• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
So I resubbed for a bit while im waiting for the new FFXIV expansion and I was wondering what server alot of Gaf people are on. Ive got a few characters on Earthern Ring but dont know anyone still on that server anymore and I was really thinking about making a new guy anyway. What server are you all on?

Everyone is too spread out. Honestly we should have taken the expansion as a chance to set up a more central GAF server, even if its just for spare time alts. There's nothing like 14's Ultros though. If anything, cross server invites let you at least enjoy most basic content together. For example, if we really wanted to we could set up a pvp or pve night.

StMeph

Everyone is too spread out. Honestly we should have taken the expansion as a chance to set up a more central GAF server, even if its just for spare time alts. There's nothing like 14's Ultros though. If anything, cross server invites let you at least enjoy most basic content together. For example, if we really wanted to we could set up a pvp or pve night.

Intra-GAF PvP would be pretty hilarious, but I wonder if the faction is stacked in any one direction.

Done with Emperor Shaohao. Went from 1k Friendly to exalted in roughly 9-10 hours I believe. We spread it over three sessions. Not too bad at all and made something like 2k gold from it or maybe more?

Sort of want to go back to get it to 999 exalted. Nearly all of mine are that way. I have 63 exalted factions and 59 or 60 of them are at 999 exalted.

And now at 243 mounts.

Leatherworking will get me one, I believe I've got three faction mounts left to farm (Sha'tari Defense, Arakkoa Outcasts, and Steamwheedle Preservation? Is there an Ashran rep mount? Probably won't get it regardless). So then maybe camping Poundfist or if one of the eight raid mounts drop that I do weekly I'll pretty much be done.

Atlantis

Wow the loot gods love me this week. Won a 2h on my DK last night from normal Ko'ragh. Ran heroic tonight on my Mage. Rolled the staff from Tectus and then a warforged trinket from Twin Ogron right after. Decided to use a bonus roll on Ko'ragh to see if my luck would continue but rolled gold. Spent about 45 minutes on Imperator before calling it. Should have him dead tomorrow. Only other thing I won was a heroic warforged ring that replaces my normal heroic one but I was hyped rolling that staff.

Had two staves drop off Tectus this week, one was Heroic Warforged with a Socket.

Had the RL gift the staff to me as I'm still using a 5-man staff, but there was confusion over loot rules and people were getting kind of upset so I ended up giving it away. Had a chat with the guild leader afterwards. Still using my trusty blue staff.

Guilds are hard, yo.

Hopefully Normal HM will deliver something.

squadr0n

Thanks, I figured that was the case. We should for sure think about doing something like that for Gaf night lol. I havent picked up the expansion yet but I plan too once I get the hang of things again. I stopped playing after Panderia and picked up FFXIV so I need to get back into the flow of WoW again. .

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's a bunch of botting level 90 boosted Druids in Guardian spec that clear Stonecore over and over, then fly to a vendor when their bags get full. Then they fly back and do it all over

I was wondering about that. My friend recently got hacked and the hacker was in Stonecore on his character. Couldn't figure out why.

Windam

Scaley member
Hyper Augment Runes. Hyper Augment Runes everywhere. Two weeks in a row now that LFR has given me nothing but these damned runes. Also, jeez the new (male) Night Elf run animation is terrible. Reminds me way too much of the Pandaren.

I was wondering about that. My friend recently got hacked and the hacker was in Stonecore on his character. Couldn't figure out why.

During Wrath when my account was hacked I came on to find they had been running Hellfire Ramparts repeatedly. A low level dungeon from the previous expansion is probably a fairly quick run and vendoring everything (or maybe putting some stuff up on the AH?) seems to be a really quick way to get gold if you have the patience for it.

I did make a decent bit of gold myself during all my runs in Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle for the mounts.

Adaren

couple thousand per run? how long would a run take?

Dragon Soul will be done in < :45 once you know what you're doing; Firelands will be even quicker.

