• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Fjordson

WoD will be the expansion we look back on and think how much better it could have been if Blizz wasn't constantly trying to force garrisons and ashran on people.
Yep.

This may be old news, but is there any indication about Garrisons in the next expansion? Any chance they could be dropped?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yep.

This may be old news, but is there any indication about Garrisons in the next expansion? Any chance they could be dropped?

I can't find the interview right now, but I know Yahoo Games had one where they said Garrisons were a one off thing.

Though I can't imagine them abandoning the concept completely.

Shahadan

I don't really get why you would want to get rid of garrisons. WoD would have been shit without them. I never want to go back.
They were super fun while leveling. They just don't see much use now.

People are complaining they never leave them, but I sure as hell never left Stormwind or the Sanctuary before. Except for timeless isle and sometimes for my farm.

Fjordson

I can't find the interview right now, but I know Yahoo Games had one where they said Garrisons were a one off thing.

Yeah, I could see them coming back. But man, I wouldn't mind them being a one off feature one bit. Zero fun for me.

Are there any good guides for making gold? I want to be able to keep buying game time with gold =\

Basically right now I would say - utilize garrison (spam missions prioritizing gold), ideally across many alts. And farm old raids. Should easily be enough to make the ~22k/month needed for a token. The markets for other things in WoD aren't very strong, particularly without a new patch to invigorate. And we're long past the start-of-expac boom at this point.

I like browsing The Consortium. Has lots of good info there. I actually subscribed for 6 months right when WoD dropped. Though I have to say the information in the private forum is hit and miss - not much I didn't already know, particularly for this expansion which gutted professions. I actually need to remember to cancel that soon, though I may let it roll over anyway since I like the place (thought I do have to check on it either way to make sure it charges the right thing). I would definitely say the sub is most useful at the start of an expansion when better, novel gold-making ideas and schemes are more likely to be gated behind the pay wall. Otherwise they trickle out over time as more people discover them.

For actually playing the AH, TradeSkillMaster (the addon and the app!) is essential. Couple extra plugins for it I used as well outside of the primary suite, CompetitorTracker being the main one I remember at the moment. Lets you add people on your in-game friends list (no notification to them) and track when they're on or offline so you can more easily undercut them. Useful for competitive markets like glyphs.

ZenaxPure

I asked the same question in this thread before WoD came out and I believe there was another interview linked that said they wouldn't carry over these specific garrisons to another expansion but might do something similar with the tech. They made it sound like the system for garrisons is just a neutral system they made to be usable for other stuff if the need arises, like the versatility of the vehicle system.

People are complaining they never leave them, but I sure as hell never left Stormwind or the Sanctuary before. Except for timeless isle and sometimes for my farm.

Cause this is again a case of not everyone playing the game the same way as you . I basically was never inside the shrine during MoP, ever. Between the launch daily hubs + farm + pet battles + repeatable rare spawns that actually dropped useful items I was constantly zone hopping the first few months. That only expanded further with stuff like the Isle of Giants/Isle of Thunder, zandalari rare spawns, timless isle, and so on as the patches came out.

WoD launch outdoor content basically amounted to a bunch of one time treasures (read: mostly garrison resources) that could be banged out in an afternoon at max level, a single apexis daily with no story or purpose or meaningful rewards, barn trapping or timber gathering, and a pitiful number of new pet battles that can all be captured in like... an hour? Minus that asshole sporebat who is a bit of a rare spawn. Oh yeah and literal rep grinds I guess, but, you don't really need anecdotes or tales to see how little people enjoy the current setup of reps. You know shit is weird when the faction most people are exalted with in an expansion is the PVP faction.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Is the best way to level up followers to just send them on missions even if the success chance is low? Obviously send the ones that are 100% first

Also, is it possible to upgrade the fishing shack, mine and garden to level 2/3 without buying the blueprints for 1k? or not?

