• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Tacitus_

we're good at wow
k2u5rE0.jpg

The persons alive at the kill: me, the warlock and our tank monk.

lazygecko

Did WoW armors always have set bonuses, or is that new?

Set bonuses were even more commonplace back in vanilla. There were several blue sets that were either part of regular dungeons or player-crafted. Like the Defias set in Deadmines and the Dragonscale sets for leatherworking. There were also things like dual weapons that had set bonuses when wielded together.

Set bonuses were even more commonplace back in vanilla. There were several blue sets that were either part of regular dungeons or player-crafted. Like the Defias set in Deadmines and the Dragonscale sets for leatherworking. There were also things like dual weapons that had set bonuses when wielded together.

Vanilla also had the concept of jewelry that were part of 2 item sets. Amulet and ring, or ring and trinket. And then they went insane with the 2,4,6,8 piece bonuses on vanilla tier gear. Glad that shit's gone.

ZenaxPure

I only have the Steamwheedle guys and that's it. All the other ones? Fuck off with that grind after revered.

I thought the Steamwheedle and the Ashran reps were alright. Both were pretty fast and it was more than just kill nameless mobs at 5 rep a pop. Arrakoa is just dumb because you can complete the entire thing from follower missions if you have a bunch of alts (or wait a few months on your main). Trading post rep Alliance side is really fast but it's a huge bore. Basically amounts to heading over to the path of glory and mashing your aoe button(s) for about 1-2 hours depending on your dps. Exarch/Frostwolves are the ones I'd consider downright terrible, quests will only get you to around revered and then it's just grinding. It actually took me about the same amount of time to grind through revered for Exarchs as it did to go from neutral to exalted with the trading post rep, was pretty dumb.

ampere

The persons alive at the kill: me, the warlock and our tank monk.

A few weeks back we had a pull go wrong and I was the only one left alive (Brewmaster), thought I could finish him off when he had less than 1M left... then he enraged and hit me for 3M

Tacitus_

A few weeks back we had a pull go wrong and I was the only one left alive (Brewmaster), thought I could finish him off when he had less than 1M left... then he enraged and hit me for 3M

We had maybe half of our raid dead for the final pillar phase so we couldn't get enough of them down to keep them alive until the boss died. So we two got bops and killed the boss from maybe 2M to dead.

Best kill ever.

Guys I want to try out this Token thing. I mean it would be nice for me to be able to play for "free" with an hour or two of "work" every week.

So I wanted to pay for one month and than do my best to grind for a few tokens. So how would I do it most efficiently ?

I have a druid at 100 with a few epic followers (don't remember). I wanted to level a 90 Pally to 100 as well and experience most of the old soloable content.

So what should I do so I can earn enough money for one-two tokens every month?

Guys I want to try out this Token thing. I mean it would be nice for me to be able to play for "free" with an hour or two of "work" every week.

So I wanted to pay for one month and than do my best to grind for a few tokens. So how would I do it most efficiently ?

I have a druid at 100 with a few epic followers (don't remember). I wanted to level a 90 Pally to 100 as well and experience most of the old soloable content.

So what should I do so I can earn enough money for one-two tokens every month?
What is your ilvl? You need 650 or so to do Cata 25H raids. If you are at that, then running Firelands and DS nets you about 20k/month per character. If you cant do heroic, do 25 normal since the bosses drop a ton of gear that vendors for a lot. Also get a level 3 inn and recruit followers with the treasure finder (100% more gold) trait. You will get a lot of gold missions and can make a couple 1,000/week just running missions. I also have a level 3 barn going to make savage bloods that I either sell or use to make 640-685 upgrade tokens. Ive been playing maybe 3-4 hours a week and make 50k+ a week without really trying too hard.

Interesting about garrison stuff as my ilvl is 619 eek:

Any more info about those savage bloods? Any way of concentrating on garrison and making money?

ZenaxPure

I can't be the only player who likes archaeology.

I like all the stuff surrounding archaeology (items you get, lore entries in your journal, your mini-museum in MoP/WoD) I just don't find actually doing it very interesting. I have no idea how they could make the gathering aspect more fun (as I am someone who also dislikes all gathering professions anyway) but I don't really want to see it gone. That said I have not done it at all this expansion once I hit the new cap because fuck doing it without flying.

Renekton

Time for some subjective positivity. BRF is one of the most polished raids I have ever experienced. Good art, tuning, encounter design, from LFR-friendly to Mythic-punishing, and feels epic to boot. All while being a guildless pugger :)

(edit: have not tried Mythic, just taking friend comments at face value)

Interesting about garrison stuff as my ilvl is 619 eek:

Any more info about those savage bloods? Any way of concentrating on garrison and making money?

You get savage blood from trapping elite beasts in Nagrand. You can (and is recommended)do it in a 5 person group. It goes insanely quick. It takes 15-20 minutes to get all the beasts you need for a week per person. I have 2 tailors to use the fur and sell things on the AH. I sell off the excess savage blood.

