• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Before WoD came out, I thought about how it would be cool if druids that went to Draenor tried shapeshifting, but ended up in the forms of Draenor creatures just because of where they are.

Similarly, Shaman stuff should bring Draenor elementals.

I would never go bear on my Druid if it turned me into a Clefthoof.

So, I got my Mistweaver to 100 last week and was totally sold on the Ascension talent, because 10% spirit is too good to pass up right?

I switched to Chi Brew, and holy shit.

Holy shit. Hooooooooooolly shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Chi+Tea for dayz.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Whelp, guild is calling it a day.

A mage quit a month ago.
A Shadow Priest quit
Our DK was going to quit.
I was going to take a break.

We couldn't kill H Blackhand tonight again

So our GM just decided that we were done.

Worgen werecat form blew my mind...

So you're a half werecat half werewolf?

j2hmm9w.jpg

Laekon

Looking at maybe picking WoW up again and wondering what class would be best for solo and PUG play? I'd like to play a Warlock but think a druid or shaman might be easier to see all the new group content. I was a priest before so would prefer to stay away from that unless it's changed a lot. I can't get my old account back so I'll be starting from scratch. I played from beta(lvl 20-30 cap) through Wrath so is there any way to skip the older 20-60 content?

ZenaxPure

I played from beta(lvl 20-30 cap) through Wrath so is there any way to skip the older 20-60 content?

Technically that content doesn't exist anymore since Cata redid every zone save a couple (looking at you silithus). But regardless, I think you still get a free level 90 character boost when you buy Warlords, if not $50!

Laekon

Technically that content doesn't exist anymore since Cata redid every zone save a couple (looking at you silithus). But regardless, I think you still get a free level 90 character boost when you buy Warlords, if not $50!

Well I'd like to play through the content I've missed. While I don't think I hit all the Wrath content I would at least like to start with the Cataclysm. Is the redone areas worth while? Can you auto level part of the way?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well I'd like to play through the content I've missed. While I don't think I hit all the Wrath content I would at least like to start with the Cataclysm. Is the redone areas worth while? Can you auto level part of the way?

The areas were redone in Cata, so you'd technically be doing Cata content. They're worth it and a lot faster than before, BC is a slog in comparison.

Lanrutcon

A mage quit a month ago.
A Shadow Priest quit

Yup. Our guild is also fragmenting. Everyone is sick of Highmaul, and Foundry isn't enough to keep people subbing.

Looking at maybe picking WoW up again and wondering what class would be best for solo and PUG play? I'd like to play a Warlock but think a druid or shaman might be easier to see all the new group content. I was a priest before so would prefer to stay away from that unless it's changed a lot. I can't get my old account back so I'll be starting from scratch. I played from beta(lvl 20-30 cap) through Wrath so is there any way to skip the older 20-60 content?
Pretty much all classes have changed dramatically since then, so you can't really go wrong with anything.

Joining in on the run (not guild since we have 2 separate runs) is falling apart party. We've been struggling lately (mainly because of an undergeared tank) and only had 12 people show up tonight. Downed heroic Kromog when we had a dps go tank instead and killed Iron Maidens after a few pulls and called it since Blast Furnance is way easier with more people. Cancelled the raid tomorrow since we don't expect more people to show up.

Warlock is one of the easier classes to level as. Destruction is one of the more fun specs (once you get Chaos Bolt) to level as too. If you mainly want to experience the lore at max levels then a pure dps class is fine since you can do LFR. Warlock is also one of the easier classes to solo old raids with.

ZenaxPure

The areas were redone in Cata, so you'd technically be doing Cata content. They're worth it and a lot faster than before, BC is a slog in comparison.