EDIT: Any good inscription/JC gold making guides? Don't know what to make to sell.

JSoup

Banned
Those numbers gotta come down, gating a questing hub behind a huge currency grind is going to cause the playerbase to revolt.

The current lead in comes off of the current end of the legendary quest line. So, as currently stands, it's a guesting hub gated behind a huge currency grind and the entire legendary process.

The current lead in comes off of the current end of the legendary quest line. So, as currently stands, it's a guesting hub gated behind a huge currency grind and the entire legendary process.

So if I want to go to Tanaan and I haven't done the BRF part of the questline yet (or hell, want to do it on alts) I'm shit out of luck? Yeah that'll go down well.

Ciaossu's tears can be alleviated. All of the Monk nerfs are now by 5%, not 30%

Q4bI5.jpg

Shocked. SHOCKED!

ZenaxPure

Is the best way to level up followers to just send them on missions even if the success chance is low? Obviously send the ones that are 100% first

Also, is it possible to upgrade the fishing shack, mine and garden to level 2/3 without buying the blueprints for 1k? or not?

EDIT: Any good inscription/JC gold making guides? Don't know what to make to sell.

1) Yes. They can also gain XP from working in buildings that produce work orders, but, those are obviously limited.
2) No, have to buy the blueprints. Also for level 3 buildings there is an achievement you have to accomplish as well. The mine/garden one will come naturally but the fishing one takes some work.
3) JC is simple, go to your AH and see what 50 stat gem is selling for the most at the time and make one of those. Inscription is a bit more random. You can either gamble your paints away with darkmoon cards (entirely RNG which one you create) or craft weapons. Weapons are more reliable gold, just check your AH to see which one sells the most.

You don't really need a guide for professions in WoD, each one only has a handful of things they can craft and under normal circumstances you are going to craft an item once or twice per week. And as mentioned by many of us before, professions are not great for gold right now anyway in comparison to other methods such as follower missions. That doesn't mean don't do them, but, just don't expect much.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Anyone get a ticket to BlizzCon?

I got let go today, :( I'm sure i will have a job by then, but don't want to risk it so not going to be able to go this year.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1) Yes. They can also gain XP from working in buildings that produce work orders, but, those are obviously limited.
2) No, have to buy the blueprints. Also for level 3 buildings there is an achievement you have to accomplish as well. The mine/garden one will come naturally but the fishing one takes some work.
3) JC is simple, go to your AH and see what 50 stat gem is selling for the most at the time and make one of those. Inscription is a bit more random. You can either gamble your paints away with darkmoon cards (entirely RNG which one you create) or craft weapons. Weapons are more reliable gold, just check your AH to see which one sells the most.

You don't really need a guide for professions in WoD, each one only has a handful of things they can craft and under normal circumstances you are going to craft an item once or twice per week. And as mentioned by many of us before, professions are not great for gold right now anyway in comparison to other methods such as follower missions. That doesn't mean don't do them, but, just don't expect much.

Thanks for your help :)

Got one follower to 100, 4 more close to it and 2 treasure hunter followers now :D Just need to farm garrison resources

Willectro

Banned

I got let go today, :( I'm sure i will have a job by then, but don't want to risk it so not going to be able to go this year.

Tried to. Really want to go again this year, but eventbrite.com was a pile of shit so I'll have to wait until Saturday to spam f5 for an hour. Blizzcon is great, but this part couldn't be done any worse.

VoxPop

We had a group of 8 people trying to buy as many tickets as possible so we could go but failed miserably. =(

Will have to settle for EDC I guess.

Robin64

So if I want to go to Tanaan and I haven't done the BRF part of the questline yet (or hell, want to do it on alts) I'm shit out of luck? Yeah that'll go down well.

Huh? No, that's wrong. I'm nowhere near having completed the Legendary line.

