• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

What is it about level 50+ that makes the levelling grind such a chore? So strange that for all the effort they put into 1-60 for cata that those last 8-10 levels feel so bad and poorly paced.

I dunno. The zones themselves aren't that bad. It just streeeeeetcheees. Though I am sick of the revamped Blasted Lands at this point. All the going into caves bullshit.

strafer

There was a time when I couldn't wait to get to Outland, and then Northrend.

Now I'm pretty sick of Outland. Northrend is still a blast to level through though.

lazygecko

Now I'm pretty sick of Outland. Northrend is still a blast to level through though.

The more your questing pace is controlled and gated through stuff like scripted events and mobs that don't give experience, the less I like repeating them. This starts with Northrend and pretty much gets worse for each expansion.

Outland still mostly abides by vanilla design principles, and there I'm free the blast through quests at lightning pace if I want to. The same can't be said for the rest thanks to all the arbitrary barriers put in place and that's immensely frustrating when the story behind the quests themselves no longer hold any novelty.

This is also one thing that's keeping me from maxing out all my alts because I'm already absolutely sick of the overscripted Draenor intro questline you're required to complete to enter the expansion proper.

Robin64

At one point they mentioned altering the leveling curves of both Outland and Northrend to both be 60 to 80 content, and you could pick which you do. Of course, that never happened, and I wouldn't expect it ever to with the current WoW development problems.

The thing I like about Outland (and to a lesser extent Northrend, though I'm more sick of that) is the options for zones/quests. You can go straight to Zangarmarsh if you want to. And pick and choose for others since there's lots of overlap.

Cataclysm onward it's a pretty rigid progression with more limited choices if any. WoD is probably the worst offender right now. Mists was pretty bad too but from what I understand is over very quickly now.

ZenaxPure

Cataclysm onward it's a pretty rigid progression with more limited choices if any. WoD is probably the worst offender right now. Mists was pretty bad too but from what I understand is over very quickly now.

This actually isn't really the case anymore. You will see it as you level up another character but in 6.0 they seemed to have re-tooled how XP works dramatically. Quests within a given expansion all pretty much give the exact amount of XP now so there is no longer any pressure to move from one zone to the next for the huge XP gain. It's a bit more... sanbox-like in that you can just quest in whatever zone you want in that expansion and do good. Because the other thing they changed is that the amount of XP you need to level up to max is so freaking low now. Over the past couple of months I've leveled 3 characters from level 1 to 100 and I took pretty different paths in every single expansion except Cata (because Hyjal is insanely fast and gets you almost to level 85 on its own).

To give you an idea of that my last 2 characters who went through Mists was something like this. Character 1: Half of Jade Forest -> Half of Kun-Lai to reach 90. Character 2: Opening quest chain to attack the opposing faction base in Jade Forest (as this quick quest chain gives a whole level typically) -> All of Krasarang -> Grummlepack quest chain to hit 90. That is without any dungeons or xp potions as well as I didn't want to bother with those things. My third character did do dungeons which made things even more jokes obviously.

lazygecko

The new exp system is pretty weird and I haven't managed to wrap my head around the logic behind it. The only thing I understand is that the amount of experience and gains per level is now much more linear across 1-100 than before when it was more exponential across expansion ranges.

This was my experience from leveling up a character last December:

Like, experience from quest rewards on a certain level could be around 13k, but the level after that it suddenly shoots up and becomes a lot more. And on the level after that, it might be even lower than the amount you had 2 levels earlier.

What's even more perplexing is that I tried abandoning a quest from my log that I had gotten 1 level earlier. The exp reward was around 12. So when I abandoned it and retook it on the next level, the exp reward suddenly shot up to 17k.

ZenaxPure

The main problem I have with it is that when you hit max level in a given expansion all the quests of that expansion instantly give shit XP. I used to not go to Outland until level 62 or 63 but now you pretty much have to go at level 60 because of how the new system works. Minor in the grand scheme of things, but, fuck Outland basically.

strafer

Blizzcon this year should be really interesting, and see if they bring up the drop at all during the opening.

