• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

ampere

I thought the most ambitious crazy expac release cycle they were going for was an 18 month cycle. Still not going to happen, but less ridiculous.

I just don't want 2 raid tier expacs or quick expacs... it means the leveling up is happening too often. 3 tier expacs with proper tier spacing and mid-tier patches are what we need. That works with a 2 year cycle. The MoP raids would have been able to almost work with the length of the expac if they were spaced better.

ZenaxPure

WoD is the most alt friendly expansion because there ain't shit to do outside of raiding on my main.

lol

I actually have 6 level 100s now. Honestly this is the first expansion I have had this many max level characters so early on. I've just decided I want to do the brawler's guild on all of them. It's still my favorite bit of content ever added to the game and despite how disappointing it is in WoD I figured it might be fun to try and clear it on specs I have very little experience with. Working on my warrior right now since it is probably the class I have the least amount of play time on in my history playing the game.

I figure that will occupy my playtime for the next few months and it will be kinda fun even though I know all the fights by heart and half the ranks are balanced around having green gear.

Tacitus_

It was just hard for another reason, a reason I would argue barely involved actual skill on the fights themselves. Most people have well forgotten at this point (like trying to link that world first kill list above me to prove the point) but launch TBC raids were a mess. You had shit like Nightbane where you literally couldn't bring melee characters and the fact that for hybrids green gear was often better than epics. Like seriously, feral gear had every stat and +healing on it. No one was using that garbage.

360 degree cleaves, yo.

It was just hard for another reason, a reason I would argue barely involved actual skill on the fights themselves. Most people have well forgotten at this point (like trying to link that world first kill list above me to prove the point) but launch TBC raids were a mess. You had shit like Nightbane where you literally couldn't bring melee characters and the fact that for hybrids green gear was often better than epics. Like seriously, feral gear had every stat and +healing on it. No one was using that garbage.

BRF is hard because of execution, not because blizzard made a poorly balanced and broken game.

Oh yeah TBC's insane itemization problems contributed big time to the grief felt by the pve community at the time. It's telling that the upgrade path for tanks at launch was Thunderfury > Mallet of the Tides.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What are most dps warriors playing now?
I think Fury is more versatile as a general spec. Arms can be extremely useful to have for certain fights though, so it's kind of a situation where you want to swap between the two if you can. Gladiator is already in the garbage can.

CassSept

I'd say they can either announce new expansion at a separate event (a'la Diablo 3/Starcraft 2), at GDC, or at BlizzCon with beta launching within a month to make it by the end of H1 2016... but that was the same thing I believed about Warlords of Draenor and we ended up with MoP being the longest expansion of the game (only barely shorter than vanilla).

Oh yeah TBC's insane itemization problems contributed big time to the grief felt by the pve community at the time. It's telling that the upgrade path for tanks at launch was Thunderfury > Mallet of the Tides.

The first sword for rogues that was better than Arena weapons was Blade of Savagery, from Mother Shahraz. Up until 3rd-to-last boss of the 3rd tier of the expansion every single weapon was inferior to pvp equivalent.

I still love you TBC.

Wow at Blizzcon in November, that means, again we will be waiting like a year or more for the next expansion. Could have sworn they said they weren't going to do these long waits anymore inbetween expansions.

They have said this literally every single expac now, since Wrath. It's beyond time to stop believing them when it comes to what they have to say about release schedules for the game. WoD was more than enough proof for them, to show that they can have literally no content for over a year and still come back strong with an expac launch. Why care about telling the truth to your customers when sub numbers have always bounced back with the release of an expac?

M.D

I've been thinking what alt to level up now that I switched over to a hunter as my main and will no longer raid with my druid

I have a Blood DK at 71 and 23 Warlock, both which I really enjoy playing
Tanking is been something I've been wanting to try out for a while now, even if its just pugging an alt, but I don't know if I have what it takes to be a good tank

Also, playing hunter made me realize just how much I like being mobile with my character
I wonder if playing a monk would be a good choice
How are they doing at tanking and dps?

Renekton

The SSC bosses were, as noted above, broken as fuck at launch. You can see how everything but the final boss was killed on the same week, most likely after they fixed them.
But we're still seeing 2-4 resets between each TK boss. Also, "broken as fuck" means showstopper technical bugs or just too difficult?

Once they actually balanced everything after the first couple of months none of the TBC raids were crushingly difficult until Kael/Vash'j.
It's a pretty subjective observation ("oh Leotheras was piss easy I personally had no problems with the fight"). If we math up the actual clear rate / time of progression guilds on SSC/TK versus Mythic BRF, it might paint a different picture.

But we're still seeing 2-4 resets between each TK boss. Also, "broken as fuck" means showstopper technical bugs or just too difficult?

Vashj used to mind control tanks and was considered unkillable. The 'world first' involved a bug where wiping during her invulnerable phase left her vulnerable at 1hp for a few seconds, so a shadow priest used a soulstone to SW:D her and boom, world first. Except the boss respawned right on top of the corpse.