They're raids, though, so you can only do each once per week.

I haven't hit up the other old Cata raids recently, but I'd imagine they drop similar amounts of gold.

Dragon Soul will be done in < :45 once you know what you're doing; Firelands will be even quicker.

I haven't hit up the other old Cata raids recently, but I'd imagine they drop similar amounts of gold.

I thought Dragon Soul couldn't be soloed on 25 because of a mechanic on Ultraxion? It's the main reason I haven't bothered trying. I doubt anything else would be all that tough.

I did Firelands on 25m Heroic this week and that was rough to solo due to stuns and building debuffs. I'm guessing heroic doesn't really change much in terms of gold/loot drops? Maybe I should do 25m Normal instead of my normal 10m Heroic.

Typically I get 3-4k gold a week from running the six old raids I do each week for mounts. I've thought about running more just for the extra gold, though. Aside from TCG mounts on the AH I'm getting fairly close to buying all mounts available for gold and the couple left are very expensive (Grand Expedition Yak, Alliance bike, and I feel one other thing? Maybe not).

do you have to go to the dungeon or can you que up for this through dungeon finder?

do you have to go to the dungeon or can you que up for this through dungeon finder?

Have to run through the instance portal.

I take the portal from Dalaran to the Cavern of Time for Dragon Soul. Alternatively you could fly over from Uldum. Probably the two quickest ways in. To find the portal entrance just check the map when you're in the main area and it'll have all the paths labeled.

Firelands is found in Mount Hyjal if you're unaware. Big fiery castle thing south (I think?) from when you port in from Stormwind/Orgrimmar.

cdyhybrid

Anyone good with TellMeWhen? Trying to have an icon appear when a spell is usable, then have it display a timer for the buff that the spell gives me, then hide when the buff fades.

I have it set up as a Spell Cooldown Icon, but that just makes it disappear after I use it, instead of tracking the duration of the buff.

Anyone good with TellMeWhen? Trying to have an icon appear when a spell is usable, then have it display a timer for the buff that the spell gives me, then hide when the buff fades.

I have it set up as a Spell Cooldown Icon, but that just makes it disappear after I use it, instead of tracking the duration of the buff.

Not sure. I can do it in Weak Auras though which I've converted to entirely now.

Finally killed heroic Imperator tonight when we swapped a Holy Pally who stepped on mines for a Resto Shaman who stepped on mines but did way better healing.

Karl Hawk

Banned
Blue Post from Bashiok:
I'm really interested to see how people react to T18. To me it's kind of a big change in direction. Our focus for quite a while has been to look at the bosses and materials of a raid environment, or iconic expansion imagery, and play off those. It's going to be a big departure, where the artists are taking a step back and really looking at the classes themselves, and looking at more classical fantasy materials--as well as just pushing the detail and quality level. I think it's kind of a cool new direction, even though it's almost like going back to a more classic look.

Source: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15700583998?page=1

Color me interested.

What do you think is the best content to solo for gold/enchanting?

Also, 10 of my followers now are 651, but I only get 615 and the occasional 630 mission. Is there no way to change that?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Also, 10 of my followers now are 651, but I only get 615 and the occasional 630 mission. Is there no way to change that?

I think missions are just random... even though all my active followers are lvl 100, I still get lvl 95-99 missions and that useless lvl 90 "The Night Watch" one. 645 missions are very rare for a good reason... otherwise everyone would gear themselves through missions rather than raids.

Most of the higher level missions have pretty long cooldowns, have you never had a highmaul mission pop up?

Mupod

Finally beat heroic Imperator last night after 10 million wipes. Won the caster trinket too - had to roll against 12 fucking people (healers and caster dps). Trinket itemization is so dumb.

