• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

VinFTW

Someone once told me: "You never quit WoW, you just take long breaks".

Welp, I just proved that right.

Resubbed for 6mos, but I sold my account last time, so I'm starting fresh with a 90 prot warrior/boomkin.

Gonna raid progression again after the semester.

So excited.

Tyreny

OP is waxing nostalgic about vanilla Desolace questing. Vanilla Desolace questing.

Yeah sure was fun grinding your way through that zone to be rewarded with a quest in Scarlet Monastery!

And for every point he makes someone could come along about Everquest and take it up another 10 notches. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

iirate

I suspect that if Blizzard had decided to keep Highmaul current for another 3 weeks and not launched BRF until 6.1 hit, then this patch would be received extremely well. There seems to be such a focus on a lack of content, when we just got a large raid less than a month ago.

Instead, Blizzard did something mostly positive and pro-player(release their next tier early, independently from their next patch) and it feels like they're getting backlash for it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It may be semantics, but Blackrock foundry did not release "early." It was always planned and explained as part of the launch raid tier. If it came out with 6.1, it would have been late.

I don't remember the period immediately after Mists launch, but I don't think Heart of Fear/Terrace was held for the first major patch, which would have been the same thing.

Robin64

But the fact remains that BRF was finished for launch and sat there unused, so the development of 6.1 was nice and clear with that behind them.

And, again, not everyone raids.

iirate

It may be semantics, but Blackrock foundry did not release "early." It was always planned and explained as part of the launch raid tier. If it came out with 6.1, it would have been late.

I don't remember the period immediately after Mists launch, but I don't think Heart of Fear/Terrace was held for the first major patch, which would have been the same thing.

You are right that it technically wasn't early, but I didn't hear too much sentiment that Highmaul was dragging on, and I think history has shown that Blizzard would do better with a slower, more even, launch cycle for the first part of the expansion cycle. My guild needs more time in HM, and I've heard similar things more often than the opposite.

My main point is that I believe that waiting to release BRF with 6.1 would have been a net positive for Blizzard's image in the eyes of its player base.

But the fact remains that BRF was finished for launch and sat there unused, so the development of 6.1 was nice and clear with that behind them.

And, again, not everyone raids.

Yes, BRF was done when they started 6.1. Blizzard did the right thing from a player's perspective by giving it to us prior to the patch, but I think that delaying it less than a month to coincide with the patch would have been a net positive for the patch's reception. I just don't see Blizzard getting nearly as much backlash for quietly sitting on BRF as they are for the lack of content in 6.1.

Also, yes, the non-raiding population wouldn't have had much to be excited about, but LFR and new small dungeon content isn't that different these days. That isn't an excuse to neglect 5 mans entirely(and honestly, I think their handling of 5 man content this expansion has been absolutely awful), but new small dungeon or quest content this soon after an expansion release wouldn't be normal anyways.

The housing in XIV is superb. My tiny guild spent ages saving to buy a plot. It's just a small one but we're so proud of it. The customisation blows Garrisons out of the water.
I'll be visiting it again soon... gold saucer is too tempting. ^_^

That and I really only log into WoW to check followers, raid, and maybe grind for my barn when it's low.

Ixian

SE also figured out that players want housing and put it in with the first major patch to A Realm Reborn and then listed to player feedback to hashout how it should work, while Blizzard is still insisting players don't want it and it's some sort of lofty goal no human dev team could ever attain.
I think Blizzard's argument was that they didn't want housing to just be its own silo, and that it should have some gameplay purpose, hence Garrisons. Not sure they hit the mark on that one...

ZenaxPure

but new small dungeon or quest content this soon after an expansion release wouldn't be normal anyways.

Not in a post-MoP world. 5.1 launched only 2 months after MoP (instead of the 3 this patch has taken) with a new feature (brawler's guild) and probably the most praised questing hub blizz has ever made, so much so that they love comparing the shitty garrison campaign to it despite the fact there are almost no similarities between the 2. Not to mention some other smaller features/changes that are still more impactful than stuff like the jukebox or selfies.

