• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Rokal

Thanks, ive been using ice's guides but I almost need something a little more dumbed down. I know that sounds bad but even during Wrath I couldnt really get a grasp on what I was doing with my DK starting out. I understand the systems, but tbh there are alot of things to worry about. Most guides expect you already have all 3 specs and I only have frost. Ill keep trying, im still only about 2 hours into the boost area. At first I was dieing constantly but started to get a feel for the character and am able to hold my own know, just dont really know what does what and when to use it. Im not even sure what the DKs main attack is.

Thanks though.

There is a very simplistic "how to play" guide as one of the tabs on your spellbook. Check that out for your basic rotation and then check Icy Veins again when you are comfortable .

TheYanger

Thanks, ive been using ice's guides but I almost need something a little more dumbed down. I know that sounds bad but even during Wrath I couldnt really get a grasp on what I was doing with my DK starting out. I understand the systems, but tbh there are alot of things to worry about. Most guides expect you already have all 3 specs and I only have frost. Ill keep trying, im still only about 2 hours into the boost area. At first I was dieing constantly but started to get a feel for the character and am able to hold my own know, just dont really know what does what and when to use it. Im not even sure what the DKs main attack is.

Thanks though.

DKs are a resource based class like Rogues, monks, warlocks, and hunters. This is in stark contrast to classes like shamans and paladins and such that are very much about the cooldowns of their abilities, so that's the first thing to wrap your head around:
Stare at your resources, NOT your hotkeys. Your hotkeys don't tell you shit, your resources tell you what you can and should be doing.

You've got the 3 types of runes and runic power, your runes regenerate one at a time per type and are constantly regenning. Imagine an energy bar for 'blood' 'frost' 'unholy' and each rune is 50 energy out of 100 and it's about like that. You don't want any of them to be sitting at full (2 runes of that type) or you're wasting your resource generation. A BASIC goal would be to just make sure you're using all fo your runes ASAP. That gets people in trouble when they're new to the class a lot because they'll see they have 1 rune and use it on a 1 rune attack, so theres a BIT more depth than that (you should know what your priority is for each type of rune, for instance) which I'll detail in a second.

Runic power is a secondary resource that functions a lot like Rage, you gain it for using your rune spending abilities, and you have a few secondary attacks and abilities that spend RP to do stuff. One of the talent tiers early on (level 60) gives you a few choices that all boil down to "Spending RP generates more runes" which gives you sort of the core of the DK resource system: You have a feedback loop of runes and runic power, you spend runes to generate RP, and you spend RP to generate more runes. It's got inefficiency baked into the system, but your runes naturally regenerate too of course so you're never just sitting there waiting. If you're really coming to grasps with the setup, I'd recommend runic corruption. It's not usually the 'best' talent but the difference is minimal and it's BY FAR the simplest since it regens all of your runes evenly, just 'faster'

So once you understand how runes/RP work it just comes down to knowing WHAT to do with your runes and RP, which is the easy part:
Frost: Keep your diseases on things (Howling Blast/Plague Strike put them up), use RP on Frost Strike, use runes on Obliterate, and when you get Freezing Fog procs (The top spell proc with the default UI) you use Howling Blast. For questing you don't even use diseases, just walk up to things and obliterate them repeatedly. Obliterate costs UF and frost has a rune setup of DDFFUU, death runes are universal, so it BASICALLY converts to 3 obliterates if you use all of your runes from full. You have Pillar of Frost as a 1 minute CD that buffs your strength, and that's your only real dps cooldown, so it's pretty simple. (Costs a frost rune at lower levels but 90-100 you get a perk to make it free). Your side proc is Killing Machine which makes your next obliterate or frost strike automatically crit, you can basically ignore it and just keep playing as normal.

Unholy: Keep diseases up, with unholy you can do this JUST by plague striking. You use Festering Strike to turn frost and blood runes into death runes (universal) and you use unholy and death runes on Scourge Strike which is your large single target attack. This spec is a pet class, so your major emchanic is that every time you Death Coil (Your RP ability) you get a stack of a buff on your pet, and when you get 5 stacks you cast Dark Transformation (1 unholy rune) to turn your pet into a mega pet for 30 seconds. Unholy gameplay largely revolves around buffing your pet and then trying to pool resources to buff him again as quickly as possible when it ends. Ae is a bit more complex as unholy so I'll only get into if you want me to, and DPs cooldowns are Summon Gargoyle and Unholy Frenzy, which are 3 minute CDs.

