• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Honestly I've learned more about how to pull a dungeon as DPS than as a tank, since I learn from everyone else's mistakes from my third person perspective. Tanks have the most ridiculous learning curve compared to others in WoW. 90 levels of 'lol AOE it down' to 'oh yeah you have abilities that keep you alive time to guess what that boss cast bar is doing!' while DPS can get away with 'LOL AOE IT DOWN' since nobody blames them for anything.

ZenaxPure

I would hold back for the first 10 seconds of the pull, use Feint on cooldown, and Vanish on cooldown to reset my agro.

I remember one night on nef being lazy with my feints because we were well on farm status and I stole hate halfway through the fight right as he breathed, almost caused a wipe. Man threat stuff kind of sucked, feint is such a cooler ability now.

Also I always interrupt as DPS, stopping a mob from casting is a pretty satisfying feeling. I used to not do it when kick had an energy cost but the second they dropped it, kicks 24/7.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so wtf????? I was just playing and kicked out.. and I try logging back in and am told I'm banned. I get the email and it said I "exchanged real money for in-game items" which I absolutely did not. Even more confusing is that I haven't traded money or items with ANYONE in-game... I've gotten a couple of +35 gems from a guildie and that's it.... ugh.

Renekton

so wtf????? I was just playing and kicked out.. and I try logging back in and am told I'm banned. I get the email and it said I "exchanged real money for in-game items" which I absolutely did not. Even more confusing is that I haven't traded money or items with ANYONE in-game... I've gotten a couple of +35 gems from a guildie and that's it.... ugh.
Ask that guildie if he did anything noteworthy.

Tanking is just frustrating if you're running with randoms. Just know you have to do all interrupting

Healing is just a stressful experience. Everyone taking damage at once, all standing in fire, never interrupting, never removing debuffs..

Guild or bust

Or just be a hunter like me and pew pew shit from a distance

lexi

Banned
Tanking is just frustrating if you're running with randoms. Just know you have to do all interrupting

Healing is just a stressful experience. Everyone taking damage at once, all standing in fire, never interrupting, never removing debuffs..

Guild or bust

Or just be a hunter like me and pew pew shit from a distance

Healing in pugs is the most stressful thing in WoW, I think. I was in a group yesterday and the tank was 'First time I've been here, hey actually, this is my first heroic!'.

Like, fucking really? When I queue as DPS I seem to get veteran groups and we demolish the place, when I queue as a healer I'm somehow always with newbies.

Not complaining about newbies specifically, I successfully coached this tank through the heroic politely.

Renekton

Healing in pugs is the most stressful thing in WoW, I think. I was in a group yesterday and the tank was 'First time I've been here, hey actually, this is my first heroic!'.

Like, fucking really? When I queue as DPS I seem to get veteran groups and we demolish the place, when I queue as a healer I'm somehow always with newbies.

Not complaining about newbies specifically, I successfully coached this tank through the heroic politely.
I haven't tried heroic/mythic raids yet but so far PUG-Healing is really stress-free in Draenor, it's nothing like the 2hit-death of TBC (e.g. heroic Mechanar or Blood Furnace). Plus healers seldom get kicked or blamed.

This is a funny topic.

I only raid with guilds as DPS, I've never not raided as dps outside of a stint in HC Dragon Soul progress when one of out healers left and we had no decent replacement.

But when I pug dungeons/raids, 90% of the time I tank or heal (when on non tanking hybrid, or on a hybrid that either has no tanking spec (shaman) or where tanking is the most boring thing in existence coughcoughMoPdruidcoughcough).

The only time I ever get blamed for something that is not my fault is when the off tank fucks up and someone says the general 'omg tanks have no clue' which is the same as when people 'healers suck' or 'dps sucks' even though you might be doing your part fine. All you have to do is tell them it wasn't your fuck up but the other guys and everything is gucci. I've never gotten shit after that.

