea it changed until you read the tooltip.

Basically, the "what's new" thingy in WoD should have been there years ago and should show the changes for your class.
Also skillbook revamp please because it is so old and ineffective.

Blizzard really needs to add a fucking "Passives" tab to the skillbook, IMO.

Sometimes when I'm leveling a character it's just like "Oh.. when did that start happening??"

Top Bottom