The best way to concentrate on making money with mission is by getting a level 3 inn. This opens up "lucrative" quests that give 100-150g each. Use the treasure hunter trait to double or triple that. Sometimes a 225 of 500g missions comes along. You can hire followers from the Inn that have the treasure hunter trait.

ZenaxPure

Level 3 Tavern unlocked. Better be worth cause it cost 3k just for the blueprint and upgrade cost on my only 2 100s.

It pays itself off pretty fast assuming you have treasure hunters. It has close to 20 unique missions and around half of those have slots for 2 followers (which is where stacking treasure hunter comes in). The best quest gives 150g base with 3 follower slots and it shows up at least once a week, might be more but I honestly haven't really kept track of it.

Tacitus_

These type of first kills are the best. I still remember kiting Archimonde as a rogue because someone screwed up and at ~15% only 6 or so raid members were left alive.

It was our third kill, people just got stupid after he frenzied which lead to them dying.

JesseZao

I posted this in the 7.1 sub news thread, but was curious of your reactions here.

Not that Blizz-Acti need help making money, but I think they should go the value add route for their WoW sub. Change it to a general Blizzard subscription called Blizzard Premium or something. They could even have different tiers like Silver/Gold/Platinum.

Say they have two tiers, Silver and Gold.

Silver
-- $9.99/month
-- WoW account active on the weekends
-- 2 Hearthstone packs
-- $2 in real-money currency for both HotS and Overwatch store

Gold
-- $14.99/month
-- Active WoW account
-- 5 HS packs
-- $5 in-game currency for HotS and Overwatch.

(Platinum could have preferred access to betas plus free access to Diablo & SC2 with all expansions on weekends in addition to more in-game loot)

I think it would be a good idea since it would support all of their line-ups and encourage investment in each property. I know I'd be at least a Silver sub, if not gold. It takes the pressure of playing WoW while subbed so people that are casual players would be more likely to stay subscribed since they get other benefits.

Think they'll announce anything like this at Blizzcon?

They would have to rework the token to apply to your Bnet account instead of just WoW, but that sounds pretty cool. I don't know how much Id play the other games, but it would encourage me to dabble in them once in a while.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I posted this in the 7.1 sub news thread, but was curious of your reactions here.

i dont think its economically smart from a consumer standpoint as you laid it out, also the lower tier is way too high in price since wow only on the weekends is a joke

i can see maybe a general subscription type thing, but more that it is going to be 20 or 30 dollars a month and you get hearthstone and in-game credit. that seems more feasible for blizzard to endorse and people will jump on that.

Depends on what the Overwatch business model will be (obviously not sub-based - hats?). Had Titan come out as another MMO, I think a general Blizzard subscription would have made a lot of sense.

But I could definitely see them having a more expensive "value" tier for WoW that gets you perks in their other games, as described. Maybe even a cheaper tier or expansion of what is "free".

I would also recommend they study CCP who has transitioned to a rapid release cycle of patches every 6 weeks or so. It's an interesting case. They're not all filled with "content" per se, but the entirety of 6.1 would qualify as a "small" release for EVE Online. Though you could say it's hard to replicate for WoW since EVE is a sandbox and "major content" there doesn't necessarily require the sheer development resources that a raid release patch for WoW would. But a man can dream.

----

In other news, it seems that there's a new item dupe floating around that hasn't been fixed yet which has driven otherwise expensive/rare mount prices down significantly. Been seeing things well below their normal expected values - e.g. Swift Spectrals in the 300k range, Onyx Panthers at 19k, etc. I'd be wary of buying any of those now, especially if you attempt to pick them up with the intent of reselling them.

JesseZao

i dont think its economically smart from a consumer standpoint as you laid it out, also the lower tier is way too high in price since wow only on the weekends is a joke

i can see maybe a general subscription type thing, but more that it is going to be 20 or 30 dollars a month and you get hearthstone and in-game credit. that seems more feasible for blizzard to endorse and people will jump on that.

I guess I was approaching this from the POV that they want to attract more people to products they wouldn't otherwise check out. The WoW on weekends would allow casual play and the other perk would encourage the players to check out their other games. I don't currently sub to WoW because I don't/wouldn't play it enough. I'd maybe check it out every once and a while if I had that option. I'd prefer that it'd allow X hours per month, but I think they'd have tried that in the western market already if they wanted that.

It's quite possible I'm being to generous, but I don't think they'll gain more subs by raising the price.

Carbon, come play Marvel Heroes with me until Eye of Ogreshara is released.

lol. Getting back into Dota 2 a bit which replaces MMO time for me. Though right now I'm kind of crazy with that, active EVE accounts, and WoW (this month with token). Besides the Skyrim modding which I got into and need to get back to + whatever else. Was gonna go in on The Witcher 3, but then I found out my graphics card is slightly below min spec, so I can wait awhile for that. I've been neglecting my EVE too, but since you still progress while offline, it's not a big deal. I do need to play a minimum amount each month to at least pay for my alt account with PLEX there though. Definitely within a month or two. It's just hard to find time for that since I only like to do the money-making incursions(raids) in the morning, so if I don't wake up early enough I just don't play.