They need to do something about it

Otherwise I can't see this game make it another 1-2 years.

M.D

Are mailed items lost if you don't collect them within 30 days? I think I lost a whole bunch of transmog items if so

I was raiding every week and playing tons every day, then the same week I renewed my sub I lost interest out of nowhere lol

Are mailed items lost if you don't collect them within 30 days? I think I lost a whole bunch of transmog items if so

I was raiding every week and playing tons every day, then the same week I renewed my sub I lost interest out of nowhere lol

Yeah. You're probably SOL since I don't think you can restore items in the mail.

Yep, garrison gold is so real. I think I am on track to make around 80k this week. Harrison RNG ended up screwing me from making more, the quest I needed to get him on 4 different characters has not shown up at all since sometime last week. Whoever thought it was a good idea to program it so those quests show up in a random order instead of sequential order should probably be fired.

Really makes a huge difference when the weekly treasure hunter you recruit from the inn can be leveled to max in like 2 days of casual follower missions instead of like 5-6.

I'll be resubing soon. What do I need to do to make DAT gold?

ZenaxPure

I'll be resubing soon. What do I need to do to make DAT gold?

Think it's been said like a million times in this thread at this point lol, but, you just run follower missions on multiple characters using followers who have the treasure hunter trait. That it is literally it.

What you "need" to make it work is multiple characters, each character is basically an extra 10k+ gold per week just from missions once you get their followers (specifically the ones with treasure hunter) leveled up.

Just takes time to set up is all, getting alts and followers leveled up can take time but once its going its really not a big deal. I usually log on my alts around 2-3 times a day to do missions, each character takes maybe 2 minutes, usually less. I don't mess with professions or anything on most of them since professions generate such little gold nowadays.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Blizzcon this year should be really interesting, and see if they bring up the drop at all during the opening.

Everquest was considered a giant when it peaked with 500k subs. WoW will be around for a really long time. 7 million is still a crazy high amount of subs. Plus they make huge profits from all the services/cash shop.

With the token and people effectively being able to play for free now, its going to last for many more years. Theres a lot of die hard WoW fans out there.

Renekton

With the token and people effectively being able to play for free now, its going to last for many more years. Theres a lot of die hard WoW fans out there.
That would make sense if WoW income segment starts to look a bit like mobile, maybe allowing the hardcore to play for free to maintain the playerbase to keep cashcow whales interested.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That would make sense if WoW income segment starts to look a bit like mobile, maybe allowing the hardcore to play for free to maintain the playerbase to keep cashcow whales interested.

If WoW went to a more mobile scheme it would bleed users like a lacerated jugular.

3rd 94 in the past weekish. Gorgrond getting boring, lol. I could honestly probably skip most of it with all the rest my alts have, but I need to finish the main quest for the free plans.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Everquest was considered a giant when it peaked with 500k subs. WoW will be around for a really long time. 7 million is still a crazy high amount of subs. Plus they make huge profits from all the services/cash shop.

Continuing to do this shit where they re-skin the same 6 mounts and reserve all the good ones for the store will be them cutting off their nose to spite their face. More people will leave if you can just pay to get the cool mounts instead of actually PLAYING the game to get them. WoW might actually run into that snowballing problem like TOR did where servers started emptying, and then people left because their servers were empty.

Even the mythic mounts are just reskins, the store mounts have better effects than them.

Basically by trying to staunch the wound they just open it, and keep it slightly bleeding, instead of outright fixing the problems.

3rd 94 in the past weekish. Gorgrond getting boring, lol. I could honestly probably skip most of it with all the rest my alts have, but I need to finish the main quest for the free plans.

x5QjxcI.png

Get on my levels. =p

Leveling is the only thing I find fun anymore, but now...

Granadier

They have done that. They're server clusters now, tied together in everything but name. Same AH, same guilds, etc.

Right. What I meant though is removing some of the low pop servers and combining them so that there are fewer servers with empty capital cities.

The cross-realm features were definitely a step in the right direction.

Right. What I meant though is removing some of the low pop servers and combining them so that there are fewer servers with empty capital cities.

The cross-realm features were definitely a step in the right direction.