My guild has a problem in that we only have 10-12 dedicated raiders interested in hard content, and a few competent pugs on our server we pick up regularly. But we still need to fill out the rest of our raid which means we get a few unknown variables every time. So we go 2-3 wipes before we boot the people standing in mines, get a new guy, hope he's not a moron, repeat. Before you know it, we've spent 2 hours wiping on a fight 90% of us can do flawlessly. Because of how broken scaling is, the fight is vastly easier with 20-30 than it is with 10, especially if you stack healers. I love the idea of scaling raids and not having to make people sit out, but this shit doesn't work at all.

Mythic isn't really do-able if your guild isn't totally focused on Mythic. We got Kargath down but Twin Ogrons last night was painful, we barely got any pulls in. Pug ragequits after 1 wipe, 10 minutes to find a replacement, 2 people leave while waiting. We tried merging with similar small groups but nobody seems interested, so we've started recruiting for Mythic. Which kinda sucks too because I'm pretty much just here to play with old friends. I just don't know how to play MMORPGs casually and the fact that Mythic exists and drops the best loot means I need to do it.

1up

One shot Grimrail Challenge mode and got the realm best title and gold. I'm 5/8 Gold right now. Just need UBRS, Everbloom, and Slag Mines.

Also killed Brackenspore on Mythic and got a Mythic Warforged bow. I couldn't be happier.

Krassus

I thought Dragon Soul couldn't be soloed on 25 because of a mechanic on Ultraxion? It's the main reason I haven't bothered trying. I doubt anything else would be all that tough.

I did Firelands on 25m Heroic this week and that was rough to solo due to stuns and building debuffs. I'm guessing heroic doesn't really change much in terms of gold/loot drops? Maybe I should do 25m Normal instead of my normal 10m Heroic.

Typically I get 3-4k gold a week from running the six old raids I do each week for mounts. I've thought about running more just for the extra gold, though. Aside from TCG mounts on the AH I'm getting fairly close to buying all mounts available for gold and the couple left are very expensive (Grand Expedition Yak, Alliance bike, and I feel one other thing? Maybe not).

Ultraxion wasn't bad for me as a new player. I wiped once on 25H trying to farm money and then switched from a tank --> dps spec and hes a pushover.

So my wife and I have been playing monks on Emerald Dream and queueing for random dungeons.

She is a tank and I am a healer... up till Cataclysm dungeons (we are both around 82) we have been doing fine but recently we get "you are bad" or "l2p" lobbed at both of us. We are both used to dps and she has not seen any of the Cataclysm content and I barely remember how the bosses work.

I think it would be a better experience with guildies but we really don't have a real guild except for the trash leveling guild we joined called Kawaii Club. We are on Emerald Dream, Horde side. Does anyone have advice on how to find more forgiving people willing to go through these encounters with pretty much newbies to that content and those roles? We really are sick of asshole 11-year old's and want to continue our tank-healer combo but do not want to be hassled for taking more than one attempt on a boss.

Case in point we will get through the bosses but it takes a couple of attempts which might seem sad to some people but we are casual and don't take this game super seriously.

Please WoWGaf, help us.

Bisnic

So my wife and I have been playing monks on Emerald Dream and queueing for random dungeons.

She is a tank and I am a healer... up till Cataclysm dungeons (we are both around 82) we have been doing fine but recently we get "you are bad" or "l2p" lobbed at both of us. We are both used to dps and she has not seen any of the Cataclysm content and I barely remember how the bosses work.

I think it would be a better experience with guildies but we really don't have a real guild except for the trash leveling guild we joined called Kawaii Club. We are on Emerald Dream, Horde side. Does anyone have advice on how to find more forgiving people willing to go through these encounters with pretty much newbies to that content and those roles? We really are sick of asshole 11-year old's and want to continue our tank-healer combo but do not want to be hassled for taking more than one attempt on a boss.

Case in point we will get through the bosses but it takes a couple of attempts which might seem sad to some people but we are casual and don't take this game super seriously.

Please WoWGaf, help us.

