• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

Savitar

Reading about how this whole ban thing is a false flag thing is pretty funny. Almost as funny as the guys saying how a guild mate had a thing installed but never used it and was unfairly banned.

So many tears.

I'm making my way through low-level Alliance content for the first time since Wrath. Duskwood used to be my favorite leveling zone but they really gutted the Stalvan and Stitches quest chains. Boo.

Savitar

I'm making my way through low-level Alliance content for the first time since Wrath. Duskwood used to be my favorite leveling zone but they really gutted the Stalvan and Stitches quest chains. Boo.

Cata made the leveling experience so many times faster than it had been before. And that's even without heirlooms. Add those into the mix and it's all kind of a joke in many sense of the word. Sadly the changes and all came at the expense of the world and it actually feeling like a world so people could get max level quicker. The result as you saw changed things.

Cata made the leveling experience so many times faster than it had been before. And that's even without heirlooms. Add those into the mix and it's all kind of a joke in many sense of the word. Sadly the changes and all came at the expense of the world and it actually feeling like a world so people could get max level quicker. The result as you saw changed things.

Yeah, I'm not exactly opposed to how much quicker this is going but it was sad to see my two favorite quest chains get turned into something so mediocre.

Thankfully I'm on a PvP realm so that spices things up.

Tacitus_

Oh wow, one of my guildies got banned for botting. Too bad he was one of our better raiders too >_>

5 of my characters need the Frostfire quest. It has been something like 9 days since it has shown up, 3 days in a row it was the Gorgrond quest last week. Like I said last time, whoever programmed that shit needs to be fired. There is no reason for it to not just cycle through the 6 quests in a row and then start over each 6 days.

I've been missing the Frostfire quest for over a month now. Fucking annoying.

ZenaxPure

I've been missing the Frostfire quest for over a month now. Fucking annoying.

Now that I think about it I guess it's been longer than 9 (at a minimum) days since it last appeared. I've only been paying close attention to it for the past week (since it is the last one I need) but it obviously didn't pop up while I was doing the other quests which took a week or so. Been at least a couple of weeks.

Makes me wonder if there is a spreadsheet out there somewhere tracking it. I'm really curious the last time it actually appeared on NA realms.

TheYanger

No that's not what they said. They just said their revenue was just more stable than their sub #s, and that it partially offset subscriber declines,

Which doesn't really say anything at all, and the wording makes it seem that it didn't off set sub loss $$ that much at all.

But it wasn't a banwave, it was a suspension wave, they'll be back in 6 months and bot makes would have figured out how blizz detected them and in the end it'll be the same.

Trust me, in 6 months everyone that got suspended is not going to be back and actively botting. 6 months is a long time for people to get scared off. The actual botters that don't care about their accounts being banned or not were never going to be scared away (and never could).

A lot of the high end raiding scene got pretty decimated :3

ampere

Trust me, in 6 months everyone that got suspended is not going to be back and actively botting. 6 months is a long time for people to get scared off. The actual botters that don't care about their accounts being banned or not were never going to be scared away (and never could).

A lot of the high end raiding scene got pretty decimated :3

Really hoping none out our raiders got banned... we probably only have a few weeks to get Blackhand, could be totally fucked if we lose a few people now. I know a few of them have botted Diablo at least.

So I decided to run some heroic BRF (pug) last night and managed to get Gar'an's Brutal Spearlauncher. Holy crap does the heroic version look so much nicer than the normal. When the normal one dropped for my guild last week, I was very meh. Now I think I'll actually keep it unmogged for a bit.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Been hoping that Blizzard is gonna add back the console variable "baseMip" (controls texture resolution). It went missing in 6.1 for some reason, and I haven't been able to get answer as to why. I submitted it on the PTR as a suggestion for something to add, hopefully someone will take a look at it. Upsampling helps performance in raids for me, but baseMip would increase performance, and visual clarity, even more.

In other news, I noticed that in the latest 6.2 build (20008) the courtyard of Hellfire Citadel no longer features the Worldbreaker tank (the large thing you disable in the opening event in Tanaan Jungle). Now more generic tanks populate that area. It looked like this in an earlier build:

wod-tanaan_2fjavr.png

Is it better to get the level 2 salvage yard or level 2 inn first? i'm a bit overwhelmed by this whole garrison leveling processes.

Inn, so you can start recruiting treasure hunters.

Anyway, Smoldering Egg of Millagazor up on my BMAH, currently cheap. Firelands is easy to farm, but if I can get it for a low price (<100k) might be worth buying. I have the purple one, but it just doesn't look as good.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Is it better to get the level 2 salvage yard or level 2 inn first? i'm a bit overwhelmed by this whole garrison leveling processes.

Neither of those are really related to each other, they do totally different things.

The most efficient garrison is Trading post, Inn, Barracks, Bunker/War Mill, 2 profession buildings and Salvage yard.

Trading post gives you garrison resources for herbs/ore/fish and speeds up the process, I usually get that first.

Inn, so you can start recruiting treasure hunters.