Cross-realm zones and connected realms are two different things and started at different times. You might want to check this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009

Edit: And to essentially repeat what TheYanger already said they've connected low population realms so you do see each other in capital cities and everything else. They're permanently put together. You'll still see people from connected realms with their realm name included as part of their name but that's the only difference compared to other games when they combine realms. They simply kept the realm names.

Granadier

Cross-realm zones and connected realms are two different things and started at different times. You might want to check this: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/10551009

Edit: And to essentially repeat what TheYanger already said they've connected low population realms so you do see each other in capital cities and everything else. They're permanently put together. You'll still see people from connected realms with their realm name included as part of their name but that's the only difference compared to other games when they combine realms. They simply kept the realm names.

Ahhhh, ok well that was my misunderstanding then. I haven't followed the WoW scene closely enough over the years. Thanks for the links and info.

Is there a group on GAF that has interest in older content that you can't solo(basically MoP raids)? There's a bit of transmog gear that I'd love to get my hands on.

Acidote

So, I guess I wont be paying for WoW ever again. I plan on taking a break as soon as my current subscription lapses and I have 12 tokens in my bags anyways.

Dot50Cal

Banned
I finally got all my characters to 100 and got all their Garrison's up and running. 48ish ban traps farmed every Satuday/Sunday for all 11 characters. Thank god they have the party system now with traps , lol.

Up to 300k now! Crazy Garrison gold. Still holding all bloods and other mats for 6.2. Probably going to buy boosts for CM's, seeing as all my buds have quit :( We ran 9 of my guys through gold CM's in MoP, good times.

Dot50Cal

Banned
That depends on what I'm doing. Usually I have:
1) Daily profession cooldowns
2) Mission table (usually 3 times a day - morning, after work, before bed)
3) Mine and Herb garden (haven't skipped for about 3 weeks but man this is the real time sink)
4) Daily Profession Building Cooldowns (alch pot, scribe receipts, JC daily)
5) Trader on all 11 (invites to others garrisons)
6) Refill work orders on all buildings
7) Harrison Jones Quests for everyone

If I end up doing ALL of these it could easily take up 4 hours or more depending on the HJ quest. The HJ quests are a big time sink but I have him already on 1 character, 8 of them just need 1 quest at this point, so thats a huge amount of time gone soon.

If I do 1~5, it takes around 1:30~2:00 total. Refilling work orders only takes a short amount of time and I only really do it every couple days (2-3 usually).

I could easily cut out the mine at this point, but I *just* bought lvl3 on 3 characters so I feel compelled to at least farm it for a bit, though the benefits are severely lacking at this point. I have around 6,000 ore of each type banked and I'm running out of tab space in my gbank lol.

Besides this, every week I run BRF on my warlock (LFR) for stones, and I play with my guild on our "flex" Monday runs through BRF with my Warrior who just hit this quest point too. Thats about all the enjoyment I have out of the game at the moment. I plan to gear up the alts to run CM's, but thats a ways off still. I may just end up paying for carries (if thats even possible in WoD now) since I'm making so much gold and my CM team from MoP is mostly burnt out.

Fuck you don't even need to bother with profession shit or the mine/garden at this point. Return just isn't there for the time required. I was doing the profs earlier in the expac, but the value is low now and I don't feel like doing them, so I'm not bothering. Just the mission table is enough for me.

One thing that'll be interesting is professions going into next expansion. It'd be the first time I'd likely not have them maxed (at least a lot of them) simply due to the way profession leveling was done this expac. Be weird to have to use catchup mechanisms for such a case.

Dot50Cal

Banned
The professions were making me a ton of money with the trinket upgrades. Maybe it's different on your server, but on mine they are still selling for around 20k.

I have so many raw materials that making daily cooldowns is a non issue and it only takes seconds. I agree with you in the fact that anything else besides upgrade tokens is a non seller,though. But it sounds like you didn't even give the professions a chance with wod, not having them maxed and all.