Blood is almost the most basic, you spend Blood runes on blood boil, frost/unholy runes on death strike, and RP on death coil. Your death strikes turn your runes into death runes, but that's just to give you the versatility you need as a tank sometimes (more runes to use for blood boil or dath and decay to AE mobs, etc), realistically your 'rotation' is just Death strike, death coil, and blood boil.

Renekton

Wow man. Sometimes the RNG in this game can be insufferable. I got my first highmaul cache mission last night on my DK after weeks of playing this xpack. The only heroic gear I have is a cloak and a ring.

Guess what the cache gives me? The same damn cloak. Christ that's annoying.

Doesn't help that I'm stuck at 649 and it's been impossible for me to join up in raids the past few days, everyone wants to take 650+ into heroic despite the fact that I do 23k dps.
I am forever stuck at 645 with the same drop curse.

We can't 100% blame RNG though, there are several outs which we could pursue - apexis, professions, conquest points

Mordeccai

Welp, apexis requires me to do at least 15 days of 1k crystal dailies to get 655 gear, and I would rather stab a fork in my eye than grind out those dailies. And upgrading crafted gear costs a shit ton in savage blood and I am a poor peasant.

I know epics shouldn't be handed out like candy, but it gets frustrating because pugging stuff relies on climbing your ilvl at the same pace as the rest of the community.

Oh well. My healing druid is much luckier, have a heroic warforged cloak and heroic warforged belt, and bonus rolled the Tectus staff earlier this week. Its just sometimes I wanna bash stuff with a hammer and frost magics, ya know?

Also how the hell do I unholy. Even with some weak auras I found online I only pull 15k dps as unholy, but hit 23k single target and 30k multi target with frost.

Welp, apexis requires me to do at least 15 days of 1k crystal dailies to get 655 gear, and I would rather stab a fork in my eye than grind out those dailies. And upgrading crafted gear costs a shit ton in savage blood and I am a poor peasant.

I know epics shouldn't be handed out like candy, but it gets frustrating because pugging stuff relies on climbing your ilvl at the same pace as the rest of the community.

Oh well. My healing druid is much luckier, have a heroic warforged cloak and heroic warforged belt, and bonus rolled the Tectus staff earlier this week. Its just sometimes I wanna bash stuff with a hammer and frost magics, ya know?

Also how the hell do I unholy. Even with some weak auras I found online I only pull 15k dps as unholy, but hit 23k single target and 30k multi target with frost.

Compared to Blood and Frost, Unholy is really dependent on Haste because of your diseases, as well as having full uptime on your pet(Usually done by saving energy/procs for death coil). Gargoyle also takes your haste into account, and well...haste, my friend. lots of haste. Multistrike too!

As for gearing up, LFR is a really good alternative.

Robin64

Man, fuck Apexis gear. Way overpriced for what you get. Bought a cloak once because I was just going weeks without getting one, then immediately got one in a raid, a better one. Really soured me on those.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Man, fuck Apexis gear. Way overpriced for what you get. Bought a cloak once because I was just going weeks without getting one, then immediately got one in a raid, a better one. Really soured me on those.

Yeah, the apexis crystals are really only used for:
1. The Legendary Ring quest
2. Buying Seals of Tempered Fate

Draxal

I like how they got rid of Justice/Valor points because they thought it was stupid and then they reintroduced apexis crystals but just have them serve as valor/justice points but even more useless.

ZenaxPure

I upgraded an item fully because not raiding hardcore I knew I wouldn't replace that item right off the bat (and still haven't). Since then though I've been using my crystals to buy all the pets/mounts from reps, you need like over 30k to buy all of them so unless you're just out grinding mobs for them it takes a while to build that up.

ampere

I like how they got rid of Justice/Valor points because they thought it was stupid and then they reintroduced apexis crystals but just have them serve as valor/justice points but even more useless.