Reality is that even if they would have lined up BRF to release alongside 6.1 perception of the patch would not be any different because of how MoP handled patches, most people assumed that would be the standard going forward, not regressing backwards.

iirate

Not in a post-MoP world. 5.1 launched only 2 months after MoP (instead of the 3 this patch has taken) with a new feature (brawler's guild) and probably the most praised questing hub blizz has ever made, so much so that they love comparing the shitty garrison campaign to it despite the fact there are almost no similarities between the 2. Not to mention some other smaller features/changes that are still more impactful than stuff like the jukebox or selfies.

Reality is that even if they would have lined up BRF to release alongside 6.1 perception of the patch would not be any different because of how MoP handled patches, most people assumed that would be the standard going forward, not regressing backwards.

That may be true. I didn't play much during MoP and was already on my way out as 5.1 launched, so I never saw the impact of that patch and its reception by the player base.

ZenaxPure

That may be true. I didn't play much during MoP and was already on my way out as 5.1 launched, so I never saw the impact of that patch and its reception by the player base.

The thing is though it doesn't really have to do with the quality of 5.1 as much as it has to do with the state of WoD as a whole, 5.1 just makes the problem more noticeable as it came out faster than 6.1 and was a bigger patch. The problem is with Warlords Blizzard gave a big middle finger to anyone who wasn't interested in hardcore raiding or hardcore pvp as they gutted basically every other feature in the game. People were holding out hope that 6.1 would alleviate a lot of these issues, but, that is clearly not the case.

Frankly I am not sure it is a perception they can break until the next expansion. Even if 6.2 somehow manages to be as content-rich as 5.2 was (and it will be a doozy to equal that patch) people are just going to complain how it took blizzard 7 or 8 months from launch to finally add something to the game.

TheYanger

EVE Online in the past year moved to a 6 week patch release cycle instead of bi-annual expansions. It's interesting to see such a swift development schedule in action. Some releases are larger and more akin to a substantive WoW raid patch, while others are smaller in scope like 6.1.

Doubt it's something you'd ever see Blizzard able to deliver on though.

Vanilla patches were pretty frequent, they went up to like 1.13 or something prior to BC.

ZenaxPure

Someone let me know how that chauffeured chopper works for having the heirloom achievement tomorrow.

And if anyone else here has a dread pirate ring, I forget how that scales exactly with the new system.

Can answer this now, Dread pirate automatically bumps up to level 90 and the chopper is a mount that goes into the mount collection and counts towards the mount achievement but unlike other mounts it is stuck at base mount speed even if you have epic riding (so 60% + whatever other mount speed boosts you may have).

RPGCrazied

I get better framerates on PTR 6.1 than live 6.1. All the settings I'm using is the same on both.

Anyone else having this issue? What the hell?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Didn't even have to buy extra heirlooms for my mount. I do like the aesthetic idea of a 'chauffeured' mount even though it does seem fairly pointless.

Someone once told me: "You never quit WoW, you just take long breaks".

Welp, I just proved that right.

Resubbed for 6mos, but I sold my account last time, so I'm starting fresh with a 90 prot warrior/boomkin.

Gonna raid progression again after the semester.

So excited.

Welcome back dude!

=)

The raids are good, fun times raiding right now.

Mupod

so the blackrock foundry free loot crate missions are in now right? How many kills do we need in heroic for mythic crates? I'm probably fine but I'd rather be sure.

Peachpies

so the blackrock foundry free loot crate missions are in now right? How many kills do we need in heroic for mythic crates? I'm probably fine but I'd rather be sure.
I got a mythic cache mission but some people are saying the requirement seems to be 8 kills in mythic highmaul

ampere

Yeah I got my Mythic BRF cache today and I've heard the Highmaul Mythic thing too.

For reference I have 22 Mythic Highmaul kills and 27 Heroic BRF kills

Has anyone seen a profession garrison visitor besides the fur trader for tailoring? He's the only one I've managed to find so far. I want my stage fours!

RPGCrazied

Here is some pictures. I really am stumped.

Wo_WScrn_Shot_022415_141308.jpg

Wo_WScrn_Shot_022415_141641.jpg

RPGCrazied

what kind of framerate do you get with vertical sync turned off? Also if you are having framerate problems turning down anti-aliasing and view distance can help a lot

That's the thing though. My settings are the same on the PTR as they are on live. My fps seems halved now for some reason. I don't get how I get 30 on ptr, and in the same spot I get 15 on live, both have vsync.