I don't really see much difference tbh, when I interrupt or purge something as a tank, I would have done it as DPS or healer anyways. If you don't use your defensives to reduce the damage you take/not die even as DPS/healer you're pretty bad, it's not just a tanking thing. Positioning mobs isn't really a big deal (apart from that one time in was it wotlk or tbc where mobs were bugged and always tried to get behind you). It's not like anything needs marking outside of challenge mode these days (even then not really).

And it's like if say there's not enough interrupts on the brakenspore big add, people don't single out the tank for it, because that's not just you're responsibility/fuck up, but that of everyone that can interrupt (unless you're doing interrupting assignments or w/e.)

It basically boils down to don't be shit, no matter what spec you play, it's just that when you're shit as tank/healer it stands out more because you matter more.

I honestly pay more attention when I'm DPSing compared to tanking, but that's probably because I'm a meter whore who gets serious self esteem issues and gets all emo if I'm not at the top of the charts.

cdyhybrid

This is a funny topic.

I only raid with guilds as DPS, I've never not raided as dps outside of a stint in HC Dragon Soul progress when one of out healers left and we had no decent replacement.

But when I pug dungeons/raids, 90% of the time I tank or heal (when on non tanking hybrid, or on a hybrid that either has no tanking spec (shaman) or where tanking is the most boring thing in existence coughcoughMoPdruidcoughcough).

The only time I ever get blamed for something that is not my fault is when the off tank fucks up and someone says the general 'omg tanks have no clue' which is the same as when people 'healers suck' or 'dps sucks' even though you might be doing your part fine. All you have to do is tell them it wasn't your fuck up but the other guys and everything is gucci. I've never gotten shit after that.

I don't really see much difference tbh, when I interrupt or purge something as a tank, I would have done it as DPS or healer anyways. If you don't use your defensives to reduce the damage you take/not die even as DPS/healer you're pretty bad, it's not just a tanking thing. Positioning mobs isn't really a big deal (apart from that one time in was it wotlk or tbc where mobs were bugged and always tried to get behind you). It's not like anything needs marking outside of challenge mode these days (even then not really).

And it's like if say there's not enough interrupts on the brakenspore big add, people don't single out the tank for it, because that's not just you're responsibility/fuck up, but that of everyone that can interrupt (unless you're doing interrupting assignments or w/e.)

It basically boils down to don't be shit, no matter what spec you play, it's just that when you're shit as tank/healer it stands out more because you matter more.

I honestly pay more attention when I'm DPSing compared to tanking, but that's probably because I'm a meter whore who gets serious self esteem issues and gets all emo if I'm not at the top of the charts.

I mean, you're right, but the point was that tanks are expected to not be shit. DPS and, to a lesser extent, healers aren't.

I mean, you're right, but the point was that tanks are expected to not be shit. DPS and, to a lesser extent, healers aren't.

I dunno, it might be a personal thing but I feel much more embarrassed if I fuck up as DPS.

The first time I ever did koragh was in a pug I was tanking I stood in the middle when he did he was recharging and accidentally stole the shield, it was inevitably a wipe, and I was like 'soz totally my bad' and everyone was gucci and went again.

If I was there as dps and I fucked up that bad I probably would have left and cried myself to sleep.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah, as a healer, I take it super personally when someone dies, even when they stand in fire/shit or do dumb stuff.

I'm so happy Blizz put in Leap of Faith for me. It allows me to pull people away from fire, from insides holes (like Kargath), etc. Guardian Angel is also a lifesaver when the tank is super low and I don't have enough burst heals because GCD sometimes destroy me.

I remember when that first came out, my old guildies would find creative ways to use it to kill me, even while I would be tanking bosses. Luckily the guild was tight enough that we all found it amazingly funny and no one got annoyed. Man, I wish that guild never fell apart it was too much fun.

I dunno, it might be a personal thing but I feel much more embarrassed if I fuck up as DPS.

The first time I ever did koragh was in a pug I was tanking I stood in the middle when he did he was recharging and accidentally stole the shield, it was inevitably a wipe, and I was like 'soz totally my bad' and everyone was gucci and went again.

