• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Robin64

Is there going to be a new use for Apexis? I have 40k on my main and as far as I know, I can only buy mounts and a stupid amount of gear with stats I don't want or use it for my bonus roll token.

Some of the questlines for Jewelcrafters to craft epic gems wiil require them. So that's.. something.. I guess?

Also, going to be fun for JCers to collect all the +75 gem recipes..

Versatility: End of the intro questline, 1000 Apexis Crystals.
Crit: Dropped by Iskar in Hellfire Citadel raid.
Haste: Dropped by Viryx in Mythic Skyreach
Mastery: Requires rank 6 in Brawler's Guild, sold for 800g
Multistrike: Sold for 3000g plus 3000 Apexis Crystals.
Stamina: Dropped by Rukhmar.

Some of the questlines for Jewelcrafters to craft epic gems wiil require them. So that's.. something.. I guess?

Well people wanted TBC style raiding back. Good fucking job. :( wtf@ mastery coming from Brawler's Guild. They might as well make Crit come from Pet Brawling and Multistrike from Darkmoon Faire.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Versatility - Easy
Crit - Eh, maybe easy?
Haste - Probably not too terrible.
Mastery - Fairly Easy
Multistrike - Easiest.
Stamina - Easy, but yawn at having to do a world boss

Guess its a good thing my main is also my JC. Sucks major balls that the 2 I want (crit/mastery) will suck ass to get. I haven't touched the BG and I have almost no time to raid. Hopefully it drops in LFR.

ZenaxPure

Can pretty easily hit rank 6 in the Brawler's Guild around ilvl 635-640ish. The WoD incarnation of the feature was made a lot easier than the MoP one. Most of the challenging fights were taken out and stuck in challenge cards and the general dps requirements were made with the very start of the expansion in mind.

My JC also happens to be my second character I went through the guild on so works out well for me I guess.

The more I think about it, for such a good leveling experience, the Draenor zones sure go to waste at 100. Unlike other expansions, there's nothing to do in them content-wise at max level. Really quite a shame.

So, I'm thinking about starting fresh. Nearly completely.

No heirlooms, new server, etc.

Do you guys think that it's worth resubbing and starting fresh? Last time I played was before patch 6.1

The more I think about it, for such a good leveling experience, the Draenor zones sure go to waste at 100. Unlike other expansions, there's nothing to do in them content-wise at max level. Really quite a shame.

"We have heard player voices and have scaled back or completely removed daily quest hubs in WoD."

They listen to the wrong people every expansion it seems. Only reason I leave my garrison is to raid and grind out work orders for my barn.

So, I'm thinking about starting fresh. Nearly completely.

No heirlooms, new server, etc.

Do you guys think that it's worth resubbing and starting fresh? Last time I played was before patch 6.1

I wouldn't do it. If your aim is to experience the 1-90 leveling experience fresh, you'll have a decent time as long as you stay out of dungeons. 1-85 five mans are pure fuckery now, absolutely no party dynamics in play while 2 people outrun the group soloing everything in their enchanted heirlooms.

New PTR patch has a garrison mission for a Poundfist reskin.

Also, the Mythic final boss drop mount rom Hellfire Citadel is pretty damn good looking: Felsteel Annihilator (view in 3D)

"We have heard player voices and have scaled back or completely removed daily quest hubs in WoD."

They listen to the wrong people every expansion it seems. Only reason I leave my garrison is to raid and grind out work orders for my barn.

I mean, they're not wrong. But it's like they go from 100 to 0 and back instead of just easing off the throttle with design decisions. The overabundance of 5.0 dailies burnt me out on the game before 5.1 even released, yeah. It was fucking insane if you tried to do them all, easily 1-2 hours/day for JUST dailies. But that doesn't mean I don't want ANY dailies/non-grind reputations. And the apexis crystal ones are complete unfun shit, never bothered past the first couple weeks when it turned out that they were worthless.

Robin64

5.0 was too many dailies, but 5.1 was just right, especially with how you got a bonus quest every so often to move along the story too. Most people I know really liked 5.1.

Tarazet

Me and my girlfriend started farming Raven Lord. Dropped for us on the 1st and 4th try :).
It's all RNG.

Got it after over 150 attempts on my 11 alts. Then I went into Firelands on my main for the second time ever and got the mount off of Alysrazor about 30 minutes later.

Tacitus_

Guess its a good thing my main is also my JC. Sucks major balls that the 2 I want (crit/mastery) will suck ass to get. I haven't touched the BG and I have almost no time to raid. Hopefully it drops in LFR.

Mastery will be easy as fuck to get with current gear. It just requires a bit of time.

ZenaxPure

New PTR patch has a garrison mission for a Poundfist reskin.

