• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
You really have to take into account WoW token values now when buying something expensive.

Depends on how far into the future you've subbed. If you are 5 years out on your sub, that gold is going to be worth more than another sub month due to buying power now in getting things you want in the game. You can only convert it to real money enough to the point where a sub month is pretty much worthless.

I have to wonder what happens when the buyer's remorse starts kicking in for people who tokened themselves into multi-year subs. At some point the boredom with the game balloons and you think such people would wish they'd hung onto their gold and let the sub lapse, instead.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have to wonder what happens when the buyer's remorse starts kicking in for people who tokened themselves into multi-year subs. At some point the boredom with the game balloons and you think such people would wish they'd hung onto their gold and let the sub lapse, instead.
If you don't care about the game what good would the gold do you? My sub lapses in about two weeks and I think I'm just going to let it drop though.

davepoobond

It kind of doesnt matter either way, the difference is they aren't paying money for it anymore at least.

I have yet to let my sub lapse, and I don't really have plans to as long as the game is going. Wow token makes it possible for me to keep going infinitely at this point...

If you don't care about the game what good would the gold do you? My sub lapses in about two weeks and I think I'm just going to let it drop though.

The gold would be nice to come back to if you lapsed after Siege of Orgrimmar mk.II at the end of this expansion and had plans to return when the next expansion drops, whatever it is. Maybe fewer people than I thought are buying more than a year's worth of tokens.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I started playing FFXIV just for something different. I may come back towards the end of the expansion like I did with MOP, but I like the idea that I've got more than enough gold that I can just buy my way back into the game without spending any real money whenever.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Gold is easy to make. Even if I get bored and don't play much it's not a huge loss.

ZenaxPure

Maybe fewer people than I thought are buying more than a year's worth of tokens.

Thing is though you say it like it is bleeding people dry. A year of sub time right now is only around 240k gold. It's probably a safe bet that anyone who bought a year+ of sub time has way more gold than that.

As for the boredom thing, I dunno, I've been in it since vanilla and the times I've unsubbed has always been in those year long gaps each expansion has where blizzard doesn't put out any meaningful patches. But in those cases it was less about boredom and more about me realizing that I wasn't going to play enough to justify $15 a month because there wasn't any new stuff to do. I would have happily kept my account going during those periods if I could have done it with gold just to play casually and do holiday events and stuff.

I started playing FFXIV just for something different. I may come back towards the end of the expansion like I did with MOP, but I like the idea that I've got more than enough gold that I can just buy my way back into the game without spending any real money whenever.

If your wow account goes unactive is there even a way to buy a token using gold without first paying for a month with real cash to come back and get on a toon to buy it?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Yes. You get an option on the login screen with the current WoW token price.

Holy hell have I ever been out of the the game for a long time. Just checked the price and 23k for a month? I barely had 7k gold total from my time playing I think. Haha.

Renekton

It does seem like people who don't need the hoarded gold in the first place are bored with the game.

I pretty much don't play this game anymore. I log in once a day for 10 minutes and just do garrison quests on my 8 100s. I don't do anything else. I don't even do my daily profession cool-downs. I get about 10k gold per day doing that, but I have like 900 salvage crates that I haven't opened so it's probably a little more than that. I'm not sure what to do with the gold. I was thinking I might buy CM gold carries for all of my alts, but I'm not sure how much teams charge for that.

It does seem like people who don't need the hoarded gold in the first place are bored with the game.

Well the people who have gold are mostly AH goblins. And the economy game has been rather disappointing this expac. The details of which I've expressed in the past.

The other category of extremely wealthy are high end raiders/pvpers that have the ability to sell carries. And they're going to be playing regardless.

Outside of those two groups, I'm not sure if there are other types of WoW millionaires. Maybe people who've just been playing a long time and for whatever reason don't spend much.

There are gold "farmers", but straight grinding is less effective than ever in WoD, and there tends to be at least some overlap with AH goblins there.

Mass gatherers certainly don't exist as such in this expansion with the low value of herbs and ore combined with the lack of flying.

Renekton

Man my FPS gets so choppy/low in the garrison. It's fucking terrible. Going from 60+ to like 40 or something.
I was having the same problem until I changed my old HDD, not sure why.

Well the people who have gold are mostly AH goblins. And the economy game has been rather disappointing this expac. The details of which I've expressed in the past.

The other category of extremely wealthy are high end raiders/pvpers that have the ability to sell carries. And they're going to be playing regardless.
No complaints for a pleb like me :) the self-sufficiency prevents me from getting gouged by AH campers.

I put in my high bid for Invincible, don't think I'm gonna go any higher. Someone will probably outbid me based on what people around the BMAH were saying, but whatever.

