• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Fularu

Banned
I don't think that is a reasonable expectation given that most people playing WoW are probably in LFR gear with maybe some normal cache/crafted gear mixed in. You need some pretty strong DPS to not get a single massacre on 25H.

What you should really be aiming for is only a single massacre. If it happens more than once you don't have the DPS for the fight or any cata heroic stuff really.

To answer your question though, yes, there are a lot of cata 25H bosses that have mechanics that will just kill you if you don't have the DPS to avoid certain abilities. Every raid has at least 1 I can think of off the top of my head.
I was killing him in under 30 seconds with heroic dungeon gear

Now I kill him in 7 seconds or less

For Cata raids:
Blackwing Descent: LFR/Heroic gear can get you through 25N/10H easily, 25H requires a bit more, I'd say Highmaul Normal level due to DPS check on Chimalon and Nefarian, get a kiting spec for Nefarian and you are good to go.
Throne of the Four Winds: if you don't have self heal/self cleanse then 25H is no go. 10H is easy.
Bastion of Twilight: Valiona and Theralion requires at least 655-660 on 25H if you don't have big self heals since you need to kill them before the 2nd Blackout kills you, whatever if you have heals though.
Firelands: get a pet or multi dotting on Shannox, needs a little gear for Baleroc if you don't have big defensive CDs to survive dark blade because you need to kill him fast that way.
Dragon Soul: Ultraxion is DPS check, be around 660 to beat the first Hour of Twilight. Spine of Deathwing is a bitch but it's more about strategy and less about gear, the rest are faceroll.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Balance.

Resto druid is firmly last-place in BRF among all classes that can heal.

Is it? :X

Whats a good dual spec for balance? Resto? I guess I could use resto for when I level if I use dungeons.

How do I check BRF rankings?

Peachpies

Balance.

Resto druid is firmly last-place in BRF among all classes that can heal.
Resto druids are fine and are generally in the middle or better of the healing specs right now.

Is it? :X

Whats a good dual spec for balance? Resto? I guess I could use resto for when I level if I use dungeons.

How do I check BRF rankings?
you can check the brf rankings here https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/7#metric=hps&boss=1691 but if you are looking at healing rankings you should always take them with a large grain of salt as they depend primarily on how you do the fight and the healing comp

TheYanger

Would Resto/Balance be the best dual spec? Since gear is similar

Yeah, though it's still not totally shared. For the most part damage/tanking/healing are all different trinkets/jewelry/cloak while the main armor pieces are universal. Int changes to agi if you go bear, for instance. so you only need one tier set. That said stat weights still aren't the same so.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Firmly below disc, hpally and rsham in BRF.

I don't get why you would even compare them? Healing has been homogenized quite a bit but Hpal and Disc are still tank healers through and through.

Pretty much every healing class is wanted in a raid, a restro druid won't get turned down for an extra disc priest if the raid leader has half a brain.

Tarazet

I don't get why you would even compare them? Healing has been homogenized quite a bit but Hpal and Disc are still tank healers through and through.

Pretty much every healing class is wanted in a raid, a restro druid won't get turned down for an extra disc priest if the raid leader has half a brain.

Two disc priests will drive each other crazy because of the Weakened Soul debuffs. Even in LFR, if there is a better geared Disc I will switch to Holy and raid heal because I will be useless as Disc. The comp of Disc, Paladin, [any other 1-2 healing classes] is the way groups are rolling at the moment. And it doesn't matter a huge amount what you put in that "other" category; HPriest, RSham, Rdruid, Monk can all do the job.

Lashley

Just did my first garrison invasion. Got a score of 712, so earned silver. Thought it was quite fun tbh!

Robin64

Is "School of Hard Knocks" still required for the "For the Children" achievement?

Yep!

Ym1Se8r.png

mclem

Firelands: get a pet or multi dotting on Shannox, needs a little gear for Baleroc if you don't have big defensive CDs to survive dark blade because you need to kill him fast that way.

I thought the shadow blade was a fixed health percentage and couldn't be reduced? I did it as tank a couple of months ago and really struggled with it because despite having a vast array of CDs, it wasn't actually enough to survive the entire shadow phase.

Guys what is the easiest way to earn some money? Farm/kill stuff or doing this thing or gathering? Basically I'm looking into resubbing and than trying to supplement my monthly costs with tokens. So any idea on how to make money would be greatly appreciated

I mean how long does it take to earn those 30k for a token?