Unless you find a guild to help(or some Horde people here on GAF at the right lvl), you'll pretty much have to "deal with it".

If you want a tip though, it's best to tell people when a dungeon start that it's your first time doing it, ask them if there is something special you need to know for the bosses. Unless you say something, people expect you've been playing most of the content for years. Might help and avoid some "l2p noob".
Some casual comments and small jokes once in a while might make people more friendly too.

Not sure about what level enchant mats you need, but Firelands and Dragon soul give a crap ton of gold. I get 12-1400 in 10 man and 2500 in 25 man. I did firelands and ds 10 man in just over an hour on my 92 enhance sham. 10 man is easy solo at 90, but I wouldn't do 25 man til 100.

I didn't pay attention to how much gold I got from Descent, but I would imagine that is also quite lucrative as it has many bosses close together and bosses seem to be worth 2-300g on 25man.

ampere

One shot Grimrail Challenge mode and got the realm best title and gold. I'm 5/8 Gold right now. Just need UBRS, Everbloom, and Slag Mines.

Also killed Brackenspore on Mythic and got a Mythic Warforged bow. I couldn't be happier.

We got realm best for Docks and Auchindoun, but lost them a few days later ~_~. I really liked Dockmaster. Are you still pugging them? I can't stomach pugs anymore so we are slowly doing them as schedules line up on off nights. As always there is a shortage of tanks/healers and tons of dps interested so I'll prob do them on a few of my tanks.

We got Brackenspore to 1% last night : /. Too many early deaths to explosions/waves, sigh.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman

Please WoWGaf, help us.

I don't get this. I've never gotten mad and raged at anyone in LFD, but I've also never not kicked someone or left if they don't know what they're doing. I'm trying to level as fast as possible, I think 9/10 anyone lower than level 90 now is an alt instead of a new player now that the boost is in.

But LFD is a two way street. It has long since been abandoned as a co-op concept and long since been only about yourself. I help my guildies out by doing heroics and am patient with them, because they're in my guild. But when I solo queue and someone is wearing the wrong gear or absolutely slowing the group down by a considerable margin, it's time to go.

It's a good thing you're looking for one to help you out, its exactly what you should be doing, but I don't think you do yourself any favors by attacking people in LFD and caricaturing them as snot nosed 11 year olds when you're, essentially, wasting their time by queuing as a role you don't know.

And it's exactly like Bisnic said. If I join a LFD and someone says it's their first time, I usually sit up and pay attention and try to help as much as possible. But when someone doesn't say anything and just continues to suck, it's the whole 'actions speak louder than words thing' and what you're really saying is "Please carry me, I don't know what I'm doing and don't have an interest in learning." Turn on DBM and look at the dungeon journal real quick.

Please WoWGaf, help us.

People don't like having their time being wasted over old content. If you're going to tank instances you should know what you're doing - if you don't at least ask for tips on a boss you don't know (that way you're not wiping). Most people are not new to the game.

Alternatively don't queue as tank.

Ultraxion wasn't bad for me as a new player. I wiped once on 25H trying to farm money and then switched from a tank --> dps spec and hes a pushover.

I'll give that a shot then next week. I thought it was someone here that said that on 25m it'll do an instant kill early on in the fight if you try to solo. Worst case scenario would be roping in a guildmate or something to finish the fight if my DPS isn't high enough.

I really need to work on farming for leatherworking but I can't bring myself to do it. Leatherworking appears terrible to level from the little I've looked up. If nothing else I'll have it done in about two months if I keep up with the daily cooldowns, heh.

Edit:
People don't like having their time being wasted over old content. If you're going to tank instances you should know what you're doing - if you don't at least ask for tips on a boss you don't know (that way you're not wiping). Most people are not new to the game.