Yeah I guess it's so long I didn't even think of the speed aspect of it. Save my monk who I did in pieces over many months, the last time I leveled a character from 1-60 I did it in one (long) afternoon. Technically that was with heirlooms but even without you are only looking at a couple of days. The whole experience is very fast and smooth. The cata questing experience is very linear and is a straight shoot. Most zones only have 1 storyline that carries through the entire zone so it's less about collecting 10 boar asses and more about actually being a part of a story. Not playing Cata means you also missed out on how they changed quest turn-ins, in areas where it makes sense you no longer have to run to the quest giver to turn in a quest, a popup will just show up on screen. Basically it means there are no more areas where you do some quests, run back to turn in, and then run back to the same area for a follow up quest. Saves a lot of time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Yup. Our guild is also fragmenting. Everyone is sick of Highmaul, and Foundry isn't enough to keep people subbing.
What aspect of Blackrock Foundry is unappealing? As a raid instance I'm personally pretty into it, and most of the opinion surrounding it that I've heard is pretty positive. At the same time my guild is struggling to get a roster of at least twenty for raiding right now. We've been hovering around 17 for a decent while now but filling out the last few spots, even with DPS has been difficult. Lots of recruits swinging in that just don't show up or are incapable of preforming at even the most basic level.

Renekton

What aspect of Blackrock Foundry is unappealing? As a raid instance I'm personally pretty into it, and most of the opinion surrounding it that I've heard is pretty positive. At the same time my guild is struggling to get a roster of at least twenty for raiding right now. We've been hovering around 17 for a decent while now but filling out the last few spots, even with DPS has been difficult. Lots of recruits swinging in that just don't show up or are incapable of preforming at even the most basic level.
According to this guy, people think BRF is too hard.

Also the item level gating is brickwalling potential raiders. Heroic BRF mechanics are obviously not challenging to most of us in GAF, but I need a whopping ilvl jump to hit the comfortable 670s to benchwarm for a 8/10H guild.

Lanrutcon

Foundry isn't unappealing (just woefully unequal. Some fights are a nightmare, some fights are a joke), it's just that Foundry is like the only thing WoD has going for it atm. To a lot of people, that's not enough.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Also the item level gating is brickwalling potential raiders. Heroic BRF mechanics are obviously not challenging to most of us in GAF, but I need a whopping ilvl jump to hit the comfortable 670s to benchwarm for a 8/10H guild.

Not that I don't agree with him (He has some good points), but I find Preach's voice really annoying.

Regardless, preach has some good points. I mean we saw some guilds disbanded during Mythic Progress on BRF (Like Inner Sanctum, and FatbossTV's guild ALL IN). Hell, Blood Legion decided to leave from World First Race before they even killed Blackhand.

As a Demo lock at 642 ilvl, what kind of DPS should I be looking at? I was doing 15.5K in Highmaul LFR last night which I feel like is low but maybe my expectations were too high. I just switched from Destro.

I was 5th in overall damage, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

His impressions seem fairly spot on. WoD is not so far proving to be the expansion that extremely die hard WoW players want it to be. Those players wanted a game where they could find 1-2 hours of varying content every single day to do on their primary characters and WoD simply doesn't have it. The Garrison doesn't provide it past a certain ilvl threshold and BRF's encounter design has two extremely hard numbers checks that will brickwall even the best guilds, reducing how rewarding their style of play really is. 6.2 is going to be a bloodbath of 'that's it?'

WoD is best enjoyed in small spurts. 2 nights of raiding, one night of tending your garrisons, and then go level an alt. If you ask of it more than that in its current state I fear you're setting yourself up for some serious burnout.

M.D

StMeph

Should probably also scale the percentile to 90th, 95th, or Max, as only looking against the middle-of-the-pack is kind of silly if we accept that the average WoW player does not know how to play their class.

Dysun

A mage quit a month ago.
A Shadow Priest quit

We're wiping at the same spot in phase 2 Heroic Blackhand and it feels like things are going that way as well

ZenaxPure

His impressions seem fairly spot on. WoD is not so far proving to be the expansion that extremely die hard WoW players want it to be. Those players wanted a game where they could find 1-2 hours of varying content every single day to do on their primary characters and WoD simply doesn't have it. The Garrison doesn't provide it past a certain ilvl threshold and BRF's encounter design has two extremely hard numbers checks that will brickwall even the best guilds, reducing how rewarding their style of play really is. 6.2 is going to be a bloodbath of 'that's it?'