Vol'jin appears in your Garrison and begins the questline, sending you to the Iron Docks. That's all.

ampere

Ciaossu's tears can be alleviated. All of the Monk nerfs are now by 5%, not 30%

Nah just the damage dealt changes. Don't care too much about those.

I still take ~45% more physical damage on PTR vs Live. RIP Brewmasters

And how the fuck do the devs go from 30% nerfs to 5%??? Numbers, how do they work? It's like a chimp is spinning a dial randomly.

Damn man, that sucks :(. Things are looking grim at my job too, that's why I am ehhh on spending money.

strafer

Yes but focused mostly on one game, so worse :p
They're like drunk guys at a bar ranting about what the government does and does not do 24/7

Yeah, there are almost no positive threads in the General Discussion area.

And don't get me started on the offical forums.

Stay away!

Karl Hawk

Banned
I need to stop reading the mmochampion forum. People are really sad and angry there.

I always tell myself to stop reading MMO-Champion forums (At least for general discussion forums, class discussion forums are pretty interesting to me), but I still keep browsing.

I'm like a glutton for punishment lol.

We killed our first heroic blackhand after four-ish weeks of dealing with it. This is after the nerf, after 3 continuous hours of wiping. And they asked me to server transfer to their guild's realm to start on mythic progression. I feel like a dick but I don't wanna lol.

Brew124

We've been plugging away on Heroics and are running into a bit of a wall. May need to go back to normal and try to finish getting the 4 piece tier for those still missing it.

I used to think that sometimes my WoW addons could get a little crazy. However, I'm trying my hand at modding Skyrim now and I'm gonna be at over 100 mods by the time I'm done. There is the Nexus Mod Manager which is like Curse Client but still. You also have to worry about load and install order, whereas WoW is mostly plug and play.

Hopefully it works and doesn't just crash or have terrible FPS.

Corsick

Just hit 70 with my new warrior after 1 day, 11 hours played. I think that's a bit below average with 1 piece of exp heirloom gear. Just glad to be in Northrend since level 68, honestly.

Yeah, there are almost no positive threads in the General Discussion area.

And don't get me started on the offical forums.

Stay away!

Strafer let's have an unironic discussion about how great everything about Vanilla was and how we wish there were vanilla-only servers to emulate the experience of mmo-c/official forums.

Man, wasn't it great to have to clear ZG and Onyxia every raid lockout to have the correct buffs up for Loatheb attempts?

Rokam

Strafer let's have an unironic discussion about how great everything about Vanilla was and how we wish there were vanilla-only servers to emulate the experience of mmo-c/official forums.

Man, wasn't it great to have to clear ZG and Onyxia every raid lockout to have the correct buffs up for Loatheb attempts?

And then some idiot would run off by himself while you were capping the tower in EPL and start a chain reaction that would cause everyone in the raid to get killed, thus starting the process all over again.

Guys what is the easiest way to earn some money? Farm/kill stuff or doing this thing or gathering? Basically I'm looking into resubbing and than trying to supplement my monthly costs with tokens. So any idea on how to make money would be greatly appreciated

I mean how long does it take to earn those 30k for a token?

ZenaxPure

The tokens have not actually been 30k gold since the first day, they usually flip between 20 and 25k throughout the day (usually going down to 20k in the early morning hours).

Anyway this is a hard question to answer without knowing your experience with WoD (so forgive me if I am saying obvious things you already know). It is very fast and easy to whip up 20k gold right now without ever partaking in your server economy but not immediately, it requires setup. Your garrison with a max rank Inn unlocks follower missions that reward gold. In addition it lets you recruit followers that have an ability that doubles the gold you get on a mission and this ability stacks (so a 3 person mission will give 3x the gold if you have 3 followers with said ability).