If I was there as dps and I fucked up that bad I probably would have left and cried myself to sleep.

Part of it is there's usually so little to fuck up on when you're a tank. Unless the fight is really designed to test us, and some have been over the years, we don't need to do a whole lot in a raid setting other than mind positioning and stay alive. Most of the mechanics are there for DPS or healers, which makes no sense because as a result the DPS learning curve is borked. They have to go from "AOE everything always!" to "oh I need to pay attention now". They have to go from 0 to pro real fast and unless your guild is pro that always causes problems. At least tanks get to practice fight mechanics in dungeons.

ampere

Open a support ticket and explain the situation, or call support. Sometimes they incorrectly ban people. Hope you get it resolved soon.

Keep in mind a lot of those changes are just tooltip fixes. The chages are already live, the tooltips just aren't updated.

No amount of repeating this will be enough, there will be many a cry of "why am I nerfed again!?!" and "woo buffs!"

Mordeccai

I had never tanked before in WoW, boosted a DK with WoD, and spec'd blood and proceeded to work my way through dungeons and heroics with those sweet insta ques. I don't understand what is so difficult about it, you basically have a check list for every dungeon.

1. Read the fuckin journal section entitled "TANK" and if you are feeling extra ambitious look at the other sections.

2. Know what your 'oh shit' buttons are

3. Watch the healers mana because nobody talks

4. AOE all the things

I mean yeah of course sometimes you get shitheads in your group, but who cares? You're the one tanking, you'll never see that player again, who cares if some neck beard is yelling at you.

I was really nervous when I first rolled tank, but after running a few dungeons I was shocked at how easy it really is in five mans. Maybe I just have thicker skin than others but a bit of reading about my class, cool downs, and fight mechanics made the content go smooth as butter.

And tbh raiding hasn't been difficult for a tank either, I just had to get used to shifting my focus from meters/health bars to mob positioning/debuff stacks and general fight awareness. DBM makes LFD trivial.

cdyhybrid

Is there a "I just hit 100, how do I get into PVP?" guide out there somewhere? Stuff like the best way to get Conquest, fastest place to farm Honor, etc.

ZenaxPure

Ooh, pets for BT/MH/SWP, was that teased before?

Don't think so, but, it's about time really. The item squish changes made it pretty easy to solo everything up to Dragon Soul so they can get away with adding pets at least up to there. Obviously they won't since they want to space them out over the course of years, but, still.

Also you can't make me go back to Hyjal blizzard, I refuse. I will just buy those pets off the AH.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I've been doing some LFR every now and again and I have to say, despite how easy it is, I like it in it's current form. I'm one of those players who needs to experience a fight before I fully understand it. A couple of the fights never made a lot of sense until I got to see it a couple times. I'm ok with how it is. I'm more confident now than I would have been for if i chose to move up to 'normal' or whatever they call it now. Guild groups etc.

This is a downright pathtetic "content" patch if this is all it is.

This should really be a 6.0.x patch or something, this is all shit that should've launched with Draenor.

Hopefully there's more to it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I've been doing some LFR every now and again and I have to say, despite how easy it is, I like it in it's current form. I'm one of those players who needs to experience a fight before I fully understand it. A couple of the fights never made a lot of sense until I got to see it a couple times. I'm ok with how it is. I'm more confident now than I would have been for if i chose to move up to 'normal' or whatever they call it now. Guild groups etc.

Hopefully there's more to it.

They added BRF Garrison missions in 6.1. BRF will be out the same day 6.1 drops or like a week after.

BRF is essentially 6.1.

Even though it's not.

WTF are they doing?

ZenaxPure

WTF are they doing?

Dunno, I wish I understood what was going on as well, a lot of stuff in WoD feels half baked and I'm not really sure who or what to blame.

Maybe they are actually heavily working on the next expansion right now and it actually will release a year later. Maybe this is the price we have to pay.