It's weird, decided to watch the whole video as I was just doing garrison chores myself and I agree with his big picture point (I mean I have literally been questioning this shit since before the xpac dropped) but I don't think I agree with most of his individual points. Like honestly I don't think the lack of meaningful content outside of raids has a lot to do with people falling off in BRF. I think that is entirely on blizzard deciding to stick with 4 difficulties. I refuse to believe anyone can tell me with a straight face that Heroic BRF is the same difficulty normal SoO was. I think the lack of people clearing stuff in mythic is entirely on the fact that you have to go through a legitimately hard difficulty before you can even reach mythic, there are just less guilds reaching the point where they can even attempt mythic. There are only 3 guilds on my server right now that are 10/10 H BRF which is crazy for 1 month in, even compared to just H Highmaul.

Also unless he is talking about the first 2 months of TBC before they fixed their broken ass fights he is smoking something crazy because if WoD raid difficulty was similar to TBC raid difficulty most guilds would be at 9/10 mythic right now because there wasn't many people struggling with the piss easy bosses of SSC/TK until Vash'j/Kael who were actually hard.

Laekon

Pretty much all classes have changed dramatically since then, so you can't really go wrong with anything.

Has game play really changed or just some talents and spells? For a disc/shadow priest I still remember dot, flay, blast, bubble, melee, dot/blast, and pick up loot.

Warlock is one of the easier classes to level as. Destruction is one of the more fun specs (once you get Chaos Bolt) to level as too. If you mainly want to experience the lore at max levels then a pure dps class is fine since you can do LFR. Warlock is also one of the easier classes to solo old raids with.

What is LFR? My worry about a dps class is finding or dealing with pick up groups for dungeons. Being a tank or healer gives you a little protection against bad players in those situations.

Did they ever implement switching between 2 talent specs?

ZenaxPure

Has game play really changed or just some talents and spells? For a disc/shadow priest I still remember dot, flay, blast, bubble, melee, dot/blast, and pick up loot.

What is LFR? My worry about a dps class is finding or dealing with pick up groups for dungeons. Being a tank or healer gives you a little protection against bad players in those situations.

Did they ever implement switching between 2 talent specs?

LFR is basically tourist difficulty for raids. Raid group with match making that is tuned with match making in mind, very very forgiving. It basically is there as a way for people who don't want or have the time to do organized raiding to see the content, and more or less something to do on alts.

And yeah, gameplay has changed a lot. A lot of classes/specs got their own resource systems (most of which are just variations on combo points). Shadow priests for example have "shadow orbs" which are generated by specific spells and can be spent on a really powerful devouring plague.

Also yes, there are 2 talent specs now and you can swap between the 2 outside of combat.

M.D

LFR is basically tourist difficulty for raids. Raid group with match making that is tuned with match making in mind, very very forgiving. It basically is there as a way for people who don't want or have the time to do organized raiding to see the content, and more or less something to do on alts.

And yeah, gameplay has changed a lot. A lot of classes/specs got their own resource systems (most of which are just variations on combo points). Shadow priests for example have "shadow orbs" which are generated by specific spells and can be spent on a really powerful devouring plague.

Also yes, there are 2 talent specs now and you can swap between the 2 outside of combat.

Pretty much this.
LFR is a decent way to learn some mechanics if you're planning to raid with a group or a guild and a good way to gear up in for the next difficulty tier (normal)

Also, you can now make or find a group for pretty much any activity in the game (including raids).

Changing between 2 specs is pretty easy as a lot of items provide both stats used by your class, except for the amulet, cloak, rings and weapon slots

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I watched the video, and while I don't feel like many of the specific observations are off base I'm struggling to come to the same conclusion as Preacher.

Is the situation realistically that BRF Mythic is beating people down? To answer that question I have to look at who that content is even relevant to. I'm on Sargeras, one of the most populated US Alliance servers and we have only 30 guilds who have downed one BRF Mythic boss, and fewer than twenty guilds with at least 2/10 progression into BRF. Frankly, I'm unconvinced that people are even attempting Mythic level content.