Kael famously would fly out of the room during the final phase transition, never to return.

TBC bosses were broken as fuck and even after the clusterfuck of T5 bosses they still weren't done with the buggy shit in Hyjal/BT.

ZenaxPure

TBC bosses were broken as fuck and even after the clusterfuck of T5 bosses they still weren't done with the buggy shit in Hyjal/BT.

And of course the horrible itemization problem previously mentioned. Raid gear at level 70 wasn't really fixed until 2.1, which was literally months after the expansion launched. I switched to a shaman in TBC as my guild needed some and I basically had useless enhancement tier gear sitting in my inventory that whole time. Basically point is, the raids were just not balanced well from a numbers perspective. How the game works is that you get gear to tackle harder hitting/higher HP mobs. Launch TBC raids were not designed around that idea, instead they were designed by a monkey pushing random buttons on a keyboard.

Also another thing to take into consideration (and why comparing the clear speeds is stupid) is that trash mobs were still a very annoying thing in TBC. If you went into tempest keep for the first time as a progressing guild and wanted to start with Void Reaver (which was a good idea since he basically had no mechanics and was a free kill) you were looking at a good hour of your raid just clearing trash to him.

Renekton

Vashj used to mind control tanks and was considered unkillable. The 'world first' involved a bug where wiping during her invulnerable phase left her vulnerable at 1hp for a few seconds, so a shadow priest used a soulstone to SW:D her and boom, world first. Except the boss respawned right on top of the corpse.

Kael famously would fly out of the room during the final phase transition, never to return.
Okay I understand. Still, those are the final bosses. He was saying the SSC/TK bosses before that were piss easy. Trash can't be the sole reason for weeks of lag?

The only reason I'm asking this is I was declared inadequate for Sunwell Plateau, quite the ego crash after the highs of BT/MH, thus taking solace in the popular conception that TBC PVE content was among the hardest in history.

ZenaxPure

Okay I understand. Still, those are the final bosses. He was saying the SSC/TK bosses before that were piss easy. Trash can't be the sole reason for weeks of lag?

Actually if you bother to read what was actually written I said that SSC/TK was incredibly easy after they fixed them from the broken state they launched in.

Your question was already answered, "weeks of lag" comes from the fact that TBC raiding launched with 2 tiers that were basically unfinished.

Renekton

Actually if you bother to read what was actually written I said that SSC/TK was incredibly easy after they fixed them from the broken state they launched in.

Your question was already answered, "weeks of lag" comes from the fact that TBC raiding launched with 2 tiers that were basically unfinished.
Don't mind me but did I miss a post...? From the above reply, the broken state was attributed to final bosses bugs Vashj and Kael, which does not explain the earlier bosses.

Even then, the difficulty is probably better gauged by average progression guild clear rate on SSC/TK rather than "(I felt) they were incredibly easy after patch"? I'm not sure.

ZenaxPure

Don't mind me but did I miss a post...? From the above reply, the broken state was attributed to final bosses bugs Vashj and Kael, which does not explain the earlier bosses.

Nah and that's the point, those were just 2 examples he picked. Almost all the bosses at TBC launch were messed up in one way or another and saw pretty dramatic changes in one way or another in the first couple of months. He didn't list all of the dumb stuff and changes because it would have been paragraphs of text for no real purpose, he was essentially just giving you a base idea of how dumb it was.

This is stacked on top of the other problems listed and we didn't even get to them all. For example no one bothered mentioning attunements which for a time caused guilds problems in T5 content when they had potential recruits that weren't even attuned for T4 content. Just another problem in the pile of TBC launch problems.

Trickster

Anyone in a guild that have killed Mythic Beastlord Darmac?

I'm just wondering whether people are tanking the beastpack adds seperately from, or at Darmac in the last phase.

My guild is tanking them seperately which I don't see the point of. Wondering if I'm wrong or they are

Is the Super Simian Sphere still a neat rare item or do most people have it now? I think I got it while clearing ICC this week. I was going through selling everything and sold it but my brain caught it about three clicks later when I realized it didn't seem like text from a piece of gear and bought it back.

It was a nice surprise I guess. Would have preferred a mount to drop.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Don't forget, they had to nerf Thunderfury's proc to force that upgrade. If they hadn't nerfed it people would have been using it into Sunwell.

Also, it wasn't only itemization and boss mechanics that sucked. Most abilities didn't do what you needed them to do to get through content. Shattered Halls as an example, there were people who wouldn't bring anyone but a pally tank due to the aoe tanking required.

Peachpies

I'm just wondering whether people are tanking the beastpack adds seperately from, or at Darmac in the last phase.

My guild is tanking them seperately which I don't see the point of. Wondering if I'm wrong or they are
we try and tank them near the boss but people are generally doing so much damage to them some people tend to get agro on them

Robin64

Internet cafe in Australia already has the next expansion.

untitled-1m5uo6.png

People making signs should really try not pick a random fan-made logo from Google Images

Willectro

Banned
I'm going to try to get tickets for my brother and myself this year. Time to end the 7-year BlizzCon drought.