I mean, they're not wrong. But it's like they go from 100 to 0 and back instead of just easing off the throttle with design decisions. The overabundance of 5.0 dailies burnt me out on the game before 5.1 even released, yeah. It was fucking insane if you tried to do them all, easily 1-2 hours/day for JUST dailies. But that doesn't mean I don't want ANY dailies/non-grind reputations. And the apexis crystal ones are complete unfun shit, never bothered past the first couple weeks when it turned out that they were worthless.

I like that the model for that Gronn mount has an adorable little helmet. I look forward to owning him.

But yeah, as for the 5.0 stuff I personally just disliked the double gating and all that. I don't really see any problem with having a ton of daily hubs as long as they are all optional when it comes to gear. I'm more interested in dailies as a way for them to inject story/a sense of place into the game and as an opportunity to experiment with weird ideas (which they did with 5.0 dailies from the whole friendship/farm system at the Tillers to the bodyguard stuff at the Shado-pan though I don't think the Shado-pan stuff worked out well because of the terrible AI, but, I like the idea). Apexis dailies suck shit at both of those things on top of most of them being poorly designed and some of them fairly buggy still 6 months into the expansion.

I always use Lost Veil Anzu to trigger botani invasions (as they are by and far the easiest invasion) each week and the amount of mobs that are still evade bugged in that zone is utterly ridiculous.

kiguel182

Hi everyone!

So, I always wanted to get into WoW to scratch my MMO itch but the sub price always put me off of it. I don't want to be super hardcore in it so 15 euros a month is a bit no-no.

Now, looking at this token system it could be a good alternative to paying the monthly sub but, honestly, how viable it is to just buy tokens with in game gold? How much one needs to play and at what level to every month being able to pay for the game like this?

Robin64

Now, looking at this token system it could be a good alternative to paying the monthly sub but, honestly, how viable it is to just buy tokens with in game gold? How much one needs to play and at what level to every month being able to pay for the game like this?

Honestly, you need to first get to level 100 and then be fairly active with your Garrison, maybe even with the help of other level 100 alts you have. It will take a while for a new player to get to the point of paying with gold, I think.

kiguel182

Honestly, you need to first get to level 100 and then be fairly active with your Garrison, maybe even with the help of other level 100 alts you have. It will take a while for a new player to get to the point of paying with gold, I think.

Hmm. It seems I shouldn't hope to get into WoW then. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hmm. It seems I shouldn't hope to get into WoW then. Oh well. Thanks for the info!

I only have two lvl 100s with 25 followers at ilvl 675. With one or two of them with Treasure Hunter(boost gold rewards by 100%). Doing Garrison missions takes a few mins only. I use my ressources to buy Draenic Dusts from the Trading Post garrison building when they're at 4-5 ressources each, which can sell for 900-1k gold for a stack of 200. I use my Primal Spirits to buy Savage blood, which goes between 220-250g each for my server. The only other thing I do with my characters is running old raids.

With all of the above, making 20k gold(the usual low price for WoW tokens in NA) in less than month is fairly easy. You don't need 5-6 lvl 100 alts with Garrisons filled with ilvl 675 epic followers and 3 Treasure Hunters to make this viable.

The only thing I fear is that this isn't going to be this easy on the next expansion, unless people really want to "waste" their time going back to Draenor everyday for Garrison missions. But with the Garrison Hearthstone, I suppose it will be a minor inconvenience.

Tenebrous

Just need level 2 Garrison on alts (roughly level 91/92) for the trading post and heyo, gold is as easy as logging in every few days to collect Garrison resources.

Surprised the tokens are still 40k in EU, though!

ZenaxPure

With all of the above, making 20k gold(the usual low price for WoW tokens in NA) in less than month is fairly easy. You don't need 5-6 lvl 100 alts with Garrisons filled with ilvl 675 epic followers and 3 Treasure Hunters to make this viable.

Well he said euros so I presume that means he would be playing there which is more like 35k per token or so which is a bit of a bump up. But I think your point still stands. You don't need an army of alts to actually pay for the game month to month, when you get into 5-6 alt territory you're making enough gold to buy an entire year of tokens in a single month (though that would be more like 6 months for EU I guess).

I think it is a question that is hard to answer regardless though, his post made it sound like he has no experience with the game at all. Experience is a pretty major factor in getting things going which means there will be a learning curve as he tries to figure out all the systems in the game.

Bisnic

Well he said euros so I presume that means he would be playing there which is more like 35k per token or so which is a bit of a bump up. But I think your point still stands. You don't need an army of alts to actually pay for the game month to month, when you get into 5-6 alt territory you're making enough gold to buy an entire year of tokens in a single month (though that would be more like 6 months for EU I guess).