And lol@people doing wealth checks somehow, saying I only had XXX gold acquired all time. Psh, like I keep it all on one character. That's just liquid too, doesn't count assets like rare pets. xmog inventory, etc.

davepoobond

I put in my high bid for Invincible, don't think I'm gonna go any higher. Someone will probably outbid me based on what people around the BMAH were saying, but whatever.

And lol@people doing wealth checks somehow, saying I only had XXX gold acquired all time. Psh, like I keep it all on one character. That's just liquid too, doesn't count assets like rare pets. xmog inventory, etc.

Wealth checks?

Wealth checks?

Somehow apparently they were able to see the gold acquired stat or something. Maybe an addon. Mentioned that I only had so much gold acquired and indicated that they would outbid me by placing more than that later.

Anyway yeah, at this point I went in for 100k more than I would've preferred. If I get outbid, so be it - I'm not entirely sure I want to drain that much gold anyway. Same feeling as when I bought my Swift Spectral. A little bit of buyer's remorse. Honestly it'd almost be a relief to be outbid.

But whatever, I put up all I'm comfortable parting with so it's not up to me anymore. Not gonna log back in till the auction will be over.

Like, maybeeeee I could go in for 700k, but that's really pushing it when I can indeed farm the mount anyway.

ZenaxPure

Since last week, I've begun using Accountant to track my income in WoW. For anyone who thinks that the Garrison missions don't give you a lot of gold..this might change your mind.

I had only been keeping vague track of my garrison gold but your post made me curious so I paid a bit more attention this week. Just finished opening all my crates and sending the gold back to my main and I made exactly 72,500g from just missions and vendoring greens from crates this week (not including whatever my main brings in from missions/crates). Pretty decent increase over what I made last week and the week before, just getting more treasure hunters in my roster helps so much. Pretty excited to see this week because unless rng screws me over 2 more of my alts will be getting Harrison which speeds things up so much.

That number also doesn't include all the mats you get from the crates, specifically dust because you get so many WoD greens. I haven't disenchanted all of them yet but so far I am at roughly 500 dust just from this set of crates, still have a few more pages of mail to get through.

Outbid near the end, but like I said before, kind of a relief that I'm still a WoW millionaire. Final going price for Invincible was 630k. Probably a tad more than I'd want to spend.

Gives me something to work on I guess, farming the mount. Though it is annoying.

So, not to be a dick, but this happened today. As in about 10 minutes ago.

lH0Ln1y.jpg

Now all I have left from LK is Mimiron.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I had only been keeping vague track of my garrison gold but your post made me curious so I paid a bit more attention this week. Just finished opening all my crates and sending the gold back to my main and I made exactly 72,500g from just missions and vendoring greens from crates this week (not including whatever my main brings in from missions/crates). Pretty decent increase over what I made last week and the week before, just getting more treasure hunters in my roster helps so much. Pretty excited to see this week because unless rng screws me over 2 more of my alts will be getting Harrison which speeds things up so much.

That number also doesn't include all the mats you get from the crates, specifically dust because you get so many WoD greens. I haven't disenchanted all of them yet but so far I am at roughly 500 dust just from this set of crates, still have a few more pages of mail to get through.

Yep! I'm noticing the same thing already this week with the additional treasure hunter. Just got Harrison on my Warrior too, so that should be a lot of fun. Already at 22,600g from Sunday for Garrison missions alone.

Robin64

Tried Tanaan Jungle on the PTR. I have never been so bored in my life.

A few breadcrumb quests to guide you to where events might happen, and then that's it, left to your own devices. Once you've found the treasures and done a couple of events, you pretty much have done everything. Riding round a zone the size of Hellfire, but with jungle in the way blocking a lot of routes, looking for vague events to take part in.. Yuk.

It's like the art team made a zone, a really nice looking zone, then went to the quest team to fill and found the quest team had been fired.

StMeph

Tried Tanaan Jungle on the PTR. I have never been so bored in my life.

A few breadcrumb quests to guide you to where events might happen, and then that's it, left to your own devices. Once you've found the treasures and done a couple of events, you pretty much have done everything. Riding round a zone the size of Hellfire, but with jungle in the way blocking a lot of routes, looking for vague events to take part in.. Yuk.

It's like the art team made a zone, a really nice looking zone, then went to the quest team to fill and found the quest team had been fired.

Timeless Isle was pretty well populated with players, and that didn't have any real quests to speak of. Is it even worse/vaguer than Timeless?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Down for sure. I don't see how they've done anything in the last 3 months of wow to keep people interested. BRF wasn't enough.

I have a feeling WoW tokens are going to give a false representation of the subs. I bought for 15 months of game time with my gold, but I feel like I could just cancel my sub right now since all I do is running old raids for mounts and Garrison missions until 6.2 is released.

Robin64

Timeless Isle was pretty well populated with players, and that didn't have any real quests to speak of. Is it even worse/vaguer than Timeless?

It doesn't feel as fun as Timeless Isle.