Peachpies

That's the thing though. My settings are the same on the PTR as they are on live. My fps seems halved now for some reason. I don't get how I get 30 on ptr, and in the same spot I get 15 on live, both have vsync.
make sure you update all your addons, also check if you are getting LUA errors, you can enable display of lua errors by going to interface options, help tab, and then checking display lua errors, if an addon is creating a lot of errors you should disable it until it is updated.

vocab

MSAA X 8 in an mmo in an engine thats all cpu bound. It's not helping your cause.

RPGCrazied

make sure you update all your addons, also check if you are getting LUA errors, you can enable display of lua errors by going to interface options, help tab, and then checking display lua errors, if an addon is creating a lot of errors you should disable it until it is updated.

Nope, still get 15 with no addons. How do I check for LUA errors?

MSAA X 8 in an mmo in an engine thats all cpu bound. It's not helping your cause.

Still doesn't answer why I get 30 on PTR with 8x and not on live.

ZenaxPure

Maraudon was fucking huge though. It's worth 3(?) wings of current dungeon design.

True, but, pretty much every boss was a straight tank and spank. I have no idea how much dev time actually goes into crafting modern day 5 man bosses but I imagine more than the bosses of Mara took.

I kinda wonder how people would react to a modern dungeon if the bosses had no mechanics. I don't mean ignore-able mechanics either (which is what every dungeon devolves into as ilvl rises) I mean straight up a bunch of bosses that are just tank and spank.

M.D

trying to move glorious legplates on trade chat .. ugh ;s

chat responses making "jokes" offering 10g
people saying its not worth anything
people who whisper me saying its not worth anything, like what the fuck do you even care
one person who whispered me saying how its not worth anything even tho he knows what it is then putting me on his ignore list
people who actually want to buy it but don't have nearly enough gold (or claim they don't)

So apparently the NPCs that sell the new profession recipes are a random daily spawn? This guide by Elvine says it's basically a 1:25 chance to get a specific profession NPC since they also share spawns with the random visitors who give dailies and dungeon quests ect.

And now reports are that anyone lucky enough to have had a profession NPC spawn today only have the tailoring one. According to quite a few on MMO-Champ the fur trader is the only one who has spawned today...

Both my 90s with level 3 town halls have a quest giver...

...? Who the fuck thought THIS was a good idea? I fully expect this to cause some backlash and for them to make the new recipes available through the regular trainers. It's so randomly stupid. This is almost as bad as putting the honor vendors inside an instanced area you had to queue for.

Vanilla patches were pretty frequent, they went up to like 1.13 or something prior to BC.

Team was a lot different, with different expectations, especially since it was before an established expansion model. EVE has also never charged for expansions/patches, but that sort of makes sense as a sandbox game and they have the PLEX system to fall back on as additional revenue besides regular subscription fees (including the fact players average something like 2+ accounts per person).

I'm still really curious about WoW's version of the same system that has been announced/hinted at coming sometime this year. Definitely interested in paying for game time with gold that way, though it might not be completely sustainable if the price ends up being too high, given what they did to professions this expansion. Even sitting over gold cap I'd probably be losing money mighty quick if it was 40k+ a month. 25k-30k would be bearable, and cheaper than that would be pretty lulz. But I'd have to wonder if there would be significant inflation in general from such a large economic shift. I feel like a lot of (gold) poorer players might be interested in buying gold with it being legal, which would likely drive up prices on everything of value, beyond the traditional expansion to expansion inflation. Especially with large-scale gold-making being more difficult with gutted professions and very limited farming spots compared to the past.

JSoup

Banned
The housing in XIV is superb. My tiny guild spent ages saving to buy a plot. It's just a small one but we're so proud of it. The customisation blows Garrisons out of the water.

Right?!
I wasn't going to bother with it until I realized it was awesome and that money is piss easy to come by in that game.

Same with Rift, as ZenaxPure said.

ZenaxPure

...? Who the fuck thought THIS was a good idea? I fully expect this to cause some backlash and for them to make the new recipes available through the regular trainers. It's so randomly stupid. This is almost as bad as putting the honor vendors inside an instanced area you had to queue for.