This takes a while to set up because you can only recruit 1 follower per week and rerolling follower abilities is unreliable, but, when you get it going you are looking at a bunch of gold per week for basically no effort (turning in a bunch of follower missions and sending them back out takes like 2 minutes tops and these missions take a few hours to complete). I am doing this on my alts who are still in the process of leveling and gearing followers but each week each alt generates ~5k gold for my main right now. Even if you only do this on one character it will give a bunch of gold, plenty enough to buy 1 token per month if you supplement it with other methods (such as the below one)

Past that raids are your best bet, Cataclysm 25 man heroic bosses drop ~125g per boss plus the loot you can vendor. If you do every Cata raid this is around 3500g at a minimum BEFORE vendoring any drops (realistically it is much more because the dropped items vendor for a lot, 2h weapons around almost 50g per for example). Downside is you need somewhat decent gear to run 25H cata raids. Full LFR gear is probably enough but that can take a bit to get, though, not nearly as long as building up your follower roster. Even in good gear clearing all the raids can take a few hours but considering the weekly lockout it's not actually a terribly huge time investment and you can get stuff like mounts/transmog if you care about those things.

Wrath raids are still decent money too (better than gathering professions for time vs. gold made) but I usually don't mess with them since they are less gold than Cata raids and take more time to run because the sheer size of the raids and how much walking is required (ToC being the one exception obviously).

Of course obviously stuff like professions will still make money but those 2 methods are worth mentioning since they do not involve your server economy or anything, it is just generating gold out of thin air. Unless Blizzard nerfs them (which personally I am expecting by the end of the expansion) they are incredibly reliable ways to make a bunch of gold per week.

Hopefully that helped a bit but like I said I don't know the current state of your characters which will pretty dramatically impact how fast you can get to making gold. But the tldr simple answer to your question is: making enough gold for a token each month is piss easy right now if you are willing to put in effort and a rather minimal time investment. It only snowballs if you are willing to level alts to level 100 and do follower missions on them (which as mentioned is not a big time investment once you actually get things setup).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am generating enough gold to buy one WoW token a week and have some change left over. If you can get multiple alts with garrison profession buildings you can make tons of easy gold. Maxing followers also contributes. There are a lot of missions for gold, and getting the rush order items for the profession buildings gets you mats quicker.

In addition to running Cata raids mentioned above, the raid pets added to TBC raids last patch sell for around 2-3k a pop on my server. Running through BT, Hyjal (eww) and Sunwell is really quick.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
What are the easiest Cata raids to do at heroic 25? I tried doing Blackwing Descent on my ret paladin, but some bosses have mechanics that deals tons of damage. :( I just want to kill bosses without needing to worry about this

ZenaxPure

In addition to running Cata raids mentioned above, the raid pets added to TBC raids last patch sell for around 2-3k a pop on my server. Running through BT, Hyjal (eww) and Sunwell is really quick.

I would call Hyjal anything but quick :p

But yeah, the pets still sell pretty well (at least on my server, can't speak for your own) but it's just RNG since the drop rate isn't 100%. I tend to not mess with it because my weekly income is high enough nowadays I got rid of pretty much anything RNG related in gold making since I dislike them.

Speaking of gold Ashran continues to pay out on my server. I've had some language filters I've been hanging onto over the past few days because I was leveling an alt with a friend and in that time I guess all the ones on my server were bought and no one put anymore up. Tossed one up for 55k and it managed to sell, guess someone was pretty desperate. Either way, I continue to love the fact no one on my mid pop pve server cares about Ashran but they seem to really care about the trading post AH.

What are the easiest Cata raids to do at heroic 25? I tried doing Blackwing Descent on my ret paladin, but some bosses have mechanics that deals tons of damage. :( I just want to kill bosses without needing to worry about this

What boss is giving you trouble? Because honestly BWD is the easiest of the Cata raids IMO.

Bisnic

I would call Hyjal anything but quick :p

But yeah, the pets still sell pretty well (at least on my server, can't speak for your own) but it's just RNG since the drop rate isn't 100%. I tend to not mess with it because my weekly income is high enough nowadays I got rid of pretty much anything RNG related in gold making since I dislike them.