I guess part of it is my expectation that this is supposed to be a big proper zone, part of Draenor, just somewhere we hadn't been yet. Where I felt Timeless Isle was a bonus zone, given we'd already had a lot of updates to the expansion by that point.

ampere

I got Invincible on my birthday :3

I got it 2 days before my birthday... though it was during MoP I did beat 6 others on a roll! :p

I have a feeling WoW tokens are going to give a false representation of the subs. I bought for 15 months of game time with my gold, but I feel like I could just cancel my sub right now since all I do is running old raids for mounts and Garrison missions until 6.2 is released.

Yeah but that still means that someone out there paid $20*15 for your sub time.

It's a win win for Blizzard. Hell that's a 33% more expensive sub rate, shareholders will love that shit

ZenaxPure

It doesn't feel as fun as Timeless Isle.

I guess part of it is my expectation that this is supposed to be a big proper zone, part of Draenor, just somewhere we hadn't been yet. Where I felt Timeless Isle was a bonus zone, given we'd already had a lot of updates to the expansion by that point.

Entire garrison campaign takes place in the zone with each chapter showing off a different sub-zone, 6 in total I believe, which is what will make the zone feel like it belongs in the world. But like I mentioned before I don't exactly have high expectations for it considering how bad the first campaign was and how this appears to be more of the same (the fact that the zone preview says you get the quests in a random order is an immediate red flag to me).

It's a win win for Blizzard. Hell that's a 33% more expensive sub rate, shareholders will love that shit

Oh yeah. Honestly I've always seen the token as a bit of a devious thing on blizz's end. Not for any crazy conspiracy reasons but just because it really is such a huge win on their end of things. I mean it's really cool for those of us that never have to pay real money to play again but it's even cooler for blizzard because some other person is paying more money than a real sub costs.

strafer

so i just checked my mounts and there is a new model wolf I haven't seen before...

Darn Nightwolf

Where does that come from!

Robin64

Entire garrison campaign takes place in the zone with each chapter showing off a different sub-zone, 6 in total I believe, which is what will make the zone feel like it belongs in the world. But like I mentioned before I don't exactly have high expectations for it considering how bad the first campaign was and how this appears to be more of the same (the fact that the zone preview says you get the quests in a random order is an immediate red flag to me).

Yeah, I guess that's something. But like you I don't have a lot of faith in it.

Also, dragging out 6 questlines over 6 weeks just screams artificial lengthening. It's not like it's on top of existing quests there, it's all that there is.

ZenaxPure

Also, dragging out 6 questlines over 6 weeks just screams artificial lengthening. It's not like it's on top of existing quests there, it's all that there is.

That is one of my many dislikes of the garrison campaign. One quest chain each week is stupid, should be at least 2-3 times a week if they are going to go that route. That is how similar things have worked in the past so I would expect at least something like that.

That said according to the wowhead preview there is also a daily quest in the zone as well (unsure if it is implemented on the ptr right now though). But it is not like previous daily hubs and is more in line with the current apexis model. I don't think it uses the whole blue bar thing but I think the intent is similar.

Robin64

That said according to the wowhead preview there is also a daily quest in the zone as well (unsure if it is implemented on the ptr right now though). But it is not like previous daily hubs and is more in line with the current apexis model. I don't think it uses the whole blue bar thing but I think the intent is similar.

There is currently a daily Apexis quest on the PTR. There are five designated areas within the zone, and one gets randomly chosen to be active that day. The gameplay is identical to the current Apexis stuff, though, blue bar filling.

You also earn oil there, for the shipyard.

Sigh, tried my hand at AH flipping a hearthstone mount and its not going well. I bought it for 124 and im trying to get 175+ for it. Its not going to well, but at least the listing fee is only 1S.

All you gold whores are making me crazy. I want more gold, but I have no idea what the hell for. I make more than enough gold to sub me and my wife and I don't think I could drop more than 200k on a mount. The ones that do go for 400k+ don't do anything for me.

Its pretty sad how easy it is to make gold. All I do is garrison missions, item upgrade tokens, and raid farming for mounts.

Get two birds with one stone today for my inn quests. Both are in Everbloom and both I haven't done before. So that's nice. Can't wait to be done with acquiring the level 3 inn.

On all my alts now as I level them up I'm replacing the trading posts I had with level 2 inns to get the ball rolling on treasure hunters.

Anyway, still don't know if I necessarily want to play past this month - WoW becomes too time consuming and there's other things I want to play/do right now. Yeah I can spend a half hour each day managing Garrison missions and probably make enough gold off that to sustain a sub without going into the red, but even that is a quite a bit of time that adds up.

There is currently a daily Apexis quest on the PTR. There are five designated areas within the zone, and one gets randomly chosen to be active that day. The gameplay is identical to the current Apexis stuff, though, blue bar filling.

You also earn oil there, for the shipyard.

Oh boy, more apexis farming.

Top Bottom