I would probably strongly disagree that Heroic BRF provides few mechanical hurdles for most of GAF. By and large I don't trust the community to be able to play their class well, and beyond that many players are often too lazy to even do the bare minimum leg work required for a deeper understanding of even personal mechanics. Resources for learning about class mechanics seem very limited to me. I can't really speak broadly but my guild is only 8/10 and we regularly carried low i-level potential recruits and were able to boost them from ~650 to 675+ (only to still seem the putting up woefully low numbers). Gear kind of rains down and Heroic content is still forgiving enough to allow for people to be carried, but I feel like player competency and understanding fight mechanics is more important than gear level even at the Heroic level. Gear pretty much rains down from the place.

It seems more like people aren't even getting to Mythic content, and Preacher's video focuses more on what's going on outside of raids than what's happening inside of them. Even for high end guilds I see them doing Heroic BRF and then going back to Mythic Highmaul. For just being what is ostensibly one tier the stairway to Mythic BRF is really long. Normal Highmaul. Heroic Highmaul. Heroic Blackrock Foundry. Potentially Mythic Highmaul, and then Mythic Blackrock Foundry. People that came in late might even insert LRF level raids into that.

ZenaxPure

^ I don't think anyone realistically believes we will have annual expansions :p

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement at Blizzcon though.

It seems more like people aren't even getting to Mythic content, and Preacher's video focuses more on what's going on outside of raids than what's happening inside of them.

Pretty much what I was getting at, except a bit more detailed :p

I totally agree though, I don't think mythic BRF is beating people up as much as people are just not even reaching it. Like I said that is totally the case on my server just looking at wowprogress, only 3 guilds being 10/10 heroic for what is supposed to be the equivalent of "normal" from previous expansions is kind of crazy. Especially considering we got merged with another server at the very end of MoP. Guilds on my server pre-merge made better progress in normal mode cata/MoP raids than they have been doing in WoD.

RPGCrazied

Wow at Blizzcon in November, that means, again we will be waiting like a year or more for the next expansion. Could have sworn they said they weren't going to do these long waits anymore inbetween expansions.

Also unless he is talking about the first 2 months of TBC before they fixed their broken ass fights he is smoking something crazy because if WoD raid difficulty was similar to TBC raid difficulty most guilds would be at 9/10 mythic right now because there wasn't many people struggling with the piss easy bosses of SSC/TK until Vash'j/Kael who were actually hard.

I guess my specific gripe is with Furnace, which is the 'fight doesn't begin until 8-10 minutes into a pull' that Maidens is but with a flood of adds and an imbalanced raid split layered on top. Having watched that vid with last night's attempts fresh in mind I find myself nodding because I'm still in that moment of 'fuck there's another wasted pull because of a single execution check failure halfway through phase 2.' It's going to be more of that on Blackhand and while I'm confident my team will pull through I can already see the progression curve fraying nerves in an otherwise relaxed raiding atmosphere, and it's the paucity of content in between the raiding days that is having me not logging in to wow for more than 30 minutes 5 days a week.

Type2

Now that I've finally capped off my Garrison after waiting for blizz to fix a bugged achievement im not really sure what to do. My warrior is ilvl 648 and I can find some means to improve her gear a little bit more without a guild but lfr is so dreadfully boring. I cant seem to find any guild that wants a tank so I guess ill start working on her dual spec.
What are most dps warriors playing now?

ZenaxPure

I think my biggest problem with WoD is how alt-unfriendly it is.

At the same time though I feel like the parts of WoD that are alt-unfriendly aren't really tied to character progression though. I have an alt who is nearing 650 ilvl and I do not do garrison stuff on her AT ALL except for professions which takes like 2 minutes a day, it's not a big deal. Her followers aren't level 100, some of her building plots are literally empty, and I am okay with it. All I am missing out on is extra gold by not having something like a barn constantly producing stuff.

The only character progression thing I am really missing out on is my bi-weekly highmaul/BRF missions which frankly if my main is anything to go by is not a big deal. My rogue is currently using 1 item I got from a treasure chest. Too many duplicates or items that I purposefully used crafted items in those slots because of how poorly itemized the raid drops are for him.