Anyway, Smoldering Egg of Millagazor up on my BMAH, currently cheap. Firelands is easy to farm, but if I can get it for a low price (<100k) might be worth buying. I have the purple one, but it just doesn't look as good.
Neither of those are really related to each other, they do totally different things.

The most efficient garrison is Trading post, Inn, Barracks, Bunker/War Mill, 2 profession buildings and Salvage yard.

Trading post gives you garrison resources for herbs/ore/fish and speeds up the process, I usually get that first.
Thanks. I went with the inn. At level 99 at the moment, so I'm close to level 3 town hall and being able to fit everything in.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Salvage Yard 3 is pretty good once you get lvl 100 missions. Guaranteed to get a box of goodies, which can contains vendor trash, mats, greens, blues and epics of all lvls, followers weapon and armor upgrades. I always send my followers on lvl 100 missions, even if the XP is useless. Gotta get that box.

Bisnic

Was Flame Leviathan 25man health nerfed recently? It used to take me all 10 of my pyrite barrels + some extra normal shots to kill it now it dies before I even use half of them.

Was Flame Leviathan 25man health nerfed recently? It used to take me all 10 of my pyrite barrels + some extra normal shots to kill it now it dies before I even use half of them.

Probably affected by the scaling vehicle changes they did awhile back that allowed you to essentially one shot gunboat in ICC instead of having to do the whole rigmarole.

Bisnic

Probably affected by the scaling vehicle changes they did awhile back that allowed you to essentially one shot gunboat in ICC instead of having to do the whole rigmarole.

Yeah, but up until 2 weeks ago, Flame Leviathan wasn't dying that fast. The boat in ICC though, I've been able to finish the fight before it even starts for months.

Alex

Those vehicles scale with your equipment.

Edit: Oop, someone else said.

Renekton

I don't understand... why high-end raiders need to bot?

It seems like Garrison will provide the income you need to keep going.

(edit: nvm saw Laugh's post)

Alex

It seems like Garrison will provide the income you need to keep going.

(edit: nvm saw Laugh's post)

Tedium, probably. Often when I burn out it's in part because I'm tired of doing elaborate, static rotations for 3-4 hours in a raid past the point I'm comfortable with. It's tiring and boring. This is part of the reason I try to play more restrained classes nowadays, though. Although I admit I sort of crutched on WeakAura strings this expansion.

Nowadays I just don't stick around. When we dropped Heroic Blackhand, I was done. Seen enough and all non-raid content is lousy, IMO.

The only thing I wish I ever had the nerve to bot would be leveling. MMO leveling in general is a mess but when you're as old as WoW going through layered over and mechanically bulldozed content for the 8th time, it gets really, really tiresome. Even with heirlooms, tank queues, etc it's not fast enough to make up for how tedious and pointless it is.

Right now I'm just keeping my sub running because the garrison is 10 mins a day to produce enough gold to fuel ~3 tokens a month. Lately I've been getting lax on even logging in to do that though.

have you been doing it in hardmode

Peachblossom could be onto something but when I did the 25m Hard Mode achievement it took me a lot more effort than 10 barrels and some extra shots.

But to answer the original question? No. My gear hasn't changed much at all since I started farming Ulduar 25 regularly months ago and I almost always kill FL right at seven stacks of pyrite. It's been the same since I started farming after hitting level 100 near the start of the expansion from what I can recall.

Maybe it's just nostalgia goggles, even though I didn't play in BC, but man, the BC content just feels so good. It's the rough edges that make it, the lack of streamlining that modern WoW has taken to the extreme. I could go on and on, but yeah. It feels more like what WoW should be, not what it has become.

Also probably has to do with the fact that WoW had Blizzard's A team working on it, rather than the C or B tier team they have on it now (in terms of lead gameplay designers).

Peachpies

almost none of it is "end game" though, it is stuff you do once and then you are done forever with it. Stuff you can do once or twice before it gets old is not a problem by itself but it is a big problem when they pretend it is enough to last the whole tier. Also with the mythic dungeons it just shows how they still have no idea what they are for and are going to keep trying the exact same strategy that watcher just said didn't work.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Maybe it's just nostalgia goggles, even though I didn't play in BC, but man, the BC content just feels so good. It's the rough edges that make it, the lack of streamlining that modern WoW has taken to the extreme. I could go on and on, but yeah. It feels more like what WoW should be, not what it has become.

Also probably has to do with the fact that WoW had Blizzard's A team working on it, rather than the C or B tier team they have on it now (in terms of lead gameplay designers).

I think when people try to discredit BC as nostalgia or something, they fail to take into consideration that BC was a response to the game being the first MMO to break 1 million concurrent subs.

I think a lot of the content was originally designed for patches in vanilla, not as an expansion package. Stuff like Caverns of Time and Hellfire Peninsula were in the game at release, and then the game just went bananas with the sales so they rolled it in the expansion set.

When you think about it, stuff like Karazhan and Caverns of time don't really have anything to do with the "Burning Crusade" do they?
In other news, WoW token seems to have stabilized around 23k, rather than swinging up and down. Dunno if intentional or what's going on.

