• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT6| This wolf still has teeth

The dumbest thing about WoD is they give you the Toy Box, and eventually the heirlooms tab. And yet, they give you loads of new crap that takes up space in your bags. 10million kinds of fish + bait + flesh. All the follower enhancement tokens. New "toys" that aren't actually toys. Etc.

facepalm.gif

TomServo

The no-flying thing has really helped remove my interest in WoW, but not because I care about flying.

The appeal of the game is that it's social. MMO's are not that immersive, and the content itself is not that compelling. WoW itself is a 10+ year old game. In the end, we're playing because it's a social experience. Whether we admit it or not, we hope that our achievements are noticed by other players, be they a current set of tier armor, a rare mount, or a CM transmog.

When the player base reveals itself to be the whiny brats that this who no-flying thing has, it's hard for me to really want to be social with these people.

Robin64

The dumbest thing about WoD is they give you the Toy Box, and eventually the heirlooms tab. And yet, they give you loads of new crap that takes up space in your bags. 10million kinds of fish + bait + flesh. All the follower enhancement tokens. New "toys" that aren't actually toys. Etc.

facepalm.gif

Yeah, my bags are way more full than they ever have been, even with half the stuff moved out. I don't even keep tabards around anymore just because there's a vendor where you can rebuy them. (Aside from uber rare ones, of course)

Peachpies

The no-flying thing has really helped remove my interest in WoW, but not because I care about flying.

The appeal of the game is that it's social. MMO's are not that immersive, and the content itself is not that compelling. WoW itself is a 10+ year old game. In the end, we're playing because it's a social experience. Whether we admit it or not, we hope that our achievements are noticed by other players, be they a current set of tier armor, a rare mount, or a CM transmog.

When the player base reveals itself to be the whiny brats that this who no-flying thing has, it's hard for me to really want to be social with these people.
Some people actually care about the game and are upset when it is being run into the ground.

ZenaxPure

Some people actually care about the game and are upset when it is being run into the ground.

Not only that I think it's a bit crazy to say that we all play the game because the social experience. I mean jeez, I enjoy the game when my friends play but I keep playing when they are unsubbed anyway because you know, it's just a fun video game. I really do not care about showing off anything in the game lol, like holy crap. I mean rare mounts? I have literally every single one of my mounts on the favorite list thing in-game, I don't care if I roll past someone on an unpainted mechanostrider or some really rare mount, good lord. I use transmog/titles I want to look at not because I care what other people think.

Craziest thing I've read all day.

TomServo

Not only that I think it's a bit crazy to say that we all play the game because the social experience. I mean jeez, I enjoy the game when my friends play but I keep playing when they are unsubbed anyway because you know, it's just a fun video game. I really do not care about showing off anything in the game lol, like holy crap. I mean rare mounts? I have literally every single one of my mounts on the favorite list thing in-game, I don't care if I roll past someone on an unpainted mechanostrider or some really rare mount, good lord. I use transmog/titles I want to look at not because I care what other people think.

In terms of video game experiences, WoW without social interaction is mediocre at best.

The examples I gave were just examples... but I promise you that there's something about the game that keeps you hooked that also depends on the social aspect of the game.

If you can honestly say there isn't, then that's the craziest thing I've read all day, because (again) WoW as a single-player experience is mediocre, at best.

lazygecko

In terms of video game experiences, WoW without social interaction is mediocre at best.

The examples I gave were just examples... but I promise you that there's something about the game that keeps you hooked that also depends on the social aspect of the game.

If you can honestly say there isn't, then that's the craziest thing I've read all day, because (again) WoW as a single-player experience is mediocre, at best.

Yet, for some inexplicable reason, what most people seem to be clamoring for in MMOs today are more in depth, single player-focused quests with voiced NPCs, cutscenes and branching choices. It boggles my mind the way priorities have shifted.

ZenaxPure

Yeah no. I would still play this game if I was the last person subbed to it, the mechanics are still fun after all these years because blizzard has taken care to update things in smart directions (for the most part). You can't promise anything because you don't know what you're talking about.

Also you are completely missing the point Peach was trying to make, blizz's stance on flying isn't what is running the game into the ground, it's a symptom of it. The way they've handled the entire flying stuff is a complete shit show that pretty much sums up everything wrong with the current people running the game.

ZenaxPure

It really shouldn't be. What exactly do you think made WoW a popular game? People like to talk shit about WoW turning into a single player game over the years and yet they somehow forget what made WoW popular was the fact that you could just play alone to max level and have fun doing it - in vanilla. That aspect of the game has been there from the start so let's not pretend it's not always been a huge draw for folks.