At launch I was selling upgrade tokens and dmf trinkets for 30-80k a piece. I blew all my gold shortly after on dmf trinkets for all twenty of our raid team and then quit the game from garrison burnout.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The professions were making me a ton of money with the trinket upgrades. Maybe it's different on your server, but on mine they are still selling for around 20k.

I have so many raw materials that making daily cooldowns is a non issue and it only takes seconds. I agree with you in the fact that anything else besides upgrade tokens is a non seller,though. But it sounds like you didn't even give the professions a chance with wod, not having them maxed and all.

At launch I was selling upgrade tokens and dmf trinkets for 30-80k a piece. I blew all my gold shortly after on dmf trinkets for all twenty of our raid team and then quit the game from garrison burnout.
I'll grab a screenshot tomorrow if you care, but once you get Harrison Jones and some treasure hunters from the inn, anything else besides good missions is a waste of time just for gold per hour.

I made 15k today just from Garrison missions. It takes like... 10 minutes give our take with the Master plan add-on. It's ridiculous. I do the prof CDs as well but I'm just gonna sell my mats in 6.2 when people get felblight and want to do item upgrades. I'm not even gonna bother farming the blight myself.

When a blue has to make a lengthy post justifying the legendary ring procs, I can't help but feel that maybe they're really not ideal after all.

It's not a legendary item anymore. It's attunement. If you don't have the latest ring, you have to go back and lfr farm it before a guild will recruit you.

Robin64

It's not a legendary item anymore. It's attunement. If you don't have the latest ring, you have to go back and lfr farm it before a guild will recruit you.

Yeah. They say "Hellfire Citadel isn't tuned around having the ring", but that doesn't matter when the playerbase will take every advantage they can get, of which the ring is definitely one.

I maxed some, or rather was using some, but not all my characters like it was possible to do before when there wasn't so much daily gating. I wasn't exactly clear. And I did make some serious bank from Inscription, but not much else because the cost of the upgrade tokens at the time was higher than anyone would reasonably pay for them. Higher than the BoE world drops which were over abundant. Mainly due to the savage bloods. The economy probably has it all sorted out by now, but I couldn't move anything with bloods involved at a profit. Not even at a break even point. Price of being an early mover I guess, having had a level 3 barn before pretty much anyone else.

That's the short story.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Ah gotcha. Yeah, they did nerf the salvage yard quite heavily. Farming it on 11 characters for 3 weeks now, I haven't gotten a single 665.

Daniel R

6) Refill work orders on all buildings

EDIT: I didn't read your full post and only now saw that you only do it every 2-3 days like I suggest.

There is no need to do this every day. If you have lvl 3 profession buildings you can do it twice a week.
I do it in the evening the day of reset (wednesday for europe) and in the morning the following sunday. That way I keep them constantly churning out work orders.

I also empty my garrison cache at the same time, twice a week when it's built up to 500, which takes about 3,5 days.

That way, my alts don't have to leave the town hall more than twice a week.
I do not use the herb garden or mine, not worth the time vs rewards.

I get more herbs than I can use from the salvage crates, and I buy what little ore I need for my jewelcrafters on the ah.

Lanrutcon

It's all because a bunch of high-profile YouTubers have said that LFR is the reason Blizz just lost 3m subs. Which is kinda ludicrous.

Why remove LFR? they already gimped the shit out of it.

WoW has problems way more severe than some optional tourist 'raid' mode.

ampere

Is there a group on GAF that has interest in older content that you can't solo(basically MoP raids)? There's a bit of transmog gear that I'd love to get my hands on.

You can solo MoP raids :). Just be a tank!

But seriously, you could try making or joining a Group Finder group for this

When a blue has to make a lengthy post justifying the legendary ring procs, I can't help but feel that maybe they're really not ideal after all.

Main problem I see with it is how superior it is for classes with 1 or 2 minute CDs versus 3 minute CDs. Some fights you'll hold it, but often it will probably be used on CD to maximize the number of uses.

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
If anything I would imagine LFR has kept more heavily casual people around. A lot of people like the chance to see the story content that raids offer and get some purple shiny loot.

Also there is no pressure with learning mechanics of the fight and having to find a suitable guild with raid times that fit your schedule.

Top Bottom