Speaking of gold Ashran continues to pay out on my server. I've had some language filters I've been hanging onto over the past few days because I was leveling an alt with a friend and in that time I guess all the ones on my server were bought and no one put anymore up. Tossed one up for 55k and it managed to sell, guess someone was pretty desperate. Either way, I continue to love the fact no one on my mid pop pve server cares about Ashran but they seem to really care about the trading post AH.

What boss is giving you trouble? Because honestly BWD is the easiest of the Cata raids IMO.

That hydra boss. I only tried once though. I was doing ok, and suddenly I died for no reason. Maloriak is a little annoying to deal with since i have to wait until he's at 25% to use my cooldowns and burn him while he cast that 8-10 secs spell if i dont want to be overwhelmed by tons of adds, but that's not too bad.

My frost mage can kill faster than my ret paladin, but i fear the lack of armor and heals is gonna make soloing 25man heroics cata raids harder.

Fularu

Banned
Guys what is the easiest way to earn some money? Farm/kill stuff or doing this thing or gathering? Basically I'm looking into resubbing and than trying to supplement my monthly costs with tokens. So any idea on how to make money would be greatly appreciated

Classic raids clears (clear all 5 heroic versions of Cataclysm raids and sell the loot)

And a bunch of gold missions with gold followers. I make about 25k weekly just with those on two characters and it takes roughly 5 hours

ZenaxPure

That hydra boss. I was doing ok, and suddenly I died for no reason.

Talk to the gnome in the cage and activate the friendly robot helper. Causes the one shot ability to take you to 1 HP instead of killing you, after that make sure you heal up and then win. Ideally your DPS is high enough that the one shot ability only happens once so you can lay on hands freely and not have to worry about it after that.

Also a general thing to keep in mind for running old raids is that heroism drums are really cheap to make if you have a LW or know a LW, otherwise I imagine you can buy them on the AH assuming someone on your server is selling them. They are key to bursting bosses down so you have to deal with their mechanics less. I always use one on bosses like Maloriak just to be safe.

Bisnic

Talk to the gnome in the cage and activate the friendly robot helper. Causes the one shot ability to take you to 1 HP instead of killing you, after that make sure you heal up and then win. Ideally your DPS is high enough that the one shot ability only happens once so you can lay on hands freely and not have to worry about it after that.

Also a general thing to keep in mind for running old raids is that heroism drums are really cheap to make if you have a LW or know a LW, otherwise I imagine you can buy them on the AH assuming someone on your server is selling them. They are key to bursting bosses down so you have to deal with their mechanics less. I always use one on bosses like Maloriak just to be safe.

Guess i'll have to lvl up my lvl 90 LW then.

But even if the robot helper brings me to 1HP instead of one shot, i still need just one hit to get killed after that, doesn't give me much time to heal. :(

Is there other annoying cata heroic boss like that?

Fularu

Banned
Guess i'll have to lvl up my lvl 90 LW then.

But even if the robot helper brings me to 1HP instead of one shot, i still need just one hit to get killed after that, doesn't give me much time to heal. :(

Is there other annoying cata heroic boss like that?
There are No attacha for 3 seconds you can pot

You should kill chimaeron in less than 30 seconds anyway on heroic 25

ZenaxPure

You should kill chimaeron in less than 30 seconds anyway on heroic 25

I don't think that is a reasonable expectation given that most people playing WoW are probably in LFR gear with maybe some normal cache/crafted gear mixed in. You need some pretty strong DPS to not get a single massacre on 25H.

What you should really be aiming for is only a single massacre. If it happens more than once you don't have the DPS for the fight or any cata heroic stuff really.

To answer your question though, yes, there are a lot of cata 25H bosses that have mechanics that will just kill you if you don't have the DPS to avoid certain abilities. Every raid has at least 1 I can think of off the top of my head.

Top Bottom