It is certainly a failure of the expac so far. My only uses for Apexis Crystals are reputation gated pets/mounts and the weekly tokens for bonus rolls. I do want the 100k Apexis Garrison monument though.

The thing with Valor was, you always needed Valor. Whether it was for gear at the start of the expac, or item upgrades as the expac progressed, every single player who wanted to advance their character needed to get as much Valor as possible. This probably helped dungeon queue times because tanks and healers would queue up for daily Valor, I know I tanked a lot of daily runs for it. But now what do you get for a random heroic? Some GR? lol. The Call to Arms satchels are nice for gearing alts, but I haven't queued for a heroic in weeks now.

I'm really bored.

I want to play my rogue for pvp, but I cba to do WoD leveling a 3rd time, I wish there were more bonus objectives so I could just level from those, especially in frostfire.

Compared to Blood and Frost, Unholy is really dependent on Haste because of your diseases, as well as having full uptime on your pet(Usually done by saving energy/procs for death coil). Gargoyle also takes your haste into account, and well...haste, my friend. lots of haste. Multistrike too!

As for gearing up, LFR is a really good alternative.

Hm? Haste is one of unholy's worst stats, actually I'm pretty sure it's our worst stat period, it's always simmed horribly for me at every gear level in wod. Multistrike and mastery are where it's at.

Haste is amazing for 2h frost though.

Glad sanctum gives enough honor to get all the seals of fate passively.

Apex are straight up useless.

ampere

Unholy is really dependent on Haste because of your diseases

Haste does 0 to DK diseases. DoTs from Rune/Energy/Focus/Rage classes do not tick more from Haste (unless otherwise specified, but I don't think there are exceptions). Haste just gives more of their resource.

Mana using DoT casters get more ticks from Haste.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
got the Glass of Warm Milk from the Barn.. I didn't have that feather that shoots you into the air so I had to figure something else out.. I had like 8-9 goblin gliders on me from blingtron quests over this xpac.. so tried first going to the tower with the warspear portal. I could make it to my barracks, and on further thought had I just spent the resources/cash I could have just swapped the buildings and probably done that.. of course my barn is filled with 21 deadly work orders.. so it would have been 3.5 days..

so anywho.. I climbed up on the rocks outside that hang over the mine.. pretty high.. jumped and used the glider which got me onto the roof of the barn. problem was I couldn't get on the top (spine) of the roof, and while I could get on the side ridge, that was past the platform that hangs out from the loft on the barn. So I figured to try jumping off from that, but using another glider to shoot me back to the ledge. WORKED!!!!

So now I have the pygmy cow. And more proof that Blizz was absolutely right to ban flying in Draenor. And I don't have ANYTHING against flying AT ALL. It was introduced in BC because it made sense. The design of Outland made flying not only necessary, but in fact added to the exploration of the land. WOTLK and Pandaria included some cool flying things as well.. but WoD has convinced me in no way is flying everywhere in wow required or to be expected. It totally depends on how the world you are on was designed. Draenor is SO MUCH FUN and if they ever put flying in (maybe they will) it is going to reduce a lot of that. So many treasures, rares, and easter eggs that require you to really think about how to get them (or youtube it), where with flying it's braindead.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Modern? That's been the expectation since vanilla! The only difference now is we aren't struggling with abilities that don't cover the situations we're expected to handle.

Nor are you struggling with any sort of lack of foreknowledge given that every fight is well documented in a wiki, on youtube, on any number of theory-crafting sites, and even within the game itself as either part of the dungeon journal or addons like DBM. Hell, some of it is extraordinarily specific... I don't go so deep as to look for them, but I'd be surprised if there aren't madlib-type tools that let you plug in your spec and get prompts for exactly what to do. Maybe you've never actually gone through the fight yourself, but nothing's keeping you from pulling out an iPad and just tapping away from fight to fight to figure out what comes up next. Hell, the only excuse people really have now is "I just bought the game and used the boost on this druid, where's the bear button, and why do people keep asking me to join their cat clan?".