Also for the record I'm not saying the social aspects of WoW are bad or anything, I enjoy playing with my friends. But to somehow think that the singular reason people stick with the game is for the social stuff is very naive to the basic foundation WoW was made on.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People who played WoW a lot think it's a hard game to quit due to the time investment until they've actually quit. It's surprisingly easy.

People who played WoW a lot think it's a hard game to quit due to the time investment until they've actually quit. It's surprisingly easy.

It's never been easier to quit WoW. I think my desire to quit didn't really gain criticality until about 3-4 months of SoO. Before that I still have lots of reasons to log in. I'm now at day 8 without so much as checking the auction house. I might not log in again until 6.2 drops. Depends.

I can quit for periods at a time, but I don't know if I could completely give up WoW with the amount of time I've invested in it, particularly since I can play it for free now (at $15 a month though, meh). At least come back for expansions, even if I don't stick around. But that assumes my life circumstances don't change (unlikely) and that I'd still have time to play it.

Though if you told me WoW was shutting down tomorrow, I probably wouldn't mind with the current state of the game, as I do think the overall direction has gone downhill for the most part.

That's the short of it. Got other things on my mind about the game that I can't really put into words right now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If the social structure of the game broke down I wouldn't be logging in very much anymore. As it is I have a strong guild so its been a pretty stable experience on that front for about 4 years now since I joined.

If the social structure of the game broke down I wouldn't be logging in very much anymore. As it is I have a strong guild so its been a pretty stable experience on that front for about 4 years now since I joined.

This is probably key to staying around. If any of my IRL friends still played I'd log in much more regularly. As it is my guild is a ghost town outside of raid nights and lately even the raid nights struggle to see more than 5-6 online and on time.

Ultratech

It really is.

Honestly, the only issue I had was emptying my mailboxes full of crap, which took about a good two days.

Beyond that, wasn't much to it.

Besides...I finally got the time to catch up on other games and movies I didn't have much time for before.

This is probably key to staying around. If any of my IRL friends still played I'd log in much more regularly. As it is my guild is a ghost town outside of raid nights and lately even the raid nights struggle to see more than 5-6 online and on time.

True. At this point, I don't even really have many friends that play anymore, and those who did generally had their own thing going on anyways.

And while I liked that my guild actually took some initiative to raiding this expansion, the guys leading it weren't super bright and seemed to completely lack any strategy when it came to encounters.
First couple of Highmaul runs with them were rough as hell and they couldn't keep a full raid team half the time. (Honestly, I put up with them a little bit longer than I should have.)

ampere

Yeah I would def not play if not for my guild. At this point if this guild breaks up or something I might not have the desire to shop around again, but I do enjoy my current 2 night guild a lot.

I mean I like achievements and mount farming, but that alone doesn't hold my interest enough.

Yeah I would def not play if not for my guild. At this point if this guild breaks up or something I might not have the desire to shop around again, but I do enjoy my current 2 night guild a lot.

I mean I like achievements and mount farming, but that alone doesn't hold my interest enough.

I've never had a steady guild per se, but the group I was running HBRF never set foot in Mythic because of attrition and after 3 straight weeks of carrying alts through farm content (including quite a few wipes on Blackhand) a lot of regulars just stopped showing up. The frustration there is quite real and I worry it'll take even less time for the same point to be reached in Hellfire.

Renekton

Guildless since start of WoD and PUGed everything.

Guilds are very transient except for the stronger ones which don't need your class / spec anyways, so it feels counterproductive to go through the bench->probation->core cycle for the privilege to wipe with people who may disappear after a setback.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I enjoy guilds, but I'm usually able to find a few people to talk to in any guild I join.

I'm all about the progression, baby.

iirate

Guildless since start of WoD and PUGed everything.

Guilds are very transient except for the stronger ones which don't need your class / spec anyways, so it feels counterproductive to go through the bench->probation->core cycle for the privilege to wipe with people who may disappear after a setback.

I need people that I know and like to do group content with. I was happily raiding weekly this expansion until my guild broke up, and I haven't even run LFR in the months since.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So bets on whether we get a patch trailer or not this time?

I'm actually gonna go with...yes. Surprising myself with this but I think they may actually do something to intro the bosses and the new zone.

At this point the reason they're even putting this dude out there is damage control. I think they KNOW they fucked up but they can't figure out why or how they fucked up but they're looking at the 3 million sub loss and going "OMFG". They can say whatever they want on calls with stock holders, but no one loses that many people and goes "yeah, we expected this!"