While I wouldn't be bothered playing with new players I sort of agree with this. If you're not planning on taking the time to play your roles well (and I don't mean serious raiders or anything) then you should maybe not be playing roles that require the most skill/dedication. Are you two going through the Dungeon Journal in game before hopping into a dungeon for the first time? Honestly that should be enough for most dungeons to have a decent understanding of what to expect and make it so wipes are very infrequent. If you take a few minutes to do that before doing a dungeon once and when you enter just take a quick second to say, "Hey, we're both new to the game, we've read the dungeon journal but point out any major things that may not be obvious." I've done that plenty of times and you'll rarely get anyone rude. You might get met with silence. But alternatively you might get at least one person in there that will be quick to point out things.

I've played with a couple people that enjoyed playing but didn't want to take the time to really learn it or understand how to properly use all their abilities. It worked out because they were DPS and just ended up a bit lower than others would with equal gear but it still allowed them to enjoy the game.

Or join a new, active guild and try to get them to run some things with you. Better yet, ask them for tips on how to tank/heal with your particular classes and you might learn some things that could help in fights that may not have been obvious. I played a paladin tank exclusively for the last six months of Burning Crusade through Wrath and it wasn't until doing Mimiron in Ulduar (having ran a load of the previous raids) that the main tank was like, "Use your shield wall ability to absorb the second beam." I had no idea what he meant, ate the hit, died, and wiped. He asked what happened, I explained paladins don't have a shield wall, and he's like, "Well, yeah, it's called blah blah blah" (don't remember the name). Turns out I misunderstood the ability, assumed it wiped aggro, so I NEVER used the ability up to that point. I was a good tank, too. I had simply survived without knowing about that one ability and finally came to a fight where it was absolutely needed.

Point is you should either take the time or effort to learn your classes and specs a little better if you want the responsibility or take the time to learn the fights. It doesn't take much time at all with the dungeon journal and being open in chat.

ampere

It does come with the territory that if you are tanking, people expect you to know exactly what to do. You are the de-facto captain, leader, the quarterback of the dungeon group. A bit unfair at times, especially for new players, but that does leave the options of researching the place prior, asking questions, or queuing as dps until you know the instances. Or doing as you are doing and putting up with it if you have annoyed dps, as in a way they are having to put up with a less smooth run that usual if there are hick-ups :p

I'll give that a shot then next week. I thought it was someone here that said that on 25m it'll do an instant kill early on in the fight if you try to solo. Worst case scenario would be roping in a guildmate or something to finish the fight if my DPS isn't high enough.

You have to kill him before the first Hour of Twilight on 25, or you need 3 people to soak it or it insta-wipes. Thing is, it's probably just super easy to kill him that fast at 100 now.

cdyhybrid

Best way is probably to just give a brief once-over to dungeon guides for places you could potentially be queueing for. Then once you're in game, just check the dungeon journal while killing trash on the way to the boss.

Normal dungeons aren't that hard, if you just follow the tips in the journal you'll probably be fine.

Mupod

As a tank I usually just ask people to warn me if a boss does anything cute. No reason to stay silent and pretend to know everything, not like they're gonna boot the tank and healer.

I don't get this. I've never gotten mad and raged at anyone in LFD, but I've also never not kicked someone or left if they don't know what they're doing. I'm trying to level as fast as possible, I think 9/10 anyone lower than level 90 now is an alt instead of a new player now that the boost is in.

But LFD is a two way street. It has long since been abandoned as a co-op concept and long since been only about yourself. I help my guildies out by doing heroics and am patient with them, because they're in my guild. But when I solo queue and someone is wearing the wrong gear or absolutely slowing the group down by a considerable margin, it's time to go.

It's a good thing you're looking for one to help you out, its exactly what you should be doing, but I don't think you do yourself any favors by attacking people in LFD and caricaturing them as snot nosed 11 year olds when you're, essentially, wasting their time by queuing as a role you don't know.

And it's exactly like Bisnic said. If I join a LFD and someone says it's their first time, I usually sit up and pay attention and try to help as much as possible. But when someone doesn't say anything and just continues to suck, it's the whole 'actions speak louder than words thing' and what you're really saying is "Please carry me, I don't know what I'm doing and don't have an interest in learning." Turn on DBM and look at the dungeon journal real quick.