I guess my specific gripe is with Furnace, which is the 'fight doesn't begin until 8-10 minutes into a pull' that Maidens is but with a flood of adds and an imbalanced raid split layered on top. Having watched that vid with last night's attempts fresh in mind I find myself nodding because I'm still in that moment of 'fuck there's another wasted pull because of a single execution check failure halfway through phase 2.' It's going to be more of that on Blackhand and while I'm confident my team will pull through I can already see the progression curve fraying nerves in an otherwise relaxed raiding atmosphere, and it's the paucity of content in between the raiding days that is having me not logging in to wow for more than 30 minutes 5 days a week.

Yeah trust me, I can understand that for sure. I mostly just didn't like him constantly comparing WoD raiding to TBC raiding because I am just not seeing the connection at all. Once they actually balanced everything after the first couple of months none of the TBC raids were crushingly difficult until Kael/Vash'j.

Renekton

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/934126-World-First-Boss-Takedowns-A-Comprehensive-List

At the top level, we're looking at 3+ weeks worth of reset before top guilds got the next boss after Hydross in SSC, 2-4 weeks between bosses in TK. There were also Gruul and Mag to kill off lesser guilds.

I wonder how Sunwell compares to Mythic BRF.

cdyhybrid

At the same time though I feel like the parts of WoD that are alt-unfriendly aren't really tied to character progression though. I have an alt who is nearing 650 ilvl and I do not do garrison stuff on her AT ALL except for professions which takes like 2 minutes a day, it's not a big deal. Her followers aren't level 100, some of her building plots are literally empty, and I am okay with it. All I am missing out on is extra gold by not having something like a barn constantly producing stuff.

The only character progression thing I am really missing out on is my bi-weekly highmaul/BRF missions which frankly if my main is anything to go by is not a big deal. My rogue is currently using 1 item I got from a treasure chest. Too many duplicates or items that I purposefully used crafted items in those slots because of how poorly itemized the raid drops are for him.

That's true, I guess I could just skip the garrison stuff entirely. Just doesn't feel right though =X

Yeah trust me, I can understand that for sure. I mostly just didn't like him constantly comparing WoD raiding to TBC raiding because I am just not seeing the connection at all. Once they actually balanced everything after the first couple of months none of the TBC raids were crushingly difficult until Kael/Vash'j.

I think the comparison would be more apples to apples if guilds were forced to progress through Magtheridon's Lair instead of having SSC immediately available after Kara/Gruul. But yeah TBC is on another level and the connections made between the experiences are quite thin.

Tacitus_

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/934126-World-First-Boss-Takedowns-A-Comprehensive-List

At the top level, we're looking at 3+ weeks worth of reset before top guilds got the next boss after Hydross in SSC, 2-4 weeks between bosses in TK. There were also Gruul and Mag to kill off lesser guilds.

I wonder how Sunwell compares to Mythic BRF.

The SSC bosses were, as noted above, broken as fuck at launch. You can see how everything but the final boss was killed on the same week, most likely after they fixed them.

ZenaxPure

I think the comparison would be more apples to apples if guilds were forced to progress through Magtheridon's Lair instead of having SSC immediately available after Kara/Gruul. But yeah TBC is on another level and the connections made between the experiences are quite thin.

It was just hard for another reason, a reason I would argue barely involved actual skill on the fights themselves. Most people have well forgotten at this point (like trying to link that world first kill list above me to prove the point) but launch TBC raids were a mess. You had shit like Nightbane where you literally couldn't bring melee characters and the fact that for hybrids green gear was often better than epics. Like seriously, feral gear had every stat and +healing on it. No one was using that garbage.

BRF is hard because of execution, not because blizzard made a poorly balanced and broken game.

That's true, I guess I could just skip the garrison stuff entirely. Just doesn't feel right though =X

I feel the same way for sure. There have been many times where I look at my alt's empty garrison plots and think "I should put something there" but I soon remember that it would just be a hassle for extra gold. The time I spend out trapping for a barn on an alt I could just spend doing an old raid which is frankly more fun to me.

Top Bottom