As others have said, Cata raids are probably the easiest. You can solo 10 mans at 90 with 550 gear. Its not much, but its a couple 1000g/week/character. Firelands is cake except for shannox. As said, you need a pet or aoe dots. You can step up to 25 man at 100 and probably 600-615, but it will be pretty slow. I needed 650ilvl to clear ultraxion on 25H on my enhance sham and my demo lock. Every other fight is a joke.

I haven't been in descent in a while since there is no mount there, and all Im doing right now is mount farming. I also make a crap ton of gold with tailoring and the barn. I make item upgrade tokens (since 640 items sell for shit now) and sell off excess savage bloods and fur. There really isn't a whole of money in enchating for me. The cost of the mats is almost the same as just vendoring the item, at least for greens.

Ive been playing since mid December and Ive probably close to 600,000 gold without even trying. Almost 300,000 was spent on 3 mounts, I just dumped 100k on subs for me and the wife, and have spent probably 50-75k on the AH for gear. My 4 garrisons cost another 40 probably. Im sitting on 60k gold right.

Ive done all of this without really trying. I run Firelands and DS 4 times a week, twice on 25H and twice on 10N just to get mounts. I join a group to farm Barn mats for the week, it takes maybe an hour for 3 characters for the week. I make item upgrade tokens to sell, and sell off excess mats. So 6-8 hours a week gets me enough gold to pay for a month and then some. I haven't actually "played" in month or so. Cities Skylines and Bloodborne are eating my gaming time right now.

Edit: I forgot to mention the salvage yard. I probably make 1500 a week just from that building. If you get lucky, you can get some amazing BoE stuff that sells for a lot. My best item was a shield that I sold for 12k, I think.

Lashley

I won't be able to afford tokens for a long while yet.

Stuck at about 4k on my main :( few followers are level 100 and have two treasure hunters but barely making any money from missions

RPGCrazied

Now you have to run a dungeon also to unlock this zone? Geeze, seems like a hassle for one zone. Fresh level 100's won't be able to do it. Lame.

Karl Hawk

Banned
I remember that I had to do the Cata at normal difficulty first before doing them on heroic on my paladin.

Since I'm gonna farm Cata raids soon enough on my hunter alt, is it fair to assume that I have to do them on normal first like I did with my pally?

ZenaxPure

I remember that I had to do the Cata at normal difficulty first before doing them on heroic on my paladin.

Since I'm gonna farm Cata raids soon enough on my hunter alt, is it fair to assume that I have to do them on normal first like I did with my pally?

To unlock heroic difficulty? Yeah, you have to do it on normal to unlock heroic.

ZenaxPure

Looks like a quest that takes place in an uninstanced version of Iron Docks rather than one that forces you to LFD for it. Will probably work like the other Garrison campaign quests, utilizing a phased section of the world zone.

Yeah, much like every outdoor dungeon since cata the entire thing is modeled out in the world.

In fact you can still see remnants of this quest chain and how it was planned from the start but got delayed (presumably by Tanaan also getting delayed) as there is an Alliance and Horde base camp at the outdoor version of Iron Docks with a couple of named NPCs (including Thaelin at the alliance camp) and a semi-functional flight master that will actually fly you back to your garrison if you talk to him. Who knows if those camps will actually get used when the quest chain is added, but, they've been there since launch.

RPGCrazied

Looks like a quest that takes place in an uninstanced version of Iron Docks rather than one that forces you to LFD for it. Will probably work like the other Garrison campaign quests, utilizing a phased section of the world zone.

Yeah, much like every outdoor dungeon since cata the entire thing is modeled out in the world.

In fact you can still see remnants of this quest chain and how it was planned from the start but got delayed (presumably by Tanaan also getting delayed) as there is an Alliance and Horde base camp at the outdoor version of Iron Docks with a couple of named NPCs (including Thaelin at the alliance camp) and a semi-functional flight master that will actually fly you back to your garrison if you talk to him. Who knows if those camps will actually get used when the quest chain is added, but, they've been there since launch.

Alright, that is good to know, thanks. Already have a level 3 garrison on my level 100. Yeah, I still only have one out of my 11 characters. I have a level 94 and 92 character though.

mclem

So here's a question: How do you determine if healers are genuinely underperforming?