While I wouldn't be bothered playing with new players I sort of agree with this. If you're not planning on taking the time to play your roles well (and I don't mean serious raiders or anything) then you should maybe not be playing roles that require the most skill/dedication. Are you two going through the Dungeon Journal in game before hopping into a dungeon for the first time? Honestly that should be enough for most dungeons to have a decent understanding of what to expect and make it so wipes are very infrequent. If you take a few minutes to do that before doing a dungeon once and when you enter just take a quick second to say, "Hey, we're both new to the game, we've read the dungeon journal but point out any major things that may not be obvious." I've done that plenty of times and you'll rarely get anyone rude. You might get met with silence. But alternatively you might get at least one person in there that will be quick to point out things.

I've played with a couple people that enjoyed playing but didn't want to take the time to really learn it or understand how to properly use all their abilities. It worked out because they were DPS and just ended up a bit lower than others would with equal gear but it still allowed them to enjoy the game.

Or join a new, active guild and try to get them to run some things with you. Better yet, ask them for tips on how to tank/heal with your particular classes and you might learn some things that could help in fights that may not have been obvious. I played a paladin tank exclusively for the last six months of Burning Crusade through Wrath and it wasn't until doing Mimiron in Ulduar (having ran a load of the previous raids) that the main tank was like, "Use your shield wall ability to absorb the second beam." I had no idea what he meant, ate the hit, died, and wiped. He asked what happened, I explained paladins don't have a shield wall, and he's like, "Well, yeah, it's called blah blah blah" (don't remember the name). Turns out I misunderstood the ability, assumed it wiped aggro, so I NEVER used the ability up to that point. I was a good tank, too. I had simply survived without knowing about that one ability and finally came to a fight where it was absolutely needed.

Point is you should either take the time or effort to learn your classes and specs a little better if you want the responsibility or take the time to learn the fights. It doesn't take much time at all with the dungeon journal and being open in chat.

I sincerely hope that they are 11 if they make comments like what we have seen. If not that is definitely an adolescent mentality.

And no one says we aren't willing to learn so thanks for that comment. /s Like I said it is just going to get better throughout the run not immediately owning every piece of content.

I do agree with one thing, being upfront might be a thing to embrace. The main thing here is we are alts too but played dps for a long time and intermittently. DPS is easy, do damage, don't pull aggro. A lot dps has the ability to remove threat so really isn't difficult to do your job well.

Honestly everything I just highlighted is pretty short-sighted and makes me smh... I am sincerely sad for the stance of this community on new players. (Which if you have been paying attention we aren't new players, just new to the role. I have a number of 90 toons.)

Gaming should be not be so inclusive that people cannot get off their high-horse and respect people in their party. (I know I cannot win this argument)

But moving on, thanks for at least responding... Sounds like find a decent guild, full of decent people or gtfo.

Man I was having fun playing a healer for once... well that was short-lived...

Rokal

Honestly everything I just highlighted is pretty short-sighted and makes me smh... I am sincerely sad for the stance of this community on new players.

The advice above essentially boils down to "be upfront with your group if you are new to a dungeon" or "check the dungeon journal before the run if you don't want to rely on your group mates". How is that asking too much?

Adaren

I can second everyone who's saying to let the group know it's your first time tanking a dungeon. I dinged 90 and started tanking MoP dungeon near the very end of the expansion, after people had been doing them for over a year, and never once had people complain about my lack of knowledge.

"Just as a heads-up, this is my first time running this dungeon, so if there's anything super special that needs to be done then please let me know. Thanks!"

Bisnic

The dungeon journal is good enough for new players. Blizzard seperated for each roles what players need to watch out for the bosses. It was useful when i did WoD dungeons for the first time.

Top Bottom