So now I have the pygmy cow. And more proof that Blizz was absolutely right to ban flying in Draenor. And I don't have ANYTHING against flying AT ALL. It was introduced in BC because it made sense. The design of Outland made flying not only necessary, but in fact added to the exploration of the land. WOTLK and Pandaria included some cool flying things as well.. but WoD has convinced me in no way is flying everywhere in wow required or to be expected. It totally depends on how the world you are on was designed. Draenor is SO MUCH FUN and if they ever put flying in (maybe they will) it is going to reduce a lot of that. So many treasures, rares, and easter eggs that require you to really think about how to get them (or youtube it), where with flying it's braindead.
I really only want flying for archeology. I refuse to do archeology on foot. Going up, down, and around cliffs for stupid dig sites is stupid. If I see a zone in a flat area (like, say, the Shadowmoon Burial Ground), I'll do that. But, otherwise, no way. I'm not even complaining about the trash mobs, just navigation.

borghe

I really only want flying for archeology. I refuse to do archeology on foot. Going up, down, and around cliffs for stupid dig sites is stupid. If I see a zone in a flat area (like, say, the Shadowmoon Burial Ground), I'll do that. But, otherwise, no way. I'm not even complaining about the trash mobs, just navigation.

I'll actually give you this. getting around the continent in general, the special platforming places, etc. though technically they have control over archaeology without flying as they control where the spawn point for the artifacts are.. but I haven't even attempted it yet so I don't know.

DrBo42

Okay, need some advice WoW GAF. Can boost a character, should I boost a Warlock, Rogue, or Hunter? None of which I've really played. Currently maining a druid (I'm more of a healer at heart) but I do enjoy the stealth element of feral. Not sure I'd be super into having pets but I'm open to the idea.

Edit: My friends are super into PVP so it would be for that purpose mostly.

I'm really bored.
Hm? Haste is one of unholy's worst stats, actually I'm pretty sure it's our worst stat period, it's always simmed horribly for me at every gear level in wod. Multistrike and mastery are where it's at.

Haste is amazing for 2h frost though.

Haste does 0 to DK diseases. DoTs from Rune/Energy/Focus/Rage classes do not tick more from Haste (unless otherwise specified, but I don't think there are exceptions). Haste just gives more of their resource.

Mana using DoT casters get more ticks from Haste.

Really? Now I wonder the fuck kinda guide I was reading, then. Sorry for the bad info.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you didn't hate yourself you'd refuse to do archeology altogether.

Blizzard: "Oh, so you think FISHING is tedious?"

Master trolls.

Okay, need some advice WoW GAF. Can boost a character, should I boost a Warlock, Rogue, or Hunter? None of which I've really played. Currently maining a druid (I'm more of a healer at heart) but I do enjoy the stealth element of feral. Not sure I'd be super into having pets but I'm open to the idea.

Edit: My friends are super into PVP so it would be for that purpose mostly.

I don't know enough about PVP to have a worthwhile opinion on that front, but I do remember seeing some Lock complaining about not being good in PvP at the moment. Hunters do seem to be pretty strong, and have a level 100 talent that allows you to go petless so if you end up not liking pets, it is an option. A very viable one at that, as it boosts your damage by like 30%.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Blizzard: "Oh, so you think FISHING is tedious?"

Master trolls.

At least archaeology has companion, toy and mount rewards.

You could say that fishing has mount rewards too, like that Nat Pagle thing in WoD...that ask you to fish hundreds of fishes... =/

DrBo42

I don't know enough about PVP to have a worthwhile opinion on that front, but I do remember seeing some Lock complaining about not being good in PvP at the moment. Hunters do seem to be pretty strong, and have a level 100 talent that allows you to go petless so if you end up not liking pets, it is an option. A very viable one at that, as it boosts your damage by like 30%.

Appreciated regardless.

So I log onto my 90 paladin to collect the 500 garrison resources and I get the 150 mount achievement?

I mean wtf?

Not to mention I have 193 mounts, so why do I get the 150 one now? lol w/e.

Affliction and survival are both super good in PVP.

But you're majorly gimping yourself by playing w/o a pet, soul link is really good and makes locks fairly really tanky in PVP, and pet brings Mortal strike debuff, spirit bond and most importantly roar of sacrifice and pet freedom.

Rogues are strong as well, both combat and sub.

Affliction and survival are both super good in PVP.