Booked a room at the Hilton. Now to get tickets. Eventbrite was ... interesting last year. Friend and I were both frantically refreshing, and finally 2 tickets popped up. Interested to see who will play the closing ceremony as it will be pretty tough to top Metallica.

Tacitus_

Even then, the difficulty is probably better gauged by average progression guild clear rate on SSC/TK rather than "(I felt) they were incredibly easy after patch"? I'm not sure.

Patch 2.0.10 had a single line of "SSC bosses received some additional tuning and polish" and then everything but Vashj dropped dead within a week.

ampere

Your guild is choosing an odd way to do it. Have Hunters save Barrage and Barrage/MD to the tanks. Cleave them down fast, but tanking them separate is awful.

Watch videos. Always watch videos and you can see if the thing you are doing is anomalous

Is the Super Simian Sphere still a neat rare item or do most people have it now? I think I got it while clearing ICC this week. I was going through selling everything and sold it but my brain caught it about three clicks later when I realized it didn't seem like text from a piece of gear and bought it back.

It was a nice surprise I guess. Would have preferred a mount to drop.

It's very rare and BoP so you could not have sold it. I've seen 2 drop over the years, but have not won the roll.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm glad BlizzCon got announced finally. I'll probably try and get a ticket. I usually feel indifferent to going until tickets go on sale. Then I wonder "Do I really want to go?"....but then I get pretty hyped for it when it's time to go.

Not sure what they'll be announcing as far as WoW goes. I'm not sure when we'd get 6.2. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get it until July or so. I'd say it's reasonable that they'd have the next expansion announcement ready to go and that they'd be entering beta shortly thereafter. Though that would mean a long ass time with 6.2. :\

Acidote

With Darmac of course. They better do, I get angry if they don't. I need every nova to touch him. I don't care about being up there in the Skada meters, but I care doing as much damage as I can to the boss, and that partially depends on other mobs being around him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've also had a dupe simian sphere drop which made me question why it's wasn't made boe with the toy box. Got both from the Valkyr before Sindragosa.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
When exactly does the Invincible music that you get from the Lich King for Garrison music roll plays? I don't remember ever hearing it anywhere else in the game. Such a cool music.

M.D

I've been thinking what alt to level up now that I switched over to a hunter as my main and will no longer raid with my druid

I have a Blood DK at 71 and 23 Warlock, both which I really enjoy playing
Tanking is been something I've been wanting to try out for a while now, even if its just pugging an alt, but I don't know if I have what it takes to be a good tank

Also, playing hunter made me realize just how much I like being mobile with my character
I wonder if playing a monk would be a good choice
How are they doing at tanking and dps?

Anyone?
Also, what would be a better spec for questing? DPS or tanking?

Robin64

When exactly does the Invincible music that you get from the Lich King for Garrison music roll plays? I don't remember ever hearing it anywhere else in the game. Such a cool music.

It is beautiful music and it's the one I have set to my Garrison most of the time. Just so lovely...

But I also don't know when exactly it plays. It's familiar, but I dunno.

A wowheader says "The song played when you beat the Lich King is called No King Rules Forever but it does have a section from Invincible in it."

mclem

Nah and that's the point, those were just 2 examples he picked. Almost all the bosses at TBC launch were messed up in one way or another and saw pretty dramatic changes in one way or another in the first couple of months. He didn't list all of the dumb stuff and changes because it would have been paragraphs of text for no real purpose, he was essentially just giving you a base idea of how dumb it was.

IIRC, wasn't the Astromancer Solarian fight completely rebuilt from scratch into a totally different one?

I must admit, I'm kind of curious about Hyjal. On paper it was supposedly available from TBC launch, attunement aside. In reality, though, I'm rather curious how functional the instance actually was at that time.

Booked a room at the Hilton. Now to get tickets. Eventbrite was ... interesting last year. Friend and I were both frantically refreshing, and finally 2 tickets popped up. Interested to see who will play the closing ceremony as it will be pretty tough to top Metallica.
Yeah my brother wants to get a room but we don't live that far from the convention center. I'm not even sure how bad parking was in the recent years.

Also in case the closing entertainment turns out to be a dud, do they still have the PCs turned on or do they shut them down? I can't remember if they still had them on back at BlizzCon 2005 and 2007. I might just watch some StarCraft if they won't let me into the stations.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Yeah my brother wants to get a room but we don't live that far from the convention center. I'm not even sure how bad parking was in the recent years.

Also in case the closing entertainment turns out to be a dud, do they still have the PCs turned on or do they shut them down? I can't remember if they still had them on back at BlizzCon 2005 and 2007. I might just watch some StarCraft if they won't let me into the stations.

They have the PCs going until they shut down completely at 10.

Top Bottom