I think it is a question that is hard to answer regardless though, his post made it sound like he has no experience with the game at all. Experience is a pretty major factor in getting things going which means there will be a learning curve as he tries to figure out all the systems in the game.

Oh, i didn't notice the euros part. But yeah, you're right. Making gold is easy when you're a veteran player, a newcomer though...

Robin64

Oh, i didn't notice the euros part. But yeah, you're right. Making gold is easy when you're a veteran player, a newcomer though...

Right, I wouldn't expect a newcomer to be making gold for a while.

I think most people here could take a fresh account and have it doing so within a few weeks, absolutely.

I have 4 100s. I have a level 3 barn on 3 of them. It takes 1 hour/week to farm enough mats to last the week for all 3 characters. I do garrison missions and sell item upgrade tokens and make 25k+ a week without even trying. I also am running some older raids for mounts, so that adds to the gold piles.

With 2 100s and playing a few hours a week, if that, you can easily play for free. Hell, it takes me a bit over an hour to run firelands and dragon souls 25H. That alone nets me 20k a month from just one 100.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I have 4 100s. I have a level 3 barn on 3 of them. It takes 1 hour/week to farm enough mats to last the week for all 3 characters. I do garrison missions and sell item upgrade tokens and make 25k+ a week without even trying. I also am running some older raids for mounts, so that adds to the gold piles.

With 2 100s and playing a few hours a week, if that, you can easily play for free. Hell, it takes me a bit over an hour to run firelands and dragon souls 25H. That alone nets me 20k a month from just one 100.

This is my goal.

Bisnic

I thought these were soulbound and only worth a couple of gold each with a vendor, unless i'm mistaken??

ZenaxPure

I thought these were soulbound and only worth a couple of gold each with a vendor, unless i'm mistaken??

It adds up considering how many of them you get without trying. A stack of green tokens vendors for 100g, the epic ones are closer to 200g. When you don't need to upgrade followers anymore it's just free gold.

Robin64

WoW now at 7.1m subs.

mynhBDL.png

Alex

Not really surprising, the expansion started off fairly strong but ran out of steam fast.

6.2 looks pretty decent but it's largely a bunch of content that should have been in awhile ago, not much really exciting for where we are now.

Getting their moneys worth with that new wolf model huh?

They've recycled all of the new creature/mount models a half dozen times over, it feels like. Which is fine, I guess, but sort of annoying when it's attached to these lavish prices like it's something special.

I keep hoping, one day, they'll address how ridiculous equipment visuals are, I mean we haven't even seen a new robe since the still singular original in 2004 they keep slathering new, overly busy textures on or cutting small pieces out of. I remember having a giggle when Dragon Quest IX came out on the DS and had far more elaborate robes in it than Warcraft... that was six years ago. Blizzard seems absolutely allergic to spending money on assets at this point.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I dunno. 7m+ subs still seems pretty damn good.

10m+ is better.

I don't think anyone would ever dare attempt to spin losing 30% of your customer base over a 3 month period and still having some left as a good thing.

As far as they are concerned, WoW will be down to 1m~ subs in Oct unless they do something to stymie the loss of subs.

WoD is clearly a failure, they really didn't realize why those 3m people came back. What a fluke.

I dunno. 7m+ subs still seems pretty damn good.

You don't want that much volatility in what should be a stable earner for a AAA publisher.

As far as they are concerned, WoW will be down to 1m~ subs in Oct unless they do something to stymie the loss of subs.

I suspect the die-hard fans of the game outnumber 1m. I'd think the number would be closer to 4 or 5 mil who would just play (or keep paying for) WoW until it shut off. Any lower than that and I'd take that as a sign that MMOs as a genre are contracting towards niche status.

Sorry, I meant for crafting, the 640-685 items. My last 2 670-685 tailoring tokens went for about 13k each. It takes very little time to farm the mats and make these. If you are a JC or BS, its even easier since you don't have to leave the garrison to farm ore.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You don't want that much volatility in what should be a stable earner for a AAA publisher.

I suspect the die-hard fans of the game outnumber 1m. I'd think the number would be closer to 4 or 5 mil who would just play (or keep paying for) WoW until it shut off. Any lower than that and I'd take that as a sign that MMOs as a genre are contracting towards niche status.

Just common sense and stuff like that, yeah obviously the game won't just mechanically go down 1 million subs a month for the next 7 months.

But they (investors) don't...really take that into consideration. They don't really care why people play the game. They only look at the numbers.

HotS comes out June 2nd...I imagine they aren't happy with WoW dropping like that but I also imagine they aren't too worried yet.

Top Bottom