TheYanger

I dunno, I think those patch cliff notes seem decent. Some of that stuff is super ambiguous how much content it could add, but you're talking about a patch that is happening mid-tier, it was always just going to be a bunch of random shit. Depending on what the garrison bosses and all these other additions actually entail it could be a decent bit of stuff.

I mean, the Krasarang factions and associated questlines/scenarios were the 5.1 in mop and that was a decent little patch. Yeah, it had some BGs, but new BGs haven't been super common for most of wow's history so I wasn't expecting that again, this sounds like more content if you're not into pvp.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No greater changes in patch 6.1 to Arms from what I can see, though weapon damage of Whirlwind has been changed from 200% to 140%. Hopefully things can improve during the testing phase.

Also, my game time has expired. Bah.

ZenaxPure

I mean, the Krasarang factions and associated questlines/scenarios were the 5.1 in mop and that was a decent little patch. Yeah, it had some BGs, but new BGs haven't been super common for most of wow's history so I wasn't expecting that again, this sounds like more content if you're not into pvp.

5.1 also added a bunch of new pet battle stuff and the brawler's guild which on its own was pretty beefy content-wise and had a nice social element as a side effect. This patch doesn't look on par with 5.1 at all to me, but, it's still extremely early so I am not going to knee-jerk react to the content we know nothing about.

Garrison bosses sound interesting, but, my worry is they end up like invasions where triggering one yourself is annoying/time consuming and there is no reason to do more than 1 per week.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Is there a "I just hit 100, how do I get into PVP?" guide out there somewhere? Stuff like the best way to get Conquest, fastest place to farm Honor, etc.

Ashran is good conquest/honor, but it takes an hour or two to queue up for it on most servers.
There are 4 side events that pop up every 30-40 minutes that are annouced via a zone message. Each one gives 125 conquest, 250 honor and a chance at a box that can contain blue gear. These events can be repeated an unlimited time. The main boss (if you faction can kill him) gives 350 conquest and a chance at an epic daily.

You can also try to the group finder tool and find another fresh player that is looking to do arena. I haven't done arena in years so I am not sure how fast it would be to gear up.

Random BGs can be ok for honor and gear, but gives really bad conquest (50 per win).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

You just hit 100. First, there's no more "pvp stat," what pvp gear really is giving you is ilvl scaling in pvp zones. There's three tiers (well, 4 but let's forget high lvl shit) of stuff you can get:

600 blues - welfare for beginners to gear
620 - basic tier before cq gear
660 - the real gear

If you have the pvp building, pump it full of bones as you'll often get 620 and warforged 626 gear. Otherwise, if you just sign up for 2v2 skirmishes you will get boxes that contain basic 600 gear blues. For free. It's a quick way to get some free pvp stuff. Similarly, doing well in random bgs will also get you random blues as rewards.

Ashran is by far the quickest way to gear up. Get into Ashran and get invited to the event group. Follow the group around the map and do the events. You'll get honor/cq/and free 620 gear. Do this for 2-3 hours and, after turning your artifacts in, you will basically have a full set of 600-620 gear.

The rest is on you how to farm your weekly CQ. You can do the above event method, but there's really no pvp in Ashran unless you're in the push group - which basically gives no CQ. The events are easy CQ but there's a lot of down time. The best way to get CQ is arena or rated bgs. Rated bg wins give you like 450 and even losses give you like 130. And you get to pvp. Arena is good ol' arena.

RPGCrazied

Yessss!

newAA.jpg

Coming in 6.1. Maybe now the game won't look like a jagged mess.