But you're majorly gimping your arena team by playing w/o a pet brings Mortal strike debuff, spirit bond and most importantly roar of sacrifice and pet freedom. As for rbgs as a hunter 90% of the time you'll be solo base defending so you need pet so you don't get CC capped on.

If you're not base assigned to base defending though, lone wolf is great in rbgs especially, damage is p insane. I wouldn't take it in random bgs though were you're more reliant on yourself than teammates especially when you're not queueing with a friendly healer, spirit bond is too convenient.

Rogues are strong as well, both combat and sub.

If you like healing though just stick to your resto druid, they're insanely strong and the best PVP spec in the game in general.

borghe

At least archaeology has companion, toy and mount rewards.

You could say that fishing has mount rewards too, like that Nat Pagle thing in WoD...that ask you to fish hundreds of fishes... =/

it's not "that" bad. if you already have 700 fishing it's ~30 minutes with 2 worm supremes and weather beaten fishing hat each fish.

go to zone, equip +30 pole and hat, use worm supreme, use bait.. repeat as needed with one more worm supreme.. after the second one runs out I usually am close enough that losing the 125 skill points for the hat buff is fine and still gets me to 100 before the hat buff drops.

I was originally like "ugh.. whatever, it's not the end of the world" but I then realized with the +15 point skillups it then works to mail those fish as needed to alts for THEIR daily fishing. And if you are really lucky they'l get their 10 eggs off of 5 fish (but usually 10).

this is actually nice compared to previous xpacs fishing where each character had to level fishing independently and it was the same grind every time. Now only one character has to grind, and the mail can do the rest.

So I log onto my 90 paladin to collect the 500 garrison resources and I get the 150 mount achievement?

I mean wtf?

Not to mention I have 193 mounts, so why do I get the 150 one now? lol w/e.

I imagine the 193 you see is in the mount viewer which combines horde and alliance mounts. You need 150 on one character. Paladins have two (or three with Argent Tournament?) exclusive mounts so odds are whatever faction your paladin is had 148 or 149 mounts currently so hopping on the paladin bumped you right into 150 and triggered the achievements.

It's how I hit 200. As soon as I got 198 I logged over to an old Paladin I haven't played for years to get it to pop.

ampere

Agree. I maintain that flying is a fun ability, but it breaks exploration. There were some little huts around Pandaria that were neat to find, but it'd have been way more meaningful if you had to trek to them and they had a little treasure or secret. Flying to them was completely trivia.

And as long as no one has flying and the game is designed that way, it works out. I think Draenor flying should be added with 7.0 when the content is no longer relevant.

I really only want flying for archeology.

The real solution is to remove Archaeology. It's pretty bland, I only do it to compete with other guildies at achievement points ;p

ZenaxPure

it's not "that" bad. if you already have 700 fishing it's ~30 minutes with 2 worm supremes and weather beaten fishing hat each fish.

That's not even what he is talking about though lol. Those fishing achievements aren't the grind, they unlock the grind.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
The real solution is to remove Archaeology. It's pretty bland, I only do it to compete with other guildies at achievement points ;p
I really like the idea behind it, but yeah, if they're going to continue to half-ass it and not fix some of the really obvious flaws, I'd rather they retire it and let people keep their vanity mounts and toys but otherwise pretend it was never there.

Alternately, they could revamp it and allow you to get some really nice additions to things like your garrison or whatever sort of "housing" or other showcase they can come up with, because that's what it would have really been good for... a showcase, along with stuff like models of rare kills, physical representations of achievements, and the like, but vanity things like that take a lot of time away from building content and appeal to a limited subset of people who want to look at 3D representations rather than lists. I guess that kind of general low-return boondoggle is why they ended up killing Path of the Titans anyway.