I get that they want people to visit each others garrisons or whatever to pick up quests each day but having the profession person take that slot is really dumb. It's like my main complaint of this expansion turned up to 11, I am literally sitting in my garrison looking for someone with the LW/alch vendor so I can go to their garrison, and then back out to my garrison to craft stuff. For the record though I have seen people say they have the Ore vendor in the LFG tool so I don't think it is just the fur trader (though the fur trader seems to be the most common).

Right?!
I wasn't going to bother with it until I realized it was awesome and that money is piss easy to come by in that game.

Same with Rift, as ZenaxPure said.

I never messed with housing in FF14 but Rift totally made me a believer. I spent like over an hour putting a tree on top of another tree in a game I liked but wasn't committed to, who knows what kind of dark hole I would fall into if that kind of tech was in a game I truly loved. I don't know how FF14 handles it but Rift gives you crazy freedom with the housing, you can resize and turn everything putting items wherever you want in the environment. It's really impressive stuff.

JSoup

Banned
I completely forgot they added new raid pets. Wasn't in any of the summaries, either.

I never messed with housing in FF14 but Rift totally made me a believer. I spent like over an hour putting a tree on top of another tree in a game I liked but wasn't committed to, who knows what kind of dark hole I would fall into if that kind of tech was in a game I truly loved. I don't know how FF14 handles it but Rift gives you crazy freedom with the housing, you can resize and turn everything putting items wherever you want in the environment. It's really impressive stuff.

Rift has more freedom than FF14 in that you can resize just about any item and that the really neat items are actually cool things, not just FF references.
I need to give Rift another play, especially now that it's free-to-play via Steam. Last time I tried, I'd gotten a week free from Raptr and my computer was having issues with the sound.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
I get that they want people to visit each others garrisons or whatever to pick up quests each day but having the profession person take that slot is really dumb. It's like my main complaint of this expansion turned up to 11, I am literally sitting in my garrison looking for someone with the LW/alch vendor so I can go to their garrison, and then back out to my garrison to craft stuff. For the record though I have seen people say they have the Ore vendor in the LFG tool so I don't think it is just the fur trader (though the fur trader seems to be the most common).

Here's a blue post on this...just a brilliant idea by Blizz..

Bashiok said:

Here's a blue post on this...just a brilliant idea by Blizz..

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16411691856?page=3#50

I mean, anybody who thinks about this for more than 5 seconds has to know that this boils down to literally sifting through a bunch of people's garrisons, phasing in for 5 seconds to grab a quest or a recipe, and then phasing out.

I'm not "visiting" shit. I'm literally just jumping through an artificial hoop which requires me to vaguely interact with another person.

Maybe if blizzard wants me to visit another persons garrison ,they should make so there is something to care about that can actually be customized. Right now the customization boils down to literally which of the large plots you put your barn on. How compelling...

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I mean, anybody who thinks about this for more than 5 seconds has to know that this boils down to literally sifting through a bunch of people's garrisons, phasing in for 5 seconds to grab a quest or a recipe, and then phasing out.
[Trade] GungHo - Invitations to Garrison for that Vendor You Want, 10g.

Robin64

Don't forget to visit Arsenio Zerep (Alliance) or Kraank (Horde) in your Garrison to buy recipes for the new 125 stat food. At least those guys don't just randomly spawn...

ZenaxPure

I'm not "visiting" shit. I'm literally just jumping through an artificial hoop which requires me to vaguely interact with another person.

Even though it is just a unneccesary hoop to jump through I don't mind the idea of a quest giver that has a random quest (though this idea is about 3 fucking months late for the quests you are getting) but tying professions to it I am finding it more frustrating than I expected it to be.

Robin64

The quests are indeed a bit too late. The ilvl of the rewards just backs this up in my opinion. A chance of a 645 or a 655 item (or 630 with the dungeon one) doesn't seem especially enticing.

Negator

Guys, if you think you fulfill the Mythic cache requirements, relog and check the mission again. Mine started at Mythic, and went to Heroic, then back to Mythic after I relogged.

cdyhybrid

Neat, the potions you get from the follower daily at the Alchemy garrison building don't stack with the ones you craft, because the quest ones are BOP. So now I have two stacks of INT pots even though they're the exact same item.

Fucking Blizzard.

Top Bottom