From MMO - Champ

Systems
Twitter integration has been added, with suggested Tweets like "I just earned the %s Achievement! #Warcraft" and the ability to tweet screenshots.
The Patch 6.1 information splash screen shows what appears to be the Heirloom collections tab
New Anti-Aliasing Options - MSAA, SSAA, SSAA + CMAA
There is a new account type that has similar restrictions to Starter Edition accounts, called a Veteran Edition account.
Boss Kills now show up with a new UI element
There is a now some sort of Death Log that shows you how you died
You can cancel flightpaths and land at the next Flight Master in your trip
Nvidia Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion was added

Draxal

You just hit 100. First, there's no more "pvp stat," what pvp gear really is giving you is ilvl scaling in pvp zones. There's three tiers (well, 4 but let's forget high lvl shit) of stuff you can get:

600 blues - welfare for beginners to gear
620 - basic tier before cq gear
660 - the real gear

If you have the pvp building, pump it full of bones as you'll often get 620 and warforged 626 gear. Otherwise, if you just sign up for 2v2 skirmishes you will get boxes that contain basic 600 gear blues. For free. It's a quick way to get some free pvp stuff. Similarly, doing well in random bgs will also get you random blues as rewards.

Ashran is by far the quickest way to gear up. Get into Ashran and get invited to the event group. Follow the group around the map and do the events. You'll get honor/cq/and free 620 gear. Do this for 2-3 hours and, after turning your artifacts in, you will basically have a full set of 600-620 gear.

The rest is on you how to farm your weekly CQ. You can do the above event method, but there's really no pvp in Ashran unless you're in the push group - which basically gives no CQ. The events are easy CQ but there's a lot of down time. The best way to get CQ is arena or rated bgs. Rated bg wins give you like 450 and even losses give you like 130. And you get to pvp. Arena is good ol' arena.

Event groups depend on faction. For my battlegroup horde always wins the events, because alliance rushes and wins Volrath 100% of the time with sometimes beating ogre boss if he's up during the right time.

Imho this is the best part of the patch.

Sargerei Disguise
Barrel of Bandanas
Moroes' Famous Polish
Mini Mana Bomb
Personal Hologram
Trans-Dimensional Bird Whistle
Fandral's Seed Pouch
Rukhmar's Sacred Memory
Scroll of Storytelling

Will all be made into toys.

I got a 685 Shard of Hate from my Mythic Cache
I already have Shard of Hate 670
That's the only thing I've gotten consistently

Fuck you shard of hate

Edit:Correction:It's Shard of Nothing. I put hate on it because it hates me.

Rapstah

Have they said how many tiers of content WoD actually is going to have? Foundry is still going to drop the same item level as Evermaul, right?

ZenaxPure

Have they said how many tiers of content WoD actually is going to have? Foundry is still going to drop the same item level as Evermaul, right?

For the longest time they've said they want WoD to be 2 tiers (Highmaul/BRF counting as the same tier, so these raids + one more raid later in the year), but, recently they've been talking about a third tier being possible.

Also no, Blackrock Foundry gear is a slightly higher ilvl than Highmaul gear, it's similar to the jump from MSV to HoF. 10 ilvls higher iirc.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Foundry was never going to drop the same ilvl as highmaul. You can look at foundry items in the dungeon journal on live, they are higher.

It's kind of telling when the thing I'm looking forward to the most in that patch is the better anti aliasing...

Also, even the alliance garrison load screen looks better than the horde one, dat favoritism.

e90Mark

Had this happen to me a few months ago. Just appeal..

Worst thing is my friends list was cleared and I obviously don't remember everybody I had on there.

M.D

I'm 635 after getting some items, maybe I'll get more invites to raiding groups now ;p

I bought Throat-Ripper Gauntlets lvl 670 for 8K, the others were 16k so it was quite the steal ;p

Actually got the same piece at level 655 from a normal raid after I bought mine, but gave it to a guildmate

I got a 685 Shard of Hate from my Mythic Cache
I already have Shard of Hate 670
That's the only thing I've gotten consistently

Fuck you shard of hate

Edit:Correction:It's Shard of Nothing. I put hate on it because it hates me.

I got a 685 Cloak of Creeping Necrosis from my Mythic Cache today, even though I already had a 670 version. I mean it's still an upgrade, but it's the second smallest upgrade I could have gotten from it. (After the 676 boots I''m wearing) I'm still running around with 630 shoulders, getting 685 shoulders would've been a lot more useful.

Top Bottom