Grats. Now join me in my quest to make it transmog-able! All our weapons should be Thunderfury!

I prefer my Warglaives (if dual wielding), but yeah.

Speaking of with the time-walking, I think you can use Shadowmourne/Warglaives/etc. That might be fun.

Thunderfury marks every legendary equippable by my DK obtained though. Working on Dragonwrath on my Lock. Val'anyr I haven't really bothered with (would have it by now if my DK could make it), and Thori'dal I haven't bothered farming - maybe I should.

TomServo

At this point the reason they're even putting this dude out there is damage control. I think they KNOW they fucked up but they can't figure out why or how they fucked up but they're looking at the 3 million sub loss and going "OMFG". They can say whatever they want on calls with stock holders, but no one loses that many people and goes "yeah, we expected this!"

In the end, I think they went all in on garrisons and it didn't pay off. There's a part in the Looking for Group documentary where they talk about the large amount of hours that went into garrison art alone, much more than they originally planned. Based on that, I'd say it's not raids or cash shop mounts that took away resources from the more accessible content (i.e. dailies, dungeons, etc), it was the garrisons.

lazygecko

Somehow people think it's worth spending 55g on Potions of Illusion. Guess I found a profitable niche for my alchemist mage. Just teleport to Tol Barad every now and then and gather materials for a new batch.

Holy crap, the custom group trick for mount farming is fkn awesome. I killed Rag 3 times in 5 minutes. I hope this doesn't get patched anytime soon. Im so sick of wasting time farming these fkn mounts.

Holy crap, the custom group trick for mount farming is fkn awesome. I killed Rag 3 times in 5 minutes. I hope this doesn't get patched anytime soon. Im so sick of wasting time farming these fkn mounts.

You have Alysrazor already?

Otherwise, yeah, I'd save a lockout at Rag, aside from the Dragonwrath I'm working on. But it's definitely worth it for Ulduar and ICC. Firelands at least makes some pretty good money if I have to run it all.

You have Alysrazor already?

Otherwise, yeah, I'd save a lockout at Rag, aside from the Dragonwrath I'm working on. But it's definitely worth it for Ulduar and ICC. Firelands at least makes some pretty good money if I have to run it all.

I got aly a bout 2 months ago. Then I had the luck to get him again on back to back weeks.....

I have almost 300k gold, and so done with farming raids, so im happy I can skip this crap, at least for now.

I couldn't get my rag lockout to save. What did you do?and the trick with ICC is to get to Sinestra and stop right? That way you kill her and get saved then kill Arthas?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I somehow doubt this trick for killing raid bosses more than once a week is going to be ignored by Blizzard. Maybe expect temporary bans? I dunno... I'll avoid it, just in case. Unless i'm misunderstanding and its more like getting to the last boss of a raid without needing to do the whole place?

I somehow doubt this trick for killing raid bosses more than once a week is going to be ignored by Blizzard. Maybe expect temporary bans? I dunno... I'll avoid it, just in case. Unless i'm misunderstanding and its more like getting to the last boss of a raid without needing to do the whole place?

It's just sharing the lockout so you don't have to clear the whole place with every character. Been doable for years. It's how people did all the Garrosh carries at the end of MoP. The only new thing being discussed here is using the group finder with yourself so you don't have to bother another person (or have another account) around to do so. You're not killing the boss any more than you would be able to otherwise - still limited to once per week per character.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I killed up to general vezex, lich king, and Ragnaros on my warrior.

Every week on tuesday, I log on to my warrior, extend the raid lockout in the raid menu, and make a group in the group finder and turn on auto-invite

Log out, log onto my alts and get into the group on the group finder automatically, wait about 2-3 minutes to get group lead and switch it to whatever difficulty you want (ulduar and ICC require 25 man, ICC is heroic, iirc pureblood firehawk drops on any difficulty) and just walk into the raid, and you're at the last boss.

Warrior doesn't get saved because he isn't there, bosses get killed and I get to skip everything but mount bosses.

I have 11 level 100s but I only do it each week on my warlock. I'd go insane if I did it 10 times a week =p

I couldn't get my rag lockout to save. What did you do?and the trick with ICC is to get to Sinestra and stop right? That way you kill her and get saved then kill Arthas?

I kill up to last the boss, then make a custom group. its optional to make auto invite, it saves 2 log outs, but you run the chance of random assholes joining your group. Once your make the group, go on your alt, join the group, then zone into the instance you want to get the boss kill in. You have to wait 2 minutes, then you become group leader because your main saving the spot is offline. Once you become group leader, uninvite your main and delist your group.

Top Bottom