We're looking at Blast Furnace now, and I'm aware our DPS is a little low, but I'm wondering if healing is too. The Ask Mr Robot infographics are... distressing. Now, I'm thinking that might be partially because we tend to bring one more healer than is strictly necessary; I'm not sure the infographics factor that in. But last night on Maidens, for instance, this was the performance. (Ashume was on the ship when we did send a healer over, which we only did for one of the two instances).

I'm mostly distressed by our Disc priest - Schwartzkopf - but he gets very brittle when I try to broach the subject, so I'd like to approach it with as much advance knowledge as possible. And there's a fair chance that it's simply a case of more healers -> less for each to heal, but the discrepancy here seems remarkably large.

As for Furnace itself, what's the better option if you *are* a bit lacking on DPS? Particularly with regard to when to kill Feldspar? We either take him out early then feel like we're playing catch-up throughout, or keep him up for a while and have to deal with a lot of extra damage.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
So here's a question: How do you determine if healers are genuinely underperforming?

We're looking at Blast Furnace now, and I'm aware our DPS is a little low, but I'm wondering if healing is too. The Ask Mr Robot infographics are... distressing. Now, I'm thinking that might be partially because we tend to bring one more healer than is strictly necessary; I'm not sure the infographics factor that in. But last night on Maidens, for instance, this was the performance. (Ashume was on the ship when we did send a healer over, which we only did for one of the two instances).

I'm mostly distressed by our Disc priest - Schwartzkopf - but he gets very brittle when I try to broach the subject, so I'd like to approach it with as much advance knowledge as possible. And there's a fair chance that it's simply a case of more healers -> less for each to heal, but the discrepancy here seems remarkably large.

As for Furnace itself, what's the better option if you *are* a bit lacking on DPS? Particularly with regard to when to kill Feldspar? We either take him out early then feel like we're playing catch-up throughout, or keep him up for a while and have to deal with a lot of extra damage.

At a quick glance, I see your Disc priest on the lowest on the 3 healers. The excuse of "more healers = less to heal" for disc priests just does not exist. If anything, your druid would be having that excuse. Disc priests PREVENT damage before it even happens.

Spirit Shell is a weird talent choice. It kinda sucks right now. Power Infusion is worth it alone for the reduced mana cost for spells.

I'll post a link to a recent log of myself in H Blast Furnace for now: link

I am at work right now so I can't go into further depth. I will try and locate a decent guide for him to look over.

Edit: Found a pretty decent guide that goes over How to Disc priest: link

The guide also briefly goes over roles/mechanics for BRF fights (mythic) but it should help. If you have any other questions just ask.

mclem

Thanks for that. It certainly does look like something's wrong, but I'll have to take a bit of time to both pick out what *and* figure out how to broach the subject!

On a first-kill on Furnace, what sort of Heat levels should we expect on each transition?

Renekton

Erm, maybe stupid question. Wouldn't you want to sweat the DPSers first instead of the priest?

H BF healing felt easy if the DPS is solid.

mclem

Erm, maybe stupid question. Wouldn't you want to sweat the DPSers first instead of the priest?

H BF healing felt easy if the DPS is solid.

BF isn't a great example in that regard, it's just what we're working on now, and I'm looking at the DPS as well - but poor DPS is quite a bit easier to figure out, whereas poor healing is a subtler issue. And he is very quick to blame others, which bothers me regarding group unity, so I'm trying to confirm if he's trying to mask other issues.

Also, I have to admit, I'm the tank, and I got a bit ornery when he told me to tank better after one particular wipe :) He does criticise tank damage a lot, and I've searched significantly through my own playstyle and haven't really found many flaws, which is why I'm wondering if the problem's at the other end.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
BF isn't a great example in that regard, it's just what we're working on now, and I'm looking at the DPS as well - but poor DPS is quite a bit easier to figure out, whereas poor healing is a subtler issue. And he is very quick to blame others, which bothers me regarding group unity, so I'm trying to confirm if he's trying to mask other issues.

Also, I have to admit, I'm the tank, and I got a bit ornery when he told me to tank better after one particular wipe :)

I mean looking at his numbers for even the Iron Maidens fight, he is in last place as a Disc Priest. He should be blanket shielding the raid more and shield people BEFORE they are gonna take damage, while constantly keeping shields on both tanks at all times.

Edit: His Archangel uptimes are also on the low side just gathering from the Iron Maidens kill. Just under 18% uptime.

I highly suggest for him to look at some guides/forums or watch some videos.

Top Bottom