The past few days it's stabilized, right when they ban a bunch of people.

Maybe a coincidence? lol

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
-Classes are more complex now than they used to be. Destro Warlocks in Burning Crusade raids would literally keep up one debuff and press Shadowbolt really hard and fast to beat everyone else. The game hasn't been "dumbed down" from that.

-Both more casual raiders (Normal difficulty) and hardcore raiders (Mythic difficulty) can now see the entire story. This wasn't possible in older expansions like the Burning Crusade.

And then there's "You don't want the old game back"

If that's true why do they keep shutting down vanilla/bc/wotlk private servers that have a few thousand players on them? =p

I don't think classic servers are a good idea, I would want the new character models, new graphics engine, better addon API and support. They would have to fix bugs if they ever cropped up, even ones people didn't find when the game was current content. If they are having problems getting content for WoW out now imagine if they had 4-5 different WoWs going at the same time.

Barring all that, I think its clear people want a return to form, instead of slowly being convenienced to death.

Renekton

TBC was probably right content right place right time, back when the players had more life to kill. That stuff will not fly in current market, even if Blizz removed the janks.

People decry the short-attention-span convenience and facebook-garrison of WoD on the developers. In the end they are just giving us what we want. We are simply refusing to admit we are part of the convenience culture :)

ampere

6.2 looks like a cool patch, but honestly 6.2 minus the raid should have been 6.1.

The raid is still coming too soon for me, BRF has only been out like 3 months and it's a tough instance. We are going to start extending and putting all of our time into Blackhand, just hope we can get him down.

Some of the highest parses for Hunter dps are using a bot because it just reacts faster than a human can and Hunters can cast while moving so all the player has to do is strafe around.

Robin64

Wtf is Adventure Guide anyway.

So when you log on, you can open up a new page of the Dungeon Journal and it tells you things you can do.

IyqtFoc.png

It's worth noting that it was shown during the WoD unveil and was probably more useful in that iteration.

WF-Dec16-1_t.jpg
WF-Dec16-2_t.jpg

Peachpies

6.2 looks like a cool patch, but honestly 6.2 minus the raid should have been 6.1.

The raid is still coming too soon for me, BRF has only been out like 3 months and it's a tough instance. We are going to start extending and putting all of our time into Blackhand, just hope we can get him down.
6.2 is still most likely more than a month away

Renekton

Some of the highest parses for Hunter dps are using a bot because it just reacts faster than a human can and Hunters can cast while moving so all the player has to do is strafe around.
I wonder if bot can detect and react accordingly to Moonkin's eclipse

ZenaxPure

Adventure guide is a waste of development resources is what it is.

I actually think the concept is a good idea, there are a lot of players who don't keep up with patch notes or ptr news and don't even know what the heck is being added when new content comes out. Problem is they picked the expansion where there is nothing to do to add it. Like literally in that interview all of his examples about how it would be useful was for MoP.

The Garrison campaign sure would have made a lot more sense then. Kinda weird that thing ends with Grom taunting you to meet him inside the jungle so you can see what he really has planned for Draenor... and now he's basically a prisoner. Talk about a quest chain that ended up going no where.

Would have been interesting if Tanaan was a part of 6.1 and focused on wherever that storyline was going and then 6.2 caused the zone to become fel-infused and have a legion presence.

lazygecko

So I purchased the old S1 Paladin Gladiator gear and I was reminded of how weird the chest is. It's like the sleeves are an entirely different texture and it doesn't match any other aspect of the set. You don't really notice it much with the full set on cause the pauldrons mostly obscure the sleeves. Just another one of those oddities in the game.

paladins10ao34.jpg

Another thing with Season 1 gear is how the shaman set, which is a retexture of Tier 4 like every other class, uses the pants mesh on the leg slot instead of the robe one. What's worse is that the Earthern Ring shamans in Orgrimmar/Stormwind that start the Cataclysm zones for you wear this set but with robes! It's like Blizzard is taunting me.

Robin64

Wowhead's Character Planner is actually more useful than the Adventure Journal, even if it is an external resource.

It has guides for recent activity you've been doing, it lists achievements you have almost completed and could work on now, and it has a section of where to go to get gear upgrades in order of difficulty.

Dedicating half the page of Adventure Journal to "Tanaan is out, you should go there" is pretty amusing.

ampere

6.2 is still most likely more than a month away

Even if it's a month, we're only a 2 night guild so that's only 8 raids and he seems quite challenging even with the nerfs. If our attendance is good and people are on their A game it should be doable. We got Furnace recently in just about 2 nights, although our second Furnace kill was a struggle and took 3 hours since our comp was different.

The Garrison campaign sure would have made a lot more sense then. Kinda weird that thing ends with Grom taunting you to meet him inside the jungle so you can see what he really has planned for Draenor... and now he's basically a prisoner. Talk about a quest chain that ended up going no where.

Devs probably changed their mind on the plot last minute lol

Top Bottom