Attempting to use LFR for the first time to do Molten Core. Is there a way to tell if it's actually working or a group is being assembled? All I see is 1/28 DPS and nothing else when I mouse over.

borghe

Attempting to use LFR for the first time to do Molten Core. Is there a way to tell if it's actually working or a group is being assembled? All I see is 1/28 DPS and nothing else when I mouse over.

this is normal. it is working. usually for me it never says "28/28" for example. it just says "1/20" and eventually pops where it shows everyone confirming.

ampere

Alternately, they could revamp it and allow you to get some really nice additions to things like your garrison or whatever sort of "housing" or other showcase they can come up with, because that's what it would have really been good for... a showcase, along with stuff like models of rare kills, physical representations of achievements, and the like, but vanity things like that take a lot of time away from building content and appeal to a limited subset of people who want to look at 3D representations rather than lists. I guess that kind of general low-return boondoggle is why they ended up killing Path of the Titans anyway.

Well it does sort of do this. Your pristine solves are on display in your garrison. They actually look pretty cool, just wish the gathering portion wasn't so dry.

Bisnic

Thank you. Been in the queue for an hour and a half.

Most people do Molten Core just once for the achievement and mount and never touch it again since bosses other than Ragnaros drop 0 loot... good luck, I assume there's not much people doing it currently.

borghe

Yeah between the frustration of doing it to begin with (a decent group you'll still take an hour. A bad group can be two), it being two months old, and middle of the day US, it might take a bit.

Sucks that I missed the enchant and pet, but no way in hell I could stand to do it again. Then again from what I understand I had the shit group to end all groups. Pretty certain one or more members pulled every boss early to wipe the raid.

ZenaxPure

Well it does sort of do this. Your pristine solves are on display in your garrison. They actually look pretty cool, just wish the gathering portion wasn't so dry.

There was the same thing in MoP as well. I enjoy the museum-y aspect of arch and I've always enjoyed the lore aspect of it (since each solve gives you a tiny backstory about the item), but, yeah the actual process of it has never been all that engaging. Actually kind of wish they would just change it to work like the artifact system in Rift, similar concepts but that system is more about just randomly spawned treasures hidden around under rocks and shit.

Did Imperator twice this week in LFR on 2 different toons. On my main we one-shot it. On my alt it took 5 wipes.

I'm thinking they might nerf some of Imperator's mechanics in LFR since most of the difficulty comes from people not properly positioning or prioritizing targets. I reckon the first things to go will be at least one of the Warmage adds each intermission, the knockback when the displaced aberration dies and at least one or two of the replicated fragments. Strange how faceroll everything else is in LFR and then suddenly the last boss has no removed mechanics lol.

Bisnic

Did Imperator twice this week in LFR on 2 different toons. On my main we one-shot it. On my alt it took 5 wipes.

I'm thinking they might nerf some of Imperator's mechanics in LFR since most of the difficulty comes from people not properly positioning or prioritizing targets. I reckon the first things to go will be at least one of the Warmage adds each intermission, the knockback when the displaced aberration dies and at least one or two of the replicated fragments. Strange how faceroll everything else is in LFR and then suddenly the last boss has no removed mechanics lol.

I didn't find the boss that hard when i healed it on my paladin and dpsed it ony mage this week. One wipe maybe, but that's it. It's a long boss fight sure, so wiping sucks, but it's not that bad. This boss doesn't deserve a nerf i think.

TomServo

I didn't find the boss that hard when i healed it on my paladin and dpsed it ony mage this week. One wipe maybe, but that's it. It's a long boss fight sure, so wiping sucks, but it's not that bad. This boss doesn't deserve a nerf i think.

One of those that you just have to beat "ADDS > BOSS" into the heads of the DPS.

I didn't think LFR Garalon was difficult either.

Maybe the playerbase will get better. Problem is that one bad tank can wipe the raid, especially in the P4 intermission when they're getting trucked by a poorly positioned reaver or by failing to pick up the remnants, or by not getting away from people during replicated touch of chaos (you can literally heal through bad chaos in every other phase).

phinious

Haven't played wow in like 6 years, but my sister asked me to play with her. Are Druids still good at tanking, dps casting, healing, and catform dps?

Also are Druid still good in pvp?

M.D

Been trying to sell some item I got yesterday.. some dude offered me 10k but I thought it was worth more looking at the AH, but couldn't sell it for 9 all day (I keep crashing the ah market hoho)

Think I'm gonna level my DK sometime this weekend, he's at 67 now. Wonder how long it will take to get him to 100..

If I do level him up and like tanking then managing 2 charactets and another gasrison is gonnna suck

Top Bottom