Source

What were your people's feelings on the WoW token? I'm torn right now. On one hand, I hate that this was added to the game, it feels so cheap. On the other hand, I'm tempted to buy and sell one so I can purchase heirlooms and level a new character and have all that left over gold...which is a cheap thing to do.

hkATL.gif

ZenaxPure

What were your people's feelings on the WoW token? I'm torn right now. On one hand, I hate that this was added to the game, it feels so cheap. On the other hand, I'm tempted to buy and sell one so I can purchase heirlooms and level a new character and have all that left over gold...which is a cheap thing to do.

I find it hard to be upset by it for 2 pretty major reasons, the first being that Warlords pretty much throws gold at you for very little effort and the other being that since gold is 90% used for vanity or convenience it avoids turning the game into pay to win or anything like that.

Personally being on the side of the token where I can fund my sub forever without ever paying real money again I absolutely love the thing.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I can buy enough game time to play until 2018 at this point, but I don't even feel the urge to...

I'm hoping they expand on this and let us just buy B.Net money with it. I want to buy some race changes, and buying Legacy of the Void would be cool too =p. It would also essentially make all the store mounts cost gold, I would really really welcome that.

But if (when) there is another gap after HFC like there was for SoO/DS/ICC...I won't even bother playing this game for "free". WoD is absolute lies and disrespect at this point.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Finals are done, and I started up playing again tonight. Feels good man.

Spent a chunk of gold on heirlooms and then started over on Emerald Dream. Enjoying it so far. If any of you are on that server let me know.

Oh man, just watched my old raid team for a bit. Makes me miss some of those voices. But I don't know if I could do the schedule. Maybe for 6.2 - they're neck deep in the tier right now and I wouldn't be very useful for like a month if I tried to catchup now, even starting at 667/671 iLvl. Not even gear necessarily, but just learning the fights and how to operate at a high level of play again. So rusty, and I wasn't handling the WoD changes well in the first place.

Touchdown

Banned
Oh man, just watched my old raid team for a bit. Makes me miss some of those voices. But I don't know if I could do the schedule. Maybe for 6.2 - they're neck deep in the tier right now and I wouldn't be very useful for like a month if I tried to catchup now, even starting at 667/671 iLvl. Not even gear necessarily, but just learning the fights and how to operate at a high level of play again. So rusty, and I wasn't handling the WoD changes well in the first place.

I'd say if you want to return, just wait till 6.2. It'll give you some time to get back into the swing of things and raids always lose/gain members in between tiers/patches so it will probably be easier to jump back in at a later point

Robin64

May 13th for the Mystic Runesaber. In-game shop, of course.

And reaching level 20 in Heroes of the Storm will get you the Graves pet in World of Warcraft.

Some other cross-game promotions...

Reaching level 100 in WoW gets you the Dire Wolf mount in HotS.

Reaching level 12 in HotS gets you a card back for Hearthstone.

Winning 100 Hearthstone games gets you a Hearthstone Card mount in HotS.

Someone *cough* should power level my 50 monk through to Outland and maybe beyond with my elixirs of ancient knowledge. Just need a 100, a two-seater flying mount, and an hour or two of your time.

In other news, I'm at like 14k gold earned since Tuesday, pretty much all from garrison and what little bit of questing/other things I did casually. Haven't even touched my professions or the AH (and I'm not in the mood to). I mean I knew I could play indefinitely anyway, but damn. Doesn't mean I'll necessarily drop the gold during barren times if I won't be playing, but yeah.

ZenaxPure

In other news, I'm at like 14k gold earned since Tuesday, pretty much all from garrison and what little bit of questing/other things I did casually. Haven't even touched my professions or the AH (and I'm not in the mood to). I mean I knew I could play indefinitely anyway, but damn. Doesn't mean I'll necessarily drop the gold during barren times if I won't be playing, but yeah.

Yep, garrison gold is so real. I think I am on track to make around 80k this week. Harrison RNG ended up screwing me from making more, the quest I needed to get him on 4 different characters has not shown up at all since sometime last week. Whoever thought it was a good idea to program it so those quests show up in a random order instead of sequential order should probably be fired.

Really makes a huge difference when the weekly treasure hunter you recruit from the inn can be leveled to max in like 2 days of casual follower missions instead of like 5-6.

Someone *cough* should power level my 50 monk through to Outland and maybe beyond with my elixirs of ancient knowledge. Just need a 100, a two-seater flying mount, and an hour or two of your time.

What is it about level 50+ that makes the levelling grind such a chore? So strange that for all the effort they put into 1-60 for cata that those last 8-10 levels feel so bad and poorly paced.

Top Bottom